PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this in most driving sims?

rev happy
28-01-2016, 07:02
While playing Project Cars, I often wish I had the ability to assign a button on my wheel that I could press at moments of interest during a race, such as a collision or great overtake.

This would record a way point that saves let's say, ten seconds of action before the button press, and then at the end of the race I could quickly and easily watch these moments without going through the whole race.

If you had a crash while racing online, I think it would be great be able to watch the incident back at the end to see who messed up, rather than just watching your car cruise round.

What do you think? Has something like this ever been done elsewhere, and for those in the know, is it technically possible?

Morgan Henstridge
28-01-2016, 07:08
nvidia shadowplay will do this. you can set the quality and duration you want it to have buffered.

you can also just turn it on and off like Fraps for standard recording.

havocc
28-01-2016, 07:28
My old GTX580 doesn't support shadowplay

Neil Bateman
28-01-2016, 07:36
It has been stated a few times that there will be no new features for PCars1, only fixes and dlc so to do this you would have to use 3rd party recording software.

havocc
28-01-2016, 07:48
One thing that's really missing is sharing replays, why do i have to do a .avi file and upload it to YT? I could upload a replay file on dropbox and and link here when i want to show something...

Ixoye56
28-01-2016, 07:58
You can do this on Xbox by pressing the xbox button twice.

Joshua Healy
28-01-2016, 08:06
You can do this on PS4 using the share button as well. For PC I'm pretty sure shadowplay is the only real option and that's not available to everyone obviously

Shinzah
28-01-2016, 08:09

So upgrade.

why do i have to do a .avi file and upload it to YT? I could upload a replay file on dropbox and and link here when i want to show something...

Do you want the game to make you breakfast in bed and fluff your pillows too? =\

JessicaWalter
28-01-2016, 08:29
playstation lets you choose how long you want it to keep a record of, up to 15 minutes (set the length up before you need it because you can't choose how long you want when you actually save it). then you just press the share button. you can edit it down to the part you want later. i use it a lot. you can upload to your youtube account straight from the ps as well.

N0body Of The Goat
28-01-2016, 08:33
With AMD Raptr you can save a "highlight" of the last 30 seconds, I used it several times to demonstrate bugs, such as "dip and flip."

Pamellaaa
28-01-2016, 09:06
One thing that's really missing is sharing replays, why do i have to do a .avi file and upload it to YT? I could upload a replay file on dropbox and and link here when i want to show something...

You can do this, we do it at RSR quite regularlary.

cluck
28-01-2016, 10:08
You can do this, we do it at RSR quite regularlary.Yep, if you save the replay from a race, you can go to the replays/media folder and upload the file with the appropriate date/time on it.

I'm not at my PC right now so I can't tell you exactly which folder that is but I'm sure somebody will provide the answer :).

macmac__
28-01-2016, 12:00
^^ \Steam_install_folder\userdata\usernumber\234630\local\project cars\media
(234630, iirc)

Doesn't help console owners though :/

Collision and overtake based "replay point of interest" has already been brought up in pC2 idea tracker. (I feel that I must say that that does not guarantee anything, it just has been brought up as a improvement suggestion with many others)

On pc, aforementioned programs, MSI afterburner and Windows 10 Xbox app (windowed mode games only) at least have the background record capability. I myself use afterburner configured to use intel quicksync H.264 with 512mb memory, recording at 1080p60fps@40mbps it gives around minute and half of ringbuffer. It's possible to prerecord to file too with an arbitrarily long buffer, best thing is performance drop is next to nothing.

havocc
28-01-2016, 12:18
I use fraps and then i have to convert the uncompressed file

rev happy
28-01-2016, 15:23
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm on PS4, so I need to investigate adjusting the amount of time it automatically saves when I press the share button. I thought it just recorded the last fifteen minutes and wasn't adjustable. Having it built into the game would be preferable though, but I guess that's stating the obvious.

I wasn't expecting to see something like this added to the current game and it's good to hear its been suggested before. I'll cross my fingers for Project Cars 2. :)

Shino
28-01-2016, 18:33

You can still use it, just use Google for like 5mins.

hkraft300
29-01-2016, 00:17
Press and hold share button and the menu popsup on ps4. Adjust the settings. You can record upcoming up to 15 minutes or last 5-15 minutes whichever you choose.

Innerspace_HQ
29-01-2016, 00:40
Do you want the game to make you breakfast in bed and fluff your pillows too? =\

Yes.

Will Project Cars 2 feature this? Sign me the f**k up. ;)

Can i make a feature request that it includes tea and coffee as part of it's breakfast mode, too?

hkraft300
29-01-2016, 01:32
Yes.

Will Project Cars 2 feature this? Sign me the f**k up. ;)

Can i make a feature request that it includes tea and coffee as part of it's breakfast mode, too?

My wife does that for me.
I'm yet to convince her to hold the coffee for me so I can have a drink mid-race.

Innerspace_HQ
29-01-2016, 01:39
My wife dies that for me.
I'm yet to convince her to hold the coffee for me so I can have a drink mid-race.

That's the quickest way to wear a cup of coffee I can think of.

You need a flask ;)

hkraft300
29-01-2016, 05:06
That's the quickest way to wear a cup of coffee I can think of.

You need a flask ;)

Nearly did.
She just doesn't understand racing.
Yet.

rev happy
29-01-2016, 06:31
Press and hold share button and the menu popsup on ps4. Adjust the settings. You can record upcoming up to 15 minutes or last 5-15 minutes whichever you choose.

Yeah, thanks. I took a look and you can even go as short as 30 second which is pretty much ideal for me. To clarify though, what I really would like is to watch these clips in the TV replay mode in Project Cars, as you can get a much clearer view of any incidents.

As I drive in the cockpit view, watching the replays using the system share button only gives me the same limited viewpoint I had at the time, but it's still useful and the next best thing. Thanks.