PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only over seventy year old racing online?

racesafegrandad
24-01-2016, 08:08
Before you ignore this old fart I would just like to point out that I am 71 years old, fit to the point of being an athlete, have been involved in Motorsport for over 25 years, have my own rig including a G29 steering wheel and have just come over from Grid Autosport where I could more than hold my own racing against all the 'kids' out there.
I have now set up my Clio Cup car [and in the process of setting up others, lots of testing still to do] and will soon go online so watch out all you lot, racesafegrandad will hit the tracks soon.........if I live that long of course? :)

Neil Bateman
24-01-2016, 08:16
You got 18 yrs on me, i hope i still got what it takes when(if) i reach 71.:)

Robhd
24-01-2016, 09:00
At 55 i feel like a spring chicken.... Except for the feathers, wings, beak and uhmm... Claws... Nothing like Cluck then!

Pcars Driver 44
24-01-2016, 09:16
Well your most certainly looking at me in your rear view mirror lol. :D Only a third of a lap mind!

tonypbeck
24-01-2016, 09:41
I'm 50 so it's great to see I have a long career ahead of me, I feel so young all of a sudden, you go get em :D

DreamsKnight
24-01-2016, 10:17
please send us a photo in un your rig.

"at your age are still playing gameeeeeees?"
"nooouuu. i'm drinving. and racing. amd look at this man, i'm too young to go fast."

racesafegrandad
24-01-2016, 10:21
please send us a photo in un your rig.

"at your age are still playing gameeeeeees?"
"nooouuu. i'm drinving. and racing. amd look at this man, i'm too young to go fast."

Age is the number of years you have lived on this planet, nothing more!
Inside I am 25 years old and will remain that age till I die.

P.S. 'Life is for having fun' :)

cluck
24-01-2016, 10:35
I think lollygag is over 70, so no, you're not alone :)

(I'm a dead man when lolly sees this)

hkraft300
24-01-2016, 10:41
A friend's cousin's girlfriend's uncle's half-brother may/may not have told him Jackie Ickx is still racing about on pcars ps4...
So you may not be the oldest :)

Looking forward to catching you around the traps mate.

cluck
24-01-2016, 10:42
I believe we have had at least one octogenarian saying they are enjoying the game :).

Goresh
24-01-2016, 10:43
Go get them racesafegrandad!!

sbankus
24-01-2016, 11:01
Before you ignore this old fart I would just like to point out that I am 71 years old, fit to the point of being an athlete, have been involved in Motorsport for over thirty years, have my own rig including a G29 steering wheel and have just come over from Grid Autosport where I could more than hold my own racing against all the 'kids' out there.
I have now set up my Clio Cup car [and in the process of setting up others, lots of testing still to do] and will soon go online so watch out all you lot, racesafegrandad will hit the tracks soon.........if I live that long of course? :)

PS4, T150 Wheel

poirqc
24-01-2016, 13:25
Before you ignore this old fart I would just like to point out that I am 71 years old, fit to the point of being an athlete, have been involved in Motorsport for over 25 years, have my own rig including a G29 steering wheel and have just come over from Grid Autosport where I could more than hold my own racing against all the 'kids' out there.

Show them! :)

I can't do anything else than smile and get impressed every time i see my grandfather hit the slopes. He's 84 now. He ski for a shorter time than before, when he goes. Man, i would be proud to be a 1/10th as good as him when i'll be that age.

sirsilver1968
24-01-2016, 13:40
I have been gaming since 1978 and as long as i remain compus mentus i shall hold pad and wheel till the afterlife, nice thread op you are an inspiration to us all :)

N0body Of The Goat
24-01-2016, 13:55
Mentally and physically, at times, I feel I'm already there or beyond... But in terms of years on this planet, I have another ~29 years to go until I hit 71.;)

hkraft300
24-01-2016, 14:15
Need to show my wife this thread.
She reckons I'll need to grow up and give up gaming.
Hah... Lulz to that!
Little does she know... ;)

rustymike12
24-01-2016, 15:10
I'll be 62 in June so you have me beat, (probably on the track too!) but I still enjoy racing games and golf games and hope to continue as long as I can hold the wheel (Fanatec) or controller (XboxOne). :-)

ChelseaOilman
24-01-2016, 15:44
Age is the number of years you have lived on this planet, nothing more!
Inside I am 25 years old and will remain that age till I die.

Exactly! I'm 68 and have a sim rig with all Fanatec gear. Unfortunately I can't race online because I live out in the country and satellite internet is my only option. Ping times are brutal.

racesafegrandad
24-01-2016, 16:10
Exactly! I'm 68 and have a sim rig with all Fanatec gear. Unfortunately I can't race online because I live out in the country and satellite internet is my only option. Ping times are brutal.

I donít know about you but I am having some great races with the A.I. in Project Cars. So good in fact that I am in no hurry to go online just yet. I did a full practice, qualifying and a 17 lap race with the Clio Cup at Brands hatch. Qualified 8th and had a wheel to wheel race with the mid field runners and finished forth. It was almost as real as it gets! So donít worry too much about online racing, itís a great sim anyway.

Armageddon
24-01-2016, 17:51
I donít know about you but I am having some great races with the A.I. in Project Cars. So good in fact that I am in no hurry to go online just yet. I did a full practice, qualifying and a 17 lap race with the Clio Cup at Brands hatch. Qualified 8th and had a wheel to wheel race with the mid field runners and finished forth. It was almost as real as it gets! So donít worry too much about online racing, itís a great sim anyway.

You've got 14 years on me:cool: I started gaming on a Zx spectrum 81 in the late 60's

PS the geezers club on GT Planet won't let you in until your 65:mad:

Krus Control
24-01-2016, 18:08
I think lollygag is over 70, so no, you're not alone :)

(I'm a dead man when lolly sees this)

Haha lollygag is not over 70. Look his channel up on vimeo. Pretty sure he's in his 40s. Nobody in their 70s can set times like that, not even Jackie Stewart.

cluck
24-01-2016, 18:13
Haha lollygag is not over 70. Look his channel up on vimeo. Pretty sure he's in his 40s. Nobody in their 70s can set times like that, not even Jackie Stewart.It was a joke :p

Krus Control
24-01-2016, 18:21
Lol went right over my head

racesafegrandad
24-01-2016, 18:35
Nobody in their 70s can set times like that, not even Jackie Stewart.

Or until racesafegrandad races online? :)

Well, maybe not :(

poirqc
24-01-2016, 21:13
Need to show my wife this thread.
She reckons I'll need to grow up and give up gaming.
Hah... Lulz to that!
Little does she know... ;)

I often say that the only difference between me and a kid is that i can... :)

hkraft300
24-01-2016, 22:09
I often say that the only difference between me and a kid is that i can... :)

"Men don't grow up. They only grow old" ;)

RaceNut
24-01-2016, 22:33
I'm 54 but, I'm feeling a bit younger since reading this thread.:D I've been gaming since the early days and have never been more serious about it than now; I try to kick the virtual tires as an end to every day - helps me sleep better! :)

RaceNut
24-01-2016, 22:37
Show them! :)

I can't do anything else than smile and get impressed every time i see my grandfather hit the slopes. He's 84 now. He ski for a shorter time than before, when he goes. Man, i would be proud to be a 1/10th as good as him when i'll be that age.

I love seeing folks that age on the slopes enjoying themselves - it's great and it gives me hope that I can do it too.

Anchorman
24-01-2016, 22:39
You've only got 4 years on me. Spending the kids inheritance. We'll have to start an Old Farts Racing team!

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
24-01-2016, 22:42
Yup. Getting old is mandatory, growing up totally optional. =)

E30_Hntsvl
25-01-2016, 00:04
64 here, if I go by the calendar. Really only mid-20's in the stuff I do. Been gaming since C64 days, worked my way up through all the sim titles through the years. I still race in RL, and do frequent track days.

hkraft300
25-01-2016, 00:31
Once a racer, always a racer :)

PJB04
25-01-2016, 01:13
60 here, love the game and find it amazing how wide an age group this has attracted.

PcarsFan01
25-01-2016, 06:50
Hi there, I am a slightly fresher fart at age 56 ,and I really enjoy sim racing. These new generation consoles has certainly opened doors for a lot of of us that actually want to or have been involved in motorsport, but cannot afford it for whatever reason. Pcars further add to the enjoyment. I also play Forza 6, but I always have the feeling of "skating on ice ", whereas with Pcars you can take a car by the scruff of the neck and have a good time, with a lot of satisfaction! For those that want to scoff at Pcar's grip levels - go to your nearest BMW advanced driving school and take any 3 series BM around the track - then you will start to understand Pcars' grip levels.

I appears that Pcars certainly upped the ante, and got a lot of parties jealous in the process !

schroda
25-01-2016, 07:55
I'm 59, raced computers cars from the early 90's. Starting with Microprose GP F1.
Evan built my own accelerator pedal.
Didn't race or play any games for 10 years.
Got shown codies F1 2012, and started again.
within 12 months had bought a Fanatec wheel base, wheel and pedals.
I'm reasonably competitive. I only race online.
Love project cars, one of the guys I race with is 72 or maybe a little older.
And he is still competitive and wins races.
I think as we age, it is good to be working your reaction times, as well as the concentration.
And I think having a passion for anything is good and healthy for everyone, but even more beneficial as we get older.
Love Project Cars
I'd love an old farts league. But were would the min age be.

Ixoye56
25-01-2016, 08:17
59 here, love the game, I got hooked with sim racing with Microprose GP and Grand Prix Legends in the late 90's.

Fanapryde
25-01-2016, 08:21
63 here with a wife who understands sim racing is a fair bit cheaper than real racing, so she does not mind at all :D
Still do some occasional track days (very helpful having friends who own several track cars and others who are still racing).
IRL I have only raced 125 shifter karts for several years.

Started "sims" in TOCA1 and 2, then I had a break for several years. Picked up again with GT5 and GT6. Then I found out about PCars and really improved my rig.
I have other sims too, but PCars is my favorite.

nhitrac
25-01-2016, 12:25
Just turned 30 here :biggrin-new:

cluck
25-01-2016, 12:27
Just turned 30 here :biggrin-new:awwwwww, bless :D.

Invincible
25-01-2016, 13:00
My oh my, I is quite shocking to learn how old some of the people here are. Although I find it awesome. It proves me right being in my 30's and still playing games and stuff. :D
Keep on rocking guys! Like the Rolling Stones of SimRacing. :p

gregc
25-01-2016, 13:09
I like this thread. Makes 46 feel younger :)

XettMan
25-01-2016, 14:00
With my 44 years I always felt very old, now I am feeling little bit younger.:)

I am glad to see that maybe I can sit in my rig for another 30 years.:ghost:

cornishbrooksy
25-01-2016, 14:03
Now i feel like a child here....only 27.....but its great to see so many people over a large age range can enjoy this and have fun with it.

sp3ctor
25-01-2016, 14:58
I'm 46 but I drive like I'm 117. Slow in, slow out!

DreamsKnight
25-01-2016, 18:02
in italy this is the terror of our road: the old man with the hat.

usually inside an old fiat panda, max speed 33 km/h.

http://mentecatto.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/old_man_driving.jpg

XettMan
25-01-2016, 18:27
In Germany they sit in an 190E.

PostBox981
25-01-2016, 18:35

So your diary is 19 years heavier than mine. :excitement: I started on Grand Prix 1 in 1992 (apart from some crappy racing game on C64 before). When I was that young I could have never imagined to be still playing at 50+ one day, but pCars made me spend more time in front of my screen than ever before. Never made it to the top of the leaderboard though and never will, but as I now found this thread today, I believe to be somewhere in the middle of my "racing career" with much more to come. :cool: Looking forward on the day I retire from work.

PostBox981
25-01-2016, 18:38

Not true. Itīs either a Golf Plus or a Merc B-Class. Not a rumour, scientifically confirmed by my personal tally sheet.

Jason PLAdoh
25-01-2016, 18:53
Judging by the standard of public lobby racing, there are lots of over seventies racing, either that or they are all asian ;)

hdh
25-01-2016, 19:08

In Norway the Toyota Corolla/Auris is their weapon of choice, and the occasional Yaris Verso. But I digress.

Glad to hear that I - being 30 years young - still have decades of sim fun ahead of me. :D

sirsilver1968
25-01-2016, 20:08
I'm a whippersnapper at a mere 48 years young.

smutpeddler
25-01-2016, 21:50
53 and going strong
love my sim racing and always will
it would b great to see a le mans start
all those zimmer frames crashing into each other
epic LOL

rustymike12
26-01-2016, 08:51
My oh my, I is quite shocking to learn how old some of the people here are. Although I find it awesome. It proves me right being in my 30's and still playing games and stuff. :D
Keep on rocking guys! Like the Rolling Stones of SimRacing. :p

I still listen to the Stones, but if I ever start looking like Jagger or Richards, put me in the ground or at least keep me out of public! :-)

maxx69
26-01-2016, 09:19
I find "us" older guy's have a far better racing etiquette than these teenagers.
These teenagers just want to get to the front anyway they can ( not all of them ) .
I just want to race , whether I'm racing for P1 or P10 I don't really mind , it's the race that I'm here for .
Was all fields in my day ....:)

racesafegrandad
26-01-2016, 09:42
I find "us" older guy's have a far better racing etiquette than these teenagers.
These teenagers just want to get to the front anyway they can ( not all of them ) .
I just want to race , whether I'm racing for P1 or P10 I don't really mind , it's the race that I'm here for .
Was all fields in my day ....:)

You are describing me perfectly here. My 36 year old son is only interested in winning but if I get mixed up in a race between me and another driver in the mid field pack then I am having fun.
I see my son [MAGICIAN99] as a works driver as he is very fast and me as just a club racer turning up in the paddock in my old camper van with my car on a trailer. :)

DreamsKnight
26-01-2016, 10:17
You are describing me perfectly here. My 36 year old son is only interested in winning but if I get mixed up in a race between me and another driver in the mid field pack then I am having fun.
I see my son [MAGICIAN99] as a works driver as he is very fast and me as just a club racer turning up in the paddock in my old camper van with my car on a trailer. :)

and so... two rigs inside your house?

racesafegrandad
26-01-2016, 10:48
and so... two rigs inside your house?

He is married with his own house and own rig. I raced him a lot in grid autosport online and he is too fast for me! :)

Umer Ahmad
26-01-2016, 13:04
Solution: he uses the MIN air restrictor setting and you use MAX. And/or put him on lesser tyres.

Thats something i like about pcars, there are methods to augment or degrade raw performance to increase competition when there's an "ability gap" between players

E30_Hntsvl
26-01-2016, 13:12
Two rigs at this old guys house @DreamsKnight.

King-Kodiak
26-01-2016, 13:27

Amen to that good sir. Good on you

I am 35 and have been enjoying racing Sims since GP1 in the early 90's. Loving Pcars, and I am on a quest to set as many time trial laps as I can, and enjoy the occasional online race too.

Oh, and to the person who mentioned using a Speccy ZX81 in the 60's, unless I misunderstood your post, I'm afraid your numbers are wrong, the ZX 81 was released in March 81

26-01-2016, 14:15

226025226026Warms my heart seeing people put the screens properly close to the wheel base. <3

Roger Prynne
26-01-2016, 14:37
Warms my heart seeing people put the screens properly close to the wheel base. <3

Is there another way? :emmersed:

26-01-2016, 14:40
Is there another way? :emmersed:Yes: The way 99% of people seem to be doing it. =)

OldAndSlow
26-01-2016, 14:44
I will be 72 this summer. I did some amateur racing in my 20's. Worked on modding GPL (codehound for those who might remember). I mostly enjoy the Historics and the road cars. Firm believer that race cars should not have wings and tires should have tread. :)

GrimeyDog
26-01-2016, 15:35
Nice... Im 46 and Hope to be Racing until the Last Breath... Which i Pray is Many Many Many years away:D

Shadowoff
26-01-2016, 19:24
I'm way not 70... I'm 56 years younger... But nice to see that you can still drive with 70 years!

Intense Chip
26-01-2016, 20:17
I've just turned 70 and I play Project Cars every night. I have a GT28 wheel attached to my TX motor, wheelstand pro.
There is nothing wrong with us old farts, we can hold our own with the youngsters! Keep up the good work, it does my heart good to hear that I'm not the only one who believes that age doesn't matter!!!

DreamsKnight
27-01-2016, 00:05

and they are also different. each one has his opinion i think. the left is yours. not for the softer seat. there is an HAT!!! :D :D :D
of cours i'm kidding. i'm really enjoying this topic and you old guys!!

why don't you (old guys inside here) do a race? and streaming?

hkraft300
27-01-2016, 01:12
OG Racing yo

(Old Geezers... Original grandfathers... ;) )

seb02
27-01-2016, 07:19

by reading you I hope two things :
first, having the same energy and passion at your age.
The second, do not cross you on online game because I think that you would put me a beating :p

It is very refreshing to read it, thanks again for your post.

Mascot
27-01-2016, 10:21
Mid forties here and more enthusiastic about sim racing than I've ever been. Also greatly encouraged to see I've got at least another 25 years of sim racing ahead of me..! As hardware specs improve and once VR takes off (and has had a chance to settle and establish itself) I think the whole landscape of sim racing will change dramatically. We've got exciting times ahead - I can't begin to imagine what things will be like in another decade or so.

Plage
27-01-2016, 10:34
We had a pensioner in our GTL community and he was a really great guy. Always in good mood and a real gentleman driver (expected as he's from England) but he also was quite fast. Unfortunately he started to show up less often over the time as he got health problems that kept him from racing. I don't even know if he's still around.

racesafegrandad
27-01-2016, 13:12
by reading you I hope two things :
first, having the same energy and passion at your age.

A little off topic but to have the energy and passion I do have at my age I seriously look after my health!

Thanks for your comment and see you on track soon my friend.

cluck
27-01-2016, 13:39
Mid forties here and more enthusiastic about sim racing than I've ever been. Also greatly encouraged to see I've got at least another 25 years of sim racing ahead of me..! As hardware specs improve and once VR takes off (and has had a chance to settle and establish itself) I think the whole landscape of sim racing will change dramatically. We've got exciting times ahead - I can't begin to imagine what things will be like in another decade or so.When you look at how far we've come in 30 years (Test Drive in glorious 4-colour CGA on PC :D), it is frankly quite scary how far we might go in the next 30. Got to agree with you on the point of VR headsets, they have finally reached a point where they can deliver on the promise made 2+ decades ago.

I hope I'm still around aged 70 and I hope I'm still sim-racing. I can but hope that I'll still be racing with the same guys and girls I race with now :).

GreyNomad
27-01-2016, 14:07
Hello,I'm only a view years behind you (5) (and hope it will stay that way). Sim. racing still new to me,but I enjoy it .

PC49NZ
10-03-2016, 21:07
Hello Everyone.

I'm coming up 72 years of age and still 'love' this game. It's the best racing sim by far, in my opinion.

As a matter of interest do we have other older players of this Sim, I'd hate to feel lonely.

Regards All.
Jim PC49NZ

lollygag
10-03-2016, 21:13
You may have it... (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?44353-Am-I-the-only-over-seventy-year-old-racing-online)

F1_Racer68
11-03-2016, 00:55
Your definitely among the top 10% I would think. :applause:

I'm pushing 50 myself, but certainly hope I am still doing this hobby after I pass 70.

Bealdor
11-03-2016, 05:47
Threads merged.

simca
11-03-2016, 13:04
hello

i am 60 and almost 20 years in simk racing:sleeping:

Prontopac
12-03-2016, 05:41
I'm 66 and counting. I love pCars as it is the closest sim I've used sans a PC version. I especially like the ability to modify my vehicles to get that extra second or two off of my lap times. It has helped me better understand my primary ride, which is a 2005 Z4. But more importantly, I think I'm a better driver because of the game. I see things developing in front of me in traffic better. I sense the limits of my vehicle while I'm driving and have a better feel for what it is telling me. I better understand understeer and oversteer, and truly believe that there is an overall positive carryover from the game to my daily driving. And I would join in a minute an Old Farts Racing League (OFRL)

Also, I feel sorry for the twenty year olds when they reach my age as technology will someday make it mandatory that only self-driving cars be sold in the U.S. They will have forgotten the thrill of being one with a machine that responds to your every desire, and the growl of 300 horses exploding from a 2" tailpipe. In awe, people will comment that I actually drove a car when me and my Z depart this world. And that would be so cool.

Tony_S
12-03-2016, 08:40
Hah.. 62 here, started with Toca 1 in '97, then Toca 2, then GPL, then EA's F1 Challenge.. & still loving the racing now 19 years on, & having an online race-within-a-race in the midfield is what I enjoy most to be honest

In England our "man with a hat" tends to be in a Honda Jazz, or occasionally a Toyota Yaris ..no hat though :lemo:

Patrick Kulinski
12-03-2016, 09:54
I remember some guy on the WMD forums who said he was 76 (at that time which should be a couple of years ago already).

Didd31
12-03-2016, 11:57
i'am only on my 56th year, started at 29 old with "Formula One" Geof Grammond Microprose on atari ST, on line at 38 old with "GP Legends" Papyrus Sierra.

Tbolt47
12-03-2016, 17:49
No your not - my Dad is 71 and play PC's and a few other simulators.

acenickells
13-03-2016, 19:24
I'm 67 and that's how many times I get lapped when I used to play on line.

I live in the country and my broadband is so poor that I asked my provider if I could go dial-up as it's faster.

Thanks for the AI or I'd be stuck with hot laps. Sorry, time-trial. I think hot-laps is something to do with pole dancing.