PDA

View Full Version : Question for Xbox One wheel users and headsets

Linx
16-01-2016, 22:57
I've been using my PS4 for Pcars but recently bought a Xbox One for Pcars and Forza 6. Soon I plan to be racing against friends on the Xbox One using my Fanatec CSW V2 which does not have a headset input. What are you guys using to play online and chat? If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Playstation uses regular Bluetooth. Also, would I be able to get a wired headset and plug it into the controller while using the wheel to race? Thanks.

llll DEMON IIII
17-01-2016, 00:58
I have a controller pluged in (so it doesn't turn itself off) and my head set connected to it. It's not ideal but Xbox is all about compromise...

Linx
17-01-2016, 01:03
I have a controller pluged in (so it doesn't turn itself off) and my head set connected to it. It's not ideal but Xbox is all about compromise...
Where do you have the controller plugged to? On the XBone there's only one USB on the side which is needed to plug the wheel to. But you're saying you turn on a controller with the headset plugged in andand can use it while the wheel is being used?

nissan4ever
17-01-2016, 01:16
I've been using my PS4 for Pcars but recently bought a Xbox One for Pcars and Forza 6. Soon I plan to be racing against friends on the Xbox One using my Fanatec CSW V2 which does not have a headset input. What are you guys using to play online and chat? If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Playstation uses regular Bluetooth. Also, would I be able to get a wired headset and plug it into the controller while using the wheel to race? Thanks.

You'll have to use a wired headset with a controller in conjuction with your wheel. The other option is the Turtle Beach Elite 800X headsets. They are wireless, including chat.

Linx
17-01-2016, 01:22
You'll have to use a wired headset with a controller in conjuction with your wheel. The other option is the Turtle Beach Elite 800X headsets. They are wireless, including chat.
Ok thanks. I'm just a little unclear still. So the wired headset connects to the controller. But the controller stays in wireless mode, right? Ok so being that you have to use the controller to turn the console on and navigate to Pcars/Forza 6, after that is when you turn on your wheel or do you turn it on before the console? I also have a wireless Microsoft headset for the 360. It's the kind that just fits over one ear kinda like a Bluetooth. Though it's for the 360, will it work on the XBone?

Issysdad
17-01-2016, 01:27
There is an additional USB on the back of the console.

I use a wired controller with my headset plugged into that.

rtazz17
17-01-2016, 01:30
Ok thanks. I'm just a little unclear still. So the wired headset connects to the controller. But the controller stays in wireless mode, right? Ok so being that you have to use the controller to turn the console on and navigate to Pcars/Forza 6, after that is when you turn on your wheel or do you turn it on before the console? I also have a wireless Microsoft headset for the 360. It's the kind that just fits over one ear kinda like a Bluetooth. Though it's for the 360, will it work on the XBone?no your 360 wireless will not work with it.Honestly for myself it doesnt matter which I turn on first.Ill get them both working either way.

StuWard75
17-01-2016, 03:52
+1 for Turtle Beach headsets.

Linx
17-01-2016, 04:04
I already have the Turtle Beach X41. They're wireless with a seperate unit that transmits in Dolby 7.1. Had them for a long time and connected to TV by S line. I would always get the occasional pop or the quick loss of sound for a split second. But lately, when playing Pcars the sound is constantly on and off repetitively. I tried to pair it again but that didn't work. But it works fine when playing COD or Madden.

OpticalHercules
17-01-2016, 04:55
Unless you have a headset designed specifically for wireless Xbox One chat (I guess those TB 800X's do it), you will need a chat adapter specific to the Xbox One controller. Just like with those X41's and a Xbox 360 how you had that 2.5mm cord connecting your volume dongle with your controller, the Xbox one uses a proprietary dongle for older controllers (those that ship with the xbox). I've read that newer controllers have been re-specc'd to use a standard 2.5 or 3.5mm mic cord. Check yours. If your controller has that mini-HDMI-looking port under the D-pad, it's the proprietary connector. They sell Chat Adapters for those at Walmart/electronics store.

Also, since you mentioned the single-over-ear chat thingy as an option, didn't your Xbox come with a single-ear mic/speaker? Mine did. I don't know about the Fanatec wheel and your boot up procedure with that, but once you're in game if you plug the mic/chat headset into the controller, then use the controller to join a party/initiate private chat, it will work. Now you will need to bump a button on the controller every 5 minutes or so else it will turn itself off. To fix that, use a standard USB-C (USB--> MicroUSB charge cable to plug your controller in to one of the xbox's USB ports. That should prevent it from turning off. If it does still turn off, try a different cord. I had to try 3 different cords before I found one that wouldn't allow the controller to shut off (my Charge Cord that came with my Samsung phone... no 3-rd party cord I've bought will work...)

Linx
17-01-2016, 05:19
You know I was looking all over the place for that XBone headset today. I could of sworn I saw it when first opening the box. But then I read in some other thread that the poster bought the Gears of War bundle and it didn't come with it. That's the same bundle I got.

nissan4ever
17-01-2016, 05:55
Unless you have a headset designed specifically for wireless Xbox One chat (I guess those TB 800X's do it)

Yes they do it wireless. The 800X Elite base connects to console via USB. That's how the headsets get its Xbox Live chat & then sends wireless to the headset. The base also has one optical in & one optical out for your audio. This allows the base to get & send audio to the headsets. It will also sends audio to an audio receiver (for when you aren't using the headsets). IMO, a well thought out product.

STEELJOCKEY
17-01-2016, 06:22
I have a set of X31s I had for my old 360, and despite being told everywhere they don't work with the One, they do.

The x31s have a usb wireless sender, which I plugged in to my home theatre amplifier, the Xbox is plugged in to the home theatre via hdmi. I then plug the chat cord off the headset into the controller. The new controllers have a 3.5mm socket now, whereas the original ones needed a chat adapter plugged in which has a 2.5mm socket, and you needed a 2.5-3.5mm adapter. I keep the controller plugged in via usb cord to keep it turned on permanently. There is one usb on the side of the Xbox, and 2 at the rear, or you could plug in a usb hub in the side if can't get easy access to the back.

To get chat working correctly and use your wheel in game, sign in to the console with your controller, then sign in to the game with your wheel. If you forget to sign in first on the console with your controller, or the console signs in automatically, once signed in to the game with your wheel, go back to settings/controllers, and sign your controller with your headset in to your profile and all will be working.

OpticalHercules
17-01-2016, 19:52
Yes they do it wireless. The 800X Elite base connects to console via USB. That's how the headsets get its Xbox Live chat & then sends wireless to the headset. The base also has one optical in & one optical out for your audio. This allows the base to get & send audio to the headsets. It will also sends audio to an audio receiver (for when you aren't using the headsets). IMO, a well thought out product.

I don't doubt you. I find it odd that my Astro A50's don't do that though. They connect the same way, USB for power, Optical In/Out for audio on the Xbone, and mic cable from earphone to controller for chat. The same headphones on my PC, however, only need the USB for chat and audio, with Optical being optional as a pass-through device. Wonder how TB made the Xbone recognize the chat through USB like the PS4 does since no other headsets that I'm aware of use that function even though it is built into them for other systems.

I personally can't stand TB headsets because of the "Microphone Monitor" feature. The only headset of theirs that I owned and enjoyed was the DXL1/XL1's that didn't have that Monitor feature. The DXL1 was a conbo kit selling an XL1 wired headset with a USB+3.5mm audio cable instead of RCA's along with the DSS2 Surround Sound device. When the DXL1 headset itself died, I then had to purchase an XL1 replacement, then use an RCA-3.5mm adapter to make them work with the DSS2.

STEELJOCKEY
17-01-2016, 20:10
I recently bought some TurtleBeach Stormtrooper headsets which don't have mic monitor. I actually miss hearing my own voice through the headsets. No I don't love my own voice that much lol

Linx
17-01-2016, 21:22
So you guys are saying for my X41 I need to get a 2.5-3.5 adapter, a 3.5 cable, and a chat cord and it'll work? What about the occasional pops and intermittent loss of sound, will that be eliminated?

STEELJOCKEY
18-01-2016, 03:06
Check your controller, the side facing you. If there is just a single usb style slot, you will need to get a chat adapter, and a short lead with a 3.5mm female socket on one end for your headset and 2.5mm male plug on the other to go into the adapter. If the controller has a jack hole to the left of the usb slot you are good to plug your headset straight into it. Either way you would need a usb cord to plug into the back of the controller and connect it to your Xbox to keep the controller turned on. Then setup your headset for stereo sound as per normal, either through your TV or stereo.

Linx
18-01-2016, 04:12
Yeah I do have the 3.5 jack port next to the USB on the controller. But the headphones have a 2.5 jack and the wire that came with it is 2.5 on each end. So I guess I just need to buy a 2.5-3.5 adapter to be able to hook the wire into the controller.

nissan4ever
18-01-2016, 05:09
I personally can't stand TB headsets because of the "Microphone Monitor" feature. The only headset of theirs that I owned and enjoyed was the DXL1/XL1's that didn't have that Monitor feature. The DXL1 was a conbo kit selling an XL1 wired headset with a USB+3.5mm audio cable instead of RCA's along with the DSS2 Surround Sound device. When the DXL1 headset itself died, I then had to purchase an XL1 replacement, then use an RCA-3.5mm adapter to make them work with the DSS2.

I had the same thing happen to me with the DXL1. One speaker quit working. Then got the XL1 & connected to my DSS2 Processor. I never cared for the bass response in the DXL1 headsets anyway. The XL1's sounded great for what they were. My XL1 is in the closet, chilling. LOL

Also, with the Elite 800X headsets. You can turn the mic monitor all the way down. I don't like hearing myself either when I chat.

STEELJOCKEY
18-01-2016, 07:19
Yeah I do have the 3.5 jack port next to the USB on the controller. But the headphones have a 2.5 jack and the wire that came with it is 2.5 on each end. So I guess I just need to buy a 2.5-3.5 adapter to be able to hook the wire into the controller.

Ok, you don't need the chat adapter then, just an adapter to get your headset plugged in to the controller. Of course you could get the chat adapter as your headset should plug straight in, but it will probably be cheaper to adapt your 2.5-3.5mm.

Hammerpgh
18-01-2016, 10:04
I use my 360 Turtle Beach XL1's (I thinks thats the ones) plugged in via the side USB to keep it from turning off with the Xbox One chat headset that came with the console. I did have problems getting it to work initially and sometimes it would work and other times not but since it's been wired in there has not been a problem at all. I pretty much always use my wheel to start the game, etc. Only time I have an issue is if I use the controller to start the game and then the wheel doesn't get recognised when I go out on track so have to unplug the controller, press the A button on my wheel and then re-plug the controller in and the wheel is then fine.