PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Temp Question (and brake temp question)

Ezuna
21-01-2016, 11:06
This likely applies to all sims :

Is there a 'zone' for temps?

E.g. : For GT3 you want to aim for xyz, but for F1 you want to aim for ABC?

Or is it dependent as well on the track?

How do I know if tyres are too hot or cold?

Also....the same question for brakes?

N0body Of The Goat
21-01-2016, 11:19
Different tyre compounds have different optimum temperatures, as do different brakes.

For example, GT3 soft slicks used to work at their best at ~90C, their brakes at ~550C. For the Formula A, soft slicks worked well at ~100C, their brakes at ~750C.

But with recent changes to the tyres especially, I don't know if that holds true any more.

What I can tell you is that the tyre HUD colour guide is completely useless right now, because it has not been calibrated with all the changes to tyres from patch 6 to patch 8. For example, GT3 softs show green on the HUD at ~110C, but you should notice hot rear tyre oversteer on corner exit and hot front tyre understeer on corner entry.

Ezuna
21-01-2016, 11:53
Different tyre compounds have different optimum temperatures, as do different brakes.

For example, GT3 soft slicks used to work at their best at ~90C, their brakes at ~550C. For the Formula A, soft slicks worked well at ~100C, their brakes at ~750C.

But with recent changes to the tyres especially, I don't know if that holds true any more.

What I can tell you is that the tyre HUD colour guide is completely useless right now, because it has not been calibrated with all the changes to tyres from patch 6 to patch 8. For example, GT3 softs show green on the HUD at ~110C, but you should notice hot rear tyre oversteer on corner exit and hot front tyre understeer on corner entry.

Thanks for this explanation - do you know if there's a chart anywhere that relates to the compounds and cars in pCars? Even if it may be obsolete somewhat it may be a bit of use?

DreamsKnight
27-01-2016, 12:44
Is there a charts?
I can also do it if experts write their knowledge

hornet66
27-01-2016, 13:11

Regarding the hud colour guide being not much cop at the moment,if the tyre is red is this worn out or simply overheating? Racing the caterham seven,one of the rear tyres goes red after some hard driving but slowing up doesnt tend to send it back to green again.Should we be checking the temps on the telemetry screen at the moment instead of going by the colours?

DreamsKnight
27-01-2016, 13:13
Regarding the hud colour guide being not much cop at the moment,if the tyre is red is this worn out or simply overheating? Racing the caterham seven,one of the rear tyres goes red after some hard driving but slowing up doesnt tend to send it back to green again.Should we be checking the temps on the telemetry screen at the moment instead of going by the colours?

Colors are broken

hornet66
27-01-2016, 14:37
So the red colour doesnt signify the tyre is overheating or worn out?

DreamsKnight
27-01-2016, 14:42
So the red colour doesnt signify the tyre is overheating or worn out?

yellow overheating, red is hell.

the problem is at 100 for gt3 (it is an example) they must be yellow, but now they are green until 125C. red appears around 140

hkraft300
27-01-2016, 14:44
Carbon brakes on LMP 1/2/900, Formula A/B/C/Renault and GT1 cars work well between ~600-1100c.
I've hit 1200+ before and the engineer had a whinge but the telemetry screen brake colour stayed green.

Steel brakes of the Lotus 78 and 98T, Group C/4/5 and GT3 are strong between ~350-700c.
Group A with steel brakes seem to bite fine at a lower temp range. Not sure though.

LMP GT1 and GT3 tyres seem strong between 90-110c. I'll regularly run them ~105c when I'm pushing or even set them up as such. Wear isn't too bad, and having them slightly warm doesn't hurt so much when track gets cooler.
Formula A tyres are good from 105-115c. If you're not sure, I'd go by the race start temp and try to keep near it.
The 2 compounds of Formula A and B may have different operating range but someone else will have to elaborate.

hornet66
27-01-2016, 15:11
yellow overheating, red is hell.

the problem is at 100 for gt3 (it is an example) they must be yellow, but now they are green until 125C. red appears around 140

Cheers for that.As for being yellow i dont think ive ever seen any of my tyres yellow,only blue,green or red.How strange.

hkraft300
27-01-2016, 15:14
I've seen tyres go from blue to green to a gross brown then red. But never yellow.

DreamsKnight
27-01-2016, 19:16
Carbon brakes on LMP 1/2/900, Formula A/B/C/Renault and GT1 cars work well between ~600-1100c.
I've hit 1200+ before and the engineer had a whinge but the telemetry screen brake colour stayed green.

Steel brakes of the Lotus 78 and 98T, Group C/4/5 and GT3 are strong between ~350-700c.
Group A with steel brakes seem to bite fine at a lower temp range. Not sure though.

LMP GT1 and GT3 tyres seem strong between 90-110c. I'll regularly run them ~105c when I'm pushing or even set them up as such. Wear isn't too bad, and having them slightly warm doesn't hurt so much when track gets cooler.
Formula A tyres are good from 105-115c. If you're not sure, I'd go by the race start temp and try to keep near it.
The 2 compounds of Formula A and B may have different operating range but someone else will have to elaborate.

thanks for this, i'll print it! but i found gt3 very slippery at 105C

Cheers for that.As for being yellow i dont think ive ever seen any of my tyres yellow,only blue,green or red.How strange.

I've seen tyres go from blue to green to a gross brown then red. But never yellow.

sorry i made confusion between game and hud dash that i've been using for months. read yellow as gross brown.

hkraft300
27-01-2016, 22:03
thanks for this, i'll print it! but i found gt3 very slippery at 105C.

That seems to be general consensus, actually.
Maybe correct the LMP and GT tyre temp range to 90-105c instead :)

Note: I haven't yet used a telemetry app to gauge brake wear at different temp ranges. So I'm not sure what effect it may have. I'm yet to do a long enough race in LMP cars to notice a drop in brake performance.