PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Pro Ginetta GT4

jimmyb_84
19-01-2016, 09:40
last night I decided I'll have a blast with the Ginetta GT4 round the Nordschleife, however I needed a target so via the power of Twitter I decided to ask Mike Simpson ( ginetta works driver) and Lawrence Tomlinson (Ginetta MD and driver) for a target time.

I got a response fairly quickly but times were only relevant to VLN layouts (not in the game) however I think any low 7min would be excepable.

After reporting lame attempt of a 7:49 with many mistakes, I think things escalated

will report back if I hear anything, would be fun

cluck
19-01-2016, 09:43
Nice! Will keep an eye on this thread to see what transpires :)

TheReaper GT
19-01-2016, 09:56
Twitch that shit up bro :D:D

balderz002
19-01-2016, 10:14
I hope the SMS guys are watching...... Could this be made a 'regular' thing for PCars 2? Diff'rent car's, diff'rent track's, diff'rent pro's?

cluck
19-01-2016, 10:18
I hope the SMS guys are watching...... Could this be made a 'regular' thing for PCars 2? Diff'rent car's, diff'rent track's, diff'rent pro's?It would be lovely but the biggest problem is scheduling. The thing with real-life racing drivers is that they have, erm, real life racers to drive ;). As you say, it would be a very cool thing to try and achieve but I doubt it could be a regular thing.

Invincible
19-01-2016, 10:34
It would be lovely but the biggest problem is scheduling. The thing with real-life racing drivers is that they have, erm, real life racers to drive ;). As you say, it would be a very cool thing to try and achieve but I doubt it could be a regular thing.

Double post :(

Invincible
19-01-2016, 10:35
It would be lovely but the biggest problem is scheduling. The thing with real-life racing drivers is that they have, erm, real life racers to drive ;). As you say, it would be a very cool thing to try and achieve but I doubt it could be a regular thing.

Unfortunately not. But I really like the idea though. I think Nicolas should talk to his brother about this. And then it is "Community vs. the Hamiltons". Or maybe a Le Mans event against Rene Rast or André Lotterer?

What could be a thing too: Having some pro's set up a laptime and you can then try to beat it for an ingame achievement?! You think you're faster than the Stig? Prove it!

N0body Of The Goat
19-01-2016, 10:47
Unfortunately not. But I really like the idea though. I think Nicolas should talk to his brother about this. And then it is "Community vs. the Hamiltons". Or maybe a Le Mans event against Rene Rast or André Lotterer?

Nevermind bothering Lewis, Nic is a great quality sim driver himself and is doing well in the real world too, for example check the leaderboard for that live show this last weekend (which cluck and yorkie commented on)!;)

It would be nice if Nic and Ben Collins (plus any other real race drivers) could post a number of Time Trial challenge times, even better if they could post a default setup time and a custom setup one using separate VIP accounts.

cluck
19-01-2016, 11:00
I remember well when Rene Rast did a lap of Silverstone in one of the Audis (IIRC) and posted his time, along with the car setup he used, so it's certainly been done before :). It was quite fun waiting to see how long it would take before somebody beat him :).

jimmyb_84
19-01-2016, 11:00
I'll race any pro driver.... I'm still going to lose ;)

Even if they just set targets for us to have a bash at with default or custom setups. I like challenge

cluck
19-01-2016, 11:08

Even if they just set targets for us to have a bash at with default or custom setups. I like challengeAbsolutely :).

I wouldn't dare to try and actually race with them, I would utterly embarrass myself :o. But yeah, give me a time to beat and I'll go after it like, er, something that goes after something with some vigour :D.

I will say, though, don't be surprised if those who aren't used to home sim-racing don't post spectacular times. If you watch racing drivers who haven't been brought up on simulators, they have a very different style of driving, which doesn't always lend itself to leaderboard topping times. They're still quick, very quick, don't get me wrong but people brought up on a diet of simulators know how to make the most of a sim and, for want of a better way of putting it, exploiting it to their advantage :).

TheReaper GT
19-01-2016, 11:08

Even if they just set targets for us to have a bash at with default or custom setups. I like challenge

Just remember, no rear ending and no double block :D Those guys are no joke:

balderz002
19-01-2016, 11:14
Cluck, cant you ask your new bezza? (Nic Hamilton) I'm sure there was a instgram pic of an Aston WEC driver playing.

Would be nice if we could only watch the replays of their laps and see how to improve.......

I bet the promise of pro drivers would certainly fill the leaderboards.

cluck
19-01-2016, 11:21
Cluck, cant you ask your new bezza? (Nic Hamilton) I'm sure there was a instgram pic of an Aston WEC driver playing.

Would be nice if we could only watch the replays of their laps and see how to improve.......

I bet the promise of pro drivers would certainly fill the leaderboards.I saw 4 pro drivers have a go during my day there, besides Nic. I've already commented elsewhere about one of them. One of the others drove the BMW 1M for the Time Attack. The other two tested Bathurst for the upcoming 12hr race there - for both these guys, as with the BMW works driver, it was their first time in the game and their times reflected that (I looked up the current leaderboard whilst I was there, specifically the default setup time). Their times were a fraction behind the times I used to put in for Bathurst when I'd first take a car around it* and didn't know the track so well, so they were pretty handy right off the bat. Give them some practice and they'd put most of us to shame, I have no doubt :).

* EDIT : In case that came across as big-headed, bear in mind that I have driven hundreds of laps of Bathurst over the years I was testing pCARS. I still can't nail a 'perfect' lap, but I know it very well. Both these guys made the same mistakes I had made countless times, those little nuances of the track that you eventually learn and drive around accordingly :).

balderz002
19-01-2016, 11:26
Maybe we could start a new thread for 'which pro driver at which track' combo?

Did you see David Brabham there cluck? That dude is way cool for all his Le Mans history

Shinzah
19-01-2016, 11:28
Just remember, no rear ending and no double block :D Those guys are no joke:

He comes to the inside
Donnie Allison throws the block!
Cale Hits him!
He Slides!
Donnie Allison slides!
They hit again!
They drive into the turn!
They're hitting the wall!
They're head on in the wall!
---
And there's a fight between Cale Yarborough and Donnie Allison
The tempers over-flowing
They're angry
They know they have lost
And what a bitter defeat

I wasn't even born then and I can recite that from memory. Ken Squier is a legend.

cluck
19-01-2016, 12:09
Maybe we could start a new thread for 'which pro driver at which track' combo?

Did you see David Brabham there cluck? That dude is way cool for all his Le Mans historyI didn't, no. To be honest, I have a woeful lack of motorsport knowledge and am even worse with names so, chances are, even if I saw him I wouldn't have known who he was. I know the name of course but that's about as far as it goes. Hence why I had no idea who the BMW works driver was that came up to drive the Z4 at Nords - even after a bit of Googling I was none the wiser :o.

Shinzah
19-01-2016, 12:12
I didn't, no. To be honest, I have a woeful lack of motorsport knowledge and am even worse with names so, chances are, even if I saw him I wouldn't have known who he was. I know the name of course but that's about as far as it goes. Hence why I had no idea who the BMW works driver was that came up to drive the Z4 at Nords - even after a bit of Googling I was none the wiser :o.

Tall balding Australian gentleman. Looks a bit like Marino Franchitti. With a smaller nose. And less Scottish. And about twice as old.

cluck
19-01-2016, 12:17
Tall balding Australian gentleman. Looks a bit like Marino Franchitti. With a smaller nose. And less Scottish. And about twice as old.I've seen the pic on SMS' Instagram (or might have been Twitter) but I would have had no idea otherwise. There are some faces I will recognise but most, no, not a clue :o. I love motorsport games but I have never really 'followed' any motorsport for a long time other than F1 but even that is going by the wayside since terrestrial TV in the UK stopped showing all the races in a season :(.

Anyhoo, back on topic :D.

Shinzah
19-01-2016, 12:20
I've seen the pic on SMS' Instagram (or might have been Twitter) but I would have had no idea otherwise. There are some faces I will recognise but most, no, not a clue :o. I love motorsport games but I have never really 'followed' any motorsport for a long time other than F1 but even that is going by the wayside since terrestrial TV in the UK stopped showing all the races in a season :(.

Anyhoo, back on topic :D.

F1 is still hard for me....besides Kevin Magnussen and Kimi I still sometimes stuff up the face/helmet to the name thing...

Also yes. Topic.

jimmyb_84
19-01-2016, 21:52
I had another go with the ginetta gained another 8 seconds here is my latest effort 7:41 with loads of mistakes my target will be 7:30 I think. Mostly standard setup with a few aero, brake ducts/pressure tweeks using real assists

http://youtu.be/HZmnHoDJKdY

jimmyb_84
20-01-2016, 19:46
Ok Mike is about to be online if anyone wants to beat the pro

Mad Al
20-01-2016, 19:52
Ok Mike is about to be online if anyone wants to beat the pro

Quick, buy me a PS4, I'll join in...

.. sod it.. not happening.

Anyone going to twitch this ?

jimmyb_84
20-01-2016, 19:56
Quick, buy me a PS4, I'll join in...

.. sod it.. not happening.

Anyone going to twitch this ?

unfortunately I'm not able to join at the moment proper gutted

cluck
20-01-2016, 20:44
Do you know what they're running? Are they doing it as a MP race or just running some time trial laps?

If you want another target to go after, I just ran a 7m15s lap at Nords at the first time of asking (as in, I've never driven this car at Nordschleife before) in the GT4 with standard setup. Started a second lap and was 2s up before I binned it, pushing too hard :o.

jimmyb_84
20-01-2016, 20:58
think he was running a race

Mad Al
20-01-2016, 21:00
Do you know what they're running? Are they doing it as a MP race or just running some time trial laps?

If you want another target to go after, I just ran a 7m15s lap at Nords at the first time of asking (as in, I've never driven this car at Nordschleife before) in the GT4 with standard setup. Started a second lap and was 2s up before I binned it, pushing too hard :o.

My time was about a 7:21... (default setup, but unfortunately I'd managed to accidently save a modified setup to all tracks a couple of months back whilst doing a career race, so shows as custom on the leader boards, I do wish a setup reset put it back to D).. will be interesting to see if the patch 8 tyres make any difference
Oh and Mad Al2 managed just under a 7:30 on pad :)

cluck
20-01-2016, 21:02
think he was running a raceDamn, would have been nice to have joined in a nice time trial challenge but not to worry. Hope they got a clean race :)

My time was about a 7:21... (default setup, but unfortunately I'd managed to accidently save a modified setup to all tracks a couple of months back whilst doing a career race, so shows as custom on the leader boards, I do wish a setup reset put it back to D).. will be interesting to see if the patch 8 tyres make any difference
Oh and Mad Al2 managed just under a 7:30 on pad :)Nice :). Just took 2s off my time and was 0.8s up at the Karussel where I promptly overcooked it. Reckon I have a 7m11 time in me if I just put the lap together smoothly. That's default setup with no driver aids.

Got to say, it's a lovely car to drive :).

jimmyb_84
20-01-2016, 21:46
I'm really slow compared to you guys. I need loads of practice if you could post an onboard that would be useful.

I ran in free practice and it's a pig with cold tyres and brakes. Do you run in TT mode?

cluck
20-01-2016, 21:53
I'm really slow compared to you guys. I need loads of practice if you could post an onboard that would be useful.

I ran in free practice and it's a pig with cold tyres and brakes. Do you run in TT mode?Yep, it's the only way to prove it's a clean lap (not saying your laps aren't clean, but it's the only way of proving that mine are :)).

We also both have a huge head-start on you. Both Mad Al and myself have had the game for over 4 years now, don't forget. I can't remember when Nords was first added but I have a video on Youtube from back in June 2013 and I was already quite familiar with the track by that stage. I have run a LOT of laps on it.

Keep practicing, never be disheartened by somebody that is quicker, take it as a stimulus to try again and keep trying. When you hit that 'wall' of frustration, whereby you don't think you can go faster, take a break and try again later :).

As for videos, I run with the Oculus Rift so the only way I can get footage is to set up my digital camera to record over my shoulder. That and wait over a day for the video to upload :o. I'm not trying to hide anything, it's just tricky for me that's all :(.

graveltrap
20-01-2016, 22:06
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31932-Nordschleife-Onboards&p=1182721&viewfull=1#post1182721

That is a fast onboard (not mine) for jimmyb ;) No idea what patch version though!

Mad Al
20-01-2016, 23:37
Yep, it's the only way to prove it's a clean lap (not saying your laps aren't clean, but it's the only way of proving that mine are :)).

We also both have a huge head-start on you. Both Mad Al and myself have had the game for over 4 years now, don't forget. I can't remember when Nords was first added but I have a video on Youtube from back in June 2013 and I was already quite familiar with the track by that stage. I have run a LOT of laps on it.

Keep practicing, never be disheartened by somebody that is quicker, take it as a stimulus to try again and keep trying. When you hit that 'wall' of frustration, whereby you don't think you can go faster, take a break and try again later :).

As for videos, I run with the Oculus Rift so the only way I can get footage is to set up my digital camera to record over my shoulder. That and wait over a day for the video to upload :o. I'm not trying to hide anything, it's just tricky for me that's all :(.

Your internet must be as bad as mine then.... (150yards from a fibre cabinet and I can't get connected to it!!)

and yes, I've been lapping Nords for years, GT4, Race 07, TT Superbikes, rFactor, AC.. etc.. as Cluck says, keep practicing, there's a lot of time to be had from your last video just from using a bit more of the track and opening up some corners.... yes, there will just about always be someone faster, but don't ever let that put you off having fun.. Best days racing I ever had on two wheels, I didn't win a single race...!

cluck
21-01-2016, 08:24
Your internet must be as bad as mine then.... (150yards from a fibre cabinet and I can't get connected to it!!)

and yes, I've been lapping Nords for years, GT4, Race 07, TT Superbikes, rFactor, AC.. etc.. as Cluck says, keep practicing, there's a lot of time to be had from your last video just from using a bit more of the track and opening up some corners.... yes, there will just about always be someone faster, but don't ever let that put you off having fun.. Best days racing I ever had on two wheels, I didn't win a single race...!My office is less than 100 yards from a fibre-enable exchange and because there is no cabinet here, it means fibre isn't happening. That same exchange feeds 3 other villages right now, but not the village that it is situated in. Go figure :rolleyes:. We're still on ADSL here, but due to get ADSL2 (woo hoo :sarcasm: ) in a week :o.

Back on topic, you made a very important point in your post. No matter how fast you* are, it is almost inevitable that somebody will find a way around the track in less time than you. Again, don't let that stop you, just watch their ghost and see if you can figure out what they did to gain 'that edge'. Nordschleife is a long track with lots of corners. Just a few tenths per corner adds up to a chunk of time off by the end of the lap :).

* the collective use of 'you', just in case it was mis-read

SlowBloke
21-01-2016, 08:49
Damn cluck that is a mighty fine effort 7:13....

I reckon the perfect lap for me might be 7:30 but Ive not beaten 7:41 so far.

Lovely car and track combo though so its hardly a pain trying :)

cluck
21-01-2016, 09:02
Damn cluck that is a mighty fine effort 7:13....

I reckon the perfect lap for me might be 7:30 but Ive not beaten 7:41 so far.

Lovely car and track combo though so its hardly a pain trying :)It is indeed a lovely combo. I have barely driven the car before and I really wish I had driven it more. It goes exactly where you want it to go. It's not so fast that you feel 'on a knife edge' but it's not so slow that you get bored. Once a couple of league races are out of the way, I'm going to come back to this and get the 7m11 time I'm sure I'm capable of extracting from this car.

jimmyb_84
21-01-2016, 09:29
cheers for the help all, I shall run in TT next time see if running 5ltrs of fuel instead of 40ltrs gains me much time.

I like the car it's a good car, the only thing I struggle with is heavy braking, I'm constantly locking up I've lowered break pressure but need to adjust again, I also tried brake bias but no matter what I do it still locks up. More practice needed.

cluck
21-01-2016, 09:50
cheers for the help all, I shall run in TT next time see if running 5ltrs of fuel instead of 40ltrs gains me much time.

I like the car it's a good car, the only thing I struggle with is heavy braking, I'm constantly locking up I've lowered break pressure but need to adjust again, I also tried brake bias but no matter what I do it still locks up. More practice needed.Yep, it does lock up the brakes very easily on default setup, I noticed that right away. Took me a few corners to work out how to brake in it without going off into the barrier.

If it helps, my technique usually involves braking earlier than most people would expect to brake. One of the benefits is that it means I can get the car out of trouble if it does lock up, in time to get a clean run through the corner and get a fast exit for the next bit of straight. Remember, corner exit speed is your goal, not entry speed :).

EDIT : As for time trial, give it a go. As I said earlier, some cars and tracks are actually slower in time trial than free practice (for instance, I was more than 1s faster around Oulton Park on cold tyres and a full tank of fuel in the BAC Mono in Free Practice than I was with warm tyres in time trial)

graveltrap
21-01-2016, 15:34
It is a proper good little car for the Nordschleife :)

I've attached VRhive data from my best attempt (7:13.067), it shows that I need to figure out how to get it to stop better, hardly any full pressure braking, but still lots of lock ups. I am at 85 percent pressure and 55% front for balance. Confidence to need to punch the brake pedal harder is needed ;)

Edit - Added a 7:11.134 data file, I think anyway its much smaller than the 7:13....

jimmyb_84
21-01-2016, 19:53
It is a proper good little car for the Nordschleife :)

I've attached VRhive data from my best attempt (7:13.067), it shows that I need to figure out how to get it to stop better, hardly any full pressure braking, but still lots of lock ups. I am at 85 percent pressure and 55% front for balance. Confidence to need to punch the brake pedal harder is needed ;)

Edit - Added a 7:11.134 data file, I think anyway its much smaller than the 7:13....

That's fantastic! I use vrHive will do some comparing at some point. We need a website for sharing vrhive telemetry

Plage
22-01-2016, 14:42
Didn't know the car much. Great cornering but horrible topspeed. Locks the front brakes way to early for my taste but this can be fixed. Did two 7:30s on meds with quite some room for improvement. Should be able to produce a 7:25 or maybe even 7:20 but 7:13? I'd say there's no way for me to ever reach such a time.

cluck
22-01-2016, 14:46
Didn't know the car much. Great cornering but horrible topspeed. Locks the front brakes way to early for my taste but this can be fixed. Did two 7:30s on meds with quite some room for improvement. Should be able to produce a 7:25 or maybe even 7:20 but 7:13? I'd say there's no way for me to ever reach such a time.Never say never :). If you take the approach that it's impossible then you won't improve.

I did a 7m15s time on my very first lap of Nords in this car, having barely driven the car since it got added to the game. I am nowhere near 'alien' status. I always maintain that if a ham-fisted old sod like me can do it, anybody can :). That is not me trying to be humble, that's the honest truth.

Plage
22-01-2016, 15:05
I'm just being realistic. ;)

graveltrap
22-01-2016, 16:49
I totally agree with what cluck says, if I can do it anyone can! Practice, practice, practice, it's the best way to build confidence, learn the track and improve your abilitiy to get round it.

I'm pretty sure if one of the fast guys put a lap in with this car, you'd see something around 7 minutes dead!

Car hints, Brakes wise, my car is now at 80 pressure 53 balance (still locking up), don't forget to close the radiator and reduce brake ducts (I am at 0 and 10 respectively) and finally set downforce to the lowest level you are comfortable (0 front 3 rear for me). I've clipped the 7:11.run, I've just got to get round to uploading it...

graveltrap
22-01-2016, 18:42
http://youtu.be/JFZHwxbsxjQ

Shinzah
22-01-2016, 20:14
I did a 7m15s time on my very first lap of Nords in this car, having barely driven the car since it got added to the game. I am nowhere near 'alien' status. I always maintain that if a ham-fisted old sod like me can do it, anybody can :). That is not me trying to be humble, that's the honest truth.

Yer no alien, but you are one fast chicken.

cluck
22-01-2016, 20:46
Yer no alien, but you are one fast chicken.Like my daddy said, be fast or be dinner. I choose fast ;)

Shinzah
22-01-2016, 20:49
Yer daddy was a good chicken.

Never had breaded cock and white gravy so good.

cluck
22-01-2016, 21:09
:(

Just ran a 7m11.7 in time trial, still with default setup. Next lap I was 0.8s up popping out of Karussel so a 7m10 is on the cards with the default setup, if I can focus enough. I doubt very much that I'll go under 7m10.5 though, even if I do a perfect lap by my standards, not without tweaking the setup.

These times are in time trial still.

Plage
22-01-2016, 22:17
Yer daddy was a good chicken.

Never had breaded cock and white gravy so good.

That was mean!

I mean everybody knows grilled chicken is the way to go.

:(

Just ran a 7m11.7 in time trial, still with default setup. Next lap I was 0.8s up popping out of Karussel so a 7m10 is on the cards with the default setup, if I can focus enough. I doubt very much that I'll go under 7m10.5 though, even if I do a perfect lap by my standards, not without tweaking the setup.

These times are in time trial still.

7:10 with the default setup you say...mmmhhh, ok. Where is that shortcut again?

TheReaper GT
22-01-2016, 22:20
Who says chickens don't fly?

I did a 7:21:XXX default setup on my second lap in practice...

cluck
22-01-2016, 23:14
That was mean!

I mean everybody knows grilled chicken is the way to go.

7:10 with the default setup you say...mmmhhh, ok. Where is that shortcut again?Nowhere. Given that I have posted a legitimate 7m11.7 time on default setup with no driver aids and no track cutting and that I was 0.8s on my subsequent lap, again without cutting anywhere, a 7m10.5 should be within my reach with a couple more laps practice. I've still only done half a dozen laps in the car so far.

jimmyb_84
23-01-2016, 08:55
Had another go at this last night and gained a further second I'm now at 7:40. I tried TT mode and would of been a clean lap is I didn't run slightly wide on 1 corner very annoying.

what's GravelTraps video again since, comparing gears and corners I'm losing out on a few I'm sure if I got it right a 7:30 would be possible for me, no idea how I'll get down to 7:20 and below.

It's a great car/track combo but my god is it frustrating!

cluck
23-01-2016, 12:18
Keep going at it jimmy, seriously, you'll just keep getting faster and faster with more practice.

Just ran a 7m10.262 time in time trial, still on default setup. A few mistakes in the lap cost me the 7m09 time that was on the cards :(.

EDIT : Would love to see a video of one of the Ginetta guys driving though, just to watch their lines and technique.

TheReaper GT
23-01-2016, 12:31
That's a chicken on a mission

jimmyb_84
23-01-2016, 13:28
Keep going at it jimmy, seriously, you'll just keep getting faster and faster with more practice.

Just ran a 7m10.262 time in time trial, still on default setup. A few mistakes in the lap cost me the 7m09 time that was on the cards :(.

EDIT : Would love to see a video of one of the Ginetta guys driving though, just to watch their lines and technique.

how! lol I'll get there soon ish.

I'll see if I can get Mike to post an onboard real or sim

cluck
23-01-2016, 14:01
how! lol I'll get there soon ish.

I'll see if I can get Mike to post an onboard real or simJust binned a lap that I was 0.7s up on, about 20 seconds before the S2 time marker. Ran a fraction too wide and invalidated the lap. I reckon I can now do a low 7m09 time if I just focus for the whole lap. All with default setup and no driver aids.

How? Practice :).

EDIT : Just did another lap, after a break, and did a 7m09.7 run. Screwed up the first section and fluffed a couple of other corners. Forget low 7m09, 7m08 is my new target, still with default.

jimmyb_84
23-01-2016, 14:56
Ok Mike got back to me

here is a lap by Mike on a damp track on slicks

http://youtu.be/ig35AJIkt_k

I've still no idea how your rolling these times off!

cluck
23-01-2016, 15:39
I've still no idea how your rolling these times off!

...How? Practice :)

Cheers for the vid. You can see he's really having to be quite tentative in places as a result of the lack of traction. Must have been fun :).

(down to 7m09.4 now)

TheReaper GT
23-01-2016, 15:56
The video is the 24h layout, nurburgring + Nordschleife

jimmyb_84
23-01-2016, 16:10
Cheers for the vid. You can see he's really having to be quite tentative in places as a result of the lack of traction. Must have been fun :).

(down to 7m09.4 now)

I will watch it later should be useful, you need to upload a video of your latest lap I need to see it ;)

cluck
23-01-2016, 16:14
I will watch it later should be useful, you need to upload a video of your latest lap I need to see it ;)I can't record them easily for one thing (I use an Oculus Rift all the time) and it would take 10 hours (I'm not kidding) to upload the video. It's not a question of me trying to hide anything, it's just a pain in the backside trying to record anything to help people like yourself see where you can gain some time :o.

Mad Al
23-01-2016, 16:30
just for the laughs.. default setup. (a couple of duff corners...!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pglGLq_kgtA

TheReaper GT
23-01-2016, 16:32
^^ private video

jimmyb_84
23-01-2016, 17:18
^^ private video

same

DreamsKnight
23-01-2016, 17:51

i dont know circuit and car. but i see from ghosts that i lose 0.2 each second on straights. s it clear? after ten second i lose 2 second. my fifth gear never reach limiter.

what is wrong with me? -_-

Mad Al
23-01-2016, 17:58
^^ private video

Bugger, forgot to change it.. public now

jimmyb_84
23-01-2016, 18:25
just for the laughs.. default setup. (a couple of duff corners...!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pglGLq_kgtA

good effort beats me can only dream of a 7:22! Can see where I'm losing speed thanks for sharing

graveltrap
23-01-2016, 18:43
The video is the 24h layout, nurburgring + Nordschleife

I don't think any *racing* occurs on the version we have in the game, they all use sections of the GP track, it's a shame we don't have the choice.

Plage
23-01-2016, 18:43
Set a 7:27:600 in the time trials but there definitely is some room for improvement. Biggest problem at the moment seems to be that I don't have enough trust in the car. After basically every corner I'm thinking "you could have gone much faster there". I really have to squeeze it out a little more.

Plage
25-01-2016, 00:00
I've recorded and uploaded the first lap today. It only was a 7:33 something so not really one of my best ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2A4wHlJwYI

Maybe you've some input on what to improve? From the real video posted it seems they stay in 3rd gear in many of the situations I'm shifting down to 2nd. Would you suggest that I also try this for example?

How do I turn on the telemetry overlay in the replays by the way?

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 00:27
I've recorded and uploaded the first lap today. It only was a 7:33 something so not really one of my best ones.

Maybe you've some input on what to improve? From the real video posted it seems they stay in 3rd gear in many of the situations I'm shifting down to 2nd. Would you suggest that I also try this for example?

How do I turn on the telemetry overlay in the replays by the way?

7:33 lap and the video was 7:23 ?
They may have used 3rd more to kill off the torque a bit due to the damp conditions.. it's not going to cost much, if anything, to pull the higher gear if the engine has a good spread of power (and most of the GT cars have) and I personally find it makes for a more relaxed driving style..
Overlay can only be seen when actually driving, unfortunately.. which means you have to record it whilst driving (which can be a little distracting..), which is also the only way to get a recording of TT around a lap over 2 minutes... (Nords is slower in TT than race.)

Plage
25-01-2016, 00:45
There are a few seconds missing at the end. Guess that's why it's shorter.

That's why I was asking. Maybe it does make more sense because of said spread? The thing is that I actually feel more comfortable with 2nd and high revs than 3rd with low revs in most of the situations. My idea with staying in 3rd would be that it saves shifting time and maybe leads to me taking some corners a tad faster than in 2nd but I'm not really sure.

Ok, then it's not possible to show a vid with telemetry as I can't record while driving as this sucks too much performance and it'll start to lag. The video is actually from a one lap race with a flying start but without any opponents.

By the way. If you want to practice online I can suggest the following server (there actually are two of them). Says "road cars only" but it seems to tolerate GT4 cars, too.

http://i.imgur.com/yCjSQkV.jpg

/edit: Another question. Why does the car in Mad Al's video has this transmission whine (sound) and mine doesn't?

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 09:24
I can't record while driving as this sucks too much performance and it'll start to lag..
/edit: Another question. Why does the car in Mad Al's video has this transmission whine (sound) and mine doesn't?

I hate to ask what spec your PC is... I know the overlay does cause a bit of a frame rate drop, but Nords is fairly good for frame rates generally..

The replays miss some information (like the transmission whine), it's a known issue

Yorkie065
25-01-2016, 11:43
I'm going to give this a go tonight I think. Interested to see what time I can get, and will do it in the GT4 on a default setup and TT session :)

cluck
25-01-2016, 12:08
I'm going to give this a go tonight I think. Interested to see what time I can get, and will do it in the GT4 on a default setup and TT session :)There goes my 2nd place :(

:D.

If I could just string the lap together, I know I can do a mid 7m08 time but I need to have the discipline to turn the lap timer off. At the moment I use it as a gauge to see whether the lap is worth continuing with but I see it 0.5s up and start getting 'twitchy', usually followed by messing up a corner and losing all that advantage :o. I've always been like that so I can't see me changing anytime soon!

Yorkie065
25-01-2016, 12:37
There goes my 2nd place :(

:D.

If I could just string the lap together, I know I can do a mid 7m08 time but I need to have the discipline to turn the lap timer off. At the moment I use it as a gauge to see whether the lap is worth continuing with but I see it 0.5s up and start getting 'twitchy', usually followed by messing up a corner and losing all that advantage :o. I've always been like that so I can't see me changing anytime soon!

I could be god aweful at it, I haven't actually tried that combo before.

And I know that feeling. Used to find a lot in league racing that in a quali lap, I would be up by a couple of tenths and then back off in the last couple of corners to not throw it away, only to back off so much that I lose the couple of tenths advantage I had :P Still do it from time to time lol

cluck
25-01-2016, 14:37
I could be god aweful at it, I haven't actually tried that combo before.

And I know that feeling. Used to find a lot in league racing that in a quali lap, I would be up by a couple of tenths and then back off in the last couple of corners to not throw it away, only to back off so much that I lose the couple of tenths advantage I had :P Still do it from time to time lolMy first lap was a sighter for the first few corners to get used to the car and the brakes. I then restarted and ran a clean lap, which came out at 7m15. From there I just whittled away, trying to hustle the car as best I could. I did a lap on Saturday where I was 0.45s up by the first timing point but threw it all away going wide at Karussel - I was 0.6s going into it :(.

Plage
25-01-2016, 14:44
I hate to ask what spec your PC is... I know the overlay does cause a bit of a frame rate drop, but Nords is fairly good for frame rates generally..

The replays miss some information (like the transmission whine), it's a known issue

CPU is a slightly dated Phenom II X4 955 (that's a quadcore @ 3.2 GHz), 16 GB RAM and a R9 280X with 3GB. The telemetry overlay shouldn't be the problem. The thing is that I can't record anything live without losing some performance. Maybe it's just the software I'm using (OBS - Open Broadcast Software)?

Didn't knew that but I'd swear it doesn't sounds different ingame (no whine at all) but I've to check again.

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 15:18
CPU is a slightly dated Phenom II X4 955 (that's a quadcore @ 3.2 GHz), 16 GB RAM and a R9 280X with 3GB. The telemetry overlay shouldn't be the problem. The thing is that I can't record anything live without losing some performance. Maybe it's just the software I'm using (OBS - Open Broadcast Software)?

Didn't knew that but I'd swear it doesn't sounds different ingame (no whine at all) but I've to check again.

That's OK, I ran a 955BE myself till I went to the 4770k, one of many odd combinations I used during the dev period.

That's one good thing about NVidia shadowplay, it has very little effect on frame rates.. actually, didn't AMD bring out something similar under their Raptr gaming software ?

Plage
25-01-2016, 15:41
I've tried that recording stuff in Raptor but it somehow didn't worked. I think I read they'd disabled it completely at some point. Will check this out again.

TheReaper GT
25-01-2016, 15:43
I've tried that recording stuff in Raptor but it somehow didn't worked. I think I read they'd disabled it completely at some point. Will check this out again.

Stream to twitch and export it later :D

Plage
25-01-2016, 15:45
OBS is a software used to stream so I'd guess that's not the cause of the problem.

Plage
25-01-2016, 17:27
Downloaded and installed Raptor but it doesn't wants to record even if everything is turned on and looks fine. No clue why.

Besides that I've just checked and I can confirm that I don't have transmission whine ingame at all. What's up with that?

/edit: Ok, the Raptor thingy seems to work now and doesn't seems to have much if any impact on the performance...yay!

jimmyb_84
25-01-2016, 21:05
Just had another quick blast, managed to get a dirty lap to 7:37 but I think I've I actually managed to do a clean lap I could do a 7:32/33. I reset the setup just make sure it was default but now I'm getting a really cold front right might have tweak pressures, I'm losing so much time in the last sector

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 21:08
My alter ego had another try this afternoon using a gamepad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHgFMcbIhvg

and I really should put that to Madness, when I'm driving in my car....

(not sure why, but the stats show that as having ABS on when using real aids..)

xVampirAx
25-01-2016, 21:22
challenge expected.can i use wheel or does it have to pad,also can i do one warm up lap and one flying lap as i might give it a go once i have updated.

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 21:24
challenge expected.can i use wheel or does it have to pad,also can i do one warm up lap and one flying lap as i might give it a go once i have updated.

Drive it with whatever you like (as you can see, I am a sad git and do both ;))

and if you use TT, you can drive as many laps as you like (I did 8 laps on a set of soft tires the other day and they were still usable... (challenge to Cluck :))

TheReaper GT
25-01-2016, 21:27
Mad AI, the ginetta GT4 has ABS.

N0body Of The Goat
25-01-2016, 21:30
Drive it with whatever you like (as you can see, I am a sad git and do both ;))

and if you use TT, you can drive as many laps as you like (I did 8 laps on a set of soft tires the other day and they were still usable... (challenge to Cluck :))

I could do infinite laps on perfect tyres and you would be none the wiser, looking at the PC leaderboard site, because tyre wear can be turned off in Time Trial and it does not show as an assist.;)

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 21:35
I could do infinite laps on perfect tyres and you would be none the wiser, looking at the PC leaderboard site, because tyre wear can be turned off in Time Trial and it does not show as an assist.;)

I know.. but I wouldn't cheat.. I had enough of people cheating when I raced for real (many years ago when all motorcycle races were push start, the people running production bikes would often press the starter button as they "push" started!!)

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 21:40
Mad AI, the ginetta GT4 has ABS.

The GT4 has neither ABS or TC...

P.S. the name is Al as in Allen (and is the name on the side of the No 92.., hence the Madness line)