PDA

View Full Version : Bannochbrae: problem with AI line

aurel
29-01-2016, 21:54
How to reproduce: select Toyota GT-86 (it's just the first car I used to learn the track, I didn't try with any other cars), start an offline race with one AI driver (identical car), follow the AI driver, watch him veer off the racing line into the barrier on the right after a while (including impact).

If this is already known: close or delete this thread.
If you need further information, like a video, or the coordinates of the piece of track where I've experienced this, let me know.

(Edit: Not sure if this is relevant, I think AI difficulty was set to 90%.)

diesel97
29-01-2016, 22:30
How to reproduce: select Toyota GT-86 (it's just the first car I used to learn the track, I didn't try with any other cars), start an offline race with one AI driver (identical car), follow the AI driver, watch him veer off the racing line into the barrier on the right after a while (including impact).

If this is already known: close or delete this thread.
If you need further information, like a video, or the coordinates of the piece of track where I've experienced this, let me know.

Must be a local guy trying to get home from the pub

aurel
30-01-2016, 13:20
It's at the end of sector 2, right before the T2 line, after leaving the long stone bridge and entering the twisty passage to the short stone bridge.

The AI driver will veer off to the right every time, and hit the barrier/wall there sometimes.

I reproduced it with a different car (Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT4) and different AI difficulty levels: 0%, 90%, 100%, they all drive off the track there, resulting in a slow down. I didn't see the 0% and 100% drivers hit the wall, but I only did a limited number of laps to make sure they were following the same weird line. The 90% Aston driver however sent the sparks flying almost every lap, in the dry and in the wet.

Can I please get a "we know" or a "we'll look at it"? :)

Edit: Totally unrelated to the AI line issue, but in case I actually get the attention of someone who's got something to do with the track: is there a track map for Bannochbrae with names for corners and other reference points? If so, can I have it? (To feed it to our track-day bot?)

(inb4: Yes, I'm aware that it's not a real track, thank you.)

Haiden
30-01-2016, 14:17
It's at the end of sector 2, right before the T2 line, after leaving the long stone bridge and entering the twisty passage to the short stone bridge.

The AI driver will veer off to the right every time, and hit the barrier/wall there sometimes.

That's the spot. I noticed it too, last night while driving the FA. Funny thing is, I think (might be wrong), it's only the car directly in front of you. Because I'm pretty sure I've gone through there and with two cars ahead but the leader didn't swerve. It almost seems like the car ahead is afraid to run through with you and is attempting to give you the line through.

aurel
30-01-2016, 15:54
Because I'm pretty sure I've gone through there and with two cars ahead but the leader didn't swerve. It almost seems like the car ahead is afraid to run through with you and is attempting to give you the line through.

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt when it happened to me the first time, I remember wondering why the car would yield there. To check this theory, I started a two lap race in the Aston Martin GT4, one opponent, AI at 100%, stayed at the start line and watched the sailing boat while the AI driver did his laps (you can follow parts of the race from the start line, just watching the parts of the track on the other side of the lake, very nice feature of the track layout!), and then watched the replay. The AI driver slowed down and took the line to the right after the bridge in the dry lap, as well as in the wet lap.

Next I wanted to see what happened with a full field going through that section, so I raised the number of opponents to the maximum of 19 (still all Aston Martin GT4s), resulting in a starting field with two clusters of a few cars (one in the front of the field, on in the back) that were stacked upon each other. Same result with a starting field reduced to nine opponents and me. I reproduced this a couple of times, then I exited the game to use Steam's "verify integrity". It did nothing but reset my custom livery:

[2016-01-30 16:02:56] Validation: size mismatch "F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\pCars\Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries\AUDI_R8_LMS_LIVERY_PLAYER.dds"
[2016-01-30 16:03:05] Validation: size mismatch "F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\pCars\Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries\AUDI_R8_LMS_LIVERY_SPEC.dds"
[2016-01-30 16:03:07] File validation finished: 2582 files (22651623941 bytes) total, 2 files (2796584 bytes) mismatched (61630 msec).

I tried in a variety of ways to reproduce the problem with the clustered cars after restarting the game, repeating some of the steps from the previous session, but I couldn't. Note to self: if weird stuff happens, don't just exit the session or race, instead restart the game immediately.

Anyway, in all my attempts, all AI drivers would always slow down excessively after the bridge, take a line too far to the right, often hitting the dirt and slowing down further, and sometimes hitting the wall.

QA out. *drops mike*

rev happy
31-01-2016, 07:43
Good work there aurel. I just wanted to chip in and confirm that this is definitely an issue and should be very obvious to anyone racing with the AI cars. It's a real shame, as the track is fantastic and it feels like I'm cheating when I cruise past them there each lap.

I'd also like to see the AI line modified through the high street outside Maggies junk shop :), as they take a very slow line.

Plage
31-01-2016, 08:04
So, what I get is that this DLC was pushed out without basically any testing in relation to the AI. Great job from the QA department. I've really high expectations for PC2 seeing how things get handled with the current version. *cough, cough*

NoBrakes
31-01-2016, 18:03
I could second that - here's a short clip that shows how (most time - but not every time!) the AI nearly jumps aside in that downhill passage. That happens regularly without any pressure from other cars - happened in every test race I did so far with AI offline as well as in multiplayer with other players plus AI:

http://youtu.be/tyNsYAuQVuM

Look at min. 0:13 when the yellow car jumps with no need to the right and smashes into the barrier (slightly out of sight at the moment the blue BMW did this move just a second earlier and crashed as well)

Gordon
12-02-2016, 03:50
I think the ai at this track was a quick job, for example the chicane which you can almost straightline, the ai slows right down and makes a slow s-bend out of it. Things like this kill my enthusiasm for a track no matter how undeniably beautiful.

Cheesenium
12-02-2016, 05:38
I think the AI on this track really needs a second look at the AI line as I had seen AI crashing into barriers a lot of times. Very nice looking track but the AI drives dangerously though.

monz
12-02-2016, 08:37
Will take note of this when racing the AI.....spent most of my time on time trials and free play....track is fantastic....if problem SMS will sort it ��