PDA

View Full Version : [iOS app]Race Dash for pCARS

Davey-Gravy
15-01-2016, 16:28
Now that the UDP stream exists, I've been able to combine 2 of my favourite pastimes; coding and Project CARS.

Here's my attempt at a telemetry app - it's an LCD style dash with 3 different layouts and colour schemes. It's for iPhone, iPad, iPod and uses the UDP method for data so should work for PC/PS4/XBOX1

More info is available here: http://www.sllim-code.com/race-dash-for-pcars/

David

Robhd
15-01-2016, 16:31
Will give ths a go... Is it possible you could fit in the time gap to car in front and behind as well as that info is incredibly useful when racing?

Davey-Gravy
15-01-2016, 17:00
Will give ths a go... Is it possible you could fit in the time gap to car in front and behind as well as that info is incredibly useful when racing?

I've started playing around with the timing stuff in the stream as I intend to use it a bit more in a future update so I'll have to see what's possible. At the moment this just displays best/last lap and a lap delta.

Davey-Gravy
18-01-2016, 13:05
I've sent v1.1 to the App Store for approval which includes a few small tweaks as follows:

Performance optimisations
More visible close button/swipe down to close
Metric/imperial units for speed and temperature can now be set separately.
Improved menus to explain what the options are.

Hopefully this will be approved and live in the next few days.

David

Fre.Mo
19-01-2016, 08:39
Now that the UDP stream exists, I've been able to combine 2 of my favourite pastimes; coding and Project CARS.

Here's my attempt at a telemetry app - it's an LCD style dash with 3 different layouts and colour schemes. It's for iPhone, iPad, iPod and uses the UDP method for data so should work for PC/PS4/XBOX1

More info is available here: http://www.sllim-code.com/race-dash-for-pcars/

David

Good Job!
I love this LCD look dash.

Davey-Gravy
19-01-2016, 10:41
Good Job!
I love this LCD look dash.

Very kind, thank you.

I'm working on another screen layout with a bit more car data on it at the moment and then I'll dive into timing stuff I think.

David

moniker_a
20-01-2016, 21:31
Nice work on the app. Looking forward to seeing the update with more information. Any chance there will be a shift indicator flash?

Davey-Gravy
20-01-2016, 22:45
Nice work on the app. Looking forward to seeing the update with more information. Any chance there will be a shift indicator flash?

Many thanks. A shift indicator flash is something a few have requested so I'm trying to decided how best to implement it. My current thinking is to flash the whole background colour but I'm open to suggestions at this stage.

Davey-Gravy
21-01-2016, 10:19
I've sent v1.1 to the App Store for approval which includes a few small tweaks as follows:

Performance optimisations
More visible close button/swipe down to close
Metric/imperial units for speed and temperature can now be set separately.
Improved menus to explain what the options are.

Hopefully this will be approved and live in the next few days.

David

This update is now live in the App Store.

Fre.Mo
22-01-2016, 09:59
Many thanks. A shift indicator flash is something a few have requested so I'm trying to decided how best to implement it. My current thinking is to flash the whole background colour but I'm open to suggestions at this stage.

Can this threshold depends on car? I suppose that you can push harder a LMP1 car engine than a Renault Clio one...

Davey-Gravy
22-01-2016, 11:42
Can this threshold depends on car? I suppose that you can push harder a LMP1 car engine than a Renault Clio one...

In theory yes - the telemetry data includes the max RPM of the car in use which is how I calculate the RPM bars already - they're just a certain percentage of the max.

Davey-Gravy
26-01-2016, 16:35
v1.2 is pending App Store approval so will hopefully available soon. The changes are as follows:

-New screen with more detailed car information
-New LCD colour option
-Customisable RPM intervals
-Optional dash light flash as a shift indicator
-Fixed an issue that might show the wrong current lap

jimmyb_84
26-01-2016, 16:42
v1.2 is pending App Store approval so will hopefully available soon. The changes are as follows:

-New LCD colour option

great stuff any screen shots?

Hats off for programming an app, I've tried and failed it really hard!

Davey-Gravy
26-01-2016, 21:37
great stuff any screen shots?

Hats off for programming an app, I've tried and failed it really hard!

I've attached a couple of screenshots.

The learning curve with iOS can be quite steep if you're new to it so stick with it. You should start with a Hello World app and go from there!

inthebagbud
26-01-2016, 22:33
added to the api section of the Pcars Resources Thread (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38864-Forum-Resources-for-Pcars)

Davey-Gravy
26-01-2016, 23:20
added to the api section of the Pcars Resources Thread (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38864-Forum-Resources-for-Pcars)

Much appreciated, thanks.

JohnSchoonsBeard
26-01-2016, 23:48
I've tried to buy this as I like to support all of the developers. However your app needs iOS 8.0 I have an ipod touch which only has iOS 6.0

Is there any way you could make it work on older versions too? I'm running PCars Dash on it with no problems.

Davey-Gravy
27-01-2016, 08:58
I've tried to buy this as I like to support all of the developers. However your app needs iOS 8.0 I have an ipod touch which only has iOS 6.0

Is there any way you could make it work on older versions too? I'm running PCars Dash on it with no problems.

I'm not sure is the short answer. There's a few reasons why it's iOS8+ at the moment and I'm not certain they can all be overcome without a total re-write but I'll take another look at it.

Fre.Mo
27-01-2016, 13:21
I love the display, it s quite realistic!
A slight visual improvement should be a new design of the rpm bars like this (if possible):

everything else is near perfect for me.
Please could you also add the fuel remaining in litres and not only in % and bigger font for Speed.

jimmyb_84
27-01-2016, 13:31
I've attached a couple of screenshots.

The learning curve with iOS can be quite steep if you're new to it so stick with it. You should start with a Hello World app and go from there!

Cheers for the screenshots looks great now to buy without the Mrs noticing ;)

Your right about the learning curve it's very hard. I have created a basic UI for what I want to do but just cannot get anything to work as I want, I need to to understand int, double/array and string a bit more but still think my end goal is too adventurous.

I have a little project with a current developer ongoing we'll see if we can get it to work. (I'm math but not the actual coding).

Look forward to your future updates/features

Davey-Gravy
28-01-2016, 11:38
A slight visual improvement should be a new design of the rpm bars like this (if possible):

Please could you also add the fuel remaining in litres and not only in % and bigger font for Speed.

I'll note these two tweaks for the next update as they seem sensible - not sure why I didn't put the fuel in litres to be honest, the gauge shows % anyway effectively.

Davey-Gravy
28-01-2016, 11:40

The curved RPM bar does look good, I'll bear it in mind! I do like the backlight colour on that too...

Fre.Mo
28-01-2016, 13:41
The curved RPM bar does look good, I'll bear it in mind! I do like the backlight colour on that too...

The backlight colour of your app is good enough.
Concerning the RPM bar, maybe a first improvement should consist (In My Opinion) in one side bar (instead of symmetric bars located apart from the gear indicator) with more smaller bar steps.

Davey-Gravy
28-01-2016, 21:02
The backlight colour of your app is good enough.
Concerning the RPM bar, maybe a first improvement should consist (In My Opinion) in one side bar (instead of symmetric bars located apart from the gear indicator) with more smaller bar steps.

Thanks, always open to suggestions so will bear it in mind.

David

Davey-Gravy
29-01-2016, 14:16

-New LCD colour option

This update is now live in the App Store.

Fre.Mo
30-01-2016, 07:58
I really impressed by this app.
Is it possible to add icons to show wich assists are on, if lights are on, if water and oil temperature are above the treshold.

Davey-Gravy
30-01-2016, 16:31
I really impressed by this app.
Is it possible to add icons to show wich assists are on, if lights are on, if water and oil temperature are above the treshold.

:D

I wanted to implement status lights for the aids but the necessary info isn't sent in the data stream. The only status that is possible is headlights. Unfortunately there's also no max threshold info sent for oil and water temps and I assume each car would be different.

Davey-Gravy
02-02-2016, 09:56
I'm not sure is the short answer. There's a few reasons why it's iOS8+ at the moment and I'm not certain they can all be overcome without a total re-write but I'll take another look at it.

I've had a look, and unfortunately the app looks like a car crash when compiled for iOS7, let alone iOS6, so I'm afraid it'll be too much work to try and straighten it out. Sorry!

Fre.Mo
04-02-2016, 07:16
Is it possible to add a screen with the laptimes and current gap of the whole players?

Davey-Gravy
04-02-2016, 11:08
Is it possible to add a screen with the laptimes and current gap of the whole players?

That's certainly my intention for the next major update. :D

Fre.Mo
05-02-2016, 07:02
That's certainly my intention for the next major update. :D

I can t wait seeing the 2.0 upgrade... :D

Davey-Gravy
12-02-2016, 08:50
v1.3 is now live in the App Store with a few small changes:

-Fuel remaining is now shown in litres
-New backlight colour
-Several small visual tweaks such as larger speed numbers

http://www.sllim-code.com/race-dash-for-pcars/

Fre.Mo
12-02-2016, 13:42
Your app is really great Davey, keep pushing for the 1.4 upgrade...

jimmyb_84
25-02-2016, 09:38
Hi Davy,

As you may know (or not) I'm attempting to learn swift programming from scratch with no prior knowledge to it before. I'm just wondering how you structure your fuel math for example.

I've been experimenting with [class] and [struct] and I'm just wondering what you use, from my very limited knowledge I believe [struct] is the way to go as each value remains and isn't overridden.

apologies if you use Objective C

Davey-Gravy
25-02-2016, 17:02
Hi Davy,

As you may know (or not) I'm attempting to learn swift programming from scratch with no prior knowledge to it before. I'm just wondering how you structure your fuel math for example.

I've been experimenting with [class] and [struct] and I'm just wondering what you use, from my very limited knowledge I believe [struct] is the way to go as each value remains and isn't overridden.

apologies if you use Objective C

Hi Jimmy,

I am using Objective C but I imagine those terms mean the same across both languages. I use a struct to pump the data into as it's received from the UDP stream, this is the easiest way (I think!) to get all of the raw binary data from the network into the correct formats for the data types. The contents of this struct gets updated every time a packet is received from the network and then I perform operations on that data.

Hope this helps!
David

Davey-Gravy
17-03-2016, 09:14
V1.4 is now live in the App Store with the following changes:

-All dash screens (apart from Dash 2) now have a popup history screen that shows your last 10 lap times and last 10 laps fuel usage. An average for fuel usage is also shown
-KERS info now displayed
-Smoother brake and tyre temperatures to prevent them jumping around
-Additional backlight colour

Davey-Gravy
06-04-2016, 10:34
V1.5 is now live in the App Store with the following changes:

*Race Dash for pCARS is now free to try - use it for Brands Hatch (Indy and GP) fully featured with no limits – upgrade to enable it for all other circuits (existing users will have no limits)
*Revised layout for dashboard 4 – new tyre wear gauges and driver aids
*Numerous other little fixes and improvements

http://www.sllim-code.com/race-dash-for-pcars/ (http://www.sllim-code.com/race-dash-for-pcars)

Fre.Mo
06-04-2016, 18:10
Great work Davey, I love the tyre gauges.

BeMu
24-04-2016, 12:25
Nice app man, really useful. My only suggestion is a screen layout for laptimes over a session and maybe one with race standings :)

Davey-Gravy
26-04-2016, 07:55
Nice app man, really useful. My only suggestion is a screen layout for laptimes over a session and maybe one with race standings :)

Thank you kindly. Race info such as timing is in the works but some way off at this stage.

David

Fre.Mo
27-04-2016, 20:08
Thank you kindly. Race info such as timing is in the works but some way off at this stage.

David

Can t wait seeing this feature in Race Dash.

Fre.Mo
21-05-2016, 08:34
Any news on the progress of the Race Info Data in this marvelous app?

Davey-Gravy
21-05-2016, 10:29
Any news on the progress of the Race Info Data in this marvelous app?

Unfortunately, progress has been slow to non-existent over the last month or so due to other commitments - hopefully I should be back up to speed in June.

David

aestrems
23-05-2016, 07:06
Don't worry and Keep pushing, your app is amazing!

Davey-Gravy
07-06-2016, 10:46
V1.6 is now live in the App Store with the following changes:

-New dashboard layout
-Improved gauges for KERS/fuel on dashboard 4
-Bug fixes

Fre.Mo
07-06-2016, 12:23
The new dashboard is great. I like in particular the tyre temps which are centred on the screen and this allows to see in a wink the whole temperatures. This should be also used for the other dash screen.

Davey-Gravy
27-06-2016, 12:02
This should be also used for the other dash screen.

Good idea, I've tweaked this in the next update.

Davey-Gravy
29-06-2016, 05:42
v1.7 is now available in the App Store with the following improvements:

*New style dash with 6 different data screens (swipe to change)
*Change new dash screens or toggle lap/fuel history with a controller button - choose this in settings
*Dash 4 - small tweak to move brake and tyre temps closer together for easier viewing (thanks Fred!)
*Numerous stability and performance improvements

Giovtec
30-06-2016, 15:37
Hello!

Great app, I just saw a small issue. I tested at brands hatch, it seems like the AVG text is over the fuel use numbers or vise versa :)

Tested on my iPad

Davey-Gravy
30-06-2016, 16:59
Great app, I just saw a small issue. I tested at brands hatch, it seems like the AVG text is over the fuel use numbers or vise versa :)

Ah! thanks for the feedback, not sure how that's gone wrong. I'll take a look.

Thanks
David

Davey-Gravy
03-07-2016, 06:06
Ah! thanks for the feedback, not sure how that's gone wrong. I'll take a look.

Thanks
David

This is now fixed in v1.7.5 which is currently waiting for review.

Thanks again for raising the issue
David

Davey-Gravy
05-07-2016, 10:04
V1.7.5 is now live in the App Store with the following changes:

- Added reset buttons to the lap time and fuel history screens for quick clearing of data
- Fixed an issue with the AVG. text displaying incorrectly on some devices (thanks Giovtec)
- Several bug fixes to improve stability

Fre.Mo
06-07-2016, 19:56
God job. The reset buttons are a great feature.
Will the drivers laps be in the next patch?

Davey-Gravy
07-07-2016, 15:36
Thanks Fre.Mo

Probably not, I do most of my dev in my lunch hour, away from a PS4 so it's hard to work on that part as it requires a lot of investigative work - it's progressing slowly!

Fre.Mo
08-07-2016, 07:43
Thanks for the answer.
What improvement do you plan next?
I think your multiple dashboards are great with all the valuable informations and work flawless. I don t see anything else to add concerning the car data but race ones should be a tremendous upgrade for the app since they are essential during qualif and race sessions. But quality is time consuming so take your time.

Davey-Gravy
12-07-2016, 15:42
Thanks Fre.Mo. Not sure what's next, perhaps another dash in the style of the latest but we'll see. It's too tempting just to race rather than code :D

Davey-Gravy
29-07-2016, 11:51
V1.8 is now live in the App Store with the following changes:

- Added another new modern dash layout
- Fixed an issue with selecting the pressure units

Davey-Gravy
02-12-2016, 16:17
V1.8.6 is live in the App Store with the following changes:

- Fixes an issue where custom RPM light settings wouldn't save - sorry about that!

Happy racing!

Also, if anyone races F1 2016 - I now have a similar dash app for that available - Race Dash for F1 2016 game:

http://www.sllim-code.com/race-dash-for-2016-game/

Davey-Gravy
15-12-2016, 07:56
V1.9 is now live in the App Store with the following changes:

-Added the fuel and lap histories to the list of changeable data on modern dash 2
-One time help screens for all dashboards to help you discover the extra features or views available
-Fixed a few little visual issues

ct200xus
18-12-2016, 07:48
This is really cool. Does it support the latest iOS 10.2?

Davey-Gravy
18-12-2016, 12:08
This is really cool. Does it support the latest iOS 10.2?

No known issues with iOS 10.2.

Thanks
David

Davey-Gravy
19-09-2017, 20:59
V2.0 is now live in the App Store with the following changes:

-Apple Watch support
-Swipe between up to 10 dashes quickly during races
-Full choice of colour customisation for the dashboard screens
-Separate configuration for 15 segment RPM displays
-iOS 11 compatibility
-iPad Pro 10.5 and iPhone X support

Gav88888
14-10-2017, 21:51
Be handy if it worked on ios7 lol

Davey-Gravy
14-10-2017, 22:08
Sorry iOS9 as a minimum these days. iOS7 support simply isn’t worth the development time due to the low usage numbers. iOS9 is supported on devices back to the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 which are pretty old...

Diablo944
15-10-2017, 06:03
The march of progress, always a shame. For those with jailbreaks (which contrary to opinion is not always about piracy, its about being able to tweak ios to suit rather than being stuck with what apple dictates), especially those who valued non tethered jailbreaks, ios stopped at ios 8.xx and unfortunately a great deal of the apps written are getting to be out of reach of those users. Some apps with the right cydia stuff can still be accessed in the app store if a previous version was compatible. But only the jailbreak users can get them. Those without it are just told 'the app requires ios9>' and thats that.

Anyway, moving on. Awesome app mate. You may already have done this in later revisions than ios8 can access, but coloured segments of the rev counter, ie green, yellow, red like some wheels now have (and which the t300 has none of) would be a nice option. The monochrome looks good but the simulation of colour would be more eye catching and easier to identify (especially with older eyes) along with letting t300 users say that the flashy lights on a g29 are not that exciting when we can have the same and lots more through your app. The flash option at redline was apreciated, but is easily missed. As a non coder I am aware I am asking for something that appears simple but is likely a nightmare in reality.

Davey-Gravy
16-10-2017, 10:33
Ah OK, I'm not familiar with the jailbreak scene.

There are now a couple of modern style dashboards which have the coloured lights at the top (red, green blue) like F1 cockpits but I think I added those in at v1.7 which may have missed the cut for the version you're on.