PDA

View Full Version : Speed Sensitivity question.

Sauwelios
24-01-2016, 07:48
Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Also, I've never had a driver's license, so this may be a stupid question.

Is Speed Sensitivity realistic? That is to say, in a real car, is it physically impossible to turn the steering wheel past a certain point when the car's at a certain speed?

If so, then why is there a Speed Sensitivity setting in Project CARS? Shouldn't it then be pre-set (though possibly at a different number for each particular car)?

And if not, isn't it most realistic to set Speed Sensitivity to 0?

Mad Al
24-01-2016, 09:32
speed sensitive steering is used to compensate for the very small range of input on a gamepad...
In a real car you can indeed carry on turning the wheel all the way to the lock stops.. if you apply the steering fast enough, you will just get a load of understeer (many years ago when I owned a Mini, that used to be my party trick, get onto a roundabout, drive around and get onto full lock and steer with the throttle)
It's pre set for each mode, but not everyone drives the same.. so you get to chose your own settings.

miagi
24-01-2016, 09:43
A few cars have a gearing between the steering wheel and the wheels. BMW had a small planetary gearing that was actuated by an electric motor. Depending of the speed of the electric motor the steering ratio was different. They used it like "speed sensitivity". At higher speeds the ratio was less direct, on lower speeds or for parking the ratio was smaller so more towards 1:1.