PDA

View Full Version : Missing rain????

Ezuna
19-01-2016, 07:09
Was playing a long race with about 50 cars at Sarthe last night and there was rain clearly falling.

But no spray and no rain on the windshield.

Is this a general bug or an issue with that track? I have checked and rain etc is on in the options.

Thanks

Invincible
19-01-2016, 07:14
During early stages of light rain there isn't enough water on the track to cause water spray. Also the rain drops on the windshield sometimes need a minute or two until they appear after it started to drizzle.

Ezuna
19-01-2016, 07:44
During early stages of light rain there isn't enough water on the track to cause water spray. Also the rain drops on the windshield sometimes need a minute or two until they appear after it started to drizzle.

Ok thanks for that - I think even with a light drizzle there should be something other than a dry windshield....but I can see that the spray certainly does make a lot of sense.

Cheers :)

hkraft300
19-01-2016, 16:27
First few drops are subtle. Quite nice actually.
You look for it when you're expecting rain. Then you spot the tentative drops and judge your tyres, and your position on track.
Do you play it safe and box? Maybe you want to get ahead of the traffic holding you up.
Do you risk another lap and build the gap? Can you keep it on the greasy track and not lose time?
Its all part of the drama.

Fanapryde
19-01-2016, 16:35
I noticed on several occasions that the first drops of rain appear on the hood before you actually can see them on the windscreen (tin tops, cockpit view).

Liquid7394
19-01-2016, 20:42
It takes ages for raindrops to appear on the windshield. We have to get people who aren't using cockpit views to call out when it's raining, I really wish they would patch it so raindrops appear at the same time for all views.

Mahjik
19-01-2016, 20:54
It takes ages for raindrops to appear on the windshield. We have to get people who aren't using cockpit views to call out when it's raining, I really wish they would patch it so raindrops appear at the same time for all views.

The track surface is what you really should be paying attention to... When it's showing wetness, that's when it's time to consider moving to a different compound.

Fanapryde
19-01-2016, 21:02
The track surface is what you really should be paying attention to... When it's showing wetness, that's when it's time to consider moving to a different compound.
Yes, but that can cost you dearly.
Had it several times and since the track can be totally wet within half a lap...

Mahjik
19-01-2016, 21:13
Yes, but that can cost you dearly.
Had it several times and since the track can be totally wet within half a lap...

That should only be a problem on a very large course, like Le Mans. But even then, it's all about placement of where you are at on the track when it "gets worse". If you are already past your pit entrance and you guess it's not going to get worse, then you have to live with it. Just because it's "raining" doesn't necessarily mean much. It still has to be enough to actually coat the track surface and stay to make driving an issue.

In real life, I've driven slicks on a track when it was raining on only half of the track. Good times...

Fanapryde
19-01-2016, 21:54
That should only be a problem on a very large course, like Le Mans. But even then, it's all about placement of where you are at on the track when it "gets worse". If you are already past your pit entrance and you guess it's not going to get worse, then you have to live with it. Just because it's "raining" doesn't necessarily mean much. It still has to be enough to actually coat the track surface and stay to make driving an issue.

In real life, I've driven slicks on a track when it was raining on only half of the track. Good times...

What I had (more than once) was that it starts to rain when I just passed the pit entrance.
At Brno I was leading the race by a few seconds and almost all AI dive-bombed into the pits for wets. I had to complete a full lap (Brno) with grip level zero (or almost). The first AI even overtook me before I reached the pits. Managed to keep four AI behind me that were stupid enough not to pit at that time...
Had the same thing happen in Spa and Brands e.g.
AI also tricked me by starting on wets, while I was equipped with slicks. I guess they had better weather forecast. It started to rain after lap 2 and they did not pit.

Slicks in the rain... only did that in my 125cc shifter kart (since I had no rain tires at that time) and in 2x50cc 4-stroke rentals in endurance races (up to 24 hrs).
Good times yes, with a plastic rotating disc as a visor LOL....

hkraft300
19-01-2016, 22:19
Haha go karts on slicks on a wet track is so much fun!
Anyway ye its the gamble you take racing in dicy weather.
I would like the pit engineer to be a little more vocal in this regard.

Fanapryde
19-01-2016, 22:29
I would like the pit engineer to be a little more vocal in this regard.
LOL yes. I was racing in heavy rain for three or four laps when Stig told me that rain was expexted in the next half hour...

hkraft300
19-01-2016, 23:00
LOL yes. I was racing in heavy rain for three or four laps when Stig told me that rain was expexted in the next half hour...

Engineer Ben thinks he's funny doesn't he 0_o