PDA

View Full Version : Is pcars going to be like Gran turismo ?

SUBGTRACER
20-01-2016, 03:08
We all seem to have a fair idea that we have a few months left of pcars DLC and some patches , what worries me and I'm sure people have opposite thoughts to me with regards to this subject.

What worries me is that like Gran turismo and we are not comparing the games as there is no comparison , is that we are going to wait 2 - 3 years for another pcars .................. I myself hope that isn't the case as I would be prepared to buy a improved version of the original vision later this year ! I realise that's a little pre-mature :)

2-3 cycles are so long . Is that the plan ?

Joshua Healy
20-01-2016, 03:13
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) the target is 2017. Can't remember where I saw it but that number sticks out to me.

Salty Dog
20-01-2016, 03:19
I was hoping we might get it early, end of 2017 seems a long time, i was originally thinking xmas this year or new year, another 2 years is a long wait and if PC waits that long i just couldnt see that as a smart move for the game, im expecting it a lot earlier than late 2017.

JessicaWalter
20-01-2016, 03:32
games with depth and fine details take longer than formulaic annual series. personally, id be happier if they waited longer to craft and polish a proper sequel. im hoping the engine is robust enough to support a long dlc schedule. id rather keep buying additions to the base game and then buy a sequel that adds and improves a larger number of things. i normally find yearly releases to not be worth the money so while id spend $60 a year on dlc for a game i love, i wont spend $60 on a new version of a game every year. every other year isnt too bad, but its still really quick for this size game, especially when things like the tires are still being tweaked this far after release.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
20-01-2016, 03:57
I doubt it'll come earlier than late 2017, it takes a long time to do games like this. But from what you can already see of their plans, it should be well worth the wait, far from just a yearly update like with so many series.

Cheesenium
20-01-2016, 04:32
I dont think pcars is going for the more formulaic sort of annual release as SMS had quite a few plans with the franchise that cannot be done in an annual or biannual cycle. They are going to expand on what we have in the current game with new ideas that are less done.

I had seen the new features that might be in pcars 2, I think it will worth the wait.

Salty Dog
20-01-2016, 04:48
Thanks for the updates guys, well it will be worth the wait, ill be all over it like a blue ass blow fly when it comes out.

Interesting times ahead for console racing, theres some well regarded games coming out in the next few years, lots of healthy competition for PC but for me the BEST thing about PC is i can just jump in and race any car i want, on any track i want, when i want, theres no time wasting time and energy grinding away to unlock some average car, lifes too short for that, theres not many race games like that on console and PC will continue to be my game of choice because of that and because its a bloody great game, i cant see AC coming close on the PS4.

Ian Bell
20-01-2016, 05:18
We'd really like to be able to pump out the sequels from a financial perspective, but our pesky desire to be awesome keeps taking precedence. There is so so much lined up for pCARS2 it's insane but I can say we're looking at 2017.

If the stars align and it all falls to plan, and the team ramp-up flows nicely then it could be middish 17. That's what we're currently aiming at. But nothing is set in stone. It will be released when it's ready and that means a proper solid and long (and expensive!) QA process for version 2 and it will ship when it's a huge step forward from where we currently are.

Invincible
20-01-2016, 05:34
Thank you Ian. I think that is just what some concerned people really need to hear! :)
The proper long (and expensive!) QA alone might calm some hotheaded people.

SUBGTRACER
20-01-2016, 05:41
Well done with the reply Ian , Thank you .

It's a long wait :(

Invincible
20-01-2016, 05:47
Well done with the reply Ian , Thank you .

It's a long wait :(

I think it will be more than worth it. And be honest, what would you prefer? A rushed release with bugs n stuff or a proper one where everything works right out of the box? I'd go with the latter.

Don Rudi
20-01-2016, 05:52
games with depth and fine details take longer than formulaic annual series. personally, id be happier if they waited longer to craft and polish a proper sequel. im hoping the engine is robust enough to support a long dlc schedule. id rather keep buying additions to the base game and then buy a sequel that adds and improves a larger number of things. i normally find yearly releases to not be worth the money so while id spend $60 a year on dlc for a game i love, i wont spend $60 on a new version of a game every year. every other year isnt too bad, but its still really quick for this size game, especially when things like the tires are still being tweaked this far after release.

I totally agree, but the problem is, it is said we won't see that DLC support for long. Just 3 DLCs left iirc

Invincible
20-01-2016, 06:04
I totally agree, but the problem is, it is said we won't see that DLC support for long. Just 3 DLCs left iirc

As much as we all would like longer DLC support, at some point the team has to move on and focus on the next iteration. I think I am right when I say that this does apply to DLC support only. IIRC, patch support will continue a bit longer.

Don Rudi
20-01-2016, 06:45
As much as we all would like longer DLC support, at some point the team has to move on and focus on the next iteration. I think I am right when I say that this does apply to DLC support only. IIRC, patch support will continue a bit longer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. To be honest, when I bought the game I wasn't aware of DLC support at all and it was a nice surprise. I'd just be nice if SMS would drop us a new DLC every now and then till PCars2 to keep users at it. 2017 is a long a way and there are certainly a couple interesting other racing games coming.

Shinzah
20-01-2016, 06:49
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. To be honest, when I bought the game I wasn't aware of DLC support at all and it was a nice surprise. I'd just be nice if SMS would drop us a new DLC every now and then till PCars2 to keep users at it. 2017 is a long a way and there are certainly a couple interesting other racing games coming.

Play them. I'm not joking.

Sure retention is great, but after a while going to something else until the new game comes out will dull the senses and the next game will feel newer and fresh again. I plan to go ahead and play a quite few racing games for way too many hours in the coming years. ^^;

Invincible
20-01-2016, 07:05
Play them. I'm not joking.

Sure retention is great, but after a while going to something else until the new game comes out will dull the senses and the next game will feel newer and fresh again. I plan to go ahead and play a quite few racing games for way too many hours in the coming years. ^^;

Like Shinz said, it isn't like we're married to Pcars (although my GF starts to think I am) and are obliged to play pcars only. Go for GT Sports when it is available for example. And come back to Pcars 2 and be amazed again!

Ryzza5
20-01-2016, 07:09
Wish I could share some of the things I've seen in the WMD 2.0 forums. Quite a bit to get excited over, personally.

Ian Bell
20-01-2016, 08:22
Wish I could share some of the things I've seen in the WMD 2.0 forums. Quite a bit to get excited over, personally.

We'll probably start teasing them soon. I want the teases to be awesome though :)

theothermexico
20-01-2016, 08:24
We'll probably start teasing them soon. I want the teases to be awesome though :)

Is this regarding features like classes, race formats, etc?

Or the car/track/disciplines?

graveltrap
20-01-2016, 08:32
Very good to hear of the improved QA process, its one of the things that really bugs me about the game right now...

Ouch that was a bad one ;) :)

balderz002
20-01-2016, 08:40

I would've thought most things will get teased, released, discussed eventually.....

graveltrap, that was truly bad.

theothermexico
20-01-2016, 08:46
I would've thought most things will get teased, released, discussed eventually.....

graveltrap, that was truly bad.

Yeah I know, just wondering where you would start this far out from release.

I'm always curious how things like this work

Invincible
20-01-2016, 08:52
Yeah I know, just wondering where you would start this far out from release.

I'm always curious how things like this work

Acquired licenses maybe? That were the probably the first things that were teased for Pcars 1 at least.

balderz002
20-01-2016, 08:54
I wouldve liked to have seen the last DLC down for PCars1, before they go and get me all worked up for 2!

Joshua Healy
20-01-2016, 09:13

I think everyone is going to hit the floor once they see the tech development that's going on over there.... The future of this franchise is going to be amazing.

aurel
20-01-2016, 09:32
I seem to remember that the Gran Turismo releases I played were pretty stable and mature when they were "abandoned". I don't think I ever felt like I needed to wait for the next Gran Turismo game to be released just because I wanted certain bugs to be gone. I actually remember times when the worst bug we were talking about while playing online was that the values for a single slider in the car setup were reversed (I think it was camber or toe). It will be interesting to see if pCars makes it to this state, but my hope is dwindling, considering that some of the issues that affect my every day game play haven't even made it on the "known issues" list yet (highly visible and easily reproducible stuff like the broken chat in online lobby after entering a session, physics glitches of e.g. the Audi R8 V10 or SLS AMG, which can be made to actually reset their physics model by driving them hard, and of course a lot of the issues we experience day in, day out in online sessions). "pCars2 will fix it" has become a running gag in my regular lobby. Somebody assure me that pCars is going to be more like the Gran Turismo of my memories, please.

JessicaWalter
20-01-2016, 09:46

i was talking about for the second game.

Daynja
20-01-2016, 11:22

To be honest, even if a forum user did spill the beans (i hope they dont) nobody would believe them. It needs to come from SMS for people to believe the new features that added & being created for it during development (they are that amazing)

Invincible
20-01-2016, 11:25
To be honest, even if a forum user did spill the beans (i hope they dont) nobody would believe them. It needs to come from SMS for people to believe the new features that added & being created for it during development (they are that amazing)

No, the thing is, many WOULD believe the WMD member. More than they probably should.
And that will cause false rumors to spread just like it did during Pcars 1 development

20-01-2016, 14:49
We'll probably start teasing them soon. I want the teases to be awesome though :)Steve's work alone will blow people's minds all over the place if you do the teasing right. =)

Neil Hopwood
20-01-2016, 15:14
I think everyone is going to hit the floor once they see the tech development that's going on over there.... The future of this franchise is going to be amazing.

No kidding, I'm in awe of the new tech theyve rolled out, and it just seems to get cooler and cooler each update.

kevin kirk
20-01-2016, 15:15
if we get indy car its going to add another life cycle to this game for me. No problem waiting

Daynja
20-01-2016, 15:57
No kidding, I'm in awe of the new tech theyve rolled out, and it just seems to get cooler and cooler each update.

Amen to that.

mister dog
20-01-2016, 16:03
I think it's better that there is a long period in between games that are of a 'large scale', so more time is spend on making sure what is represented works and is complete, before moving on to the next installment.

Not really a fan of companies shelving out sequel after sequel which all look and feel the same, but with some extra features. I understand that they do it though as that's where the big bucks are and the punters are loving it anyway, but my preference goes to quality over quantity, and through following up games with sequels in a tight time frame quality mostly suffers.

ex_
20-01-2016, 18:20
why are people so concerned with having that "new best thing"? Just enjoy your game(s) and don't worry about what year they were released. I would be pissed if any sim-racing game came out with annual releases. pCARS took so long to get configured, that I'm just NOW starting to actually "play"...

DARIUS213456
20-01-2016, 18:26
I don't mind waiting another couple years if Project CARS 2 is an improvement to the first installment and isn't rushed.

Cholton82
20-01-2016, 18:35
With all the new stuff planned and advances in tech how will it be any better on PS4 and Xbox one ? I mean aren't these already pushed to the limit ? I own both and have Pcars on PS4 and I can't imagine it looking better than it does now I think my console may blow up lol .

JessicaWalter
20-01-2016, 18:40
With all the new stuff planned and advances in tech how will it be any better on PS4 and Xbox one ? I mean aren't these already pushed to the limit ? I own both and have Pcars on PS4 and I can't imagine it looking better than it does now I think my console may blow up lol .

there's a lot more to games than just graphics. pretty pictures aren't a fun game by themselves.

Rofas
20-01-2016, 18:44
We'd really like to be able to pump out the sequels from a financial perspective, but our pesky desire to be awesome keeps taking precedence. There is so so much lined up for pCARS2 it's insane but I can say we're looking at 2017.

If the stars align and it all falls to plan, and the team ramp-up flows nicely then it could be middish 17. That's what we're currently aiming at. But nothing is set in stone. It will be released when it's ready and that means a proper solid and long (and expensive!) QA process for version 2 and it will ship when it's a huge step forward from where we currently are.

This sounds more like a wish. pcars2 must be feature complete in roughly 1 year in order to do a proper and long QA. Feature complete within 1 year basically means not all planned features are included and some areas won't improve over pcars1. Best case Q4 2017 imho, but I bet it will come in H1 2018 because delays are business as usual. I hope it doesn't come before Q4 2017 because otherwise it will look more like pcars 1.5 instead 2.0 realistically.

20-01-2016, 18:46
With all the new stuff planned and advances in tech how will it be any better on PS4 and Xbox one ? I mean aren't these already pushed to the limit ? I own both and have Pcars on PS4 and I can't imagine it looking better than it does now I think my console may blow up lol .Reworking the engine can allow them to fix bottlenecks they've encountered more freely than they could with pCARS, and like Jessica said, there's so much more to it than "just" the graphics. =)

Cholton82
20-01-2016, 19:42
Reworking the engine can allow them to fix bottlenecks they've encountered more freely than they could with pCARS, and like Jessica said, there's so much more to it than "just" the graphics. =)

Thanks , please don't think all I'm interested in is the looks far from it . I'd rather have a fully immersive Motorsport sim with everything from fully working flags and caution periods to fully dynamic random weather in career mode and a little more Ai accidents / breakdowns and spins . Gameplay and content first then graphics IMO . And hey even if it looked the same as pcars 1 I'd be happy !!

MAARTEN
20-01-2016, 19:50
I'd rather wait for an awesome sequel than a game that were being completed in a hurry just so we get a sequel.

We will have much fun with Project CARS 1 till then :)

RetroNooB
20-01-2016, 20:59

would be awesome to see an official SMS tease channel on twitch with various development staff, once a week or something :)

any chance Ian?

bcredeur97
20-01-2016, 21:10
Guys just don't forget just how much work it is to produce a game like this. I know Ian said mid 2017 (at least early on in this post, correct me if I'm wrong) But if it ends up being late 2017 or even early 2018 we really shouldn't complain. In my experience when a company tackles big projects like this the due date is always that tad bit later than expected. It's just so easy to run into bugs and stuff that need to be fixed and when that due date is coming up crunch time gets real, people get no sleep, panic is everywhere. Yes, customers get angry when you have to push things back but believe me, I can tell the Dev Team at least for this game is highly committed, they work so hard on it, if the date does get pushed back, it is not their fault, more than likely problems came up (bugs usually, when you have such a big piece of software it's sooo easy to make little mistakes.. yes these mistakes can be found and fixed but that takes time!).

All of this is reasoning why I prefer games to be "surprises" like they sometimes were in the old days. But you can't necessarily do that these days because of funding issues. But at the very least give the devs some breathing room. It's ok to expect things but if things get pushed back a little bit we just need to calm down and say "ok thats fine, we understand the issues you ran into and we will be patient while you fix them." there are of course exceptions (Butterfly Labs for example-- I don't know if any of you guys did Bitcoin stuff, but when my butterfly labs stuff came in 8 months late I was furious especially since I had spent a good part of my savings on their stuff, they were sued later on). But I think for the most part we can trust SMS, they have delivered in the past and they will deliver again. Lets just do our part to be happy and patient customers.

Ian Bell
20-01-2016, 21:40
Steve's work alone will blow people's minds all over the place if you do the teasing right. =)

Yup, it's pretty insane :)

SUBGTRACER
20-01-2016, 21:45
Yup, it's pretty insane :)

Teasing way to early :) ........................... Don't do this to us PLEASE! It's agonising enough waiting for a patch let alone a whole game with new content and insane stuff.

20-01-2016, 21:56
Yup, it's pretty insane :)Yup, some might say it's slightly mad. And it's not like the rest of the devs are just twiddling their thumbs either. =)

RomKnight
20-01-2016, 22:54
I concur :)

Benjamin Benichou
21-01-2016, 00:32

Oh yes yes, i have a pretty jpg collection and i'm very happy if we can show this to the world smsoon :D

Mr Schumacher
21-01-2016, 01:38
Bently should take their Licence back.. You guys have destroyed their GT3 car.. The M3 is practically a GT2 car that can easily out pace the other GT cars with the right setup.. The Aston Martin GTE is clearly slower than the other GT cars.. But ppl complain that the BENTLY GT3 car had to much acceleration?? WOW.. How is it, that the car is MUCH slower than B4, but STILL VERY tail happy.. It BLOWS my mind.. And I won't say much about my carrer.. But I've raced cars for a VERY LONG TIME.. And I just had to call this one out.. Just remove the car if it's gonna be the worst performing car in the game..

vahagn_hayk
21-01-2016, 02:14
we are into 2016, middish 2017 pcars2, end of 2017 with pcars2, is pcars1 basically going to be put on the track which has a dead end around end of 2016? just curious how long this game will stick around if "shelf life" is 2-3 years max. is that what the industry considers life span of a game? just wondering.

SUBGTRACER
21-01-2016, 03:40
The life span will stretch a little with Vr coming .......

TheReaper GT
21-01-2016, 03:56
Any chance of one or two sporadic dlcs after the monthly releases end?

Cheesenium
21-01-2016, 04:56
Any chance of one or two sporadic dlcs after the monthly releases end?

It would be nice if SMS could release sporadic DLCs after the monthly DLC ends. All the way until Pcars 2 reaches Beta or a state that the game is presentable.

Considering Pcars original supposed to be out in 2012 and it was delayed to 2015, a long gap between both games with no new content for Pcars 1 doesn't really sounds like a good idea. Still, I'll probably still struggle to drive a large portion of the car even when Pcars 2 has solid release date planed in 2018. The game has a lot to offer, if one actually look into what each car and track could offer but I still want more DLCs after the whole monthly DLC ends.

Don Rudi
21-01-2016, 05:23
Bently should take their Licence back.. You guys have destroyed their GT3 car.. The M3 is practically a GT2 car that can easily out pace the other GT cars with the right setup.. The Aston Martin GTE is clearly slower than the other GT cars.. But ppl complain that the BENTLY GT3 car had to much acceleration?? WOW.. How is it, that the car is MUCH slower than B4, but STILL VERY tail happy.. It BLOWS my mind.. And I won't say much about my carrer.. But I've raced cars for a VERY LONG TIME.. And I just had to call this one out.. Just remove the car if it's gonna be the worst performing car in the game..

Different suggestion - why don't you simply don't drive it, if you don't like it? Just because you think it is aweful, it shall be taken away from all of us? Quite a selfish approach imho

theothermexico
21-01-2016, 05:36

Wasn't it to bring it in line with its real world bop?

Tell us about your career, what have you raced? Have you had a go in real world gt or anything comparable?

Cheesenium
21-01-2016, 05:37
Different suggestion - why don't you simply don't drive it, if you don't like it? Just because you think it is aweful, it shall be taken away from all of us? Quite a selfish approach imho

Might as well cancel the upcoming AMG GT3 and C7R if those people's concern are about balances as you don't expect a 10+ car class with equally balanced performance across all cars. There will be some cars will be faster than others while balancing all of them to be equally fast can lose each car's unique driving experience. Just like the dull and boring Bentley that was nerfed after all the complains that it's too fast.

Perfect balance on every car will never ever happen because there are way too many factors affecting how fast a car drives. Even in real life, there isn't any way to achieve perfect balance, let alone a video game. Other than having single makes, there is no way to have perfect balance.

I still think Pcars going for the "esports" crowd is a huge mistake, it gives people a silly reason to complain about balance because it is an "esports" now.

I can drive a R8 pretty decently in Pcars but put me in a Ginetta or Ruf, I can barely drive past the first corner. Does that mean the Ruf and Ginetta should be removed from the game because it's a slow car for me? Or like what he said, let's remove the Ruf and ginetta cause I am terrible at it.

bmanic
21-01-2016, 08:16
It will be released when it's ready and that means a proper solid and long (and expensive!) QA process for version 2 and it will ship when it's a huge step forward from where we currently are.

Not to be a Debbie Doubter but what good will an expensive QA team be if the bugs that get reported are never fixed? There are still bugs present in the game that were clearly reported (with step by step instructions of how to reproduce, 100% of the time) numerous times during the WMD pre-alpha and beta period of WMD. Game has now been out more than 6 months and some of those bugs are still present, completely ignored. They've been mentioned since release on and off multiple times. I understand that critical bugs have to take priority but some of the known bugs are of the sort that cause confusion.. like the steering ratio setup bug. If you tweak the steering ratio of a car in the garage while on-track your steering wheel doesn't work as it's supposed to any more, which in turn causes the FFB to feel very different and the car handling to be strange. This means people who don't know about the bug will go on public forums and complain about wonky physics/FFB/car handling.

These kind of bugs cause hard to quantify but very real damage to the brand and makes people doubt statements like the one I quoted. I'd be lying if said I have full confidence in SMS ability to create a better, more robust experience with pCars 2.

mister dog
21-01-2016, 08:51
Not to be a Debbie Doubter but what good will an expensive QA team be if the bugs that get reported are never fixed? There are still bugs present in the game that were clearly reported (with step by step instructions of how to reproduce, 100% of the time) numerous times during the WMD pre-alpha and beta period of WMD. Game has now been out more than 6 months and some of those bugs are still present, completely ignored. They've been mentioned since release on and off multiple times. I understand that critical bugs have to take priority but some of the known bugs are of the sort that cause confusion.. like the steering ratio setup bug. If you tweak the steering ratio of a car in the garage while on-track your steering wheel doesn't work as it's supposed to any more, which in turn causes the FFB to feel very different and the car handling to be strange. This means people who don't know about the bug will go on public forums and complain about wonky physics/FFB/car handling.

These kind of bugs cause hard to quantify but very real damage to the brand and makes people doubt statements like the one I quoted. I'd be lying if said I have full confidence in SMS ability to create a better, more robust experience with pCars 2.
Seeing that the setup of the Q&A team will be different this time round compared to how it was before PCARS 1 (not sure if i may disclose details on that), i hope that will be the necessary leap forwards regarding bug control which remains to be seen of course.

It's a fact bugs are the main point of criticism with regards to PCARS, that's evident on every internet forum you visit. After Shift 2 having this occurring again in PCARS 1 was already unacceptable for a lot of people, especially after the game was delayed for months because of this reason and even still it was released with many issues. Having history repeating itself once again for PCARS 2 would be the final straw under the 'three strikes and you're out' law IMO.

Otherworld
21-01-2016, 09:23
I'd rather have a great, complete, game full of exciting new features AND traditional features (yeah things like ability to do custom grids, to have more than one custom livery, to mod the game easily) going out in 2018 than a game made too quickly going out in 2016/2017.
Take your time to do things right SMS, learn from CDPR.

hdh
21-01-2016, 09:32
I'd rather have a great, complete, game full of exciting new features AND traditional features (yeah things like ability to do custom grids, to have more than one custom livery, to mod the game easily) going out in 2018 than a game made too quickly going out in 2016/2017.

Agreed. For anyone wishing for pCARS to become a yearly release title, just look at what's happened to the Codemasters F1 franchise. A decrease in content, and increase in bugs. It's become a publish and forget title, more or less abandoned by the devs the minute it's shipped out the door, so they can make next years title.

bmanic
21-01-2016, 17:29

.. except all The Witcher games have been seriously buggy at launch, so not at all a good example to learn from. However CDPR at least stuck to the game and kept supporting it way beyond duty which has bought them a lot of good will.

RetroNooB
21-01-2016, 17:31
Agreed. For anyone wishing for pCARS to become a yearly release title, just look at what's happened to the Codemasters F1 franchise. A decrease in content, and increase in bugs. It's become a publish and forget title, more or less abandoned by the devs the minute it's shipped out the door, so they can make next years title.

im sure i heard somewhere that code-disasters F1 licence was up this year?! though i couldve got my wires crossed.

GT_Racing
21-01-2016, 18:22

I just wanted to point out that most annual series are made by multiple developers that work on the game for more than 1 year.

Pisshead30
18-10-2016, 11:14

I agree totally would rather buy a good base game them spend my money on dlc and improvents than a yearly new release

Stewy32
18-10-2016, 17:42
As long as Project CARS 2 is out by 2019 I will keep on the old one..hang one that means I will be on league Season 14 and 1v1 in people with hardly anyone online.Or are we all staying loyal?

hkraft300
19-10-2016, 09:38
... are we all staying loyal?

Pcars is love.
Pcars is life.

How dare you suggest otherwise :D

Not much on the horizon to challenge the current game.
Might give AC a crack out of curiosity once its price drops.
Otherwise GT Sport doesn't interest me so Ye, I'll still be floating around the public lobbies.
Honing my skills and setups for the sequel ;)

Fran_Montoya
24-10-2016, 21:21
I contemplated buying this game thinking it would be like Forza. Then everyone says this game is for the hardcore racing fans. However, that's just making me want it more. I want the challenge and the struggle and the frustration.