PDA

View Full Version : ESL January Final

gmspromo
17-01-2016, 20:18
Yes it's some way off and there are a couple of races to go, but Joseph, I know you have been asked this by other people as well, but can you have a discussion with ESL about the January Finals on ALL platforms following the same rules as all the preceding Go4Cups, and enabling defaults setups ... NOT allowing custom setups. It makes no sense to allow them ...

d-river
17-01-2016, 21:54
As fuel level is totally random with default setups I disagree with this. Or at least I hope that you won't get enough fuel and everybody else in lobby will get enough. That's a level playing field for you. :D

And BTW why it's always you complaining about custom setups and nobody else? If you want to drive with default setup then just drive with it. There is no magic or tricks in setups that make you faster than you really are. Making setup takes only couple tests and you will see what works for you and what not.

Is there coming any cups with custom setups for us who know how to setup a car and how to drive it? I see that there is a lot of people who are not participating cups since you forced default setups.

Yorkie065
18-01-2016, 07:37
BTW why it's always you complaining about custom setups and nobody else? If you want to drive with default setup then just drive with it. There is no magic or tricks in setups that make you faster than you really are. Making setup takes only couple tests and you will see what works for you and what not.

I can see where he is coming from though. I'll spend anywhere between 5-8 hours practicing and getting a setup for a single 1 hour race in a week, and that practice time isn't always available to everyone. I tend to find though that in my testing time I'll start off running laps on the default setup to get myself into a rhythm on the track, and then go in and start adjusting. Pretty much immediately from making a few changes I can gain anywhere between 0.5-1 second from just a few small changes. Over the course of refining settings and getting something that I am happy with, the overall time that I can gain compared to default setup is between 1-2.5 seconds. With further lapping (talking about 20+ laps on a couple of 10-15 lap stints without changing anything) on my custom setup I'll gain a little more time as I basically perfect my lines. Overall, in a those 5-8 hours of practice I can gain somewhere between 1.5-3 seconds per lap than I was with a little bit of practice on default setup and that is where gmspromo's issue comes in. He probably doesn't have that time to practice and losing around 2 seconds a lap to someone who has had all the practice they need isn't exactly fun, hence the desire for default setups where all the time that he has available is spent on learning the circuit rather than fiddling and adjusting trying to find a setup. It levels the playing field a little more, and is consistent with the rule set that got him to the finals in the first place which is what you would expect and is his main issue more than anything else.

Joseph Barron
18-01-2016, 08:04
Hi guys. As I have said more than once already, I will have a conversation with ESL about this. Once I've spoken to them, we will make you aware of any potential changes.

gmspromo
18-01-2016, 08:33
D-river - I don't know about everyone else, I always have started every session in the Formula Gulf with 30L of fuel in the car. I know some people have said it can be more or less & a bit random (lucky them) I always start with 30L. If the fuel load is supposedly random in the cups (which I have yet to experience on the Xbox one), isn't it consistent to have it random in the final as well. All I want is consistent rules across cups AND the final. That isn't moaning, that's common sense.

Yorkie065 - Exactly. What you said is exactly the case. I don't have the time to be able to practice non stop or tune the car to gain that extra bit of time. Default setup's negate having to worry about that.

Joseph - Not to be funny in the least, but you've talked about speaking with ESL once that I have seen in these forums and you were somewhat vague as to when you said you would speak with them. "In the future" I believe were your exact words which could mean when PCars 2 comes out for all I know. I promise I'm not being funny, but I'm sure you can appreciate that saying "in the future" didn't exactly answer anyone’s questions regarding the matter.

EDIT: I take back saying "In the future" as you actually said you would talk to ESL before the larger grids were introduced, "soon". Apologies.

Joseph Barron
18-01-2016, 08:48
I've been away at Autosport International for the last week, as have several other key SMS staff members. We will speak with ESL later this week.

gmspromo
18-01-2016, 09:11
Thank you Joseph, I do appreciate you are busy and you taking the time to converse with us.

FR-Alan
18-01-2016, 10:37
HI,
This subject of forced default setup is open in others thread but the big matter really impact the online gaming and of course the e-sport.
Joseph, will SMS be able to keep those defaults settings expect for fuel and maybe tires (i say maybe tires cause i dunno the exact behaviour of each tires from each manufacturers cars and if they are especially well working for each weather conditions). That coud avoid any technical matters but keep a strategical interset.
Regards,

Joseph Barron
18-01-2016, 10:47
HI,
This subject of forced default setup is open in others thread but the big matter really impact the online gaming and of course the e-sport.
Joseph, will SMS be able to keep those defaults settings expect for fuel and maybe tires (i say maybe tires cause i dunno the exact behaviour of each tires from each manufacturers cars and if they are especially well working for each weather conditions). That coud avoid any technical matters but keep a strategical interset.
Regards,

Hi Alan. This is what I will be discussing with ESL later in the week. We'll let you all know when we've reached a decision.

FR-Alan
18-01-2016, 11:13
Thanks Joseph for the answer. You notice however that i asked if "SMS" and not "ESL" was able to do it. I understand that ESL will have a word to say considering the actual saeason. But SMS could have is own position to propose that to the online community who is making is own leagues even if maybe ESL won t accept new rules.
Best wishes,

Joseph Barron
18-01-2016, 11:50
Thanks Joseph for the answer. You notice however that i asked if "SMS" and not "ESL" was able to do it. I understand that ESL will have a word to say considering the actual saeason. But SMS could have is own position to propose that to the online community who is making is own leagues even if maybe ESL won t accept new rules.
Best wishes,

We are working together with ESL to create the rules for their events. ESL does not set the rules on its own and nor does SMS. Therefore we will have conversation about this topic to make a decision together.

Individuals running their own leagues are free to set their own rules.

FR-Alan
18-01-2016, 12:00

Thanks again. So what will it be the best way to be sure that car are "stock / default setup" except for fuel and tires if i m hosting ?

Regards

Joseph Barron
18-01-2016, 12:28
Thanks again. So what will it be the best way to be sure that car are "stock / default setup" except for fuel and tires if i m hosting ?

Regards

At the moment, default setup in Project CARS also fixes fuel and tires. You cannot have default setup turned on and adjust fuel and tire choice separately I'm afraid.

gmspromo
18-01-2016, 13:22
Joseph - As a side note to these cups, I've mentioned this in the ESL PCars forum but it isn't frequented much so I thought I'd mentioned this to you regarding ESL cup points allocation ... for Cup #16 (and all the cups thereafter) there appears to be an inconsistent points allocation listed in two different places, at least in the Xbox cups (I'm not sure about the PS4 or PC cup listing?)

If you see here - http://play.eslgaming.com/projectcars/xbox/projectcars-one/major/go4projectcars-europe - the points are as follows;

1. 100 points + 50€
2. 75 points
3. 60 points
4. 50 points
5-8. 30 points
9-16. 20 points
17-32. 10 points
33-64. 3 points

BUT ... if you look here - http://play.eslgaming.com/projectcars/xbox/projectcars-one/major/go4projectcars-europe/cup-17/ - the points allocation looks like this;

1. 100 points + €50
2. 70 points
3. 50 points
4. 30 points
5-8. 20 points
9-16. 10 points
17-32. 5 points
33-64. 3 points

The second set of points appear more consistent with those listed on the PCars own eSports website (see here - http://www.projectcarsesports.com/esl-go4.html) but I think ESL have been allocating points as per the first set of points above, because Dosed1991 finished second in the Xbox ESL Cup last night and has been allocated 75 points.

Which is supposed to be right???

Joseph Barron
18-01-2016, 13:24
Chexx will have to let you know what the situation is regarding points systems as this is all handled by the ESL admins.

FR-Alan
22-01-2016, 11:03
We are working together with ESL to create the rules for their events. ESL does not set the rules on its own and nor does SMS. Therefore we will have conversation about this topic to make a decision together.

Dear Joseph, thans a lot for all your answers.
By the way, do you have any news from ESL regarding rules , default setup etc...?

Joseph Barron
22-01-2016, 11:17
Dear Joseph, thans a lot for all your answers.
By the way, do you have any news from ESL regarding rules , default setup etc...?

I've actually just been speaking to ESL today.

Setups will now be set to default for the January Finals to ensure a level playing field throughout all stages of the competition.

ESL will run a poll soon to decide the next car class after Formula Gulf.

There has been a small delay to the introduction of larger grid sizes. Most of the work has been done, however ESL's protest system and match chat functionality does not yet work properly with the new grid format.

Once some more progress has been made with this, Chexx or I will update you again.

FR-Alan
22-01-2016, 11:53
[...]
Once some more progress has been made with this, Chexx or I will update you again.

Cheers for that.
As default setup seem to be the direction for competitions, have you spoke internally (SMS) that default setup could be set except for tires maybe (idea : why not edit a competition format for wet and rain with same characteristics) and mostly for fuel ?
Best regards,

Joseph Barron
22-01-2016, 12:33
Cheers for that.
As default setup seem to be the direction for competitions, have you spoke internally (SMS) that default setup could be set except for tires maybe (idea : why not edit a competition format for wet and rain with same characteristics) and mostly for fuel ?
Best regards,

It has been discussed, but I'm not able to announce any specific changes I'm afraid.

A specific wet competition is unlikely to happen until at least after the introduction of the larger grids and a firmer set of regulations that the vast majority of the drivers are happy with. At the moment, spin-off series like that would just distract us from our efforts to establish a more motorsport-like format for the main ESL events.

FR-Alan
22-01-2016, 13:22
It has been discussed, but I'm not able to announce any specific changes I'm afraid.
Well ... thanks. :D. I hope you guys are thinking it s a good idea to implement this ASAP in PC1 :p.

at least[/I] after the introduction of the larger grids and a firmer set of regulations that the vast majority of the drivers are happy with. At the moment, spin-off series like that would just distract us from our efforts to establish a more motorsport-like format for the main ESL events.
Tires was just an idea to reach higher equity level on competition.

gmspromo
27-01-2016, 13:49

Setups will now be set to default for the January Finals to ensure a level playing field throughout all stages of the competition..

I'm a bit late in seeing this, but as I raised the issue in the first place I have to say thank you for giving some consideration to what I said and adjusting the January Final to be consistent with the preceeding cups in terms of rules and applying the default setup. Shame it didn't happen for Decembers Final, but hey, we can't have everything in life can we! ;)

Seriously though, thank you Joe.