PDA

View Full Version : Track names

biggbaddwolf
19-01-2016, 19:13
I understand that probably due to license issues some tracks Azure, Sakitto, and Mt Panorama use fictional names, but why are there some tracks using their real names? Are some licenses easier to get for some tracks than others?

crowtrobot
19-01-2016, 19:17
Azure - public roads are free. If they were to use the proper name, it would require a license.
Sakitto - not the real layout. Many of the turns are 'heavily inspired' by Suzuka, but it's not quite the same layout.
Mt. Panorama - is licensed, and is the proper name. The full circuit name is "Mount Panorama, Motor Racing Circuit Bathurst"

thebigb82
19-01-2016, 19:26
Azure is the region of France that Monaco is a part of, its on Gran Turismo under its French name Cote d'Azur, its a work around but its acceptable

biggbaddwolf
19-01-2016, 21:01
Yeah those tracks are in GT6 also. I think Azure is Cote d'Azur, and Mt Panorama is the same, and Sakitto is Suzuka, and I have noticed the Suzuka in GT is some different than Sakitto, but I still don't know if the Suzuka version in GT is exactly correct...

cry4dawn
19-01-2016, 21:30
Sakitto is NOT Suzuka. I'ts kind of close, but there are a few glaring differences (the straight after the first turn into the esses is too long and the hairpin is completely missing, for example). The first time I drove it I was off track quite a few times as I was expecting a more 'Suzuka like' experience.

I haven't driven Azure Circuit so I can't comment on that, but I do like the PTP Azure track.

Mt. Panorama is one of my favorite circuits and it is pretty true to the actual circuit in Bathurst. Like was said earlier, Mt Panorama is the actual name of the real circuit...

biggbaddwolf
19-01-2016, 22:57
I know Sakitto is different than the Suzuka in GT6, but they are similar, and I don't know if Suzuka in GT6 represents the real Suzuka track more accurately or not...

cry4dawn
19-01-2016, 23:24
I'm just going by watching several F1 races at Suzuka and playing the F1 games on that track (where it IS licensed and, as far as I can tell, accurate). I run a PC, so I don't have GT6.

TheReaper GT
19-01-2016, 23:43
As said, Bathurst is correct. You can read Mount Panorama at the mountain. About the licenses, tracks are properties, real state, and the belong to someone or some organization, if so it's a little easier to negotiate. Monaco is a temporary circuit and the license belong to the town government, so it must be a hot mess to deal with... It will not surprise me if suzuka is the same case..

biggbaddwolf
20-01-2016, 03:04
I am still surprised even with a name change that someone hasn't filed a lawsuit for making a likeness of a track. Everyone is so "sue happy" it seems!

Neil Hopwood
20-01-2016, 03:51
I am still surprised even with a name change that someone hasn't filed a lawsuit for making a likeness of a track. Everyone is so "sue happy" it seems!

Track layouts have no protection. Names and logos do.

I'm willing to betbthe main reason Suzuka was changed was not for fear of a lawsuit (as I said there's no real grounds for one) but rather to not get on the circuit owners bad sise, as SMS would like to maintain good relations with them. Especially as the owner in this case is a very large car manufacturer, Honda.

Salty Dog
21-01-2016, 07:42
Interestingly enough just last year Mt Panorama race track as its known here in Oz, has just been given given a official new name, WAHLUU, it will be used as a dual name, not meant to replace the name Mt Panorama but will be officially used beside it, or be used as an alternate name for whom ever wishes to use it.

This has happened after a long champaign by locals / Bathurst Aboriginals and the name Wahluu is a meaning for 'where young people meet' and apparently he was a warrior in Barhurst in Aboriginal mythology in the area.

I doubt the name will be catching on very quick but ive no issue with them paying their respects to the locals and creating a dual name, it can only be a good thing but there was also some very fiery opposition to it, many called it politically correct garbage, one camp was calling the other racist and rednecks, theres plenty of interesting chat about it online.

Its still Mt Panorama to me.

YourManAdrian
21-01-2016, 23:46
I know Sakitto is different than the Suzuka in GT6, but they are similar, and I don't know if Suzuka in GT6 represents the real Suzuka track more accurately or not...

The Suzuka in the GT series games is accurate. It's the real race track. The Sakitto circuit in Project CARS is a Suzuka wannabe and most of the corners are inspired by Suzuka. Mt. Panorama is the real circuit in Australia also known as Bathurst.

SIR_Driftalot
22-01-2016, 10:52
With all due respect mate, go shitpost somewhere else.

As an Austarlian I can confirm this is 100% BS, like most of the bigbadwolfs' threads.

Bealdor
22-01-2016, 10:56
With all due respect mate, go shitpost somewhere else.

As an Austarlian I can confirm this is 100% BS, like most of the bigbadwolfs' threads.

There's absolutely no need for that kind of reply.
If you don't care about threads/questions of some members just ignore them, or put said members on your ignore list.