PDA

View Full Version : Mad Dog's Career

Mad Dog Smith
23-01-2016, 04:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhVwe5I0zmM

Guys, I love the idea of racing. But in fact, I know very little about the technical stuff. I bought project cars because it seemed like the deepest experience I could get.

This thread is dedicated to my journey. After some time I'm sure I can become the best racer I can be.

Could use some pointers, though, if Ya'll don't mind. This is here video is from season one of my career mode. I race karts and I do okay. I won the nationals but didn't win the championship.

I think I'll win the championship if I race karts in season 2.

This video however, is a different animal. It's that historic road vehicle.

I practiced for a half hour, qualified for fifteen, got the 20th and last starting position and when the race started ... everyone pulled away from me. Never caught up with the pack, finished dead last.

I'm having fun. I'm enjoying the struggle. I'm sure I'll get faster.

The actual race starts at the five minute mark. (Didn't know how to edit the video to start it at the begining of the race. But think I know now.) I'd appreciate any feed back. Thanks in advance.

Mad Dog Smith
23-01-2016, 04:25
sorry, I don't know how to embed youtube videos on this sight.

I left a link up there. Is there a different process on here?

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
23-01-2016, 04:44
Embedding them is easy. You just click on this little icon:

And put the URL to your video in there. =)

EDIT: And if we're being technical, the Caterham Seven Classic is not a "historic road vehicle", it's a new one based on the historic Lotus Seven. =)

Mad Dog Smith
23-01-2016, 15:48
Embedding them is easy. You just click on this little icon:

And put the URL to your video in there. =)

EDIT: And if we're being technical, the Caterham Seven Classic is not a "historic road vehicle", it's a new one based on the historic Lotus Seven. =)

Yeah, I don't know the names of any of those cars. haha. Thanks for the info, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhVwe5I0zmM

Ofuscor
23-01-2016, 20:33
It looks like you have a long way to go.

You should not slam the brakes several times before cornering you are upseting the balance of the car. Braking has to be made all at once, the you let go the brakes and once you have gone over the first half of the corner then you accelerate.

Learn the track and look for references around the track for braking points, it can be a sign, maybe a line on the road, it is different with every car. You should aim to be doing the same every lap. Always braking the same amount so you start to lap consistently.

The driving line is a good start to learn a track but is by no means the fastest way around a corner. On that particular car you have to be gentle on the steering too or you will end up spining.

Ezuna
23-01-2016, 20:37
Are you using a keyboard to control the car?

Is that the driving view you are using or is that only for the replay?

Mad Dog Smith
23-01-2016, 23:08
You should not slam the brakes several times before cornering you are upseting the balance of the car. Braking has to be made all at once, the you let go the brakes and once you have gone over the first half of the corner then you accelerate.

Learn the track and look for references around the track for braking points, it can be a sign, maybe a line on the road, it is different with every car. You should aim to be doing the same every lap. Always braking the same amount so you start to lap consistently.

The driving line is a good start to learn a track but is by no means the fastest way around a corner. On that particular car you have to be gentle on the steering too or you will end up spining.

Good to know, man. I will be taking all that advice. I got a qualifying session going on with the same vehicle next.

Are you using a keyboard to control the car?

Is that the driving view you are using or is that only for the replay?

Playstation 4 controller.

That's the driving view.

Umer Ahmad
23-01-2016, 23:21
Check this
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168-Develop-Your-Skills-Safe-is-Fast

Shogun613
24-01-2016, 04:55
In my opinion, the driving line only serves as a distraction, because you tend to keep your eyes short of where they should be, which is as far ahead as possible when not peeking for your braking references.

venquessa
24-01-2016, 07:30
Try the internal view. Suprisingly it's actually quite difficult to drive a car while parasailing behind it.

Try to get smoother with the analogue thumb sticks.

Drop the driving line gimic and learn the tracks.

Practice, practice, practice.

Mad Dog Smith
24-01-2016, 23:32
Check this
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168-Develop-Your-Skills-Safe-is-Fast

Cool, man, thanks. I don't understand a lot of the lingo but I think I get what they mean by breaking late. I'll try to apply it. I got a thirty minute practice session coming up.

then fifteen of qualifying.

Try the internal view. Suprisingly it's actually quite difficult to drive a car while parasailing behind it..

I could mix it up, I suppose.

Try to get smoother with the analogue thumb sticks.

I think I know what you mean here. I'll try to keep the car steady.

Drop the driving line gimic and learn the tracks.

How doesw one go about learning the tracks? I'm all fo rdropping the assisted line. Buyt I can't say I know how to learn a track, so to speak.

Practice, practice, practice.[/QUOTE]

Right, right, right ...

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down ...

Gloomy
24-01-2016, 23:39
I still use the line when learning a new track, I like to race the same track over and over, sometimes I'll stick to the same track for weeks at a time.
Once I get comfortable with where the turns are and have a good memorization of the layout, I drop the line.

venquessa
25-01-2016, 09:26
Learning a track is best done by staying on it as much as possible. So start slow. No AI and just drive around it in a car you know well.

Then start to pick up the pace. It can take an hour to get good enough to race at even moderate AI, but then you can continue to learn where you are fast or slow while racing the AI.

Don't worry initially about outright pace, focus on consistency. Being able to do a 1:15 1 out of 5 laps and spin off the other 4 is a bit rubbish. It would be better to do consistent 1:16's and stay on the track. Once you can repeatedly lap within 1 second laptime for 10 laps, you have a baseline to work with and can experiment with this or that to see if it makes you faster. You can also start to play with setup too. Trying to setup a car to address bad lines or bad driving will just mean the setup will need done again when you learn the track.

Mad Al
25-01-2016, 09:30
Learning a track is best done by staying on it as much as possible. So start slow. No AI and just drive around it in a car you know well.

Then start to pick up the pace. It can take an hour to get good enough to race at even moderate AI, but then you can continue to learn where you are fast or slow while racing the AI.

Don't worry initially about outright pace, focus on consistency. Being able to do a 1:15 1 out of 5 laps and spin off the other 4 is a bit rubbish. It would be better to do consistent 1:16's and stay on the track. Once you can repeatedly lap with 1 second laptime for 10 laps, you have a baseline to work with and can experiment with this or that to see if it makes you faster. You can also start to play with setup too. Trying to setup a car to address bad lines or bad driving will just mean the setup will need done again when you learn the track.

This is also where having a controller setup that allows you to be smooth helps.. the easier it is to apply smooth inputs the less likely it is you will throw yourself off the track

Mad Dog Smith
31-01-2016, 03:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAuFPpgrtt8

The race starts at 2:55

A little update here.

It was hard for me to process all the advise I got in this thread. Though, I appreciated all of it, I'm a rank amateur when it comes to racing games like this.

But I worked at it, I took the advice I understood: Trying to break all at once, accelerate half way through the turn, tried to stay on the track as best I could.

This race here is my best one to date in a real vehicle, by that I mean, not a go-kart.

I qualified first, spent most of the race in third and then I spun out and ended up in 11th our of 25.

The rain might have got me. But I also think my own nerves and lack of concentration may have played a role.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice guys. I appreciate any further feedback I get from this video.

Alexandre Bardet
31-01-2016, 05:05
It seems to me that you started your career prematurely. The default settings for the dualshock 4 are horrible, your experience with this game will only grow frustration. Check this guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=portuguese&id=439605295

I quote it's first line, it might catch your attention, It did for me when I found it at the beginning: "Finding Project CARS default controller settings/configuration so twitchy you can't even straighten yourself on a straight? Or can't seem to make those crucial corrections to hit the line perfectly?"

You have to set the controller to a playable setting, which you can tell when you can drive smoothly, no erratic reactions/movements, although it can't be smooth to the point it reacts too slow to your inputs.

After this you're not even halfway there. I find hard to drive many cars with their default setups, so what you need to do next is spend whatever time you need (days/weeks) learning and eventually understanding how to make setup changes to get the car driving to your liking.
Check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3UdxTNHrws See all his videos.
His guides helped me enormously, I can tell you from what happened to me, after a few days I managed to come up with a setup that made me 7 seconds faster in comparison to the lap times I was doing on the same circuit with the same car before. That laptime got me to the top of the Leaderboards.

But settings and setups isn't all you need, like some have said already, you need hours and hours of practice, and keep it to a small number of cars at first, if you keep changing cars/tracks/conditions all the time you will never have a good idea if you are making progress.

3rd person view of the car is not helping, you just won't be able to "feel" properly how to take the lines on the track and how to control the car. You need to be sensitive about how the car reacts/responds/behaves under given situations, in some cars like the BAK MONO or KTM you can see from cockpit/helmet view how the exposed suspension and also wheels/bodywork are working and if something is about to go wrong or if you want to push the car to a more aggressive line you can "feel" how to do it, how much you can go.

Honestly, delete that career, start a new one, your not playing under good or even fun conditions. I only started a career after 2 months of getting familiar with the game and learning all about the settings and setups, personally it was also because I only wanted to play against AI difficulty at 100%, so I had to make myself ready for it.

Cheers

CoproManiac
31-01-2016, 11:47
When I still played with a controller, I used to push the stick for steering all the way up and rolled it from there, allows you to take corners a lot more fluently. Also, gradually apply pressure to the throttle and brakes, prevents lock-ups and wheelspin.
You should get rid of the line-indicator. It will feel strange in the beginning, but you'll actually learn the tracks instead of following the line.
Easiest way I guess to do this is drive a couple of laps in time trial, start out real slow and learn where the corners are and check for break-points on the side of the track. Set a time and then add a ghost car that's a bit faster than you are. Try to drive his/her pace and then take a new ghost car that's a bit faster again.

But, just play the game. This will all come naturally, it'll just take some time. You'll learn as you play.
Also, check out a lot of instructional videos. I watched a lot of PCars and iRacing on YouTube to check how people were taking corners. iRacing comes in especially handy because it always shows when and how far the driver is pushing the pedals to brake and when he starts applying pressure to the throttle again and how much force he's using. You can learn a lot from this.
In PCars you can also change the HUD to show some telemetry, which also shows how much force you are applying to the pedals. Drive a couple of laps and try to push the limit a bit farther each lap.

Also, good settings are important. There's lots to be found on this forum and on google. Also try to toy with it yourself, get a feeling of which setting changes what and search for something that feels best for yourself.

But most important, just have fun :)

Edit: Also, I'm not 100% sure but it seems you're playing with automatic gearing. You should learn manual gearing, makes you a lot faster. This will also take some time, but once you get the hang of it you'll improve a lot.

Mad Dog Smith
03-02-2016, 01:32
Thanks, guys. Didn't mean to wait to long just been buys.

I won my first race with a non-kart vehicle today, so all the advice is paying off.

I might be slow to react to all this stuff, it's a lot to take in at once.

But I am working on it. I've been spending part of my practice sessions in first person mode. Helmet mode, I believe ....

I think my next big thing will be manual gearing. But I don't know much about it. I don't even know what gears do. I'm a New Yorker, I take the train and bus every where. haha.

To quote Jay from Dogma ... Geeaaaaar!?