PDA

View Full Version : Crowd / Ambient Sound makes game unplayable

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 14:50
...it hit me.

Green Hell....middle of the country.....over or 'behind' the sound of my v8 engine the cheering of 100,000 screaming fans.

Please for the love of God can we have sliders to remove the unrealistic crowd noises and airhorns....it can't be that hard surely?

Or does anyone know of an alternate way of doing this e.g. renaming a sound file or editing a config file? Any way to leave the sound of my car and the opponents without all this other BS would be brilliant.

Thanks

balderz002
20-01-2016, 14:52
Is there not an option in the audio part of the settings?

I cant remember whats in there now..........

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 14:55
Yea there's an option to turn off / down 'sound effects' which does appear to work beautifully.

Problem is some genius thought a crash sound was a sound effect....now I have silent bumps, scrapes and crashes.

So it solves one problem and ruins another :(

Roger Prynne
20-01-2016, 14:56
...it hit me.

Green Hell....middle of the country.....over or 'behind' the sound of my v8 engine the cheering of 100,000 screaming fans.

Please for the love of God can we have sliders to remove the unrealistic crowd noises and airhorns....it can't be that hard surely?

Or does anyone know of an alternate way of doing this e.g. renaming a sound file or editing a config file? Any way to leave the sound of my car and the opponents without all this other BS would be brilliant.

Thanks

Strange as I've never had that problem.

kevin kirk
20-01-2016, 14:57
there are sliders for engine sounds and effect sounds and a master volume in the game.

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 14:59
Yes but I want to remove all that ambient airhorn and crowd crap. Just leave me with the pure engine / tyre / collision sounds.

E.g. sliders in GTR2 / GCSE / F1 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / RRE all let me do this.

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 15:05
LOL I even added the -skipcrowds parm to Steam.

Now I can race with empty stands....and still have 100,000 screaming fans....

Shinzah
20-01-2016, 15:15
May I just clarify something.

Unplayable - The game does not function in any useful or intended purpose, at all.
Mild Annoyance - The game does not provide an audio slider for your present pet peeve.

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 15:25

Unplayable - The game does not function in any useful or intended purpose, at all.
Mild Annoyance - The game does not provide an audio slider for your present pet peeve. :yes:

Ok you're correct in what you're saying...it's not game breaking.

For someone with tinnitus it is more than a mild annoyance though. I've resigned myself to no sound effects at all and just leaving the engine sounds.

John Hargreaves
20-01-2016, 16:33
Do you know, I've never even noticed that. I'll listen out for it next time. Is it just the Nordschleife that feels wrong to you, or crowd sounds in general?

Silraed
20-01-2016, 16:40
For someone with tinnitus it is more than a mild annoyance though.

As a sufferer of severe tinnitus, can you explain to me why this makes the crowd noise more of an annoyance?

Neil Bateman
20-01-2016, 16:42
I have never heard anywhere near the level that you desribe on any tack while driving, in garage and the grid to a degree yes but not while driving.

My game must be missing this particular feature.

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 18:35
As a sufferer of severe tinnitus, can you explain to me why this makes the crowd noise more of an annoyance?

Because the particular form that I have is related to degenerative hearing loss and is at a particular frequency.

The 'crowd' noise for some reason is very painful. For instance I sometimes have to go outside a room when there are lots of people talking (like at the start of an event for instance)....that particular sound is very bad. So the crowd noises sounds like white noise that underlies the other sounds.

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 18:36
I have never heard anywhere near the level that you desribe on any tack while driving, in garage and the grid to a degree yes but not while driving.

My game must be missing this particular feature.

I don't know if you're trying to be sarcastic, but it's not missing that feature. It's likely that you have good hearing and therefore don't notice it. My hope is you never have to :)

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 18:37
Do you know, I've never even noticed that. I'll listen out for it next time. Is it just the Nordschleife that feels wrong to you, or crowd sounds in general?

No John its all tracks at various places. E.g. the stadium section at Hockenheim is particularly bad.

Konan
20-01-2016, 18:39

Mild Annoyance - The game does not provide an audio slider for your present pet peeve.

You're on a roll today mate...:rolleyes:

John Hargreaves
20-01-2016, 18:52
No John its all tracks at various places. E.g. the stadium section at Hockenheim is particularly bad.

I wonder if you are particularly sensitive to that sound/frequency, which makes it more irritating to you. I've always found the crowd sounds about right, certainly not intrusive or harsh. Do you play with headphones or speakers? I remember hearing Lewis Hamilton say once that he could often hear crowd sounds even over the old F1 engines when you drive into a stadium section.
I can see how it might seem odd at a track day or a formula Rookie race.

Ezuna
20-01-2016, 18:57
I wonder if you are particularly sensitive to that sound/frequency, which makes it more irritating to you. I've always found the crowd sounds about right, certainly not intrusive or harsh. Do you play with headphones or speakers? I remember hearing Lewis Hamilton say once that he could often hear crowd sounds even over the old F1 engines when you drive into a stadium section.
I can see how it might seem odd at a track day or a formula Rookie race.

Yea John it's def related to a particular frequency / tone. I'm 47 and was told that I've the hearing of a 65 year old and that it will get worse. So it's not a criticism of the game even though it came across that way. My frustration is I can't cut it out with an options slider without losing crash sounds etc.

I play with headphones and also speakers depending on the time of day and it always is about the same.

MAARTEN
20-01-2016, 19:03
A vote for a slider to adjust the crowd-volume from me. Frankly you shouldn't even hear the crowd when you're in cockpit and the engine is roaring. Now it sound just like you were standing among thousands of spectators.

Silraed
20-01-2016, 19:21
Because the particular form that I have is related to degenerative hearing loss and is at a particular frequency.

The 'crowd' noise for some reason is very painful. For instance I sometimes have to go outside a room when there are lots of people talking (like at the start of an event for instance)....that particular sound is very bad. So the crowd noises sounds like white noise that underlies the other sounds.

Ah yes, I didn't think of the frequencies.

As a relatively young person suffering from tinnitus I have been told of some of the difficulties and discomforts I may face in the future, it can be hard sometimes.

Neil Bateman
20-01-2016, 19:25
I don't know if you're trying to be sarcastic, but it's not missing that feature. It's likely that you have good hearing and therefore don't notice it. My hope is you never have to :)

Not at all, just meant that as I have never heard these sounds from helmet can view I thought either they are not present or somehow disabled or turned off or right down.