PDA

View Full Version : "Ignition - Start Engine" with a Button Box - help please!

Warren1571
22-01-2016, 03:30
A few months ago I purchased an Ignition Controls Button Box (great piece of kit btw!)

Anyway, I've tried numerous times to set up PCars so I can actually use the ignition & start engine button at the beginning of a race. I've gone through all the config menus to try and get this to work but whenever I take the grid the car is already idling with the engine running.

I've set the Auto Start to OFF in the menu. I have buttons on the button box assigned "I" for ignition and "S" for start.

No matter what I do, the car engine is always running and the nice big shiny START button on my button box is basically useless.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Do the Ignition and Start options actually work in PCars?

I know this makes zero difference to actually racing, I just thought it would be cool to utilise the start engine procedure.

Cheers for any help guys.

sp3ctor
22-01-2016, 15:41
It's not pointless. I have a button box and when I (frequently) spin or hit the wall, the car stalls. I have to restart the engine before I can go. That's how I use it. Yeah, starting with engines off would be cool too but I don't think that's currently an option.

cluck
22-01-2016, 15:44
Yes they do work but it is limited where you can use them. If you do a time trial at, for instance, Azure Coast or Cali Highway, then you need to manually start your engine if 'autostart engine is turned off.

In a race, you can stall your engine so it is necessary to have 'start engine' (rather than ignition) mapped if you have 'auto start engine' turned off in the menu :).

eracerhead
22-01-2016, 15:52
Was just thinking yesterday how much I missed this feature from pre-release. It was really nice in Free Practice to spawn in the pits with engine off: first, glance around the cockpit for a few moments with TrackIR to take in the ambience of whatever vehicle I was in, then flip the ignition, key the starter and it was off to the track. Now it's just select 'Drive' and sit watching the car tool down the pitlane for 20sec...

John Hargreaves
22-01-2016, 18:16
I think if you press the ignition button as soon as you spawn on track, it will switch off the engine, and then you get to start it again during the start sequence. Not ideal, but something close.

Warren1571
22-01-2016, 22:44
Thanks for the info guys. At least I know that I haven't missed something in the menus now. Cheers.

Fre.Mo
23-01-2016, 08:25
Yes but it would be great if we could choose to manualy start the engine on the starting line.

Fre.Mo
23-01-2016, 10:41
I made a similar request few days ago...
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?40878-Please-could-you-add-FOV-assignment-on-console-for-future-patch/page3

BigDad
23-01-2016, 12:25
When you do actually start the car there is no starter motor noise , the car is just on .
It would be nice to have the engine crank over a few times then fire up .
Just a little more immersion .

Tomcul
23-01-2016, 12:31
The cars have usually done a warmup lap before the race tho so you would expect the car to be running when sitting on the start grid.
Wouldn't make sense to do a warmup lap then line up for start and switch the car off only to have to start it up again for the lights..

Fre.Mo
23-01-2016, 13:49
The cars have usually done a warmup lap before the race tho so you would expect the car to be running when sitting on the start grid.
Wouldn't make sense to do a warmup lap then line up for start and switch the car off only to have to start it up again for the lights..

You are absolutely right. So only when exiting pit for a qualif or practice session...

John Hargreaves
23-01-2016, 16:30
Yeah but if you have a big red button to press you want to use it. It's also one of the coolest sounds when you fire up the engine

cluck
23-01-2016, 16:32
Yeah but if you have a big red button to press you want to use it. It's also one of the coolest sounds when you fire up the engineTrue that. I went quite giddy when I sat in a customer's DB9 and he fired up the engine :o. If it weren't so bad for the car, I'd have been happy to sit there doing that for an hour. Such a beautiful noise :). It's a pity the engine start sounds were never implemented but I guess, like many things, there wasn't a way of implementing them properly within the timeframe.

Warren1571
25-01-2016, 01:13
True that. I went quite giddy when I sat in a customer's DB9 and he fired up the engine :o. If it weren't so bad for the car, I'd have been happy to sit there doing that for an hour. Such a beautiful noise :). It's a pity the engine start sounds were never implemented but I guess, like many things, there wasn't a way of implementing them properly within the timeframe.

Yeah, the sound of almost any supercar cranking over is a sensational noise indeed!

I'm not sure if it has previously been suggested but it would be awesome if they could properly implement the engine start sequence and sounds in PCars 2 (or even better still in a patch for PCars 1). I know a lot of people are using Button Boxes now, so it would be a really immersive feature to be added.

I'm going to get on tonight and try and stall a car and at least then I can at least press the big red shiny start button at least once :)

Sum Dixon-Ear
25-01-2016, 02:07
I'm going to get on tonight and try and stall a car and at least then I can at least press the big red shiny start button at least once :)
Just switch the ignition to 'Off' at any time as that kills the engine, then you'll have plenty opportunities to press that red button.

I switch it off quite often if I want to get back to the pits on critically low fuel.