PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brake Glow....On or Off, not fading

Ezuna
25-01-2016, 20:46
I noticed this in some replays...the glow is not gradually fading out, it goes out like a light being switched off.

Anyone know if there are plans to fix this?

hdh
25-01-2016, 20:56
I noticed this in some replays...the glow is not gradually fading out, it goes out like a light being switched off.

Anyone know if there are plans to fix this?

This is probably just yet another one of those replay limitations caused by the limited amount of telemetry data that the replay can use.

Linx
25-01-2016, 23:02
Didn't even know there was a disc brake glow. Is this on all cars? And do we have telemetry in replays now?

NuclearPenguin
25-01-2016, 23:21
I can confirm that the disc brakes do fade in brightness in actual gameplay and have different brightness (Though I dont have any screenshots). Was messing around with top speeds and overheating brakes in the past.

artao
26-01-2016, 00:20
I've personally never seen any brake glow. Didn't even think it was in the game.

Lukeymonster
26-01-2016, 01:30
I've personally never seen any brake glow. Didn't even think it was in the game.

Reduce the size of your brake ducts. The defaults are super generous. I tune it to the point where I get glow during heavy breaking areas. Brakes work better at the increased temps imo.

It looks great in gameplay but there is no fade off effect in replays like in gameplay.

TurtleCrunchy
26-01-2016, 11:08
Can also confirm brake glow fades in and out, I always get the brakes glowing if I'm going to take a screenshot or photo, if I spend too long positioning the car once the brakes are hot the colour will fade out. Can't speak for replays though, but it would make sense that they only have an on/off setting to keep things simple given the limited data

Photonmonkey
26-01-2016, 14:28
I noticed the brake glow for the first time since release the other day in a replay and straight away thought 'that just went off like a switch', again I think any official response will be 'lack of telemetry data in the replays' let's be honest the replays are still the weakest link in the Project CARS chain. To me this is back to front, as why have all the eye candy 'in game' when you are paying attention to racing and then exclude it on replay when you actually have the time to enjoy it! Doesn't make any sense. Hopefully this will be rectified in Project CARS 2.

artao
26-01-2016, 21:04
Hopefully this will be rectified in Project CARS 2.

no ...... in pCARS please, not pCARS 2 :)

Photonmonkey
26-01-2016, 21:30
no ...... in pCARS please, not pCARS 2 :)

I would love to think it would get addressed in this version but we have seen very little in the way of 'replay' improvements since release so I just don't think it will happen ;)

artao
26-01-2016, 21:48
And if SMS won't address such problems in pCARS (the replay problems, not disc brake glow), I for one won't be supporting them by buying pCARS 2 ..... and I'm sure I'm not the only one ;)

hdh
27-01-2016, 08:57
To fix the replay issues of pCARS, they would probably have to restructure the entire replay part of the game, which would mean altering the very core of the game. Do you want to open that pandoras box? We just have to accept that replay and photomode in pCARS is just fundamentally flawed, and hope pCARS2 gets these things right.

Sankyo
27-01-2016, 09:29
And if SMS won't address such problems in pCARS (the replay problems, not disc brake glow), I for one won't be supporting them by buying pCARS 2 ..... and I'm sure I'm not the only one ;)

I'm always puzzled by such statements. If pCARS2 is going to be the improvement over pC1 that it's intended to be, why would you deny yourself a great race sim just for some subjective principle? I mean, pC1 isn't perfect but it's still a very enjoyable race sim despite its shortcomings. It's only the start of a franchise, and other long-running franchises were not perfect either when they started (and from a simulation standpoint possibly far less enjoyable than PC1).

DreamsKnight
27-01-2016, 10:26
i see the first time two days ago during a race in a AI car.

artao
27-01-2016, 10:47
I'm always puzzled by such statements. If pCARS2 is going to be the improvement over pC1 that it's intended to be, why would you deny yourself a great race sim just for some subjective principle? I mean, pC1 isn't perfect but it's still a very enjoyable race sim despite its shortcomings. It's only the start of a franchise, and other long-running franchises were not perfect either when they started (and from a simulation standpoint possibly far less enjoyable than PC1).

Because if they don't/won't address such issues in pCARS, what's to make me think they'll address any such issues (that will, of course, arise) in pCARS 2? At the very least, I'll wait a good long while to see how things shake out.
.. but this is OT now ... back to disc brake glow

BOY!!! You sure can lower the brake duct QUITE a bit from default settings! :O

Furma
27-01-2016, 12:13

the issue is, SMS can say about any current bug/missing feature that it can't be done in pcars1 and they will leave it for pcars2
it sounds like an easy cop out - and yeah, cool for them to address it in a planned sequel, but that does nothing for current players of pcars1 who are stuck with current product and its issues

and as artao stated:

"Because if they don't/won't address such issues in pCARS, what's to make me think they'll address any such issues (that will, of course, arise) in pCARS 2?"

hkraft300
27-01-2016, 22:46
the issue is, SMS can say about any current bug/missing feature that it can't be done in pcars1 and they will leave it for pcars2
it sounds like an easy cop out - and yeah, cool for them to address it in a planned sequel, but that does nothing for current players of pcars1 who are stuck with current product and its issues

and as artao stated:

"Because if they don't/won't address such issues in pCARS, what's to make me think they'll address any such issues (that will, of course, arise) in pCARS 2?"

What about hardware limitations?
You can build the best sim in the world but if no PC or console can handle it, you're limited to race teams with multimillion dollar budgets for supercomputers.

What artao said in your quote is a bit of a flawed argument.
"Pcars1 sucks therefore pcars2 will suck too"
Nice to see you can see in the future.
I guess you won't be trying a demo or buying pcars2. Because you already know it'll be the same as pcars1. Good for you.
Apparently it means nothing that pcars2 is being built with less constraints like having a bigger budget and not having to build the whole new game from scratch...

artao
28-01-2016, 04:48
You can build the best sim in the world but if no PC or console can handle it, you're limited to race teams with multimillion dollar budgets for supercomputers.

I guess you won't be trying a demo or buying pcars2. Because you already know it'll be the same as pcars1. Good for you.
Apparently it means nothing that pcars2 is being built with less constraints like having a bigger budget and not having to build the whole new game from scratch...

DUDE!!! That is 100% absolutely NOT!!! what I said. Thanks for completely re-writing my words. :mad:
What I said was .. well ... EXACTLY WHAT I SAID!!

To clarify for you, since your reading comprehension seems to be off: SMS isn't addressing numerous issues in pCARS. As such, why would I think they would for pCARS 2? And I'm not "seeing into the future" here. Games these days have bugs upon release. Pretty much always. The likelihood of pCARS 2 being completely bug free upon release approaches 0% .. do you honestly think otherwise? If so, you're delusional, sorry. ;)
Games have bugs upon release. That's how it goes.

And no, I will almost certainly not be buying pCARS 2 upon release. This time I will wait for prolly a good 6 months to see how things shake out with the game, watching the forums to see what issues are present, and how SMS handles them. THEN!! and only then, IF things are addressed better, will I purchase pCARS 2.
Caveat emptor

Regarding hardware limitations. To what are you referring here, the disc brake glow? If so, LOL ... plenty of racing games from the previous generation had excellent brake glow effects. And this on lesser hardware than what is currently available. A "next gen" racing game should still have all the features present in the previous generation of games. WTF

RE: "Not having to rebuild the whole new game from scratch" ... uhhh ... It's my understanding that they are indeed re-building the engine, since many of the not-included features are due to limitations of the current engine.
OK. So it won't be 100% "from scratch" because they've built this engine already, and thus have experience with potential issues they will face. Fair enuf. But writing a NEW engine will bring it's own host of unforseen issues as well.

Furma
28-01-2016, 11:41

what about hardware limitations?
you're telling me that pit stops, replays and other things wont be fixed, in pcars2 as well, due to hardware limitations? because pcars2 is being developed for the same platforms pcars1 is running on (PC/xbox1/ps4)

for someone who comes from a country where english is a primary language your reading comprehension is abysmal

that's not what was said or what his argument was about
its simple: if game developer is not properly supporting game 1, what makes you think he will properly support game 2 (sequel to the first game)?

I think the issue at hand here is that majority of SMS budget is being devoted to pcars2 instead of supporting pcars1 (as there is little money to be earned on pcars1 beyond the launch period - as is the case with majority of games that dont have microtransactons or huge player bases)

Doge
28-01-2016, 12:56
Ah, if only brake glow was the biggest problem with replays... thereīs stuff that makes them completely useless: missing cars, wrong models and liveries displayed, crashes when you rewind, impossible to advance or rewind fast, ghost cars stopped on the grid, warping engine sounds, wrong steering ratios ALWAYS being displayed, etc.

Itīs gobsmacking these were not fixed.

hkraft300
28-01-2016, 14:36
Yes hardware limitations. Eg why consoles are 1080 and PC get 4K.
Its why consoles and PC get framerate drops because there's so much going on in the code (not just in the image processing but consider its doing sounds, physics, tyres, weather and who knows what else) the hardware can't keep up.
Its why pcars2 is looking at locking replay framerate at 30fps, so we can have proper working replays with...
*drumroll*
...brake disc glow! And have them work properly. Because they're terrible ATM. That's no secret.
Pcars1 is pushing consoles at 99% already as per Ian Bell's claim.
Pcars1 had terrible QA and Bell himself said they're getting proper QA system in place. So we have less bugs and more bells and whistles.
Thanks to a bigger budget I guess.
As for "proper" support... Well... How much do you expect? Have the current game polished til there's nothing left for pcars2? No sequel? Last of the line? Keep on with $8-10 DLC every month?
But Furma explained that last part better than I have.
Since my English is so abysmal.

RacingManiac
31-01-2016, 02:32
I've not seen the Bentley GT3 car doing this yet....even trying at night with brake duct closed to 5% and brake rotor hitting 800c they are not glowing in the replay...

Plage
31-01-2016, 08:13
Parked the new 2002 in the pit exit of the Nords right after I finished a time trial lap and switched to external view. Noticed the brakes were still glowing and thought I'll observe if they'll cool down because I had read this thread here before. Watched the car for one minute, two minutes, three minutes but the glow wouldn't fade at all.

RacingManiac
01-02-2016, 01:15
Parked the new 2002 in the pit exit of the Nords right after I finished a time trial lap and switched to external view. Noticed the brakes were still glowing and thought I'll observe if they'll cool down because I had read this thread here before. Watched the car for one minute, two minutes, three minutes but the glow wouldn't fade at all.

Can you see the telemetry read out during this? I mean technically they would cool a lot faster when the car is moving.

Plage
01-02-2016, 02:32
Didn't had it turned on so no but I can try to replicate it and see what it says.