PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed before I buy a TH8A TOMORROW ! Please let me know if its worth it?

0racle
20-01-2016, 21:22
Hey guys

I plan on buying a TH8A clutch for my T500RS setup that includes the pro peddles with clutch.

- can I play using ANY car with the H shifter gate and shift into any gear / neutral at any time?
- are there any issues with compatibility? I dont want to have to change from sequential to H gates depending on the car I want to drive. I either want to do ALL sequential or ALL H gate without any issues using a manual clutch and no constraints on shifting such as going from 5 to 3 etc etc etc.

please let me know what I should be aware of so I dont buy a very heavy $200 paper weight.

Warren1571
21-01-2016, 00:47
I can highly recommend it!

It's a great shifter, very solid. Gear changes in H pattern feel really good, works perfectly with the clutch. I have used it a lot in both H pattern and as a sequential shifter. (changing it over only takes a few minutes - but of course can be annoying). I have a tendency to use it as a H pattern when I'm in old school mode driving the older cars, but change it to sequential when driving modern cars. I go through phases of driving different era cars.

It works great both ways. I generally try to stay true to what the real vehicle shifter would be, whether that is paddle shift, sequential box or H pattern.

From my experience with it though, you can drive all cars as H pattern or all as sequential depending on what you prefer and if you want to leave it one particular setup all the time.

Good luck and hope you enjoy the shifter if you get one, I think you will! :)

JessicaWalter
21-01-2016, 01:24
can you change what gear goes where? like if you're driving a bmw can reverse be where 1st gear is for most cars?

Warren1571
21-01-2016, 01:34
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if that is possible unless there is something in the PCars config menus to do it, I've never actually tried to map the shifter gates to different gears, but I'll check it out when I am on later tonight.

0racle
21-01-2016, 02:47
Wait, so you can 100% confirm that in H pattern ALL cars work without issue? Meaning i can go into nutural without glitching?

I can shif from 6 to 1 and it recognizes that? No need to go from 6 -5-4-3-2-1 ?

I saw numerous threads of this posing problems? All has been fixed?

Warren1571
21-01-2016, 03:12
Wait, so you can 100% confirm that in H pattern ALL cars work without issue? Meaning i can go into nutural without glitching?

I can shif from 6 to 1 and it recognizes that? No need to go from 6 -5-4-3-2-1 ?

Yes, you can definitely skip gears, not sure how you'll go going from 6th to 1st, that could end in disaster, hehe.

I think the key thing is, that as long as your revs and speed ars acceptable you can downshift and skip gears as you go. I have definitely done that. Quite often I'll brake, slow down and go from 5th down to 2nd into a corner with no issues.

The one thing I do find though is that using the H pattern is definitely slower for my lap times than if I use the paddle shifters. So if I'm racing online, paddle shifters is the only way to go.

Fre.Mo
21-01-2016, 07:39
I just sold mine because I was too slow changing gears on mp online races...

Robhd
21-01-2016, 07:43
The shifter works brilliantly in H pattern with the game and overall the experience is much more immersive.

Hope you are getting a deal price on the shifter not paying full retail?

Robhd
21-01-2016, 07:53
can you change what gear goes where? like if you're driving a bmw can reverse be where 1st gear is for most cars?

Hi Jessica

That is a very good question... To create a dog leg box like with old BMW's etc.

This review https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaster-th8a-shifter-review/ says you can using the shifters built in firmware if you hook it up to the PC.

I have had mine since last May and haven't investigated tinkering with it... I now feel suitably ashamed!...lol

cmch15
21-01-2016, 07:54

I think if the car you're driving has a sequential shift (and you're using the H-shifter)you can skip gears, the car will just go through them on it's own. If you move the shifter into neutral though I think it will just stay in the gear you're in. I have the Logitech shifter but the action is the same, maybe someone else can confirm.

If you're driving an H pattern car you can block change as in real life.

cmch15
21-01-2016, 08:04
Hi Jessica

That is a very good question... To create a dog leg box like with old BMW's etc.

This review https://www.gtplanet.net/thrustmaster-th8a-shifter-review/ says you can using the shifters built in firmware if you hook it up to the PC.

I have had mine since last May and haven't investigated tinkering with it... I now feel suitably ashamed!...lol

Do you need to mess about with firmware? Can you not just program 1st to be where 2nd is and so forth in the controller menu?

Robhd
21-01-2016, 08:48
Haven't tried that but suspect it may be a firmware job... Not hard mind

SIR_Driftalot
21-01-2016, 09:12
Yes, you can definitely skip gears, not sure how you'll go going from 6th to 1st, that could end in disaster, hehe.

I think the key thing is, that as long as your revs and speed ars acceptable you can downshift and skip gears as you go. I have definitely done that. Quite often I'll brake, slow down and go from 5th doLwn to 2nd into a corner with no issues.

The one thing I do find though is that using the H pattern is definitely slower for my lap times than if I use the paddle shifters. So if I'm racing online, paddle shifters is the only way to go.

First off, as far as the TH8A goes, I personally think its a great addition to any racing set up and I highly recommend it just for the 'fun' factor of using the H pattern shifter in older cars.

However my main point is I've found on certain cars using the H pattern shifter is faster then the paddles, when using auto clutch anyhow.
My rule is, if the car has the old school analog dial, I use the H pattern, and if it has the digital dial im free to use whichever I feel is fastest.
If you put the telemetry on while driving an old school car you can see while changing gears with the paddles the auto clutching by default seems to be longer then when using the H shifter in the same scenario.

Just my 2 cents.

JessicaWalter
21-01-2016, 10:19
Hi Jessica

sweet, thanks for the info. if it wasn't possible i was probably gonna skip a shifter when i get a setup in may since i primarily like the formula cars so paddle would be fine, but since i cant drive anymore after a serious accident (hit a small building at 100+ in an 88 535is) i really miss simple things like shifting and this will absolutely make my day. cheers!

cluck
21-01-2016, 10:31
To the OP, if you are driving a car with a sequential box or paddle-shift then you will not be able to shift into neutral whenever you feel like it. Also, to get from 6th to 1st, in those cars, will require that you go down through the gears.

I have a TH8-RS and I use it solely for cars with manual boxes. I use the paddles on my wheel for any car with a sequential gearbox or paddle shift.

I haven't tried it for a while, but you also cannot change to neutral in a lot of the cars until they are below a certain speed (usually those with a paddle shift).

Hope that helps :).

justonce68
21-01-2016, 12:15
I have one and as previously stated its great in the old cars, but it is faster to use the paddle shift, mine gets used rarely.

0racle
21-01-2016, 13:43
Thanks for all the info, it clears things up.

If i hook up the TH8A can i still use paddles at thr SAME time? Would it be auto clutch or manual clutch?

cluck
21-01-2016, 13:49

If i hook up the TH8A can i still use paddles at thr SAME time? Would it be auto clutch or manual clutch?I don't know about the PlayStation but certainly on PC you can allocate specific controls for each of the gears and for shifting up and shifting down. With regards the clutch, if it's the same as on PC then you can enable it or disable it in the menus. For cars with paddle / sequential shift you can just drive them the same way you have been, with the paddles - you don't need to use the clutch for them but some of the sequential boxes do require a lift of the throttle to shift.

PureMalt77
21-01-2016, 15:02
I have it and I love it!

Now, the H-shifter only make sense in real manual-gear cars. You can shift from 5th to 3rd directly for example, as the real-life car would accept. From 6th to 1st, well, get ready to spin or destroy the car!

If the real-life car has a sequential gear, if you change from 5th to 3rd, you will see in the screen shifting to 4th first, as if you engaged 4th before.

Refer to http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/bycar, pick any car and click the little (i) button, which tells all technical info about the car. There you can see if the car is manual or sequential.

You can remove the H-plate from the TH8A and replace by a sequential (+ -), like Rally cars. You have to unscrew the top place to do it, would have been nice some sort of snap-in mechanism. But does not take too long to do it.

Marrrfooo
21-01-2016, 15:30

If i hook up the TH8A can i still use paddles at thr SAME time? Would it be auto clutch or manual clutch?

The TH8A connects to the T300RS (and probably the T500) via its own dedicated connector - therefore the paddles and shifter are active at the same time - so even mid-race you can choose to switch between using the shifter and the paddles (certainly in sequential shifter mode). Not sure in H pattern - it may transmit a signal all the time in H mode that overrides anything you do with the paddles, but I doubt it.

The clutch will depend on whether you've set it to auto or manual - what you choose to actually change gear with (shifter/paddles) is irrelevant as far as I can tell.

Marrrfooo
21-01-2016, 15:33
I don't know about the PlayStation but certainly on PC you can allocate specific controls for each of the gears and for shifting up and shifting down. With regards the clutch, if it's the same as on PC then you can enable it or disable it in the menus. For cars with paddle / sequential shift you can just drive them the same way you have been, with the paddles - you don't need to use the clutch for them but some of the sequential boxes do require a lift of the throttle to shift.

I'm fairly sure you can (if you really want to!) in H mode tell the shifter what gear each slot does - so you could entirely mix them up and swap them round - but I've never tried actually changing them myself so someone else would need to test and confirm that. It definitely lists the specific gear number against a slot on the shifter when I look at it on my setup which suggests they can be changed if you want - only difference is mine is set to sequential so the stick never actually reaches those physical locations (as you have to turn the base 90 degrees (then rotate the housing back to compensate so it faces the right way) to run it in sequential).