PDA

View Full Version : Tales From AutoSport International 2016

John Hargreaves
18-01-2016, 12:07
Couldn't get there myself, but it sounds like there was plenty of pCARS action, so if anyone was there, tell us your tales right here.

Yorkie065
18-01-2016, 12:09
Various videos will be coming throughout the week from me on the show. All I'm going to say, is that it was goooood!! :D

John Hargreaves
18-01-2016, 12:10
Perfect, can't wait to see your stuff Yorkie

cluck
18-01-2016, 12:17
As per the DLC teaser thread, I had an excellent time there. To be honest, I went to have a play on the motion-rig setup on the pCARS stand. I ended up mostly just hanging around the stand all day.

Got to meet Nick Hamilton and spend quite a bit of time chatting with him. I had heard he was a nice guy but really, "nice" doesn't cut it. He is one of the warmest, nicest, genuine and honest people I have had the pleasure of meeting. He had so much time for everybody and the few minutes he spent with a father and his disabled daughter, that was an experience to witness - the girl's face just lit up whilst he was talking to her.

I wish I could tell you more about the show but I literally went from one pCARS stand to the Classic Lotus stand, where I met a fellow WMD-er (hi Bazil :D), wandered round with him and his mate for about 30 minutes and then went back to the main pCARS stand via another motion-rig.

Watched quite a few real-life racing drivers have a go on the simulator. It was interesting watching the way they drive, compared to sim drivers. Much more measured, considered and downright scarily smooth. But enough about me, their driving was pretty nice to watch too :D.

EDIT : Also made some rather mocking remarks regarding a pro driver's ability to drive the Nordschleife. Not to his face of course, but to the SMS guy after he had left. I had no idea at the time that the guy driving was in the car that came 2nd at the 2015 24hr event there in the BMW Z4 GT3 :o. As was pointed out to me, it was his first time with the game so, in that regard, he actually did rather well (yes, this is me furiously trying to dig my way out of the hole I dug myself into :D).

cluck
18-01-2016, 15:25
Oh and one more thing that I do have to share because it was absolutely priceless...

When I introduced myself to Nick Hamilton, his response was

Oh, so you're CluckAnd yes, the emphasis was on that word. Of course, there was no bad intent behind it at all and I think I replied something like "Uh oh, what did I do wrong this time?" with a heavy dose of sarcasm. Nick, being the true gent he was, came back with a quite excellent response

No, it's all good, I have a good head for names

Nick, I owe you a beer for providing me with the biggest laugh as I drove home thinking about that last night :D.

I've met some famous and semi-famous people in my time but Nick is hands-down the warmest and most welcoming of all of them. If you ever get the opportunity to meet him, take that opportunity, go and say "Hi".

Did I mention I met Nick Hamilton yesterday? :D.

Yorkie065
18-01-2016, 17:05
Ok, here we go with the first 3 videos with myself, Nic Hamilton and then Ben Collins all on the Vesaro motion rig!

Yorkie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWqH27F0ybM

Nicolas Hamilton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJaKsEBgoY

Ben Collins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcaB5CZwER0

John Hargreaves
18-01-2016, 17:52
Is that Ben Collins the Pit engineer telling Ben Collins the real bloke to 'keep pushing?' Man that's gotta mess with your head. Great clips there mate

balderz002
18-01-2016, 19:06
Is that Ben Collins the Pit engineer telling Ben Collins the real bloke to 'keep pushing?' Man that's gotta mess with your head. Great clips there mate

I wonder if Ben Collins the real bloke found Ben Collins the Pit engineer as annoying as I did in the end?!

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
18-01-2016, 19:14
Sounds like fun times were had. I'm more than a little annoyed I missed basically every chance to go to a pCARS happening abroad, hopefully I'll be able to make up for it with pCARS 2... =)

cluck
18-01-2016, 19:55
I wonder if Ben Collins the real bloke found Ben Collins the Pit engineer as annoying as I did in the end?!Some say ... oh I can't be bothered with that joke.

cluck
19-01-2016, 09:57
Have checked Nick's Twitter feed and there's a truly wonderful photo of him with the young girl I saw him spend a lot of time talking to - Nick's Twitter (https://twitter.com/nicolashamilton?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor)

Her father was a smashing chap. When Nick asked me to take the photo the guy turned to me and said "no, it's OK, I'll take it". "Don't you want to be in the picture with them?" I asked, it's no trouble at all. "As Terry Wogan once said, I've got a face for radio" came the reply, with a smile. I was properly struggling to hold back the loudest laugh the NEC would have heard that day. I wish those two all the best, especially the daughter, Caitlyn.

I don't mind admitting it, those two occasions when Nick spent time with Caitlyn, they brought a massive warm glow to this weary body and I know I had a soppy smile plastered on my face. There's a lot of crap going on the world but this, this was an absolute ray of sunshine on a cold winter's day.

John Hargreaves
28-01-2016, 15:43
Hey Yorkie, not sure if you've seen it, but Nic has posted your video from Autosport International over on the pCars2 forum. A fine endorsement indeed.

Yorkie065
28-01-2016, 15:44
Hey Yorkie, not sure if you've seen it, but Nic has posted your video from Autosport International over on the pCars2 forum. A fine endorsement indeed.

I hadn't no! Going to have to go and have a look at that when I get home :D

Fractured Life
28-01-2016, 18:33
I hadn't no! Going to have to go and have a look at that when I get home :D

Great looking rig. On Nicks video is it just me or is the sound way off?

Yorkie065
29-01-2016, 12:16
Great looking rig. On Nicks video is it just me or is the sound way off?

In what sense exactly?

It was recorded on my phone (HTC One M9) if that would have any explanation.

And taken a look at his post. Very cool and glad that he did watch it! Just hope he's watched some of my other videos too! :P hahah

John Hargreaves
29-01-2016, 13:02
Can't get a much better endorsement of your work than that, nice one.

cluck
30-01-2016, 11:47
ssshhh, don't tell Nic

100% default setup with no traction control or autoclutch (as was enabled at the show). That's 1.6s faster than I went at the show. My first lap yesterday was a fraction slower than Nic's, immediately followed by a 48.68s lap. I then ran a few more laps that were consistently slower - no real surprise, I was burning through the tyres with my heavy right foot :D. Did a couple more laps just now and did that lap. Amazing what just a few laps extra practice - combined with the comfort of my own home and my Oculus Rift - can yield in laptime savings :).

(0m47s times are more than possible on default setup - requires a more delicate right foot than I have ;))