PDA

View Full Version : Falcon V8SC sound suggestion

Pages : [1] 2

BanjoMaster
23-01-2016, 23:30
I'd like to make a suggestion wrt to the sound of the upcoming V8SC. Yes, I know we're not technically supposed to have heard it yet, but I'm sure you know it's out there already. Can I suggest that the car could use the GT4 Mustang sample set rather than the one it appears to be employing (it currently sounds more like a flat crank BMW unit than a Falcon). Could this be a relatively quick fix? I'm betting a lot of punters have been waiting for this car over a lot of the others, and the sound is noticeably off the mark at the minute.

mod edit: New sounds have been created, you can hear a sample here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?44341-Falcon-V8SC-sound-suggestion&p=1223818&viewfull=1#post1223818

eracerhead
23-01-2016, 23:40
As has been said before, the car hasn't been formally released but has been hacked into the game. It's quite possible that the sounds have not yet been properly linked up in-game, and the ones in the video are in fact those of some other car.

Neil Bateman
23-01-2016, 23:42
Sorry double post.

Neil Bateman
23-01-2016, 23:44
Got to admit, and i know videos dont give a true reflection of engine sounds, but what i have heard sounds awful and nothing even resembling a v8 supercar.

I suppose it is the 2013 model but v8 supercars in cockpit have always had a very distinctive and very recognisable sound, from cockpit view you would have no idea you were driving a v8 supercar in the PCars version.

I am surprised nobody else has commented on it, but as with other cars in game it the physics that matter most, how likely is it they are not the true game sounds in the videos.

Mahjik
24-01-2016, 00:12
I am surprised nobody else has commented on it

There were several comments already in the DLC thread:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38467-Upcoming-DLC-Tease-from-SMS-and-Speculation-(Spoilers)&p=1216844&viewfull=1#post1216844

I'm going to keep this thread open for now, but let's make sure we keep the comments towards suggestions rather than belittling.

TheReaper GT
24-01-2016, 00:16
In this video the Ford and the volvo sound a little higher revving than the mercedes, holden and nissan...

http://youtu.be/0aQKdLZKmWQ

BanjoMaster
24-01-2016, 00:28
As has been said before, the car hasn't been formally released but has been hacked into the game. It's quite possible that the sounds have not yet been properly linked up in-game, and the ones in the video are in fact those of some other car.

As far as I recall (and I happily stand to be corrected), previously the sound as heard in these hacked vids has been representative of the finished DLC.

Yes, this thread is meant to offer constructive suggestion only.

Pappa_Stig
24-01-2016, 00:33
The Falcon's engine sounds pretty much the same as the Holden's, trust me there's hardly any difference. In person, when V8 Supercars was just Holden vs Ford, there was a distinctive V8 supercar sound. The Nissan Mercedes and Volvos all sound distinctly different, due to differences in the engine layout, from the flat plane crank Volvos, to the quad cam Nissans and Mercs, but the Ford and Holden engines are both pushrod V8s with identical internal dimensions.

Search for the cracked Pcars Falcon video (not allowed to post it here I know), and watch it at the point where it's in cockpit view, and compare it to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7XmMBoK6Q

It sounds nothing like the real Falcon, not even slightly.

kevin kirk
24-01-2016, 01:40
No in car video ever broadcasted on any tv, in any race ever in the history of broadcasting gives a accurate sound of the car. Not saying PCARS is wrong,not saying any other game is right. I'm just saying tv broadcasts onboard cams are filtered for wind noise and allowing panning effects,or allows the onboard volume to drop slightly when other sounds overlap it. Like when the radio talks you can hear the onboard cam sound drop slightly. That's what causes the deadpan or thin mid range sound to every one of them.

Azure Flare
24-01-2016, 03:07
The totally not VF Commodore in Stock Car Extreme has a fairly accurate sound.

The one you hear in the hax0r'd videos is the same as the Ford Mk. IV.

TheReaper GT
24-01-2016, 03:40
The Falcon's engine sounds pretty much the same as the Holden's, trust me there's hardly any difference. In person, when V8 Supercars was just Holden vs Ford, there was a distinctive V8 supercar sound. The Nissan Mercedes and Volvos all sound distinctly different, due to differences in the engine layout, from the flat plane crank Volvos, to the quad cam Nissans and Mercs, but the Ford and Holden engines are both pushrod V8s with identical internal dimensions.

Search for the cracked Pcars Falcon video (not allowed to post it here I know), and watch it at the point where it's in cockpit view, and compare it to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7XmMBoK6Q

It sounds nothing like the real Falcon, not even slightly.

To be very honest, the only thing the leaked video needs to match it, and I am taking the low audio quality of your posted link in considerations, is louder transmission sound and a lower register engine sound in low revs... on top revs it sounds the same.

Cheesenium
24-01-2016, 04:20
There is also YouTube compression and recording software that alters the sound quality.

Considering the game has dozens of disciplines, it is expected that SMS will never be able to nail every car to sound correctly. At the end, it is either you get lots of different and interesting disciplines to play with, at the expense of worse sound for some cars or you get a handful of classes to play with better sounds as the sound designer can focus on each class.

Pcars sounds aren't that bad, however, there are a lot of room for improvements.

mister dog
24-01-2016, 10:15
These excuses always seem to pop up (hardware related), fact of the matter is that the sound isn't very accurate and it would be a downer for many folks that have been waiting for this car if that sample is used.

In general a lot of the engine and transmission sounds in PCARS are in need of some more character and individuality, so here's hoping that will be refined for 2. Great visuals need great sounds to form one immersive package.

BanjoMaster
24-01-2016, 10:56
My point is that, if SMS are going to reuse a soundest from another car in lieu of a proper V8SC sample (I'm not looking to get into the why's and wherefore's of this decision, it's done), then I think there are cars already in the game that, whilst not strictly accurate to the relatively unique noise the Falcon makes, are a lot closer in character to the real car than the soundset they appear to have chosen. My suggestion is using the Mustang.

There are other threads for arguing the merits of the sound engine on here.

Salty Dog
24-01-2016, 12:57
LOL ive got a bad feeling this, if the car sounds like that now, sounds like a chocolate wheel has been spun to pick the sound of this car or a very poor sample has been used, im holding zero hope for the final sound.

To you guys that have access to the sound people PLEASE ask them to change this before it comes out and they could do a lot worse than to run the sound past some Aussies before its released, it might come as a shock but Australians have a pretty good idea how these cars sound after listening to them for a lifetime.

maxter
24-01-2016, 13:09
Slightly OT I know, but is there a chance of the Holden Commodore appearing in PCars?

Azure Flare
25-01-2016, 00:24
Slightly OT I know, but is there a chance of the Holden Commodore appearing in PCars?

*If* this were to happen, I imagine they would just basically reuse the Falcon, just with the Commodore body. That's what iRacing did when they brought the 2013 V8 Supercars in.

Still, I know which one I'll be driving. :p

resmania
26-01-2016, 09:12
I don't know how V8SP should sound (car racing culture is not a big thing in my country unfortunately) but I found it current V8SP sound in pCARS(according to leaked video) quite similar to one from the iRacing.

mister dog
27-01-2016, 16:17
Going of the sample in this trailer i'm afraid we'll have to settle for what we heard in the hacked video :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBndIh_3oS8

kevin kirk
27-01-2016, 17:29
Every car is well done in the game. As far as the sound, Ill just adjust the eq on my tv to what I like. Just like I do for every game and most every cars. They sound one way on my tv, and sound way different on the other tv in the living room. Its a moving target they are trying to hit because every tv sounds different. All the cars are well done. Some more than others. So this car will please me like the other ones do

cmch15
27-01-2016, 19:29
I don't think it will change but I actually think a variation on the 2015 Mustang would be a better sound than the GT4. That sounds more sort of NASCAR like than V8SC IMO. There is a traditional V8 sound in the the sound it has but it seems to be overridden by what I guess is supposed to be exhaust sound.

It looks like it drives pretty well (from what you can tell in a video) and looks good on the track. Latest "tease" with a field of V8's looks awesome. :)

Del Zotto x82x
27-01-2016, 20:03
Ok, I understand what people here in this thread are saying, but come on, it's FREE DLC. Boy, I have been looking forward to this car being released, big time. But we should all just be happy they released it, as that was in doubt for the longest.

Chin
27-01-2016, 20:21
Doesn't the Falcon use a flat-plane crank? If so, it shouldn't sound like a 'traditional' V8. Listen to a GT350...moar racecar. :cool:

I intentionally haven't listened to the YT clip, but do people have the correct expectation? I know some have heard them live, but many haven't. Not all V8s sound the same. Take my RS5, for example...sounds nothing like a 'tradtional' V8 (i.e. muscle car sounds). It has very little of the rumble one would associate with a V8, it just screams like mad when it approaches redline.

hdh
27-01-2016, 20:36
The Falcon uses an ohv pushrod v8. The reason your rs5 doesn't sound like a muscle car v8 is largely because it's a quad cam v8.

Sasquatch
27-01-2016, 20:38
Welp, the DLC trailer gave a good hint because SMS have chose to focus on it. Why in the world does it sound like a small V6 or I4?

If you want a generic sound, SMS, you have a perfectly good Caper Monterrey stockcar sound file(s).

smutpeddler
27-01-2016, 21:29
havnt heard it yet
the only engine sound it should have is the
lotus CanAm it has a 302 winsor V8
as close as you will get as it is just about the same engine

diesel97
28-01-2016, 00:46
Ok, I understand what people here in this thread are saying, but come on, it's FREE DLC. Boy, I have been looking forward to this car being released, big time. But we should all just be happy they released it, as that was in doubt for the longest.

Just because the car is free doesn't mean it should get a pass, and i really dont think the sound file is magically going to change being on my HDD waiting for a key

hkraft300
28-01-2016, 02:09
havnt heard it yet
the only engine sound it should have is the
lotus CanAm it has a 302 winsor V8
as close as you will get as it is just about the same engine

The only engine sound it should have is its own :p

Really guys...?
I understand le passion
But can we not wait to drive and hear it for ourselves? Have a fiddle with the audio settings, crank up the bass etc...
What you hear in TV footage isn't the same as what you would hear trackside. Like listening to iTunes vs being at the orchestra in person.
What you hear in dash cam on TV isn't the same as what a driver would hear. SMS went for realism on that front.
Judging by Ian's posts, they may be adding a touch of Hollywood to the sounds in the sequel. Jazz it up a bit.

I'm just repeating what's already been said a thousand times.

Pappa_Stig
28-01-2016, 02:13
To be very honest, the only thing the leaked video needs to match it, and I am taking the low audio quality of your posted link in considerations, is louder transmission sound and a lower register engine sound in low revs... on top revs it sounds the same.

It sounds nothing like the real thing, but I'm not surprised people here are defending the sound lol.

Pappa_Stig
28-01-2016, 02:17
they could do a lot worse than to run the sound past some Aussies before its released, it might come as a shock but Australians have a pretty good idea how these cars sound after listening to them for a lifetime.

I know right, but lucky we've got a bunch of non aussies in here to set us straight that it does indeed sound pretty close /sarcam

TheReaper GT
28-01-2016, 02:17
It sounds nothing like the real thing, but I'm not surprised people here are defending the sound lol.

I never say it sounds like the real thing...Maybe your hearing is better than your reading...

Pappa_Stig
28-01-2016, 02:20
I never say it sounds like the real thing...Maybe your hearing is better than your reading...

You specifically said it sounds the same at high revs, and it sounds very close at low revs, only needing a tweak to low revs and louder trans whine. That's rubbish, it sounds nothing like it should, especially at high revs lol.

smutpeddler
28-01-2016, 02:21
The only engine sound it should have is its own :p

Really guys...?
I understand le passion
But can we not wait to drive and hear it for ourselves? Have a fiddle with the audio settings, crank up the bass etc...
What you hear in TV footage isn't the same as what you would hear trackside. Like listening to iTunes vs being at the orchestra in person.
What you hear in dash cam on TV isn't the same as what a driver would hear. SMS went for realism on that front.
Judging by Ian's posts, they may be adding a touch of Hollywood to the sounds in the sequel. Jazz it up a bit.

I'm just repeating what's already been said a thousand times.

as i said havent heard it yet
wont go near hacked content
ive been a WMD member since the bathurst track was added
a 4.9 litre windsor is the engine ford used as abase

hkraft300
28-01-2016, 02:23
I'm Aussie
Don't care too much how it sounds. If I was really that anal about it I'd have blown $500 on a good surround headset. But I haven't.
I'm more interested in how it drives round that hill.

Pappa_Stig
28-01-2016, 02:23
As unsurprised as I am that members here don't like hearing something's inaccurate, I've been in a V8 Supercar, for a hotlap, and been to multiple V8SC events. Trust me, that sound is rubbish.

hkraft300
28-01-2016, 02:27
As unsurprised as I am that members here don't like hearing something's inaccurate, I've been in a V8 Supercar, for a hotlap, and been to multiple V8SC events. Trust me, that sound is rubbish.

Well you have an idea how it really sounds at full chat. You're someone who knows what they're talking about in terms of how it really sounds.
Question:
1) does it sound the same in replay race footage on YouTube?
2) have you driven the car yourself in game?
3) do you have the hardware for good quality sound from video/game?

Pappa_Stig
28-01-2016, 02:42
Well you have an idea how it really sounds at full chat. You're someone who knows what they're talking about in terms of how it really sounds.
Question:
1) does it sound the same in replay race footage on YouTube?
2) have you driven the car yourself in game?
3) do you have the hardware for good quality sound from video/game?

1) More or less the same yes, you don't get the ear piercing thunder coming through in the footage, but the compression doesn't magically take away such distinct sounds that are clearly absent from the Pcars footage.
2) You're obviously trolling with that question, but in a couple of days I will have, and I guarantee the sound hasn't changed.
3) I do indeed, I have a 7.2 surround system that I've never been able to turn right up for fear it will break my windows.

I still intend to drive the car, and I'm still looking forward to doing so, but it's just a joke that anyone would try to defend the sound, it's nothing like the real thing.

Edit: With the sound compression in a youtube clip, it just takes away some detail from the sound, it doens't transform it to something completely different from the source. The way people here claim youtube alters the sound so much you would think you could record a Led Zepplin concert, upload it to youtube, and end up with it sounding like One Direction.

Mahjik
28-01-2016, 02:45

Let's tone down the attitude. It's ok to disagree, but do it without the attitude.

Cheesenium
28-01-2016, 02:47

I had heard various race cars from vintage open wheels like 98T, V8SC, supercars, and modern GTs, none of the in game sounds are remotely close to the real thing. Unless SMS finds every car and record it themselves, it is extremely difficult to get sound samples as close to the real thing which is impossible for them to obtain the real sound samples for each and every car. Especially the vintage machines.

The soundscape might quite off from the real thing but at least the sound samples are decent as there are games out there that have extremely terrible sound samples that detracts more from the experience. pCARS sounds arent remotely as bad as Milestone games to begin with but there are a lot of space for improvements.

Pretty much every car sounds quite off in the game, somehow, no one complains about it until V8SC is going to be added. Then, judged the sounds on a terrible leaked gameplay youtube footage that might be recorded with a bad software and bad youtube sound compression.

Yeah, V8SC probably sounds really off, does that mean is the end of the world? Not to mention, the V8SC is a free car, isnt this a little too much looking into the gift horse mouth much? To be honest, I am more concern about the physics than the sounds.

Sasquatch
28-01-2016, 03:12
Pretty much every car sounds quite off in the game, somehow, no one complains about it until V8SC is going to be added.
Because there's a line of "Ok, that's convincing", it's obvious that recording accurate-to-reality sounds is pretty much impossible. I think it's more of because SMS have really decent V8 sounds... like the Caper Monterray or the BMW Z4 GT3... and they chose something that sounds like a four-banger.

Then, judged the sounds on a terrible leaked gameplay youtube footage that might be recorded with a bad software and bad youtube sound compression.
It's not just that, SMS showed it in the DLC trailer, and emphasized the sound at the end.

Yeah, V8SC probably sounds really off, does that mean is the end of the world? Not to mention, the V8SC is a free car, isnt this a little too much looking into the gift horse mouth much? To be honest, I am more concern about the physics than the sounds.
No it doesn't. But because it's free doesn't mean it gets a "free-pass." It's clearly very wrong, and we'll see how SMS handles it. It ruins the immersion to drive it if it's not convincing enough. I mean we can atleast say, "hey, uhhhhhhhhhh, that's not right."

We're exactly not going "boycott pCARS dlc until its fixed! GET THE PITCHFORKS. THIS IS THE ONLY CAR WE WANTED."

Warren1571
28-01-2016, 04:18
I'm yet to hear it, but geez I do hope they get it right!

This is a car a lot of people have been waiting for, myself included and if the sound is no good it will lose a lot of credibility. The sound is what really makes the car come alive and bring the immersion factor as close to reality as possible.

The sound of a V8SC is very distinct and raise the hair on your neck kind of ballsy. Fingers crossed this hits that mark. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

TheReaper GT
28-01-2016, 04:18
You specifically said it sounds the same at high revs, and it sounds very close at low revs, only needing a tweak to low revs and louder trans whine. That's rubbish, it sounds nothing like it should, especially at high revs lol.

Nope, I said the videos, and I was pretty clear that I was comparing only the videos...

Photonmonkey
28-01-2016, 06:42
I thought most cars were actually sampled from the real thing or have I made that up in my own head. Anyway, as other people have said its the handling that is most important so let's hope they got that right, I appreciate having an authentic sound is also preferable but as long as it sounds like an actual V8 I can accept it. I for one am glad I don't play GT anymore........ Pretty nice collection of Vaccum cleaners there ;)

TheReaper GT
28-01-2016, 06:51
I thought most cars were actually sampled from the real thing or have I made that up in my own head. Anyway, as other people have said its the handling that is most important so let's hope they got that right, I appreciate having an authentic sound is also preferable but as long as it sounds like an actual V8 I can accept it. I for one am glad I don't play GT anymore........ Pretty nice collection of Vaccum cleaners there ;)

I've read somewhere else that most games buy car samplers, and mostly from one source, a guy that's specialized in car sounds... Don't know if that's the case here or if the cost is too big...

Dr. Pain
28-01-2016, 07:57
Lets wait till we can drive it first to hear it properly. I live 10 kms from Winton and hear these things all the time. I've even been out to record them testing in 2004. They do sound pretty mean and do have a lot of transmission whine. Also when changing gear they can let out a real thump that you feel in your guts. There are not the loudest cars going around but they they do sound nice.

The Volvo is a flat plane crank, gives it a unique sound.

TheReaper GT
28-01-2016, 10:10
Driving it right now, let's see and hear what the fuzz is all about..

Salty Dog
28-01-2016, 10:22
Driving it right now, let's see and hear what the fuzz is all about..

Whats the lowdown bro, hope its got some balls an Hiss to it.

TheReaper GT
28-01-2016, 10:25
The car is awesome, the sound is the youtube thing, though...

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
28-01-2016, 11:03
I've read somewhere else that most games buy car samplers, and mostly from one source, a guy that's specialized in car sounds... Don't know if that's the case here or if the cost is too big...That guy is most commonly Greg Hill, who worked on pCARS as well.

Salty Dog
28-01-2016, 13:50
Sounds the same as before but the cars a delight to drive imo, well done SMS team, it needs some tweeking in the settings but its got some balls, its got a bit too much roll atm and is a bit loose out back but handles and corners at high speed really well, its nice and agile around the top of the mountain, has some real power, really nice to drive, well done and congrats SMS team, hopefully you can give the sound some more Whine, bottom end and bass, it lacks grunt and depth atm, it almost feels like the sample used was taken away from the actual car, like at a distance because when you stand next to them theres a shit load of bottom end.

All in all the sound comes second to the handling and drive which is a lot of fun and i havnt even tinkered with the settings yet.

Thanks SMS team, and got the DLC too, looks fantastic but havnt used anythin but the falcon yet, cheers

ports
28-01-2016, 14:10
Sounds the same as before but the cars a delight to drive imo, well done SMS team, it needs some tweeking in the settings but its got some balls, its got a bit too much roll atm and is a bit loose out back but handles and corners at high speed really well, its nice and agile around the top of the mountain, has some real power, really nice to drive, well done and congrats SMS team, hopefully you can give the sound some more Whine, bottom end and bass, it lacks grunt and depth atm, it almost feels like the sample used was taken away from the actual car, like at a distance because when you stand next to them theres a shit load of bottom end.

All in all the sound comes second to the handling and drive which is a lot of fun and i havnt even tinkered with the settings yet.

Thanks SMS team, and got the DLC too, looks fantastic but havnt used anythin but the falcon yet, cheers

Nice post and i agree with everything you say the car doesn't sound perfect but it's still a pleasure to drive .

Dr. Pain
29-01-2016, 11:49
It's nice to drive but doesn't sound like a V8 Supercar :(

mister dog
29-01-2016, 18:02
That guy is most commonly Greg Hill, who worked on pCARS as well.

Actually he's strictly doing iracing now it seems:

http://www.iracing.com/the-seasons-end-and-half-life-3-confirmed/

Going forward, we have budgeted significant development dollars to enhancing the “sound” of iRacing. We have actually persuaded Aussie Greg Hill to ditch all of his other contract jobs and to focus solely on iRacing. Some of that work is already making its way into our December build with new debris and updated tire sounds along with updates to a few car sounds. Who would have thought a case of Shiraz and a subscription to “The Modern Drunkard” magazine was all that it took to lure Aussie Greg to the dark side!

I really do hope another V8 sample is patched in for the Falcon with 9.0, as i agree with people saying other cars that are already present ingame are sporting an engine note that comes a lot closer to the sound of a V8 supercar than the sample that was copy/pasted for it now.

cluck
29-01-2016, 19:33
I don't know what it is with the "cut and paste from the Ford Mk IV" comments. I've got moderate hearing loss and even I can hear a big difference between them? I've just recorded both cars back to back, in-car and external, and they are demonstrably different sounding (not simply that the Falcon has louder audio). Yes, the Falcon does sound like it needs a bit more weight to it but it's far from the god-awful audio that some people seem it imply it is.

And no, this is not me trying to defend SMS in any way, I'm just confused by some of the comments I've read over the last few days.

hdh
29-01-2016, 19:42
I don't know what it is with the "cut and paste from the Ford Mk IV" comments. I've got moderate hearing loss and even I can hear a big difference between them? I've just recorded both cars back to back, in-car and external, and they are demonstrably different sounding (not simply that the Falcon has louder audio). Yes, the Falcon does sound like it needs a bit more weight to it but it's far from the god-awful audio that some people seem it imply it is.

And no, this is not me trying to defend SMS in any way, I'm just confused by some of the comments I've read over the last few days.

It seems there is some sort of distortion when you get into the higher revs. The low and mid range have the more distinct burble, but in the higher revs you get this tinny, synthetic high pitch noise that dominates the lower frequency rumble.

Salty Dog
30-01-2016, 00:01
Ian just stated in another thread that the sound guy will be readjusting the sound on the car, so i gather it will be done for the next patch which is great news.

Mahjik
30-01-2016, 01:56
Ian just stated in another thread that the sound guy will be readjusting the sound on the car, so i gather it will be done for the next patch which is great news.

Hold up. Ian said they would be looking into it, that was it.

ChrisK
30-01-2016, 02:23

Because these cars are all about the sound. I've been going to Bathurst for 25 years, have watched countless races live and have been on many v8 supercar drive experiences. It's all about the sound my friend. the roar of the v8's is why the fans go and why they come back. To put it in perspective, it's an even stronger phenomenon amongst than what f1 experieneced when they screwed the sound in f1. Close your eyes and here a v8 coming towards you or listen to it on tv and you KNOW it's a v8 supercar. You don't have to think.

Let's also address the asinine argument of "have you ever been in a v8 supercar cockpit". First of all I have, second of all...who cares ? We're not in the cockpit when we're playing the game. We're watching it on tv. It should absolutely sound like the incar cockpit cams that are abundantly available.

I've never once commented on sound/graphic or any other such thing about ths game. but this sound issue is an issue with this car cos the sound makes the car. When you're in the cockpit of the car you want that sound ringing in your ears so it's unmistakeably a v8 supercar. can't describe it any better than that. Without the sound, may as well just take the car away as far as I'm concerned cos it's irrelevant. And I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Mahjik
30-01-2016, 02:26
ChrisK,

Let it go. Everyone has heard/read your comments. Ian has said they will look into it. Time to move on.

ChrisK
30-01-2016, 02:27

I have no doubt that once it is looked into, it will be fixed.

ChrisK
30-01-2016, 02:28
ChrisK,

Let it go. Everyone has heard/read your comments. Ian has said they will look into it. Time to move on.

Noted and agreed.

MISTER WU
30-01-2016, 02:32
Yeh same chris, i loooove my v8 sc racing (I hate foxtel a they took the rights), i just did a small race and ended up quitting because i just cannot stand the sound of this car.
I will wait for it to be patched and hopefully a we all agree, it does need work.

Like i said, ozzies love their v8's like the Swedish love rally, its ingrained into our DNA.
I go to races because i love the smell the sights and the sound of the v8's, volvo and the nissans and merc's have a different note but man i love the sound of a v8 coming down a straight and flying past.

Funny thing is, if you sit in the pits the sound of the passing cars is actually the way its meant to sound, they got that part right but not the onboard sound.
i was so excited when it downloaded i nearly wet my self only to hear it and i shat my self in disbelief, like a really bad vindaloo, it hurt.

Silraed
30-01-2016, 02:52
We're not in the cockpit when we're playing the game. We're watching it on tv. It should absolutely sound like the incar cockpit cams that are abundantly available.

I just want to comment on this bit. I disagree with you here. If you are using the cockpit cam then it should aim to sound as it would to the ear if you were sitting in the car itself, after all it is meant to be simulating you driving the car.

Salty Dog
30-01-2016, 03:16

Hi mate, post 169 of the same thread he gave a bit of an explanation.

Once the Boss states that an issue needs to be looked into it usually gets fixed if there is a problem, and there clearly is a problem and its no biggie, after ians words im expecting some tinkering with the sound, that will top off a really nice car, im loving driving it.

cheers

Mahjik
30-01-2016, 03:45
He asked a mod to pass it over to Bruno i think his name might have been, you dont think the sound guy is just going to ignore 99% of the people regarding the sound of the car do you?

If the sound team says it is what it is, then that's it. No different then when Ian had the team investigating enhanced triple monitor support. The render team sad it wasn't something that could be safely done for pCARS1. I am just stating Ian said the team would look into it, nothing more. i.e. if nothing changes, Ian didn't lie...

Salty Dog
30-01-2016, 03:48
If the sound team says it is what it is, then that's it. No different then when Ian had the team investigating enhanced triple monitor support. The render team sad it wasn't something that could be safely done for pCARS1. I am just stating Ian said the team would look into it, nothing more. i.e. if nothing changes, Ian didn't lie...

No probs, i actually just edited my post, as i only just saw his post 169 in the same thread, where he states they will be tinkering with it, cheers

Salty Dog
30-01-2016, 03:54

And we are just talking about sound here, its basic to tinker with it, they do it for every car they create, theres no doubt something can be done, its not a fair comparison that can be compared to triple monitors, your not going to tell me that adjusting the sound of the V8SC cant safely be done?

Im not implying anybody is lying or will be lying about anything.

cheers

Panopticism
30-01-2016, 04:10
I just want to comment on this bit. I disagree with you here. If you are using the cockpit cam then it should aim to sound as it would to the ear if you were sitting in the car itself, after all it is meant to be simulating you driving the car.

That's what I'm thinking. As amazing as some race cars sound to a spectator, that noise becomes amazingly unbearable in the cockpit. It is mentally and physically exhausting if you forget your plugs. I kind of wish that all sims would aim to replicate the sound as you hear it through helmet, padding, nomex, and plugs/comms device. Even the radio communications are regulated to a safe and comfortable volume. In open cockpit and motorcycle racing, the wind noise alone is enough to drive you insane and render you hearing impaired before your thirtieth birthday.

SUBGTRACER
30-01-2016, 05:56
Sound of the v8 is awfull ....... I'm off now :mad:

Leper Messiah
30-01-2016, 08:40
Not saying I'm 100% happy with the sounds, and I'm not a sound expert, but comparing a real engine blasting out god knows how many decibels, to a sound system that is in all likely hood pumping out CONSIDERABLY less decibels is surely a tad daft? I'm NOT saying cranking up the volume will magically replicate the real sound 1-1, but it's got to make a difference? Or is that the sort of thing that the sound devs should take into account?

Warren1571
30-01-2016, 11:06
Just drove the ford falcon V8SC and weird, off throttle it sounds pretty good, not far off the real thing, then put your foot down and it does sound very ordinary, nothing like the real thing unfortunately. Great car, drives extremely well but sound leaves a bit to be desired. Glad to hear they may be going to update it in a future patch. Thanks SMS for listening to the community on this one s):eagerness::eagerness:

Stephen Baysted
30-01-2016, 12:20
This is what it sounds like in game now after some tweaks. First cockpit cam, then chase cam, then trackside.

never enough
30-01-2016, 12:27
That's already much improved! Keep tweaking! ;)

mister dog
30-01-2016, 12:42
This is what it sounds like in game now after some tweaks. First cockpit cam, then chase cam, then trackside.

That's already betterhttps://confluence.atlassian.com/s/en_GB/5997/6f42626d00e36f53fe51440403446ca61552e2a2.27/_/images/icons/emoticons/thumbs_up.png
Would it be possible to add a bit more bass and grunt to the engine note still for cockpit cam? It sounds a tiny bit drowned out in comparison to the gearbox whine.

stangnutlx
30-01-2016, 12:46

The actual engine sound needs more bite to it. its not immersive and sound wimpy. The transmission whine sounds good but the engine has zero growl or bite too it.

hdh
30-01-2016, 12:48
Nice! Big improvement already! The synthetic "tinny" sound at the top of the rev range is pretty much gone, now it sounds much more muscular. Getting there! :D

pigsy
30-01-2016, 12:53
That sounds great to me. Just compared it to Mark Winterbottom's Falcon at last years Sydney Grand Finale and it's pretty close to it. Maybe a little more low down rev base on the external camera.

30-01-2016, 12:57
Actually he's strictly doing iracing now it seems:

http://www.iracing.com/the-seasons-end-and-half-life-3-confirmed/

I really do hope another V8 sample is patched in for the Falcon with 9.0, as i agree with people saying other cars that are already present ingame are sporting an engine note that comes a lot closer to the sound of a V8 supercar than the sample that was copy/pasted for it now.Ah, well damnit, I liked having Greg on the development forums, he was a great guy. But we still have our good doctor Baysted, so all is well. =)

RoccoTTS
30-01-2016, 12:59
Indeed, much better !

Silraed
30-01-2016, 13:02
That sounds great, I would be careful of draining out the transmission whine too much in the cockpit audio though. That needs to stay.

KkDrummer
30-01-2016, 13:03
it is sounding hot! Overall, I hear a lot of improvement which is welcome and highly appreciated...some people should just shut it! Honestly if you think the audio just posted is not good enough, go create a game yourself and show us how good YOUR sound will be.....Thanks Stephen!

Stephen Baysted
30-01-2016, 13:05
Thanks chaps. I'll revisit next week. And if Ian agrees we can get the update out in a future patch - whenever the next one is.

Silraed
30-01-2016, 13:06
it is sounding hot! Overall, I hear a lot of improvement which is welcome and highly appreciated...some people should just shut it! Honestly if you think the audio just posted is not good enough, go create a game yourself and show us how good YOUR sound will be.....Thanks Stephen!

Very much this. I wouldn't change it much more if at all.

cmch15
30-01-2016, 13:28
Massive improvement, it has lost that noise that came in at higher revs and overrode the V8 growl. The more prominent "clunk" from the shift-cut is good too.

Thanks Stephen, much appreciated and on a weekend too.

mister dog
30-01-2016, 13:54
...some people should just shut it! Honestly if you think the audio just posted is not good enough, go create a game yourself and show us how good YOUR sound will be.....Thanks Stephen!
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/facepalm2.gif

Sigh...That must be the lamest excuse you can use to counter constructive criticism of flaws in any product. Can't believe that comment actually got likes, pretty sad really...

TheReaper GT
30-01-2016, 13:55
http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/facepalm2.gif

Sigh...That must be the lamest excuse you can use to counter constructive criticism of flaws in any product. Can't believe that comment actually got likes, pretty sad really...

Complaining about everything is sad too bro....

mister dog
30-01-2016, 14:03
Complaining about everything is sad too bro....
Who is 'complaining about everything' exactly? I do hope Stephen posted that WIP mp3 sample with the intention that we'd give some input on it?

TheReaper GT
30-01-2016, 14:05
Who is 'complaining about everything' exactly? I do hope Stephen posted that WIP mp3 sample with the intention that we'd give some input on it?

A lot of people, if the cap fits, well...

mister dog
30-01-2016, 14:16
A lot of people, if the cap fits, well...
You'll hear me complaining if there is something to complain about, you'll also hear me praising whenever something deserves praise.
I don't know if you frequent other sim racing forums, but this one has already gained quite a rep for the amount of dedicated apologists that come up with the most silly excuses whenever someone raises a negative point about this game.

Replies saying 'if you don't like it, why don't you make your own game', aren't really helpful to prove the contrary.

Silraed
30-01-2016, 14:18
Take it to PM's if you need to continue guys, none of us want this thread locked.

hdh
30-01-2016, 14:20
'if you don't like it, why don't you make your own game'

Classic defense rhetorics. It pretty much implies you should feel guilty for having positive expectations and demands for anything. I ignore these by default.

Chris71
30-01-2016, 15:04
Forgive me for being a thick Yorkshireman, but has the engine noise been changed already?? Or is it for a future patch??.. Sounds much much better to me. Had a go with the falcon last night,and although it's massively better to drive than forza6 offering....the rest is why we are posting on this thread..

TheReaper GT
30-01-2016, 15:09
Forgive me for being a thick Yorkshireman, but has the engine noise been changed already?? Or is it for a future patch??.. Sounds much much better to me. Had a go with the falcon last night,and although it's massively better to drive than forza6 offering....the rest is why we are posting on this thread..

It's for a future patch... I guess you are getting used to the current one. :D

I think it's wrong too, but far away from bad... I kind of like it... Kudos to Stephen for the new one, though..

hitmanvega
30-01-2016, 15:13
Big ups to the devs for listening...;)

KkDrummer
30-01-2016, 15:25
want another rhetoric response?: drop the game altogether...go do something else...maybe gardening? yeah...everyone wants the sounds a little higher pitch or more of this and that....I am happy with I've just heard and happy Devs are still around to listen to us....

Liquid7394
30-01-2016, 16:09
want another rhetoric response?: drop the game altogether...go do something else...maybe gardening? yeah...everyone wants the sounds a little higher pitch or more of this and that....I am happy with I've just heard and happy Devs are still around to listen to us....
Why don't you take your own advice and just "shut it". Take your tantrums to a PM if you're that upset.

Roger Prynne
30-01-2016, 16:17
Why don't some of you guys stop bitching and just discus the subject this thread was made for.

BanjoMaster
30-01-2016, 16:25

Much improved!

A lot of developers would have completely ignored these comments, so I'm genuinely impressed and grateful that you've taken a look at the situation. Really can't say any fairer than that :cool: Good work!

bmanic
30-01-2016, 22:51

The point was.. the original sound which is right now in the game is NOT a good representation of the real thing. If nobody had raised the issue Stephen would probably not have bothered taking a look at the problem.

So yeah.. "let's just all shut up and never give any feedback" is not a world I want to live in.

@Stephen Baysted: Sounds a lot better in your example. Much closer to what I'm used to from these machines. The raspy "fizz" and clipping is reduced by quite a bit.

@all: quite a bit of the flabbyness and fizz still comes from most of the audio samples being way too high in volume in pCars, they are internally (soft)clipping in FMOD and thus get a lot more messy than they could be. You can easily remedy this by turning down all the audio sliders by quite a lot, then instead setting your output volume higher from the stereo/soundcard/whatever interface you are using.

MISTER WU
30-01-2016, 23:00
Sounds great mate and that was a quick fix, any chance we could down load the audio file and replace the one in game folder instead of waiting for a patch?
Rename original file and then paste this one in?

MISTER WU
30-01-2016, 23:05
Much improved!

A lot of developers would have completely ignored these comments, so I'm genuinely impressed and grateful that you've taken a look at the situation. Really can't say any fairer than that :cool: Good work!

I know, i cant believe in like hours the new sound is awesome LOL.
For me the sound is turned up way to much on this car and the radbull for some reason, i turn the stereo down but when i race a GT3 i have to turn it up!
Anwyay cant wait for the new sound for this car yayyyyyy

TheJuzzy
31-01-2016, 04:39
Much better , very good .

Salty Dog
31-01-2016, 05:54

Thanks for listening to the feedback and making things happen Stephen, us Aussies really appreciate it mate, sounds better, if theres further tweaking the only thing id mention in simple terms is whine and bass/bottom, more that is, for the record this is the first car sound in PC ive ever had an issue with, probably because its the only sound i know well after a life of watching and listening to V8SC, all the PC cars sound awesome, it must be very hard trying to get every car right and please everybody, it would be pretty much impossible to get it right first time every time id guess, much respect from me for giving this a tweek so quickly, thankyou and keep up the great work, the cars in PC are the best sounding cars ive ever used in a game, cheers

Ryzza5
31-01-2016, 09:07
Agree with everyone else; the revised version is a massive improvement. A little lower down bass could be further added, but I can survive without it.

Shogun613
31-01-2016, 15:26
Agree with everyone else; the revised version is a massive version. A little lower down bass could be further added, but I can survive without it.
Agreed, I'd like a little bit more low end grunt, but then again, as a NY "Yankee", I'm the last one anyone should listen to as far as the V8's are concerned.;)

RomKnight
31-01-2016, 15:40
+1 for the low end but tbh i can leave with the sample we're shown

YourManAdrian
01-02-2016, 04:27
They definitely need to do something about the engine note of the V8SC. It sounds NOTHING like the real world version. The handling leaves a lot to be desired as well, but I guess that's subjective. The car spins the tires for any little reason in first gear.

TheReaper GT
01-02-2016, 04:31
They definitely need to do something about the engine note of the V8SC. It sounds NOTHING like the real world version. The handling leaves a lot to be desired as well, but I guess that's subjective. The car spins the tires for any little reason in first gear.

The sound is being reviewed and there's even a sample of the new sound few pages back...
About the handling, what do you expect from 650hp, no traction control and no limited slip differential? The thing is a beast, old fashion power straight to the wheels... Too me the handling is spot on, and the car is pretty stable and just need a little throttle respect on corner exit.

Silraed
01-02-2016, 05:30
The new tweaked engine note we got a sample of is more than adequate. About the handling of the car, you have to understand they basically designed the cars to be pigs to showcase driver ability and give the fans that old fashioned drivers really driving the cars feel. Though the default setup has a lot of understeer.

Dr. Pain
01-02-2016, 05:39
Here's a Falcon of that year running around Winton. If the sound can get close, it will be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFNccbWkYw

Ryzza5
01-02-2016, 05:57
Not hard to slide these cars with the way the rear axle is setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbbrX2Zbrag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUFQAgEX5Q
Jump to 1:10

TheReaper GT
01-02-2016, 06:01
Here's a Falcon of that year running around Winton. If the sound can get close, it will be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFNccbWkYw

I think it's pretty close now

cmch15
01-02-2016, 09:16

Obviously many of us, if not all only have what we see on TV or whatever, but you get an idea how things drive. Personally I think its great. I was concerned this one would disappoint because I had high expectations. I really hope SMS are able to secure V8's as a series for PC2, although hopefully before the gen2 regs come in (2017) so we still have pure V8 series.

01-02-2016, 12:44
They definitely need to do something about the engine note of the V8SC. It sounds NOTHING like the real world version. The handling leaves a lot to be desired as well, but I guess that's subjective. The car spins the tires for any little reason in first gear.The lack of a differential does dominate the handling of the car, which is to be expected. When both rear tyres are loaded the car resists doing much anything other than going in a straight line, so it can be hard to get it to steer into a corner initially. And then when you have unbalanced load on the tyres (like while cornering hard), if you put the power down you'll be putting most of it to the outside wheel, which wants to torque the car around, so you can easily get the tail loose if you try to accelerate while cornering, particularly at low speeds (low gears multiply the torque coming from the engine and yank it around harder). The setup might benefit quite a bit from tuning to each driver, but the lack of a diff will dominate it. Overall the car likes to be squared off and pointing in the right direction before you plant on the throttle, and if you do you can have tons and tons of traction.

cunningham85
01-02-2016, 20:23
Had a little play with this today online for the first time and had a great race at Brands hatch but struggled with kerbs. Im trying to take the kerbs like a BTCC car so think I need to do some tweaking

RAVEracer
01-02-2016, 21:57
hopefully before the gen2 regs come in (2017) so we still have pure V8 series.

Oh god I hope if we get it, it's before then. I don't want V6 turbo Holdens in the game if we can get the V8 Commodore.

Dr. Pain
02-02-2016, 00:15
More than likely we will see V8 Camaros and Mustangs. But I can see the current Ford and Holden body kits being around for a while, unless it goes pure 2 door bodies.

RAVEracer
02-02-2016, 03:14
I read somewhere that Holden are going V6 turbo in 2017, but not sure how true it is. I'm guessing this is because the next Commodore (Insignia probably) will have V6 turbo. So I don't see that happening until at least 2018 though. As for Ford, well they're out and FG X is fast so that one will be around for a while :) Would be nice to have Camaro and Mustangs though.

STEELJOCKEY
02-02-2016, 03:39
Thanks Stephen, and SMS, for listening and offering up a change.

V8 Supercars are part of a long, proud racing tradition in Australia, and sound is probably more than half the thrill with the cars. So yeah, to Aussies, and those around the world following these beasts of cars, it is important to get it right.

The tweaked version sounds so much better, but my only thoughts are it sounds like the engine is revving a bit too high, more like 8000rpm than 7500rpm they rev to.

Looking forward to the much improved sound in the next patch

BanjoMaster
02-02-2016, 12:10
Just a heads up to SMS (and slightly off topic to this thread), but I would suggest that the Vette C7R sound will also be subject to a similar level of scrutiny, probably more so. It's another car where the noise is a very large part of it's appeal. Give it everything you've got, especially volume!!! :D

diesel97
02-02-2016, 12:18
Just a heads up to SMS (and slightly off topic to this thread), but I would suggest that the Vette C7R sound will also be subject to a similar level of scrutiny, probably more so. It's another car where the noise is a very large part of it's appeal. Give it everything you've got, especially volume!!! :D

The Ford Fusion has to be spot on also because there are hours and hours of raw sound footage out there. The V8 rumble in a stock car is like no other

YourManAdrian
03-02-2016, 23:41
The sound is being reviewed and there's even a sample of the new sound few pages back...
About the handling, what do you expect from 650hp, no traction control and no limited slip differential? The thing is a beast, old fashion power straight to the wheels... Too me the handling is spot on, and the car is pretty stable and just need a little throttle respect on corner exit.

Happy to hear about the sound :) I don't know, it just felt a little too sensitive to me. I could barely touch the throttle without it wanting to spin out. I wouldn't mind if they toned it down just a bit.

TheReaper GT
03-02-2016, 23:42
Happy to hear about the sound :) I don't know, it just felt a little too sensitive to me. I could barely touch the throttle without it wanting to spin out. I wouldn't mind if they toned it down just a bit.

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen :D:cool: are you using a controller or a wheel?

Shogun613
04-02-2016, 00:36

Yeah, you have to play around with the rear slow bump, rear slow rebound, and rear sway bar to get it under control. Its all about controlling the way the weight shifts around in the rear.

3800racingfool
04-02-2016, 03:34

Not sure how accessible small-block chevy motors are across the pond there is definitely a distinct sound to them so I sure hope they can make a suitable replica.

500 lb/ft of torque with a nearly 9:1 ratio in 1st gear on a straight axle will do that to you. Especially on cold tires. Your best bet would be to keep it a gear higher than normal through the slow corners. Your lap times will suffer a little but it'll likely be more stable.

The Ford Fusion has to be spot on also because there are hours and hours of raw sound footage out there. The V8 rumble in a stock car is like no other

From a distance, at idle sure. At full bore it's more like an ear-piercing scream.

YourManAdrian
04-02-2016, 23:14
Yeah, that ain't gonna happen :D:cool: are you using a controller or a wheel?

Yeah, I figured that wouldn't happen :P I'm using a controller, which obviously isn't gonna give me the throttle control that a pedal would :P First car I've had trouble with though. At least of the cars I've used.

YourManAdrian
04-02-2016, 23:14
Yeah, you have to play around with the rear slow bump, rear slow rebound, and rear sway bar to get it under control. Its all about controlling the way the weight shifts around in the rear.

Guess I'll just have to mess around with the setup :)

TheReaper GT
05-02-2016, 01:17
Yeah, I figured that wouldn't happen :P I'm using a controller, which obviously isn't gonna give me the throttle control that a pedal would :P First car I've had trouble with though. At least of the cars I've used.

It actually can get a pretty good throttle control. I'll PM you my configs see if they help

TheReaper GT
05-02-2016, 01:35
Thanks chaps. I'll revisit next week. And if Ian agrees we can get the update out in a future patch - whenever the next one is.

Stephen, may I suggest to you to put the current falcon sound in good use replacing the Megane Trophy V6 sound? It was one of the most desired car for me, but I can't use it with the current sound, just causes me a huge headache and a lot of people agree that's not even close to the real car.. Thank you very much

Salty Dog
05-02-2016, 04:59
Theres only one place at Bathurst i can have some wheel spin with this V8SC, thats coming around up the cutting, if i take the wrong line and accelerate too late coming out i can spin the back wheels, but i think thats my issue, not the cars, and theres plenty of cars that struggle there with the wrong line and speed.
The car feels great, other than the cutting ive not had an issue with wheel spin, ive no problem turning this car at speed, actually feels agile for a big car to me, with the new sound its going to be great.
Well done Stephen and team.

ChrisK
05-02-2016, 05:17
Wow, I have loads of wheel spin if I'm on the throttle. Everywhere from up thru the cutting, Reid to the esses, into the dipper etc. Too much throttle and round she goes. What times you getting there ?

Azure Flare
05-02-2016, 06:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOl0b8K6FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVatTkNOYyA

There would be lot's of dissapointed people if it doesn't sound at least close to the real thing.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 06:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOl0b8K6FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVatTkNOYyA

There would be lot's of dissapointed people if it doesn't sound at least close to the real thing.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, none of the above videos sound like 'the real thing'. They sound like an iphone and a Go Pro picking up 'the real thing' through cheap audio mic's.

Azure Flare
05-02-2016, 06:50
Just to throw a spanner in the works, none of the above videos sound like 'the real thing'. They sound like an iphone and a Go Pro picking up 'the real thing' through cheap audio mic's.

There are many more examples, but I've heard enough to generalize how the car should sound.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 06:58
There are many more examples, but I've heard enough to generalize how the car should sound.

You haven't heard enough to generalise if you haven't sat in the cockpit or trackside as they roar past.

Audio picked up by a mic' worth 3 dollars max isn't capturing anything like the dynamic range and nuance of the real sound.

Cheesenium
05-02-2016, 07:09

Most of the time, the sounds you hear on youtube or TV are quite different from what you will hear in real life due to different quality of recording equipment, compression issues and so on. I wont bet on what I saw on youtube or TV to be as real as what I will hear in real life, unless it is recorded with proper equipment.

I had been to real race events that features a wide range of vehicles from vintage open wheels to modern GT, the track side sounds is absolutely different from what I hear from a video. Even in games with the same vehicle I heard in real life and in a game, most games is still quite far off from how the real thing should sound. Sounds like hood cam or cockpit cam, I think it would be even different as most drivers do wear some sort of hearing protection so everything would sound really muffled which I bet people will not play with the car sounding like that.

The best way to obtain authentic sound samples is still the sound designers record the real sound with proper equipment like what R3E did with their DTM15 or TT Cup but then, you get people complaining that DTM15 sounds worse than the synthesized sounds of DTM14 and DTM13. People actually preferred the synthesized, more bass heavy sound in DTM14 and DTM13 over the real recorded sounds of the DTM15.

I think pcars 2 should have similar audio processing options like Battlefield where one could choose a few different presets that is up to their preferences. I love the Wartape sound processing in BC2, despite it's bass is cranked up to the 15 and it is fake compared to the real gun sounds, it just feel so badass playing with Wartape setting.

Azure Flare
05-02-2016, 07:11
You haven't heard enough to generalise if you haven't sat in the cockpit or trackside as they roar past.

Audio picked up by a mic' worth 3 dollars max isn't capturing anything like the dynamic range and nuance of the real sound.

True, I have never had the chance to hear in person from inside or outside. Maybe "generalize" was the wrong word to use, but to reiterate my point, I've heard a lot of onboard and fly-bys. While not every recording is going to be exactly the same, hearing them does give a general idea of what it would sound like in-person.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 07:22
True, I have never had the chance to hear in person from inside or outside. Maybe "generalize" was the wrong word to use, but to reiterate my point, I've heard a lot of onboard and fly-bys. While not every recording is going to be exactly the same, hearing them does give a general idea of what it would sound like in-person.

It really doesn't honestly. Being there, you can feel the sound in a physical sense. It beats off of your chest, it's visceral and a little bit scary and nothing like a Go Pro or iphone pickup posted on youtube.

miagi
05-02-2016, 07:22

Last year when we started up our Formula Student car for the first time, I thought it sounds really nice and recorded it with my smartphone (Sony Z1 Compact). Came home, played it on my 2.1 System, it didn't sound the same or good any more :(

In the end it goes down to the question, can speakers perfectly recreate engine noise? Engine noise is higher pressure gas that is getting released a few times per second. Engine noise can sound good on speakers but is it 100% accurate? Hmm idk, if not, maybe it is more about if it sounds good then 100% accurate?

Oh and the Engine sound at WEC Nürburgring, wow that was something, I'd never thought a GT car would be as loud as those 458 Italia GTEs. That was eye and ear opening.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 07:29
Last year when we started up our Formula Student car for the first time, I thought it sounds really nice and recorded it with my smartphone (Sony Z1 Compact). Came home, played it on my 2.1 System, it didn't sound the same or good any more :(

In the end it goes down to the question, can speakers perfectly recreate engine noise? Engine noise is higher pressure gas that is getting released a few times per second. Engine noise can sound good on speakers but is it 100% accurate? Hmm idk, if not, maybe it is more about if it sounds good then 100% accurate?

Oh and the Engine sound at WEC Nürburgring, wow that was something, I'd never thought a GT car would be as loud as those 458 Italia GTEs. That was eye and ear opening.

Great question miagi and I think the answer is no, they can't. The best we can get is an approximation. For artistic reasons some prefer to go the 'clean sound' route, where you retain the nuance of the samples, no clipping etc, but you lose the 'simulation' of that visceral physical hit. Some prefer to try to simulate that physicality by distorting and clipping the samples to bring them closer to what people hear on youtube etc.

cluck
05-02-2016, 07:37

Oh and the Engine sound at WEC Nürburgring, wow that was something, I'd never thought a GT car would be as loud as those 458 Italia GTEs. That was eye and ear opening.Those Ferraris were ear and brain-splitting :eek:.

Des Harberger
05-02-2016, 07:47
Ian, The car sounds like shit........ What are you not understanding. Nearly all the other cars are spot on, but the Ford V8 supercar, its disgusting.

The broadcast team wouldn't be using $3 mic.

https://youtu.be/SJ7XmMBoK6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPy_GryNus

Beethoven heard it, he said it sounded like shit.

Van Gough heard it, he cut his off it sounded so bad.

3m Ear plugs are anticipating higher sales after the V8 supercar DLC released.

TheDoctor46
05-02-2016, 07:50
Can't believe you beeing a WMD Member...

miagi
05-02-2016, 07:52
Some prefer to try to simulate that physicality by distorting and clipping the samples to bring them closer to what people hear on youtube etc.
Yea, hearing esp. in car audio, I think the microphone often picks up vibrations to some degree, as many things are vibrating in a race car. And then it will rather sound distorting just because of that.

I would guess doing that distorting trick for one car, the game might run out of ideas quickly when it comes to creating the sound of a whole field of "loud cars" starting off the grid, and that will then just sound weird. And then you have the ppl that heard the cars in real life saying "That doesn't sound like the real thing". And they are right.
It's a bit of a lose lose situation, you will always have someone complaining about it anyway. But it's not possible to race without engine sound either, something is missing and I have no clue where to shift :P

Those Ferraris were ear and brain-splitting :eek:.
I'm pretty sure that was easily above 100 dB(A) from over 100 meters away :D

Bealdor
05-02-2016, 07:55
snip

Please drop that disrespectful tone mate.
I recommend you to search for some dev posts in this thread. They're already working on improving the V8SC sound.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:05
Ian, The car sounds like shit........ What are you not understanding. Nearly all the other car are spot on, but the Ford V8 supercar, its disgusting.

Beethoven heard it, he said sounded like shit.

I've taken the time to interact with the members, and you've taken the decision to be an arsehole. I do wonder.

Your point doesn't even have the benefit of any merit. I've already acknowledged that we will change the V8 audio and passed it to the team. The team responded at the weekend and it's improved.

This wasn't even what I was conversing about.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:07
Ian, The car sounds like shit........ What are you not understanding. Nearly all the other cars are spot on, but the Ford V8 supercar, its disgusting.

You know what mods, just remove this guy. I can't even start to see a defence for his behaviour.

Des Harberger
05-02-2016, 08:08
Why, the V8 has a disrespectful tone.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:08
Why, the V8 has a disrespectful tone.

Bye.

Des Harberger
05-02-2016, 08:10
The Last 3 comments were me joking around. Am I wrong about the sound Ian.

lancashirelad
05-02-2016, 08:11
I think the car sounds in project cars are some of the best I've heard in any racing game. I would however love to have something like this on another gt40.
https://youtu.be/Hcq-MV9yX_8

Mav2537
05-02-2016, 08:12
Sorry I do not see why you are removing this Des guy, it was posted with a sense of humour!, if you remove him for that then that is a joke in itself!! Yeah I agree the sound is getting fixed, but removing someone for taking the piss then well thats a bit harsh!!

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:14
Sorry I do not see why you are removing this Des guy, it was posted with a sense of humour!, if you remove him for that then that is a joke in itself!! Yeah I agree the sound is getting fixed, but removing someone for taking the piss then well thats a bit harsh!!

I disagree.

'Ian, The car sounds like shit........ What are you not understanding. Nearly all the other car are spot on, but the Ford V8 supercar, its disgusting.'

We're not here to listen to random crap like this. It's not even what we were discussing.

gmspromo
05-02-2016, 08:15
There were and are better ways of making suggestions or comments to the team ... if I can say something on the matter, I do think some of the tone of (all) the cars in the game are somewhat lost when you are driving using the cockpit or helmet cameras especially. I personally didn't & don't have any real issue with the sounds of the cars, but it has to be said, if you switch to the third person view of any car (which I had never done prior to this whole kerfuffle), the sound is so much better and they all sound like real beasts!!!!

Mav2537
05-02-2016, 08:15
I personally know the bloke he def was just having a laugh, yeah like me he agrees the sounds are not great but are getting fixed but banning him for having a joke is a bit harsh, as I have seen you have a joke on many occasions in the past with forum members, Also getting "tone" from a post is impossible as it is only "text" so dont judge a book by its cover

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:16
I personally know the bloke he def was just having a laugh, yeah like me he agrees the sounds are not great but are getting fixed but banning him for having a joke is a bit harsh, as I have seen you have a joke on many occasions in the past with forum members

Abuse isn't a joke.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:18
There were and are better ways of making suggestions or comments to the team ... if I can say something on the matter, I do think some of the tone of (all) the cars in the game are somewhat lost when you are driving using the cockpit or helmet cameras especially. I personally didn't & don't have any real issue with the sounds of the cars, but it has to be said, if you switch to the third person view of any car (which I had never done prior to this whole kerfuffle), the sound is so much better and they all sound like real beasts!!!!

I agree on this.

One of my directives to the audio team is to bring more of that sound into the cockpits in future work.

Silraed
05-02-2016, 08:20
I personally know the bloke he def was just having a laugh, yeah like me he agrees the sounds are not great but are getting fixed but banning him for having a joke is a bit harsh, as I have seen you have a joke on many occasions in the past with forum members, Also getting "tone" from a post is impossible as it is only "text" so dont judge a book by its cover

I don't know the guy and his comments could be interpreted in no other way than disrespectful and rude. Sometimes humour, especially incredibly crude humour in this case, does not translate through text and you can't complain when it is taken the wrong way. Consider the kinds of people SMS have had to put up with over the months since the game launched. It wasn't funny.

One of my directives to the audio team is to bring more of that sound into the cockpits in future work.

This may or may not be doable or viable, but might I also suggest the option to keep the muffled sounds of the helmet cam overlay even when having the overlay disabled? I find the helmet audio extremely immersive but the reduced visibility of the helmet overlay outweighs the benefit of the audio to me.

Sankyo
05-02-2016, 08:22
I don't know the guy and his comments could be interpreted in no other way than disrespectful and rude. Sometimes humour, especially incredibly crude humour in this case, does not translate through text and you can't complain when it is taken the wrong way. Consider the kinds of people SMS have had to put up with over the months since the game launched. It wasn't funny.
Exactly. And that's why smileys were invented. (Which cannot undo truly disrespectful comments, but they can make it clear that what was posted was a joke.)

gemonic
05-02-2016, 08:23
That is some of the funniest shit ive read all day.... gold

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:26
Exactly. And that's why smileys were invented. (Which cannot undo truly disrespectful comments, but they can make it clear that what was posted was a joke.)

The fact is that he bounced on an opportunity to 'give me some', but he accused me of something I wasn't stating. Nothing in the conversation was about the V8 Supercar (and that was already acknowledged as being not good enough).

The moral of the story, if you want to give someone a bit of abuse, at least make it accurate and on topic.

Mav2537
05-02-2016, 08:28
I didn't really see any real abuse on there that a grown adult could take, I have been a member since the start and race/Help administar a large league in Australia, Des is one of the head admins of this league that races Project Cars predominitly on a daily basis, He backs the game and gives it praise constantly but see's its issues, but to permantely ban the bloke who helps try promote and advertise the game in AUS and have a joke about his game. Des is an illitarate and straight forward bloke and has a very dry sense of humour, please allow the bloke at least a chance of reply.

Also he may have not read the previous posts considering the thread is called "Falcon-V8SC-sound-suggestion" he may have assume it was in regards to that.

Yorkie065
05-02-2016, 08:29
It really doesn't honestly. Being there, you can feel the sound in a physical sense. It beats off of your chest, it's visceral and a little bit scary and nothing like a Go Pro or iphone pickup posted on youtube.

This!! So much of this! I've been lucky to go to a number of different motorsport events (F1, Moto GP, WEC, GT3) and one thing that just does not come across on a phone, youtube, on tv is the scale of the sound in both volume and physical feel. For a great example was when I was working at Silverstone for 2010 British GP in a VIP suite between Copse and Maggots on the inside of the circuit. The was a 5 min period in FP3 when Vettel went out in his Red Bull and he was the only car on the circuit and stood inside the marquee, you could hear him all the way around Silverstone, every gear shift up as he was accelerating and every shift down when he was on the brakes. The following year I was track side when they had the exhausts blowing down into the floor and diffuser, but what got to me that time was you could feel the gear shifts through the ground if you were close enough to the track! The raw power is not conveyed in any way close to how it is real life when watching trackside compared to youtube videos or on TV, and the volume....yeah it's totally different basically.

As for in car sounds, I'm going to be talking about that pretty soon in a video, among other things ;)

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:30
I didn't really see any real abuse on there that a grown adult could take, I have been a member since the start and race/Help administar a large league in Australia, Des is one of the head admins of this league that races Project Cars predominitly on a daily basis, He backs the game and gives it praise constantly but see's its issues, but to permantely ban the bloke who helps try promote and advertise the game in AUS and have a joke about his game. Des is an illitarate and straight forward bloke and has a very dry sense of humour, please allow the bloke at least a chance of reply.

No. He wasn't banned for any of that positive stuff. He was banned for wrongful accusations, cursing to himself when it didn't apply and being extremely disrespectful. I don't care if he's the second coming.

I was chatting about sound in general with a punter. Corvette sounds as it happens. Nothing to do with the V8 Supercar...

Now for you, this is your third defence of indefensible behaviour. You'll be next if you continue.

gemonic
05-02-2016, 08:32
this is funny... who needs to go to the movies......

almost like watching the angry principal yelling at the children

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:35

almost like watching the angry principal yelling at the children

Almost correct, I'm not angry though.

gemonic
05-02-2016, 08:39
no, but you are being childish wouldnt you say? Banning a member, was he a regular offender? or first offence.... then telling another member he is on his second warning for trying to have a discussion about the situation.

to be honest i couldnt care either way.... but its funny as hell

cluck
05-02-2016, 08:39

almost like watching the angry principal yelling at the childrenIt's quite sad actually*, not funny.

As Remco already pointed out, smilies are there to be used precisely because nobody across the internet knows the tone or intent you have in your head when you post something. Even though I am well know for "being a bit of a silly a***" on here, I wouldn't dare write some of the stuff posted in the last 30 minutes in this thread. At the very least, if I did, I would add a hundred smilies or some small text saying "this is an attempt at humour, nothing less". Just posting "this is {expletive deleted}" is going to provoke a reaction you don't want "if" you are indeed just 'having a laugh'.

* sad, as in, I can't believe somebody would walk into a room and announce to the boss of a company "your product is s***" and not expect the boss of said company to turn around and say "you're fired".

EDIT : It is worth remembering that despite us all being paying customers, we are all guests on this forum. It is not "our" forum, it belongs to SMS.

Silraed
05-02-2016, 08:42
no, but you are being childish wouldnt you say? Banning a member, was he a regular offender? or first offence.... then telling another member he is on his second warning for trying to have a discussion about the situation.

It is pretty common for users to get banned straight up for straight up insulting developers or even mods on all sorts of game forums. I don't understand why people around here see it as some extreme over reaction.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:45

I'm being childish? No. The team don't need to be hearing unassociated random abuse. I don't see it as being a maturity issue.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:48
It's quite sad actually*, not funny.

As Remco already pointed out, smilies are there to be used precisely because nobody across the internet knows the tone or intent you have in your head when you post something. Even though I am well know for "being a bit of a silly a***" on here, I wouldn't dare write some of the stuff posted in the last 30 minutes in this thread. At the very least, if I did, I would add a hundred smilies or some small text saying "this is an attempt at humour, nothing less". Just posting "this is {expletive deleted}" is going to provoke a reaction you don't want "if" you are indeed just 'having a laugh'.

* sad, as in, I can't believe somebody would walk into a room and announce to the boss of a company "your product is s***" and not expect the boss of said company to turn around and say "you're fired".

EDIT : It is worth remembering that despite us all being paying customers, we are all guests on this forum. It is not "our" forum, it belongs to SMS.

Yes, but again, it wasn't that he said our sounds were shit or disgusting, it's that he was having his own conversation, unrelated to the conversation I was having, and choosing to jump on my posts in a manner that didn't fit.

wesker6664
05-02-2016, 08:51
I fail to see the fun when a very interesting and insightful discussion with a head of studio is being ruined by direspectful and clueless people.

Ian Bell
05-02-2016, 08:52
I fail to see the fun when a very interesting and insightful discussion with a head of studio is being ruined by direspectful and clueless people.

My thoughts entirely.

Cheesenium
05-02-2016, 08:54
It is pretty common for users to get banned straight up for straight up insulting developers or even mods on all sorts of game forums. I don't understand why people around here see it as some extreme over reaction.

I seen developers banning rude people on their forums more than I want to admit as some people are extremely rude which they deserve it.

It is their turf, you have to play by their rules as you dont go into someone's home and insult them. Also, please be respectful towards other people on the forums.

Tomcul
05-02-2016, 09:00
Seeing as this thread is about the v8sc I'm going to ask, will we get a static wheel with the next patch?

miagi
05-02-2016, 09:03
Comparing three electric Formula Student cars on track to 3 combustion cars driving around. I realized how much emotion engine sound puts into Motorsport. Before I always thought that talk about electric race cars being lame is just backwoods mans opinion, but I changed my mind.
And the other way around ppl get very emotional about sound. We just had a negative example how that also can end up. Also for me and many other it is difficult to speak about sound in general. I know what I hear, but I don't have the vocabulary to give proper feedback. Like when I see it, I can much better describe it than when/what I hear.
...So what I basically wanted to say, engine sound is awesome :>

TheReaper GT
05-02-2016, 09:15
Two words define the whole sound thing: Sound Pressure

Sankyo
05-02-2016, 09:22
Two words define the whole sound thing: Sound Pressure
That's an odd term. Because sound is air pressure changes. So sound 'sound pressure' = air pressure changes pressure. Hm.

:p

cluck
05-02-2016, 09:30
That's an odd term. Because sound is air pressure changes. So sound 'sound pressure' = air pressure changes pressure. Hm.

:pBit like DAT tape then :D

TheReaper GT
05-02-2016, 09:32

:p

Yep, still accurate, though... :D:D

05-02-2016, 09:57
In the end it goes down to the question, can speakers perfectly recreate engine noise?

Great question miagi and I think the answer is no, they can't.Hmmm. On a purely theoretical point, I think that they probably can, or at least supremely close, but it'd require everyone to have the equivalent of the audio gear of a large outdoor stadium rock concert somehow fit inside their living room. I'm not sure if there's anything in the sound the cars make that'd be the outside the capabilities of modern speaker technology (you can definitely get the volume, the frequency range and the sheer chest pounding force done with enough power and selecting the correct amounts and types of speakers).

But that's a purely hypothetical situation where we design a massive massive sound system for the use of a single person. And even then it'd be a real challenge to record the sounds so that the recording would sound like the real car, getting a microphone to act like the human ear and the recording gear to mimic the audio manipulation that goes on inside our heads is insanely difficult even today.

All of that's beside the point really, since the real question was whether or not anyone's home speakers can do it, and that I don't think is possible, with any reasonable gear. =)

Salty Dog
05-02-2016, 10:28

Hi mate, within a few days of SMS putting the V8SC out, after hearing the negative feedback on the sound Ian said straight up that it was a bit of a rush out after christmas and owned straight up to the sound not being great, then he gave instructions in a post to have the sound guy look into it and give it a tweek, which was done that night and now we have a much better sound.

Next patch we will have a better sound, i understand you being an Aussie your passionate about this one, all us guys are but you might have jumped the gun here, cheers

Stephen Baysted
05-02-2016, 10:59
Ian and Jussi and others are absolutely correct. Unless you have *actually* experienced a racing car in real life in very close proximity at a circuit or on a dyno, and even better from the cockpit (as Ian has on many occasions) then you simply have no idea whatever about how it is *supposed* to sound or indeed *what* it really sounds like. Period.

If you have never been to a race and you still feel qualified to comment about the assumed realism of car sounds in a game, I am sorry but you are not. Get to a real race, hear these cars in real life, and you will realise very quickly that dodgy you tube captures from iPhones or Go Pro cameras played back in bedrooms on cheap computer speakers bear very little resemblance to the real thing. And that is of course even before we get started on subjectivity, psychoacoustics and other stuff.

Here is a video taken 6 years or so ago from good friends of ours. Now think about the quality of the Sony video cam which can't take the Sound Pressure Levels, and more importantly what happens when you hear the capture from the roll cage. And then consider where many of the go pro cameras are strapped to in on-board videos and how different the sound is from various positions ...
https://youtu.be/6A9olcof-qg

Raven403
05-02-2016, 11:21
Ian and Jussi and others are absolutely correct. Unless you have *actually* experienced a racing car in real life in very close proximity at a circuit or on a dyno, and even better from the cockpit (as Ian has on many occasions) then you simply have no idea whatever about how it is *supposed* to sound or indeed *what* it really sounds like. Period.

If you have never been to a race and you still feel qualified to comment about the assumed realism of car sounds in a game, I am sorry but you are not. Get to a real race, hear these cars in real life, and you will realise very quickly that dodgy you tube captures from iPhones or Go Pro cameras played back in bedrooms on cheap computer speakers bear very little resemblance to the real thing. And that is of course even before we get started on subjectivity, psychoacoustics and other stuff.

Here is a video taken 6 years or so ago from good friends of ours. Now think about the quality of the Sony video cam which can't take the Sound Pressure Levels, and more importantly what happens when you hear the capture from the roll cage. And then consider where many of the go pro cameras are strapped to in on-board videos and how different the sound is from various positions ...

I would counter that with the thought then, that Real Life sounds arent what should be simulated but the sounds people do associate with certain cars like this one. If the 'Real Life' sound is 'Unreplicatable" as is being said, why try to simulate something a very small number of people will recognize as the 'Proper' sound? Im not poking anyone im genuinely asking, I understand we want things to be 'Like real life' but to me sometimes (Maybe in this instance) thats not always best. Peoples perception become their reality in a lot of situations, and as you said unless you have been in a V8 supercar you wouldnt know, Nor CAN YOU know from home. Ive been in a few types of Race cars, Stock Cars especially, and I think SMS did a great job on the Sound on the Caper, it sounds genuine. I think the chief complaint on the SC (im assuming) is it doesnt have the Roar and Low end rumble people associate with them in game. My only complaint was it sounded a bit high pitch and over synthesized but I wasnt about to start insulting sound engineers.

Good to see it will be tweaked I liked the new sample quite a bit.

And if the C7R is coming this month, idc whats wrong with the game. :cool:

Mark Silcock
05-02-2016, 11:22

OK so I am probably not educated enough to enter this discussion but yes those different sound recordings all sound different but they also all sound the same. You can tell it's the same car, the personality or tone or characteristics (whatever the right term is) of the sound comes through on all the samples, even the handycam sample and other youtube clips. For me this is what is missing in PCARs, I should be able to close my eyes and guess the car, apart from the Audis I don't think I can do that in PCARs.

I can understand the pursuit of realism in the sounds but I don't think creating a sound that 99% of gamers have ever heard and never will was the right direction to go.

Maybe this is why RRE gets a lot of praise for its sounds, more people can relate to the sounds as it is what they know.

TBH I personally think youtube clips gets a bad wrap, but then I probably can't tell the difference between a £50 & £400 set of headphones!

I have been to GT3, classic and historic touring car races, festival of speed and had the odd track day experiences and yes you can't replicate the feeling of the sounds but the cars sound personality should be replicated IMO.

Raven403
05-02-2016, 11:30
OK so I am probably not educated enough to enter this discussion but yes those different sound recordings all sound different but they also all sound the same. You can tell it's the same car, the personality or tone or characteristics (whatever the right term is) of the sound comes through on all the samples, even the handycam sample and other youtube clips. For me this is what is missing in PCARs, I should be able to close my eyes and guess the car, apart from the Audis I don't think I can do that in PCARs.

I can understand the pursuit of realism in the sounds but I don't think creating a sound that 99% of gamers have never heard and never will was the right direction to go.

Maybe this is why RRE gets a lot of praise for its sounds, more people can relate to the sounds as it is what they know.

TBH I personally think youtube clips gets a bad wrap, but then I probably can't tell the difference between a £50 & £400 set of headphones!

I have been to GT3, classic and historic touring car races, festival of speed and had the odd track day experiences and yes you can't replicate the feeling of the sounds but the cars sound personality should be replicated IMO.

Well said.

Also I think its important to remember its not just the In Car sound people are hearing, with any game (Cept maybe iRacing) there are multiple views, and replays and all these different angles and things people dont normally have access to to hear the sound of a certain car.

Ill use the Ginetta GT3 as an example, because I think thats the best example. After being very annoyed by the sound of that thing (before it was patched) I went to the only place someone in my postion would have to be able to get a reference on what it sounds like in real life. YouTube. After watching a few videos I had a really hard time finding ANY comparison with the sound in Pcars, but alot of the videos did have common tones, and recognizable features to one another. To me this is a similar situation, while the Ginettas sound in Pcars might be what someone sitting in the cockpit heres all the time, it isnt what the vast majority of people think that car sounds like, therefore its unrecognizable to them. Also the Ginettas sound in different views just sounded like the volume changed on the same sound, where as I think it would be hard to argue that the Sound in the chase or rear view would be much different from Cockpit sounds. But after it was patched its great.

BanjoMaster
05-02-2016, 11:33

I'd say the Corvette is less of a noise, more a 'force'... I've never heard the C6 or C7 in person, but the C5Rs at LM were just something else. You could feel the air buffeting on and off your ear drum - you didn't hear the car, you felt it instead. After a few hours I'd be relieved at the sight of one of the Vipers, 'cos they were quite quiet :p

Silraed
05-02-2016, 11:48
I can understand the pursuit of realism in the sounds but I don't think creating a sound that 99% of gamers have ever heard and never will was the right direction to go..

This is where it all comes down to personal opinion/preference. I personally applaud SMS for going against the grain and aiming for a realistic true to ear sound, to me it is more valuable to immersion than what I think I want to hear from a youtube video.
Now I am not saying all cars are perfect or that there isn't room for improvement, there is always room for improvement, but to me they sound guys at SMS made the correct choice. I only wish we could have the muffled helmet sounds in helmet view with the helmet overlay disabled as the loss in visibility from the helmet outweighs the immersive sound to me.

cmch15
05-02-2016, 12:07
If you turn "view helmet" off in the camera settings, does that take the muffled effect away?

Salty Dog
05-02-2016, 12:16
When i play other race games im reminded of how great PC's sounds.

Silraed
05-02-2016, 12:16
If you turn "view helmet" off in the camera settings, does that take the muffled effect away?

Yes it does.

Yorkie065
05-02-2016, 12:24

That is correct, but he was wanting an option to remove the helmet overlay, but keep the muffled sounds. At the moment, they're both tied in together.

BigDad
05-02-2016, 13:00
I dont care about the V8SC sound that much so i haven't looked a this thread since i read it was getting fixed , well wasn't that a mistake , i'll have to pop my head in more often just incase theres another night like tonight .
Pure gold , thanks for the entertainment . Watch out The bold and the beautiful .

ONT
05-02-2016, 15:31
I agree on this.

Can we get an OPTION to run external sound in cockpit mode, the"easy" fix for now :)

And yes I use earplug headset for my real racing.
But would still like the OPTION in a sim.

TheReaper GT
05-02-2016, 15:34
Can we get an OPTION to run external sound in cockpit mode, the"easy" fix for now :)

I'd like that too. :D The Audi R8 LMS external sound is awesome... the internal is kind of anoying

Shogun613
05-02-2016, 15:41
I'd like that too. :D The Audi R8 LMS external sound is awesome... the internal is kind of anoying

Agreed - the R8 in car sound needs some work. The flywheel sound in the E-Tron Quattro could be a tad more audible, too.

diesel97
05-02-2016, 15:42

Some would say that's not REAL :highly_amused:

TheReaper GT
05-02-2016, 15:52
Some would say that's not REAL :highly_amused:

It isn't :D

diesel97
05-02-2016, 16:16
It isn't :D

BTW i would like this option also :smiley_simmons:

mister dog
05-02-2016, 17:13
The 'in real life the sounds aren't anything like you hear on 'crappy' go pro recordings from distorted youtube videos' statement holds some truth, as you won't have the sound waves pumping through your body like you'd be standing next to the track, and the note might be perceived with more bass. But i truly doubt it will drastically change the engine sound and make a V8 sound like a V6 all of a sudden.

If you hear the voice of someone in real life, his voice won't drastically change when you hear the guy talking on a youtube video, it will sound the same although the quality might differ a bit.

So the question i'd like to ask now with regards to the C7, seeing real life recordings are the way to go is; was it recorded in person? :p

Chin
05-02-2016, 17:33
I would counter that with the thought then, that Real Life sounds arent what should be simulated but the sounds people do associate with certain cars like this one. If the 'Real Life' sound is 'Unreplicatable" as is being said, why try to simulate something a very small number of people will recognize as the 'Proper' sound?...

I remember this discussion from back in the development days; a lot of opinions, like seen here. I see the current result ('true to life') as a design decision.

Raven403
05-02-2016, 17:33
The 'in real life the sounds aren't anything like you hear on 'crappy' go pro recordings from distorted youtube videos' statement holds some truth, as you won't have the sound waves pumping through your body like you'd be standing next to the track, and the note might be perceived with more bass. But i truly doubt it will drastically change the engine sound and make a V8 sound like a V6 all of a sudden.

If you hear the voice of someone in real life, his voice won't drastically change when you hear the guy talking on a youtube video, it will sound the same although the quality might differ a bit.

So the question i'd like to ask now with regards to the C7, seeing real life recordings are the way to go is; was it recorded in person? :p

Oh god......I hope the sound is good on that thing. Or Im gonna be.......words fail me....but it wont be good

Mahjik
05-02-2016, 17:46
Not related to the pCARS V8SC, but I've noticed there are essentially three different "sounds" of my track car:

1. What I hear when I'm driving
2. What I hear when I view my GoPro videos back again
3. What I hear when watching other driver's videos that captured sound of my car on the track

None of the three sound the same....

mister dog
05-02-2016, 17:54
Oh god......I hope the sound is good on that thing. Or Im gonna be.......words fail me....but it wont be good

If it's on equal terms with AC's version (which isn't perfect but comes close enough), i'll be satisfied:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFXUu2tPhlk

Raven403
05-02-2016, 18:23
If it's on equal terms with AC's version (which isn't perfect but comes close enough), i'll be satisfied:

Same

Azure Flare
05-02-2016, 18:35
While I think AC's C7.R sounds OK, I use Fonsecker's sound mod.

http://youtu.be/kCqCs7QvZJI

mister dog
05-02-2016, 19:04
While I think AC's C7.R sounds OK, I use Fonsecker's sound mod.

https://media.giphy.com/media/hkMXte9dBJFfO/giphy.gif

Thanks for the tip, i guess i know what i'll be doing tonight.

Hobbs77
05-02-2016, 19:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFXUu2tPhlk[/QUOTE]

Do all game developers think that having the background world bouncing, is real to life? I don't get it!!!!!!??????

Ryzza5
05-02-2016, 20:34
Having moved on from the Falcon, it seems this thread can be summed up by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qcccZy03s

:)

ChrisK
05-02-2016, 21:21
There were originally rumors of the corvette being entered into the Bathurst 12hr. Alas...not to be.
I hope I get to see it racing this year somehow, looks and sounds unbelievable.

Sankyo
05-02-2016, 21:28

Do all game developers think that having the background world bouncing, is real to life? I don't get it!!!!!!??????

It depends on the situation. If you're strapped into a seat so that your body is rolling with the car, then the car should be tied to your vision and the world rolls with respect to you. If you can lean your body and head to compensate for the car roll, you keep your vision aligned with the outside world and the car rolls with respect to you.

mister dog
05-02-2016, 21:33
Having moved on from the Falcon, it seems this thread can be summed up by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qcccZy03s

:)
Please do elaborate. :p

So far i saw nobody arguing that a real life recording with multiple mics isn't superior to the quality of the mics used on your average youtube video. So nobody is actually questioning this reality.

What i do see is that people question that the difference will be night and day, and it alters the engine note to such an extend that they sound like 2 different cars.

Hobbs77
05-02-2016, 22:01
It depends on the situation. If you're strapped into a seat so that your body is rolling with the car, then the car should be tied to your vision and the world rolls with respect to you. If you can lean your body and head to compensate for the car roll, you keep your vision aligned with the outside world and the car rolls with respect to you.[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with the whole background world moving, bouncing all over the place? It's very nauseating, not to mention unrealistic. It is however very acurate if your trying replicate a mounted camera in the car but that's far from how the human eyes and brain perceives and reacts to driving IRL.

TheReaper GT
05-02-2016, 22:06
It depends on the situation. If you're strapped into a seat so that your body is rolling with the car, then the car should be tied to your vision and the world rolls with respect to you. If you can lean your body and head to compensate for the car roll, you keep your vision aligned with the outside world and the car rolls with respect to you.

What does that have to do with the whole background world moving, bouncing all over the place? It's very nauseating, not to mention unrealistic. It is however very acurate if your trying replicate a mounted camera in the car but that's far from how the human eyes and brain perceives and reacts to driving IRL.[/QUOTE]

I think you have a nausea problem. When you drive your head bounces, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it bounces... If you are firmly straped to a racing seat it bounces a lot. The cockpit view is a representation of a human view, therefore the eyes, which are in the head. :D

Sampo
05-02-2016, 22:16
The body, neck and the eyes themselves compensate for bounces pretty well. Just try running and see if you see the world around you bounce. Also, regarding sound, you have to think about your speakers too, not just the microphone that was used to record the sound (or anything that is possibly lost in compression). I hope no one is listening to TV speakers and saying it sounds bad. :)

Salty Dog
05-02-2016, 22:52
Like sands through the hourglass..................so are the days of our lives...

Hobbs77
06-02-2016, 00:26
[QUOTE=I think you have a nausea problem. When you drive your head bounces, sometimes more, sometimes less, but it bounces... If you are firmly straped to a racing seat it bounces a lot. The cockpit view is a representation of a human view, therefore the eyes, which are in the head. :D[/QUOTE]

LOL... What making me nauseous is the background world motion moving all over the place. IRL that's stationary...the road doesn't bounce or move around nor does anything else outside the car. Your eyes absorb a lot of the movement and doesn't bounce around like a fix camera or anything like most of these newer sims.

EmilGlockner
06-02-2016, 00:34

I agree with you. And here's a prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWuioO-ETxQ

Recorded at Spa with my Sony Xperia Z3compact. Needless to say that the sound quality is utter crap. Especially the high pitched downshift shreak of the 458 Italias that makes your ears bleed in real life is completely lost in the video. Same for all the exhaust crackles that give you a nice punch in the gut when you are standing right next to the track.

Did you get a chance hear the Lexus LFA racecar at the Nürburgring, Miagi? That sounds also rather spectacular. I saw it in a VLN 24h race in 2009, IIRC.

Racing games aren't the only genre 'suffering' under the burden of sound difficulties, though. I remember some BF3 developer interviews and bonus material on the DVD 'Heat' where they talked about how to transport the really loud gunfight sounds into the game. You would be surprised how very much louder a gunfight is compared to what you see/hear in games or movies.

miagi
06-02-2016, 01:49
If I look at a point far way and jump around, that doesn't make the point far away move. If I do half a meter of elevation, and focus a point that is 100 meters away, that creates an angle of about 0,3° meaning for us the change isn't noticeable. What the driver gets in a car on bumps is less then half a meter and some of the background objects are more than 100 meters away.

Did you get a chance hear the Lexus LFA racecar at the Nürburgring, Miagi? That sounds also rather spectacular. I saw it in a VLN 24h race in 2009, IIRC
No I havn't :(

BigDad
06-02-2016, 02:29
I think this topic has deviated a little onto world movement. There are settings for this in pCars . What would be the best settings to make these as real to life as possible? World movement and g force.

Cheesenium
06-02-2016, 04:41
I agree with you. And here's a prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWuioO-ETxQ

Recorded at Spa with my Sony Xperia Z3compact. Needless to say that the sound quality is utter crap. Especially the high pitched downshift shreak of the 458 Italias that makes your ears bleed in real life is completely lost in the video. Same for all the exhaust crackles that give you a nice punch in the gut when you are standing right next to the track.

Did you get a chance hear the Lexus LFA racecar at the Nürburgring, Miagi? That sounds also rather spectacular. I saw it in a VLN 24h race in 2009, IIRC.

Racing games aren't the only genre 'suffering' under the burden of sound difficulties, though. I remember some BF3 developer interviews and bonus material on the DVD 'Heat' where they talked about how to transport the really loud gunfight sounds into the game. You would be surprised how very much louder a gunfight is compamred to what you see/hear in games or movies.

I had seen a real 99T where the engine growl sends a chill down your bones whenever it passes by the track side. No game managed to get that right so far but I doubt anyone could do it in a game. Some other cars I had seen driving on a race track like a 12C or Radical, the in game sounds are quite different from the real thing. I am not saying Pcars sounds are bad, the sound samples are good to the point that it adds to the immersion but most cars are probably quite off from the real thing. It will be a logistics nightmare for SMS to record each and every car in the game.

Still, BF3 sounds are pretty damn good though, at least according to the comments of real life soldiers who had been into a real fire fight. Some of the sound assets like the sniper rounds hitting the gravel sounds spot on to real life to the point a poor PTSD sufferer from Iraq war jumped and ducked behind his couch when he first heard it.

TheDoctor46
06-02-2016, 09:35
First time I heard a V8SC was at last years GT Masters at Sachsenring where they had a few V8s who had done some kind of showcasing the league. Sound was bonkers and damn thrilling. Never heard such a brutal sound before in my live :eek: Goosebumps on every downshift :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TEcpBxIwmA

It was the Mercedes Benz E63 AMG btw, last car in this clip was obviously the Z4 GT3 :)

clevo8
06-02-2016, 21:20
Well, I have been around these cars quite a bit in Australia and New Zealand and the ONLY disappointment I have with this version of the V8SC Falcon is the sound. Everything else IS epic, but PLEASE tell me we have someone working on this? Sounds too much like the Volvo V8SC and that just sounds wrong! :) It is almost there. The final drive sound is spot on. The engine note has a high pitched element to it and it needs to be a couple of octaves lower. Steam did an update today and I was hoping this issue would be resolved, but, sadly no. If this was fixed, this car would THEN be perfect. Cheers, Rich.

TheReaper GT
06-02-2016, 21:28
Well, I have been around these cars quite a bit in Australia and New Zealand and the ONLY disappointment I have with this version of the V8SC Falcon is the sound. Everything else IS epic, but PLEASE tell me we have someone working on this? Sounds too much like the Volvo V8SC and that just sounds wrong! :) It is almost there. The final drive sound is spot on. The engine note has a high pitched element to it and it needs to be a couple of octaves lower. Steam did an update today and I was hoping this issue would be resolved, but, sadly no. If this was fixed, this car would THEN be perfect. Cheers, Rich.

Look few pages back, there's a sample of the new sound...

STEELJOCKEY
06-02-2016, 21:50
Oh wow, we are back on topic in this thread

jbr90
10-02-2016, 05:40
Car looks great, feels ok. sounds like a bike! Got no V8 balls at all. Looking forward to an update.

Ryzza5
10-02-2016, 06:51
Link to sample audio added to the OP.

JohnSchoonsBeard
10-02-2016, 10:49
This may or may not be doable or viable, but might I also suggest the option to keep the muffled sounds of the helmet cam overlay even when having the overlay disabled? I find the helmet audio extremely immersive but the reduced visibility of the helmet overlay outweighs the benefit of the audio to me.

Link to sample audio added to the OP.

Personally I think a lot of people's preferences could be met by starting off with the defaults as they are that change by view but by allowing the following to be tweaked like good old GTR2 on PC.

I try to use helmet view exclusively but would sometimes like to try out sounds without the muffling and sometimes use the rear view sound too. Having those options would allow those of us who want to play sound director even greater customisation. Hopefully that will all be available for Project Cars 2 if not before.

mister dog
10-02-2016, 14:34
Weren't adjustable audio sliders in the pipeline for PCARS 1 still?

Umer Ahmad
10-02-2016, 14:39
Nothing is in the pipeline for pcars1, you are playing the "final" game.

Expect only more content (DLC) and minor bug fixes at going forward. Especially NO new features (sliders, game modes, mid-race save, etc.)

mister dog
10-02-2016, 15:50
Nothing is in the pipeline for pcars1, you are playing the "final" game.

Expect only more content (DLC) and minor bug fixes at going forward. Especially NO new features (sliders, game modes, mid-race save, etc.)
Good to know. I thought there was still a possibility that minor improvements could be patched into the game.

Sankyo
10-02-2016, 17:21
Good to know. I thought there was still a possibility that minor improvements could be patched into the game.
Every addition has a risk of breaking other things, leading to more unscheduled work (and costs).

antraxx25
11-02-2016, 07:21

Much much better, Thank you! :frog:

Bealdor
12-02-2016, 08:26
Aaaaannnd the improved sound is in:

Audio
• Ford Falcon – Reworked the vehicle sounds to a closer match of the real car.

gemonic
12-02-2016, 10:43
improved is a strong word...... although technically accurate, its still far from good

Jescott71
12-02-2016, 11:06
Video for those who haven't heard it. (I assume it's okay to post this as it's part of the patch, not DLC. Please delete if it isn't)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpXziUeg-FE

Sankyo
12-02-2016, 11:06
improved is a strong word...... although technically accurate, its still far from good
Be sure to make a distinction between personal opinion and fact.

Josh Whitcombe
12-02-2016, 11:27
Video for those who haven't heard it. (I assume it's okay to post this as it's part of the patch, not DLC. Please delete if it isn't)

Is the transmission whine missing in actual gameplay, or is it just the replay?

Mad Al
12-02-2016, 11:37
Is the transmission whine missing in actual gameplay, or is it just the replay?

It's fine in live play...

(there must a crack in there somewhere about whining Aussies ;))

Josh Whitcombe
12-02-2016, 11:40
Good to know, looking forward to doing a few laps in it tomorrow with the new sound!

Salty Dog
12-02-2016, 11:57
Thanks SMS team, sounds much better, appreciate you guys taking on the feedback and sorting it so quick.

I hear SMS get bagged sometimes but fek me, try getting this sort of communication on most other driving games, and actually having the devs listen and sort a problem out so quick would be a miracle, its a credit to the team and this forum.

Some people expect engine sound can be replicated perfectly away from real life in a game, it simply cant, theres a whole host of real world factors that make replicating a sound to feel like you are there simply not possible.

I think some racers expectations might be a bit unrealistic when it comes to sound, we all have high expectations and wont except garbage sounding cars but at the same time no sound can ever be perfect.

cheers

BigDad
12-02-2016, 12:57
It's fine in live play...

(there must a crack in there somewhere about whining Aussies ;))
New Zealanders are not Aussies !
Like saying English are Irish , lol

12-02-2016, 12:58
New Zealanders are not Aussies !
Like saying English are Irish , lolSurely more like calling Irish English/British? Which they do way too often get called. =)

BigDad
12-02-2016, 13:01
Who knows ? But call an Aussie a Kiwi and see how it goes , lol . Friendly rivalry .

12-02-2016, 13:24
Who knows ? But call an Aussie a Kiwi and see how it goes , lol . Friendly rivalry .A calling a Finn a Swede. Perkele. =)

Sasquatch
12-02-2016, 13:32

I can only spam-smash the like button so much.

RomKnight
12-02-2016, 13:34
When the camera changes to the cockpit menu it gets weird... clipping much?

resmania
12-02-2016, 13:34
Thx for the update. But there's a critical bug with the new audio. There's no transmission whine and backfire sound if you play it online.

RomKnight
12-02-2016, 13:35
A calling a Finn a Swede. Perkele. =)

We can keep going as Portugal is not a province of Spain... :D

django18
12-02-2016, 13:37
Be sure to make a distinction between personal opinion and fact.

This applies to you aswell I guess....