PDA

View Full Version : Formula C more laps than fuel allowance

Tonymeister
25-01-2016, 01:37
I'm currently racing Formula C in my career on 100% session lengths. I'm at Oulton Park and the second race is 24 laps, but the car's fuel tank can only fit 40L, enough for 22.8 laps. Refuelling is not allowed during the race, so if I put in 23 laps, I'll run out of fuel and the race will be for nought. Anybody else seen this? Is it a glitch, a miscalculation, or is it simply designed so that I have to manage my fuel during the race?

CPU M Rossi
25-01-2016, 01:44
I can always do more laps then the game says I can

Mahjik
25-01-2016, 02:16
Some races with the FC, you may have to adjust your driving style to conserve fuel.

AndrexUK
25-01-2016, 12:58
I think the estimation of how many laps you will manage is very off, until you have done quite a few laps!
I believe it keeps a running total of how much fuel against how many laps you've done (or it counts our outlap fuel, but not the lap.

I would always advise to put 10L in the tank, and do 2 or 3 laps, and check the average yourself!
Or try to make a note of the fuel level as you cross the start line, and again at the end of the lap!

I think the Console guys can use apps now? if you can get pCars profiler, it will tell you how much fuel you are using during a lap (as well as a record of the last lap's fuel use, and an average).

But yeah, run some laps, and calculate how much you use per lap, rather than using the games estimate.

Daynja
25-01-2016, 13:16
Use the motec display (digital dash display) to show fuel per lap consumption (use the digital pad on your wheel to change displays). Once you do a few laps it will tell you how many litres per lap you are consuming. This wil change depending on your setup and driving style. The most common way to save fuel is to short shift (shift before the red line) and off throttle before braking and braking smoothly ( smooth engine braking/ rev reduction)

hkraft300
25-01-2016, 13:21
Another good fuel-saver trick: use 1 gear higher in every turn. But you'd want to do that over the full stint to save an extra lap or 2 of fuel. You can drop to full attack for a pass or if you're under pressure, build a gap for a few laps then ease up again.
I don't like the lift off like mentioned above because with some cars become unstable but its good to save/cool your brakes.

Tonymeister
27-01-2016, 01:11
Thanks for the tips everybody. I've been using the motec dash displays to show fuel consumption (I love having no OSD!) but didn't want to put 30-40 minutes into a race and get to the final lap without enough fuel to finish. Thanks for all the tips.

Shinzah
27-01-2016, 02:35
Another good fuel-saver trick: use 1 gear higher in every turn. But you'd want to do that over the full stint to save an extra lap or 2 of fuel. You can drop to full attack for a pass or if you're under pressure, build a gap for a few laps then ease up again.
I don't like the lift off like mentioned above because with some cars become unstable but its good to save/cool your brakes.

Try not to have an endurance/long race setup that becomes unstable on turn in. If you ease off before the corner, turn in and use your usual power off you shouldn't find the car stepping out. Another way is to idle by engaging the clutch on the straights. You're losing a boatload of laptime this way but you're making it up in mileage. On faster tracks you can engage cruise mode and instead of running 1 gear higher, use only 3rd and 6th with short shifting. Revs eat fuel, the more you can limit the revs and preserve your forward momentum the more fuel mileage you can get while losing the least amount of laptime.

I tend to practice mileage runs often, since in most of the forms of racing I enjoy mileage is a crucial component of them.

You know, until they started putting in timed full course cautions and such, anyway..

hkraft300
27-01-2016, 05:25
Ideally ye I'd like a stable setup too.
Some cars I just don't know how to tune out that instability yet, eg FR3.5 at speed I've got it pinned with the aero adjustments and spring/ride height from hints about the aero effects that Casey dropped in his physics thread.
BUT slow speed corners with no aero its all skatey on me if I don't keep a bit of throttle on.
Also some LMP cars I may have nailed the setup everywhere else at Spa* but at the bus stop I have to be cautious.

Further testing required. I just don't have the time I'd like to spend on it.