PDA

View Full Version : Audi 90 Quattro

kackle85
22-01-2016, 14:43
I'm having an extremely hard time keeping this thing on the road. I can't keep the back end from stepping out on me. It's not the drifting kind of slide but it seems to randomly snap around on me. What am I doing wrong?

MortICi
22-01-2016, 15:36
I'm having an extremely hard time keeping this thing on the road. I can't keep the back end from stepping out on me. It's not the drifting kind of slide but it seems to randomly snap around on me. What am I doing wrong?

Are tires up to temp? Default Setup or Custom? Aids on or off, if on which ones? Wheel or Pad user?

The car can be quite twitchy and might require some setup changes to fit your style of driving, but you have to be easy on the throttle, as the moment the spool starts to happen there is a sudden jump of torque and power, once you are in the power band and th aero takes over it becomes stable, its the transition that is difficult. You could also be sliding and having trouble keeping it under control if your off the race line or the track has uneven surfaces, once the torque kicks in one wheel puts down a bit more one one wheel torqueing your car.

Start off slow with the car, seriously, go to Silverstone or raupuna, and just cruise in 3rd/4th gear and just nice and easy turning once you start to feel out the car, pick some of the higher speed corners and see how much you can push it. Just try to make clean laps, don't focus on your speed or laptime, just try to get the car around the track at a moderate speed, of course you can punch it on the straights, but brake earlier before the turn and then slowly start braking later and later until you overshoot (hopefully by a little).

Really the only solution besides digging into setups is patience and practice. It took me a while to get comfortable with the car and I stll don't think I am as fast as I can be.

Mahjik
22-01-2016, 15:51
When is the backend coming around? Corner entry? Mid corner? Corner exit?

kackle85
22-01-2016, 15:53
Tires are up to temp with real aids on. The main issue I'm having is if i let off the throttle at high speeds and turn the wheels at all it just snaps around. It also happens if I hit an uneven section of track with the wheel turned.Or if I have to turn right and then immediately turn left it does the same thing. It usually only happens when I'm not on the throttle much or any at all. I've tried to alter the set up some but for the most part it is default. Has happened with a wheel and pad both.

TheReaper GT
22-01-2016, 16:07
Make sure you have the same type of tires in both axles, because the only problem with that car is understeer, it's pretty much on rails..

MortICi
22-01-2016, 17:03
Tires are up to temp with real aids on. The main issue I'm having is if i let off the throttle at high speeds and turn the wheels at all it just snaps around. It also happens if I hit an uneven section of track with the wheel turned.Or if I have to turn right and then immediately turn left it does the same thing. It usually only happens when I'm not on the throttle much or any at all. I've tried to alter the set up some but for the most part it is default. Has happened with a wheel and pad both.

You might have to balance the car, basically you are getting lift off oversteer. Applying mild throttle should balance the car and shift some of the weight to the rear axel balancing the car out, try 25% to 50% throttle. Brake in a straight line as much as possible lift off the brake and apply mild throttle to balance the car on corner entry and, when chaining corners avoid lifting completely just maintain/reduce/increase throttle but you shouldn't need to use the brake unless its tight, the trick is to straighten out apply brake briefly and balance for the next apex.

Sadly only thing that will help is practice, again work on starting at a mild speed, usually what I do is find a gear that I can just cruise the whole course at and then increase speed in corners after each lap just pushing it a bit further.

Spiny Anteater
22-01-2016, 17:49
You could also try reducing the rear rebound which, while not eliminating the back end coming around, would slow the rate at which it comes around on you which would increase your chances of holding it.

Looking at my Audi 90 setup, I moved the brake bias forwards as I found that my biggest issue was under braking rather than off-throttle (so not quite the same issue you have). Can't guarantee it will work, but could be worth a try, particularly if you're struggling into that first corner on the Club circuit like I was.

RacingManiac
22-01-2016, 17:49
More rear diff coast lock, less rear bar, more rear toe-in, more rear downforce, soften rear damper...etc