PDA

View Full Version : [MOD] Better AI sounds

M4MKey
15-01-2016, 14:44
Here is a little mod I'm doing right now, trying to get better balanced engine sounds between player and AI/opponents.

Here is the link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/6th2pyuxdkely99/Better+sounds+v1.1.rar

As usual, you need to have the JDougNY mod first to use this.

I'm open to any suggestion :)

changelog:

v1.0 : initial release
v1.1 : fix for some AI cars not audible. Better balanced audio.

ELAhrairah
15-01-2016, 16:27
just tried this mod with 55 cars at la sarthe. hood cam.

My experience

- Maybe its placebo effect but I could hear more engine noise detail from my own car which was nice ( toyota ts040)
- Ambient sound and other cars (GT's other prototypes) I could hear less.

Pro:

More own engine sound detail ( hood cam) but again this could be just me.

con:

Not really this is a nice mod

Advise from humble me who cannot even mod:

Turn the sound from surrounding cars a bit more up. But again this is personal preference. ;)

Thx for al these great mods lately.

M4MKey
15-01-2016, 17:06
Hmmm that's weird, because for sure the opponents volume has been upped. ( almost four times ).

ELAhrairah
15-01-2016, 17:19
Hmmm that's weird, because for sure the opponents volume has been upped. ( almost four times ).

I had a hard time hearing them. I even drove next to lmp2 and GT during quali just to hear their engine volume.
Maybe its my own sound setup? I will try again with extra attention to my own hardware.:yes:

M4MKey
15-01-2016, 17:30
Here is one issue I can't really fix :

The more cars you want sound for ( atm, this is 16 ), the less detailled each car will be individually... So if you want extra good detailled sound for near opponent cars, this parameter should be low. If you want more ambient general sound, from many cars, you want this higher.

ELAhrairah
15-01-2016, 19:10
Hey m4mkey i made a recording from stationairy car on the track and the strange thing is some cars do not make noise
Maybe its the game? Check the first view cars make no noise as they drive by the others domake noise.

Maybe this is just my pcars :

http://youtu.be/yo2r_VQ3QlE

M4MKey
15-01-2016, 20:55
Wow... that's quite bad... I have to understand more how this works. But it really like there's some kind of clipping involved in the sound engine. Gotta check that later for sure.

EDIT : So i'm attempting to fix that atm... It seems that "MaxAIEngineSounds" parameter is the culprit. The default is 6. I made it to 16, to have three times more AI cars having engine sounds... but then some cars don't have any sound at all... I don't understand how this engine is working >_<

EDIT 2 : New version that should fix the non audible cars issue :) http://www.mediafire.com/download/6th2pyuxdkely99/Better+sounds+v1.1.rar

ELAhrairah
16-01-2016, 15:18
Wow... that's quite bad... I have to understand more how this works. But it really like there's some kind of clipping involved in the sound engine. Gotta check that later for sure.

EDIT : So i'm attempting to fix that atm... It seems that "MaxAIEngineSounds" parameter is the culprit. The default is 6. I made it to 16, to have three times more AI cars having engine sounds... but then some cars don't have any sound at all... I don't understand how this engine is working >_<

EDIT 2 : New version that should fix the non audible cars issue :) http://www.mediafire.com/download/6th2pyuxdkely99/Better+sounds+v1.1.rar

I will try it again this evening :cool:

Engine Of Darkness
16-01-2016, 15:33
@M4MKey

"MaxAIEngineSounds" - I tried this back in the NFS Shift Modding days and the same issue happened with some car not having sound anymore.

Did you just revert it to 6 or did you find a workaround?

M4MKey
16-01-2016, 16:42
I reverted it back to 6. And made other little adjustments in terms of ambient volume. I'd love to find a way to increase the backfire volume inside the cockpit but this is something locked into .csd files for each car. And this isn't a "per view" parameter :x

Stones
18-01-2016, 01:54
I get as far as "preparing to dl" from media fire but, that's about it.

TassyDevil
18-01-2016, 04:36
It works for me mate.
Sounds from opponents cars are much louder and I can really hear them coming behind and passing.
Definitely not a placebo effect.

Great job..:yes:

Hey same thing with your AI Lighting mod... Great effort.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?44034-AI-Lighting-Mod

TassyDevil
18-01-2016, 07:27
I seem to hear much louder tire noise eg screeching tires etc plus other noises.
Am I imagining this or does this mode effect these noises as well as the cars?

Invincible
18-01-2016, 07:42
I seem to hear much louder tire noise eg screeching tires etc plus other noises.
Am I imagining this or does this mode effect these noises as well as the cars?

That's what I thought too. I hear much more tire screeching. And I can clearly hear my opponents too. Sometimes, I even missed a shift because I hear the opponents in a packed field louder than my own car (v1.1).

Bealdor
18-01-2016, 07:49
That's what I thought too. I hear much more tire screeching. And I can clearly hear my opponents too. Sometimes, I even missed a shift because I hear the opponents in a packed field louder than my own car (v1.1).

IIRC engine and tire sounds are connected. So that observation would make sense.

Invincible
18-01-2016, 08:03
IIRC engine and tire sounds are connected. So that observation would make sense.

Not really, unless MY tires are linked with the opponents engines. For my perception at least, the engine noise level of my own engine remained the same, only the tire screeches of my car and the engine noises of the Ai cars were increased.

TassyDevil
18-01-2016, 08:51
Well whatever, pleased I wasn't dreaming, it is still a better sound.
Thanks again.

M4MKey
18-01-2016, 11:26
Not really, unless MY tires are linked with the opponents engines. For my perception at least, the engine noise level of my own engine remained the same, only the tire screeches of my car and the engine noises of the Ai cars were increased.

That's almost 100% correct :) Our own engine sound hasn't moved a lot, it may be a little bit quieter though... Tire sound and contact road nosie ( and wind noise ) have been upped a little bit. Opponents engine noise have been almost upped by four times. Crowd noise have been reduced ( I always found it weird that noise of people in grandstands would be louder than a car flyby :) )

About our engine being quiter, let's understand that it's all about balance. I can't just up everything as it wouldn't make more much sense. I'd love to be able to change engine sound per car ( which is possible, but not in the range I would like to ), external and onboard view are quite unbalanced too.

I think this mod is working the nicest with cockpit/onboard sounds :)

Rober
18-01-2016, 11:58
I liked the mod when I tested it (v1.0) but I have problems hearing my own engine depending on the car even with default sounds and, like a lot others, I shift gear by ear.

Suggestion: Maybe is asking a lot but the question is if those values can be exposed for us to change or a minimal frontend can be done to make our own volumen adjustments, with separated sliders for each thing like we wanted for the game: tyres, backgrounds, etc.

Thanks to all the guys involved improving the game with mods!

Invincible
18-01-2016, 12:01
I liked the mod when I tested it (v1.0) but I have problems hearing my own engine depending on the car even with default sounds and, like a lot others, I shift gear by ear.

Suggestion: Maybe is asking a lot but the question is if those values can be exposed for us to change or a minimal frontend can be done to make our own volumen adjustments, with separated sliders for each thing like we wanted for the game: tyres, backgrounds, etc.

Thanks to all the guys involved improving the game with mods!

^^ This. Or maybe having a separate version, where the Ai engines are only increased to three times instead of four, so you can still clearly hear your own engine while driving in a tight pack.

M4MKey
18-01-2016, 14:22
Here is a tweaked version, with less volume for the AI, should make your own car sounds a little bit louder. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ih89nljmao2cuon/Better+sounds+v1.1+Less+AI+volume.rar

As for making a GUI to make it customizable for each individual, I do not use this kind of skill unfortunately.

Invincible
18-01-2016, 14:23
Here is a tweaked version, with less volume for the AI, should make your own car sounds a little bit louder. http://www.mediafire.com/download/ih89nljmao2cuon/Better+sounds+v1.1+Less+AI+volume.rar

Ah great! Thank you! I will give it a go as soon as I fire up my computer at home.

TassyDevil
22-01-2016, 07:00
This version works a bit better for me.
The AI made it a bit hard to hear my own car but now seems ok.

Thanks for the quick response mate.

Invincible
22-01-2016, 07:18
Ah, sorry, forgot to respond after testing the new setting. It's great now, I still can hear the Ai very clearly, but also can hear my own engine, even during the start! Thanks a lot for your effort M4MKey!

Rober
22-01-2016, 07:45
I concur, a lot better. :)

TassyDevil
25-01-2016, 12:11
Is there any problem with this mod since patch 8?

TassyDevil
26-01-2016, 00:48
Is there any problem with this mod since patch 8?
Looks like there is...
Goes back to desktop after starting JSGME and activating sound mod.

:(

F3n3k
26-01-2016, 14:09
No problem for me.

And thanks for this mod ;)

M4MKey
26-01-2016, 15:44
Looks like there is...
Goes back to desktop after starting JSGME and activating sound mod.

:(

Hi there. This must be on your side. As I don't have any issues, like others ^^

rangerman65
28-01-2016, 17:49
Thanks for the mod M4MKey. I would just like to know what parameter in the xml files would decrease road noise ? Many thanks

dnl0319
09-02-2016, 16:10
Is it possible to enable this mod online?

IJOJOI
09-02-2016, 20:48
Is it possible to enable this mod online?

YES

dnl0319
09-02-2016, 20:54
Okay, i tried, but the sound of the Z4 GT3 was very very loud. And the other cars too...

dnl0319
12-02-2016, 22:18
Do u need to update this mod for Patch 9.0?

M4MKey
14-02-2016, 09:42
the unlocker needs to be updated. Not the mod itself. :)

dnl0319
14-02-2016, 14:51
the unlocker needs to be updated. Not the mod itself. :)

yeah right, sorry my fault :)

Telstar
16-02-2016, 18:38
Although I really like this mod as it improves the atmosphere, it is very loud most of the time. Just did a Group A race at Zolder, I was driving the Mercedes DTM. Despite having a lead of about 2 seconds and being ahead of approximately 150 meters, the only thing I could hear were the bunch of Mercs, BMW and Ford Sierras behind me. Hearing my own engine and its revs was really hard. Any possibility of improving your mod or changing the mod files by myself?

M4MKey
16-02-2016, 21:29
Open gameaudiosettings.xml in the Audio folder of the mod ( before activating it of course ).

The lines you're interested in are thoses :

<prop name="CarCategory_MaximumVolume" data="0.45" />
<prop name="Car2Category_MaximumVolume" data="0.45" />
<prop name="OpponentCarCategory_MaximumVolume" data="0.95" />

I didn't find a way to understand in what Car and Car2Category were different, so I suggest keeping the same value between them. Those lines are about you're own engine sound.
The last one is self explanatory. It's about the AI sound. Default SMS settings is something about 0.4 IIRC.

Edit those values, and activate the mod to try.

sbXII
17-02-2016, 17:01
Thx mate for your mod!

Btw - do you know if there are any values to edit the crowds noises and the intro music?

Lars Geraae
23-02-2016, 17:50
Hi there.

Can you disable the crowd noise, because even if I disable it though Steam/Property -skipcrowds, I can hear them clearly. When I disable your mod, the noise is gone.

@sbXII -skipcrowds

Lars Geraae
23-02-2016, 18:39
Hi there.

Can you disable the crowd noise, because even if I disable it though Steam/Property -skipcrowds, I can hear them clearly. When I disable your mod, the noise is gone.

@sbXII -skipcrowds

Never mind: SFX sound is disabled. That did the trick and can still hear the cars. :cool:

Stones
27-03-2016, 00:05
Will this mod be updated to work with patch 10?

Thanks

M4MKey
27-03-2016, 09:27
Let's wait a bit to give a real answer. At the moment I don't know if it can be updated or not. The mod required the full unlocker of JDougNy and i'm not sure he'll try to make a new one for the patch10 as a lot of things have changed for the modding. We may have more info on both side ( JDougNy and SMS ) in the next couple of days, then I'll be able to give a proper answer.

JDougNy
27-03-2016, 13:16
Well....anything is possible. I now know what needs to be done for patch 10. I'm just not wanting SMS to block anything further that I'm capable of "unlocking". I'll review what is needed to get this mod working and see if by allowing it to function, other assets pertaining to multiplayer are not open for modification.

Stones
27-03-2016, 14:36
Thanks for the response gents. Much appreciated.

M4MKey
28-03-2016, 13:05
For information... This mod IS working. It just needs an unlocker. As I am using Crowtrobot's custom grid tool ( which is merged with an unlocker ), adding my mod to JSGME after the customgrid mod is working perfectly.

LamboMantisMan23
28-03-2016, 14:43
I think the whole point of the new mod support is that people will stop the unpacking... You can add cars without the unpacker and I think SMS wanted people to stop running the game completely loose. OF COURSE JD can still supply us will an unloacker but I guess it is up to you if you to seperate things again.

M4MKey
28-03-2016, 14:50
I understand what you mean Lambo. But if the new mod support isn't supporting tweaking of visual/sound of the game. Then I'll be disappointed. You're making great and amazing cars. But if the new mod support is just about adding cars, then a lot of little tweaks won't be possible anymore.

And to be able to have a decent AI sounds, with correct lights, and better effects ( hope Maxx will be able to make this work again ) is something some people want too. Because modding isn't simply about adding content.

I don't think the tweaks that were available here were breaking the game in any way. It helped "fix" some lack of settings on the game.

Also, if the new mod support from SMS does support those mods of mine, I'll do my best to make them work without any unpacking.

crowtrobot
28-03-2016, 14:58
I think the whole point of the new mod support is that people will stop the unpacking... You can add cars without the unpacker and I think SMS wanted people to stop running the game completely loose. OF COURSE JD can still supply us will an unloacker but I guess it is up to you if you to seperate things again.
Well, they haven't yet implemented any other way to reclassify the cars outside of unpacking or edit the career files, so I'm going to have to keep up with some amount of unpacking to keep the Grid Tool, Livery Tool and Career Tool running. This new mod support is incredibly helpful from an add-on car perspective, but that's not the be-all-end-all of modding.

LamboMantisMan23
28-03-2016, 15:08
This new mod support is incredibly helpful from an add-on car perspective, but that's not the be-all-end-all of modding.

That is what I am saying. Maybe this is all SMS wanted

crowtrobot
28-03-2016, 15:41
That is what I am saying. Maybe this is all SMS wanted
I don't think that's the case given some tangential support of the Grid/Livery mods...I certainly hope not at any rate.

JDougNy
28-03-2016, 17:21
The situation were in now is that in the process of running some assets unpacked, other non-related things seem to be breaking. For instance, running weatherdata unpacked causes some effects to break (such as tyre smoke..in clear weather even). Of course, I and a few others can supply most of the game unpacked, but how many game properties will be broken as a result of running things in unpacked form. Also, since patch 10, pCars seems to read some binary materials, while not reading others. So, there's the changing of BMT to MTX to fix any of that in unpacked assets.
In the case of this sound mod, only bootflow is needed. Bootflow might not break things unpacked. Crowtrobot may have tested this pretty well with the recent update to his mod.

M4MKey
01-04-2016, 22:07
Edited.

Stones
24-04-2016, 21:43
For information... This mod IS working. It just needs an unlocker. As I am using Crowtrobot's custom grid tool ( which is merged with an unlocker ), adding my mod to JSGME after the customgrid mod is working perfectly.
Just now saw this... and... confirmed. Really enjoy the immersion with this mod.

Thanks

mw98
04-06-2016, 14:43
Any new information regarding mod support/documentation? Support for pCARS1 seems to have ended, so is this also the end of all hopes regarding maxx's particle mod or the AI light mod?

Schumi-
04-06-2016, 14:55
Any new information regarding mod support/documentation? Support for pCARS1 seems to have ended, so is this also the end of all hopes regarding maxx's particle mod or the AI light mod?

Totally agree with you there, i really miss the the AI light mod, could have done with it last night around Le-mans.

M4MKey
05-06-2016, 11:58
There is no news to give as SMS won't give any information on how to make those mods work with the new modding system. Even though, those two mods can still work together and I still use them. AI lights mod is working as a standalone. It needs particules set to Ultra ingame. And it seems particules are less dense with the mods. But I have no workaround for that.
As for the sound mod, i'm using an old unpacking of the game to make it work. I may, at some point, try to make it standalone, but this really low on my priority list atm.

Schumi-
05-06-2016, 12:49
There is no news to give as SMS won't give any information on how to make those mods work with the new modding system. Even though, those two mods can still work together and I still use them. AI lights mod is working as a standalone. It needs particules set to Ultra ingame. And it seems particules are less dense with the mods. But I have no workaround for that.
As for the sound mod, i'm using an old unpacking of the game to make it work. I may, at some point, try to make it standalone, but this really low on my priority list atm.

Thanks very much for that info, will give the Ai lighting another go, hopefully SMS, may give you some info in the near future to get these brilliant essential mods working again.

Thanks

incneet
29-07-2017, 11:02
guys, how i install this mod?