PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Steering Degrees Of Rotation

Ruttagger
26-01-2016, 18:04
From my research and understanding of Project Cars, this game automatically adjusts the degrees of rotation and steering lock within the game for each car. This is one of the reasons I enjoy this game over others such as Forza, which just gives you 540 degrees on your wheel for every car across the board. Here's my quick question...

I have a Logitech G920 Wheel and everything is calibrated and seems to be working well with Project Cars on my PC. What I have noticed that if I turn the wheel, no matter the car in game, the virtual wheel and my actual wheel dont quite move at a 1:1 ratio. I seem to have to turn my wheel slightly more, for example, to get the wheel in the game to turn from center 90 degrees, I would have to turn my actual wheel approximately 100 degrees. Is this normal or should I be seeing an exact 1:1 movement.

Thanks guys.

Sankyo
26-01-2016, 18:08
From my research and understanding of Project Cars, this game automatically adjusts the degrees of rotation and steering lock within the game for each car. This is one of the reasons I enjoy this game over others such as Forza, which just gives you 540 degrees on your wheel for every car across the board. Here's my quick question...

I have a Logitech G920 Wheel and everything is calibrated and seems to be working well with Project Cars on my PC. What I have noticed that if I turn the wheel, no matter the car in game, the virtual wheel and my actual wheel dont quite move at a 1:1 ratio. I seem to have to turn my wheel slightly more, for example, to get the wheel in the game to turn from center 90 degrees, I would have to turn my actual wheel approximately 100 degrees. Is this normal or should I be seeing an exact 1:1 movement.

Thanks guys.

They should match if you calibrated your wheel properly AFAIK.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
26-01-2016, 18:09
It's not normal and shouldn't happen when you have a correctly calibrated wheel. A similar thing has sometimes happened to me where the on-screen wheel turned more than my own wheel. This has invariably been caused by me calibrating the game to use 1080 degrees of rotation, but the drivers reverting to 900 degrees occasionally. Setting the wheel back to 1080 degrees in the control panel and recalibrating has always solved this.

So first thing to do would be to check the range of rotation in Logitech's control panel, make sure it's 900 degrees, followed by recalibrating the wheel in-game to 900 deg as well.

RacingManiac
26-01-2016, 18:20
They should match if you calibrated your wheel properly AFAIK.

This...

pCARS does this very well compare to a lot of racing games....

Ruttagger
26-01-2016, 19:29
It's not normal and shouldn't happen when you have a correctly calibrated wheel. A similar thing has sometimes happened to me where the on-screen wheel turned more than my own wheel. This has invariably been caused by me calibrating the game to use 1080 degrees of rotation, but the drivers reverting to 900 degrees occasionally. Setting the wheel back to 1080 degrees in the control panel and recalibrating has always solved this.

So first thing to do would be to check the range of rotation in Logitech's control panel, make sure it's 900 degrees, followed by recalibrating the wheel in-game to 900 deg as well.

Ill try to re calibrate. I know my Logitech Gaming Software shows that the DOG is 900. Ill double check then re calibrate in the game. I read somewhere that this may be fixed by not rotating to the full steering lock during calibration when it tells you to. Not sure if that would screw anything up thought.

Sankyo
26-01-2016, 19:36
Ill try to re calibrate. I know my Logitech Gaming Software shows that the DOG is 900. Ill double check then re calibrate in the game. I read somewhere that this may be fixed by not rotating to the full steering lock during calibration when it tells you to. Not sure if that would screw anything up thought.
The Logitech Gaming Software shows the advertised angle, not the real one :) The calibration is intended to determine the real turning angle of your wheel, so it is important to execute the steps accurately, especially the last one that requires you to turn the wheel exactly 90 degrees. Turn the wheel exactly 90 degrees and click finish, do not turn the wheel so that the number reads exactly 900. The number will probably read less than 900 when turning the wheel 90 degrees and that is exactly what the calibration is for :)

bmanic
26-01-2016, 19:50
What Remco said. This is something I think a lot of people get wrong and it does indeed affect the FFB feel as well. For instance my Thrustmaster TX 458 wheel gives 876 degrees when I put my wheel at exactly 90 degrees.

Ruttagger
26-01-2016, 20:34
The Logitech Gaming Software shows the advertised angle, not the real one :) The calibration is intended to determine the real turning angle of your wheel, so it is important to execute the steps accurately, especially the last one that requires you to turn the wheel exactly 90 degrees. Turn the wheel exactly 90 degrees and click finish, do not turn the wheel so that the number reads exactly 900. The number will probably read less than 900 when turning the wheel 90 degrees and that is exactly what the calibration is for :)

Thanks for the info!!! I totally turn my wheel until it reads exactly 900 then click finish. I will re calibrate when I get home today and turn the wheel to an actual 90 degrees. This is definitely something that doesn't get explained very clearly so this helps a lot.

26-01-2016, 20:38
I thought the game was very clear: Turn your wheel 90 degrees and hit Finish. That's all you need to do. The game never encourages you to turn until you see the "correct" number, does it? =)

Ruttagger
26-01-2016, 22:12
I thought the game was very clear: Turn your wheel 90 degrees and hit Finish. That's all you need to do. The game never encourages you to turn until you see the "correct" number, does it? =)

...I guess you are 100% correct, I could be slightly dull that's all, hahah. I think I was assuming if I got it exactly at 900 then its going to be extra perfect. Keep in mind this is my first foray into the world of Steering Wheels so I'm learning every day.

Innerspace_HQ
26-01-2016, 23:05

Spot on. The game doesn't but I've seen that offered as advice quite regularly on here.

27-01-2016, 00:23
Spot on. The game doesn't but I've seen that offered as advice quite regularly on here.Fair enough. Then again I've seen people recommend pretty batshit insane stuff here (and elsewhere) at times, so it's worth taking it with a grain of salt. My suggestions especially. =)

Innerspace_HQ
27-01-2016, 00:37
Fair enough. Then again I've seen people recommend pretty batshit insane stuff here (and elsewhere) at times, so it's worth taking it with a grain of salt. My suggestions especially. =)

Aye, that was my point. Not so much yours, but the whole grain of salt thing. I find such info useful as perhaps a starting point but the 900 degrees thing is a bit of a nonsense although oddly enough I've run both and it doesn't seem to change my DOR at all.