PDA

View Full Version : No transmission whine in Ginetta GT4?

Plage
26-01-2016, 10:34
While watching some vids from other players driving the Ginetta G55 GT4 I noticed the car has an distinctive transmission whine (sound)...except for the one I'm driving it seems.

Here's a vid from Mad Al with the transmission whine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHgFMcbIhvg

And here for comparison the sound I get (note the vid is from a replay but it's the same "without whine" when driving for me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2A4wHlJwYI

How can this be? Any idea how to fix this? I'd really like to have some whine to my cheese, too. ;)

TurtleCrunchy
26-01-2016, 11:05
I've had this same thing with the RUF GT3, it seemed to change based on if I was in a server, and what session I was in, I also had a friend notice sometimes being able to hear the turbo whine of the 12C GT3, and sometimes having it be absent.

cluck
26-01-2016, 11:34
As Mad Al explained in the 'beat a pro' thread, some effects aren't 'captured' during recordings due to memory/space limitations - transmission whine being one of them.

If you record a video 'live' (as Mad Al's video was - telemetry isn't available in replays) then you will hear everything as you did during the race.

Unless you're missing it during normal driving?

Mad Al
26-01-2016, 11:40
As Mad Al explained in the 'beat a pro' thread, some effects aren't 'captured' during recordings due to memory/space limitations - transmission whine being one of them.

If you record a video 'live' (as Mad Al's video was - telemetry isn't available in replays) then you will hear everything as you did during the race.

Unless you're missing it during normal driving?

Yep, he's saying just that - check the beat a pro thread for the initial question..

cluck
26-01-2016, 12:08
Oh, my apologies, I missed that follow up, I just saw the initial comment about it being missing and your reply :o.

AndrexUK
26-01-2016, 12:14
I've had occasions when driving the RWD P30, where I don't hear the wastegate. And then join another lobby, and I do....
Not as much as perhaps the first couple of months (and I haven't driven it nearly as much over the last few months), so not 100% sure if it's still happening.

Plage
27-01-2016, 06:26
Can't they even get the easiest things done right? *sigh*

cluck
27-01-2016, 07:53
Can't they even get the easiest things done right? *sigh*If it was affecting everybody, all of the time, then you would have cause to question "can't they even get the easiest things done right?". As it is, there is a very small number of players, it seems, that are missing these effects so it is possible that there is a localised problem rather than a wide-ranging 'game' problem :).

One thing did just spring to mind and it's something I noticed once. What speaker setup are you running and does the Windows speaker configuration match the speaker setup exactly? The reason I raise it is that I noticed, once, that if I told Windows I was running 5.1 speakers, when in fact I was playing on headphones, a lot of sounds 'disappeared' or were barely audible :).

AndrexUK
27-01-2016, 07:58
If it was consistent (talking about my RWD P30 wastegate sound) I would be all for that, but on 1 lobby, the wastegate sound is missing, leave lobby, join a new lobby (or even just rejoin 1st lobby again), the wastegate sound is back again.

But this may be valid for the OP's issue!

EvoM3
27-01-2016, 08:04
You know what else is ridiculous.. the 86 road car has a race car transmission whine.. I have owned one and I can assure you they dont make that sound.

Plage
27-01-2016, 10:05
If it was affecting everybody, all of the time, then you would have cause to question "can't they even get the easiest things done right?". As it is, there is a very small number of players, it seems, that are missing these effects so it is possible that there is a localised problem rather than a wide-ranging 'game' problem :).

One thing did just spring to mind and it's something I noticed once. What speaker setup are you running and does the Windows speaker configuration match the speaker setup exactly? The reason I raise it is that I noticed, once, that if I told Windows I was running 5.1 speakers, when in fact I was playing on headphones, a lot of sounds 'disappeared' or were barely audible :).

I don't think it's only a very small number that's being effected actually. The thing is that many people won't even notice or miss it at all. I never had said sound in the Ginetta that's why I couldn't notice it before. Only when I watched Al's video I noticed that something isn't right. How many players actually do that and compare things like this and how many do you think show up here in the forums if they notice such things. I can tell you the numbers will be below 10% if at all.
I also doubt it's a "localised problem" simply because I know how to setup a PC and don't have any comparable problems with the others games I play or with the sound in general. It's only happening with this game with brings me to the conclusion that it's indeed the game that's bugged.

I'm using a stereo headset for the most part and therefore all options in Windows and the Creative software are set to "Stereo headphones". The only thing I've turned on is the Creative Crystalizer but I doubt this has anything to do with the sound of the transmission not getting generated correctly. That's something related to their (sound) engine. Which is seconded by other players which have the same problems as you can see.

On another note I can understand that you are/were somewhat more involved into the development process and therefore may have a closer affilation and more sympathy towards SMS than me for example. Maybe you're one of the few persons that doesn't runs into game related bugs and limitations constantly. That's all nice and dandy but please stop playing the coatholder for them. There are things with this game and it's developer that shouldn't be wiped under the rug nor should you (feel to be forced to) jump in for their defence. The tolerance towards them messing things up that's sometimes shown in here is just mind-boggling. They'll never get their act together if you constantly are going to smear honey around their mouth and talk everything down. What they really need is a full broadside of angered customer feedback. Maybe this would open certain minds and straighten out their way to think and work.

cluck
27-01-2016, 11:01
I'm trying to help, that's all. I ran into a similar problem when my audio was set with 5.1 and I was using headphones and thought I'd suggest it :).

Plage
27-01-2016, 12:21
Please don't get me wrong. I'm thankful for the help and really appreciate it.

It's just that I've the impression that too many people are talking in their favor and try to excuse things that aren't really excusable. That's not solely aimed in your direction or based on this topic here. I just had to say it at some point. ;)

DreamsKnight
27-01-2016, 12:34

It's just that I've the impression that too many people are talking in their favor and try to excuse things that aren't really excusable. That's not solely aimed in your direction or based on this topic here. I just had to say it at some point. ;)

I can understand your point but It is also true the reverse thing.

A bug about the lack of trasmission sound in some cars and some configuration could be understandable, if they correct it.

;)

28-01-2016, 17:19
From 500 hours of playing multiplayer there is a pattern to this.

First game in multiplayer won't have the whining sound, 2nd game onwards in the same lobby it will be back.
When you restart the game(which will happen because of the infinite bugs) the sound will be gone until the 2nd game in the same lobby.
If you join another lobby in the same session the sound will be gone again.
If you play singleplayer the sound will always be there.

If it's a sound software problem it should be consistent, this is clearly the game that has the issue. No other game I ever played has this issue.

cluck
28-01-2016, 17:29

It's just that I've the impression that too many people are talking in their favor and try to excuse things that aren't really excusable. That's not solely aimed in your direction or based on this topic here. I just had to say it at some point. ;)Trouble is, when something isn't 100% consistent, it can often be a local problem rather than a fault with the game per se - it happened very often during the dev days and I guess some of us (certainly myself!) still have that ingrained on our minds. It is also going to be natural for some of the WMD guys to be a little protective - but it is not universal by any means, you will find many WMD guys who are quite critical of various aspects of the game.

Regarding the lack of gear whine in multiplayer, for example, it isn't something I've noticed but that's because I haven't looked out for it - I will check the next time I go in to a MP race to see if any audio is missing compared to other modes.

As for your missing gear whine in free practice and time trial I am genuinely stumped. I presume you've tried a 'verify game cache' in Steam? And are all the audio sliders in the options menu at 100%?

Plage
28-01-2016, 21:48
Will do the "verify cache" thing which I haven't so far and check for the sliders tomorrow and report back.

You know of some other cars with a very distinctive whine I can try out for comparison?

Plage
30-01-2016, 11:27
Have verified the files but nothing came out of it. All sliders were/are at 100%.

Today I had engine whine during free practice but I'd say not as loud as you can hear in Al's vid. With the new 1M for example it's like I'd expect it to sound. It's really strange. Have to observe this further.