PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Time Trial more popular?

Ripgroove
22-01-2016, 15:01
Not been on PCars for a few months, had a quick go on Time Trial in a Caterham SP/300.r around Donington National, and after 20 ish laps I'm number 1 on the leaderboard, so I look down the board and there's only 22 other times that have been set?

Same story for the following, these are times I set months ago:

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya GP - Formula Rookie, I'm 6th out of 50
Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya National - Formula Rookie, I'm 24th out of 61

I would have thought that by now all the leaderboards would have been absolutely full of times regardless of how popular any given car/track combo is. Maybe the regular community events are where people spend their time?

beetes_juice
22-01-2016, 15:15
There was a leaderboard wipe a few months back that turned people off.

Track limits needed refinement; were a mess at the start with people trimming corners.

Stand alone mode for TT keeps the count down; I came from FM where leaderboard times can be set in almost all game modes.

Community Event times update the leaderboard.

For myself, I love to TT/leaderboard. Also love to race. The racing in pcars (AI or multiplayer) is leaps and bounds one of the best part of the game. Has kept my time in TT way down compared to other racers.

*Opinion

Boskapongen
22-01-2016, 15:19
For me the biggest reason not doing TT so much is that you canīt filter the different type of cars, If you look at GT, first +-300 spots are made with Mclaren Longtail. No other GT car stand a chance.

Ripgroove
22-01-2016, 15:21
There was a leaderboard wipe a few months back that turned people off.

Track limits needed refinement; were a mess at the start with people trimming corners.

Stand alone mode for TT keeps the count down; I came from FM where leaderboard times can be set in almost all game modes.

Community Event times update the leaderboard.

For myself, I love to TT/leaderboard. Also love to race. The racing in pcars (AI or multiplayer) is leaps and bounds one of the best part of the game. Has kept my time in TT way down compared to other racers.

*Opinion

Yeah that makes sense, I also came from Forza (3 & 4) where it was pretty cool that your TT times were logged in any game mode. And that's a valid point about the AI being good (I've not even tried multiplayer as it's usually not a fun experience on driving games). Personally I usually just do custom race weekends and when I find a car/track combo I like I head over to TT to see how fast I really am, just a shame it's quite baron as there's clearly 1000's of people who will be faster than me (as very rarely even play PCars at all so can't be that good) but I just don't get to race against them.

Ripgroove
22-01-2016, 15:23
For me the biggest reason not doing TT so much is that you canīt filter the different type of cars, If you look at GT, first +-300 spots are made with Mclaren Longtail. No other GT car stand a chance.

I don't get you, whenever I view TT leaderboards I can choose any car/track combo to look at the times for? Like this:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/PeteCup/2016-01-22_00002_zpseolfr0tw.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/PeteCup/media/2016-01-22_00002_zpseolfr0tw.jpg.html)

Pamellaaa
22-01-2016, 15:28

This is key for me, I have also come from Forza (Via GT and AC) and Forza implementation of leaderboards is one of the absolute best aspects of the game in my opinion. Standalone TT still has a place for providing optimum conditions and a clean distraction free track for those truly pushing the limits of what a car and track can do but in favour of fleshing out leaderboards more and engendering a much better sense of accomplishment from reaching the top I would love to see pCARS implement a Forza like system whereby any valid lap that didn't include more than X (0 usually) of draft advantage or contact would wind up on the leaderboard regardless of game mode it was set in.

I would also love to see things like overall leaderboards as well, Forza had a great system whereby there were leaderboards for car/track, car/class(your best from the class), track/overall(combined times from every car in game, any combo without a time set was left as a nominal 10 mins or something), class/overall (combined times from every track in game in a given class) and total TT (every car, every track combined). People going for some of the bigger overall results were big community talking points and it was a really nice extra to have.

graveltrap
22-01-2016, 16:36
The player base seems to be much smaller, especially compared to the big console titles even the community events and SMS-R stuff indicate this as well, in this game I'm fighting for a top 30 position, go to GT6 and it's more like top 250 with a similar difference in lap time from the faster guy to me...

Populating the less popular leaderboards was always going to take a long time!

Using the individual classes (Not the broad all encompassing classes used on console) would be a better way to go, but this usually results in a single car dominating. The console version clearly demonstrates thIs due to the massive performance between gap, the AMG DTM and the Clio Cup are in the same Touring Class on console.

Adding some fixed car challenges works as well, examples picked out of thin air would be GT3 @ Nurburgring Nordschleife, LMP1 @ Le Mans, something that the car and track are associated with, you get the drift :)

I like the pure separate TT mode and it is the best fit for this title where track condition impacts performance, allowing laps from other modes (like Forza) potential unbalances the level playing field.

Boskapongen
22-01-2016, 17:00
I don't get you, whenever I view TT leaderboards I can choose any car/track combo to look at the times for? Like this:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/PeteCup/2016-01-22_00002_zpseolfr0tw.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/PeteCup/media/2016-01-22_00002_zpseolfr0tw.jpg.html)

I am on console(s), no can do.

Boskapongen
22-01-2016, 17:14
This is how it looks like on consoles, every GT-car in one chart, and top 300 long tail.

Ripgroove
22-01-2016, 17:24
This is how it looks like on consoles, every GT-car in one chart, and top 300 long tail.

Oh I see, my bad, I didn't know that. That actually sucks, what's the point in doing it like that?

Boskapongen
22-01-2016, 17:27
Oh I see, my bad, I didn't know that. That actually sucks, what's the point in doing it like that?

None, no point lol. They did add show only friends and thats neat. But i dont see why they could not add filter by car as well. Maybe in pCars2....

Ripgroove
22-01-2016, 17:43
None, no point lol. They did add show only friends and thats neat. But i dont see why they could not add filter by car as well. Maybe in pCars2....

That's annoying man, surely it wouldn't be too hard to implement, I mean, we already have it on the PC version.

beetes_juice
22-01-2016, 17:56
Not ideal but also not up to SMS. Microsoft/Sony have limitations on the amount of leaderboards.

My understanding for the pc side of things is that SMS owns the servers*, and have full control. e.g. Leaderboard per car/track.

*Wouldn't mind a confirmation on this. Either has to be Steam or SMS.

Ripgroove
22-01-2016, 18:05
Ah OK well that would make sense too.

Boskapongen
22-01-2016, 18:11
Not ideal but also not up to SMS. Microsoft/Sony have limitations on the amount of leaderboards.

My understanding for the pc side of things is that SMS owns the servers*, and have full control. e.g. Leaderboard per car/track.

*Wouldn't mind a confirmation on this. Either has to be Steam or SMS.

hmm. all the cars are there, but mixed, so just a filter, does not change the amount of cars or size.

Like this :)

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/

beetes_juice
22-01-2016, 19:03
hmm. all the cars are there, but mixed, so just a filter, does not change the amount of cars or size.

Filter has come to mind also. Seems simple but who knows :confused:

One idea that comes to mind is the good old forza stats site: http://forzastats.com/

Somehow Forza Stats is able to query the leaderboard for the game to display leaderboards onsite and to run their own ranking system. I'm assuming T10 has dedicated servers and allowed this site to select records.

Would love to have one of the app guys reproduce this for pcars; Query all XB1/Sony/PC boards all into a one-stop shop for pcars leaderboard times.

Wonder if anyone looked into how forza stats has access to the board?

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 10:21
There are already some third party leaderboard sites for PC.

DragonSyr
01-02-2016, 11:13
There are already some third party leaderboard sites for PC.

http://pcars.13ms.de/
here for pc

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 12:22
Or here: http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com

PureMalt77
01-02-2016, 12:38
Same from my side, comparing to PC, there is no details.
- no filter per car
- no details (which assists used, default/custom setup)
- ghost only for the top drivers - which mean - only the fastest car in the category

Besides, changes to physics or track adjustments should cause the LB to be reset. Last one was ages ago.

And also does not serve for reference many times. I have the impression it's made for people who want to carve their names in the board (nothing against it though), and the top 100 will be on average for the fastest car in the category.

I remember practicing for an online race of our league, after scrolling down until I find the best time for that particular car, I managed to beat it and thought: OK, that's enough, and in the race the leaders were still 1s faster!

Also times between PC differ a lot to PS4. Don't know on X-Box.

Sloskimo
01-02-2016, 16:31

It does change it, since it lumps all the cars in a particular class together on the consoles, and then only gets a selective dataset of that class (first 20 times or whatever) In that case the database only fetches 20 times. So in order to apply a filter it would have to fetch the entire dataset of all times -however large it is- each time (to get rid of the McLaren F1 times for example) to be able to effectively filter out one single car.

On PC, it can do it just fine since there's no restrictions on the amount of leaderboards and it's per car. So it can happily fetch it at 15-20 records at a time. Something like that anyway.

Innerspace_HQ
03-02-2016, 11:26
I love TT mode. I'd like to be able to view the board in a more appropriate fashion as noted earlier but it's the only game mode that hasn't crashed on me. That gets two big ol' thumbs up from me.

LeonD
13-05-2016, 07:21
Is this website legit ?

http://pcars.13ms.de/#/times/4241994684

Bealdor
13-05-2016, 07:39
Yes.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32319-Alternative-Leaderboard-for-PC-Players

OppaErich
13-05-2016, 09:00
Is there a problem with Nords 24h and the boards ? There were only a few times, all greyed out. My own first time didn't show up. :confused:

lollygag
13-05-2016, 19:43
This is a long standing bug for certain long tracks.. California Hwy also greys out the result 97% of the time.. and then of course you cant use the ghost.

As far as thier being few results on N-24h, its DLC and its only a week or two old.

Houda
18-05-2016, 03:59

Yes, they added Friends, but you need to push down on the right stick (from memory). How do I do this from my TX wheel? I need to have my gamepad available - unless someone can hopefully prove me wrong. :)

Pigmachine
21-05-2016, 23:23
On Brands Hatch, I'm #7 with my EVO IX.. only among 26 persons, and with no assists I'm #3, without the external views #2, and it wasn't a flawless lap at all!
http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1988984740&vehicle=4145350228

inthebagbud
22-05-2016, 06:44
Yes, they added Friends, but you need to push down on the right stick (from memory). How do I do this from my TX wheel? I need to have my gamepad available - unless someone can hopefully prove me wrong. :)

You are right you have to use the controller

Pigmachine
23-05-2016, 01:22
(Dammit! #8 for bragging ;) But it was beaten with ABS assist at least :ghost:
I just wanted to get rid of my time where i had driving line on.)

EDIT-> Damnit! checked the date and it were gamepad+auto clutch that pushed me down!

wwc
02-06-2017, 06:17
Probably the reason time trials arent more popular is because they are broke. They have never worked. I would go with [anything else since about 2013 -- ps3 days] for that.

If your looking looking for a game that will disqualify you because a guy rear-ended you, look no further than project cars.

If you want to count beans and make pitstops every lap or two, look no further than project cars.

Google 'project cars time trials ghost problems' (cant post a link).

They claim to be community driven..but I don't see them on github. I can confirm they charged me $60.00 for the game when it was released.