PDA

View Full Version : Bannochbrae Road Circuit - KTM X-Bow

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 17:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2rGMuuA-5g&feature=youtu.be

This is such an awesome combination of car & track, you really have to push the limits of this cars grip keep it right on the edge to set a fast time, it's so much fun!

Please try to beat my current fastest time of 2:26.498 (http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=3692283027&vehicle=761457895)

Then when you do please post the tuning settings you used! :cool: I have this car pretty much stock right now but I'm sure it'll go faster with some suspension and maybe LSD tuning. I'm no tuner myself (just don't have the time) but like the hot lapping so would be really cool to have a setup that's a little more dialled in for this track.

Also while on the subject, when I go to save my setup for this car and click "Circuits", nothing happens, the list of circuits does not appear so currently I can only save my setup for "All" locations, what's that about?

John Hargreaves
30-01-2016, 17:31
It's a very 'chuckable' car, great fun

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 17:34
It's a very 'chuckable' car, great fun

Yeah and it loves to drift, it's really hard to resist the temptation to slide around all over the place while trying to set a fast TT time, the car just wants to play all the time.

cluck
30-01-2016, 17:47
will try again later but did a 2m27.999 lap on my 3rd lap (I was 0.4s down at S1 on that lap compared to the previous lap :rolleyes: ). As you say, it's a LOT of fun to drive and requires discipline not to have fun and actually nail a good lap.

Invincible
30-01-2016, 17:51
It is a hoot to drive! As good as I expected it to be. :D
Only downside is that it is pretty useless against the mono.

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 18:12
It is a hoot to drive! As good as I expected it to be. :D
Only downside is that it is pretty useless against the mono.

I might try the Mono on the same track then, just figured as this car and track came together in the DLC that it might be a popular combo to TT.

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 18:27
I'll upload a video of my lap but it might take a while with my broadband speed :( it should be a pretty easy time to beat as I did it on lap 1 so wasn't up to top speed when I past the start/finish line.

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 18:33
will try again later but did a 2m27.999 lap on my 3rd lap (I was 0.4s down at S1 on that lap compared to the previous lap :rolleyes: ). As you say, it's a LOT of fun to drive and requires discipline not to have fun and actually nail a good lap.

That's a good time for your 3rd lap.

cluck
30-01-2016, 20:10
Just did a few more laps (about 5 or 6) and posted a 2m26.1 time. Messed up the last corner, otherwise it would have been a 2m25. I reckon mid 2m25 times are doable with a little bit more practice. Totally default setup, manual shifting with clutch and no ABS etc.

I have driven a few laps of the track now, just hadn't really thrown the KTM around it. It's a LOT of fun :).

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 20:16
Just did a few more laps (about 5 or 6) and posted a 2m26.1 time. Messed up the last corner, otherwise it would have been a 2m25. I reckon mid 2m25 times are doable with a little bit more practice. Totally default setup, manual shifting with clutch and no ABS etc.

I have driven a few laps of the track now, just hadn't really thrown the KTM around it. It's a LOT of fun :).

Nice work! I'll check out your ghost tomorrow. And yeah, throwing that thing around it is fun!

cluck
30-01-2016, 20:18
To be honest, given what my first lap was (a 2m30 :o) I was wondering whether I was even going to get close to your time :). I'll give it another go later to see if I can get that last corner right.

Worth noting that you will not get your fastest lap on the 1st lap. Not because of the cold brakes, but because of the slow starting speed. I was 0.2s up before the first right-hand bend on my lap after that 2m26.19 lap. Hence why I know mid 2m25 times are perfectly within reach with a few more laps under my belt. Just takes a lot of discipline to keep away from the fun pedal :D.

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 20:24
Haha yeah I know, it's real hard to hold back in the name of grip! I should definitely be able to go faster on a flying lap if I can put a good clean one together.

Ripgroove
30-01-2016, 21:48
Added my lap video to my first post.

Krus Control
31-01-2016, 03:30
Just put in a 2:24.951. Minimal tuning. Most of what I did was I lowered ride height to 80 front, 85 rear and raised rear bump stop to 30. I'm thinking that 2:23.xxx is possible but I think it would take some practice.

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 06:20
Just put in a 2:24.951. Minimal tuning. Most of what I did was I lowered ride height to 80 front, 85 rear and raised rear bump stop to 30. I'm thinking that 2:23.xxx is possible but I think it would take some practice.

Woah nice! Is that all the tuning you did?

cluck
31-01-2016, 11:05
Nice time Krus :). Just ran a bodged 2m25.4 lap. I hit the left-side of the last bridge and lost 0.3s in an instant - at that point I was 1s up against my previous time (2m26.1). 2m24 is definitely a default setup target time that, with some patience, I can match I'm sure.

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 11:24
I'm at 2:25.039 now. On a good lap I'm faster than Krus on all but 2 corners, there's definitely a 2:23.xx in there somewhere if any of us can string together the perfect lap.

SlowBloke
31-01-2016, 11:49
And there I was ecstatic with my 2:31... /cry

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 11:52
And there I was ecstatic with my 2:31... /cry

I've probably done around 100 laps now though mind you! lol

SlowBloke
31-01-2016, 12:18
ok feel a bit better now :)

Krus Control
31-01-2016, 12:31
Woah nice! Is that all the tuning you did?

I did more small changes that I don't remember.

cluck
31-01-2016, 13:29
As is typically the way with myself, I messed up one sector and ended up with an almost identical time to Ripgroove (it might even have been an identical time, it was VERY close). Near perfect lap for me, right now, would be a 2m34.5 retaining the default setup, manual clutch, no driver aids and damage enabled.

EDIT : Just double-checked and yep, it was an identical time :D. 2m25.039.

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 13:31
As is typically the way with myself, I messed up one sector and ended up with an almost identical time to Ripgroove (it might even have been an identical time, it was VERY close). Near perfect lap for me, right now, would be a 2m34.5 retaining the default setup, manual clutch, no driver aids and damage enabled.

EDIT : Just double-checked and yep, it was an identical time :D. 2m25.039.

It can be so frustrating, we could clearly all go faster if we could just pull it all together for 1 lap lol

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 13:37
That's spooky that it's the EXACT same time!

RomKnight
31-01-2016, 13:59
Impossible to make decent times on this car.

We tried to race it but we found ourselves drifting it around the corners after a couple of laps! Even I did and I don't know wow lol

cluck
31-01-2016, 14:04

We tried to race it but we found ourselves drifting it around the corners after a couple of laps! Even I did and I don't know wow lolNot impossible Tiago, just requires a certain 'discipline' :D. It's all too easy (and addictive!) to put the back end out but a little less enthusiasm with the fun pedal means you can get round quite a few corners a lot faster :).

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 14:19

We tried to race it but we found ourselves drifting it around the corners after a couple of laps! Even I did and I don't know wow lol

My fastest laps with this car/track have all contained a little drifting, the key is keep it to such a small amount that you can just about gently slide the car to help you point it through the apex and to where you want to exit by feathering the throttle, in my case the drifting is so small it's right on the borderline of grip. And that's only on some corners, not all, most corners it's faster if you don't drift at all.

RomKnight
31-01-2016, 14:28
I didn't meant like riding on the edge by drifting a bit but actually provoke it to drift around every corner to the point of getting orange(ish) tyres :)

PS:i don't like discipline lol

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 15:08
I didn't meant like riding on the edge by drifting a bit but actually provoke it to drift around every corner to the point of getting orange(ish) tyres :)

PS:i don't like discipline lol

Haha well yes that's not the way to get a fast time lol.

cluck
31-01-2016, 15:38
2m24.540 with a few errors still :(.

All with default setup, no driver aids, manual clutch, h-shifter and damage enabled.

I'll revise my earlier comments and suggest that a 2m23 time is doable with default setup, even by a ham-fisted driver like myself. I might give it another go later and see how close I get to it.

Ripgroove
31-01-2016, 16:24
2m24.540 with a few errors still :(.

All with default setup, no driver aids, manual clutch, h-shifter and damage enabled.

I'll revise my earlier comments and suggest that a 2m23 time is doable with default setup, even by a ham-fisted driver like myself. I might give it another go later and see how close I get to it.

Haha well done. I doubt I'll get time now until next weekend to get some decent laps in.

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 08:02
Well that's just rude, we have the exact same time and you've taken second spot, even though I set the time first! lol

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/PeteCup/PC/9246FA6C-0DF9-4682-9CD6-BB7E5030BC09.png_zpsopzyztpu.jpeg

Ian Bell
01-02-2016, 08:03
Well that's just rude, we have the exact same time and you've taken second spot, even though I set the time first! lol

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/PeteCup/PC/9246FA6C-0DF9-4682-9CD6-BB7E5030BC09.png_zpsopzyztpu.jpeg

Agreed, very rude. He was slightly better looking though, which sealed it.

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 08:13
Agreed, very rude. He was slightly better looking though, which sealed it.

Haha well OK then.

MysterG
01-02-2016, 09:07
Moot point.

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 09:13
Moot point.

Haha nice!

cluck
01-02-2016, 15:17
Agreed, very rude. He was slightly better looking though, which sealed it.Your tenner is in the post Ian :yes:

Not sure how it's worked out when two laptimes are identical like that. Is it as simple as alphabetical order?

MysterG
01-02-2016, 15:48
Your tenner is in the post Ian :yes:

Not sure how it's worked out when two laptimes are identical like that. Is it as simple as alphabetical order?

Maybe it takes assists into account? Probably just some random programmatical thing though.

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 15:53
Maybe it takes assists into account? Probably just some random programmatical thing though.

I use zero assists usually but for some reason had auto clutch on.

Sloskimo
01-02-2016, 16:06
Your tenner is in the post Ian :yes:

Don't think so, I've had this happen before with a guy whose nick started with an A, and I was on top. Might be who sets the time first, dunno.

Amazing times btw, I cannot drive this car properly, not saying I can drive any car properly. but this one is worse :)

cluck
01-02-2016, 16:44
Don't think so, I've had this happen before with a guy whose nick started with an A, and I was on top. Might be who sets the time first, dunno.

Amazing times btw, I cannot drive this car properly, not saying I can drive any car properly. but this one is worse :)Must be alphabetical then as Ripgroove definitely set his time before me :).

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 16:50

Amazing times btw, I cannot drive this car properly, not saying I can drive any car properly. but this one is worse :)

Can't be, I set the time first but ended up lower! It doesn't matter anyway, I bet it doesn't happen that often.

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 16:51
Must be alphabetical then as Ripgroove definitely set his time before me :).

Yeah and now you've gone and taken 1st place! Well done by the way, I'll have another pop at it over the next weekend.

cluck
01-02-2016, 17:02
I'll probably give it another go tonight, just to see if I can keep composed enough to shave the last few tenths off that I believe I should be capable of doing, then I'll just move on to another combo. Had a bit of fun with the Ford Falcon at Bathurst yesterday aswell and there's a few tenths I can save there.

I know I could change the setup to try and go faster but my own personal challenge is to see what's possible to wring out of a car on default setup :).

Ripgroove
01-02-2016, 17:07
I'll probably give it another go tonight, just to see if I can keep composed enough to shave the last few tenths off that I believe I should be capable of doing, then I'll just move on to another combo. Had a bit of fun with the Ford Falcon at Bathurst yesterday aswell and there's a few tenths I can save there.

I know I could change the setup to try and go faster but my own personal challenge is to see what's possible to wring out of a car on default setup :).

Think I'll also put mine back to standard as I'm usually all about the default setup and more often than not unless I can find the time to sit and tyre tune the suspension (which can take 2hrs at the very least and constantly test tuning setups 9 times out of 10 I'm probably doing more harm than good by just randomly tweaking settings.

Sloskimo
01-02-2016, 17:12
Must be alphabetical then as Ripgroove definitely set his time before me :).

Nope: http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard/event?event=21

Look at number 72 and 73, 146 and 147. Perhaps it changed in the meantime, but it is (or was) not alpahbetical. Not that it really matters :)
I've had it change actually before, one day I was on top, the other, not so much anymore.

Silraed
01-02-2016, 17:15

It is sometimes a little hard to believe what you can get out of those default setups. It can be disheartening sometimes :o.

cluck
01-02-2016, 17:45
It is sometimes a little hard to believe what you can get out of those default setups. It can be disheartening sometimes :o.As I've said many a time, if I can do it then anybody can :). I'm not trying to be funny but I'm more Clarkson* than Prost, a ham-fisted, lead-footed oaf that cares not for grace and flair. I know some drivers take a more methodical "start slowly and build from there" approach. I'm the polar opposite of that in that I take a car and throw it around the first corner at a speed I hope it might go round it at. Depending on the outcome of that corner I will either start the lap again or attack the next corner even harder :D. I derive no pleasure from driving slowly :).

* at least, certainly his on-screen driving persona

MysterG
01-02-2016, 18:01
As I've said many a time, if I can do it then anybody can :).

I can't..... I spent a while today with your ghost, and managed a best of about 2:28, although I must have cut a corner as it never registered :( ... so my best is 2:32 :rolleyes:

TBH I got stick of watching you consistently pull away from me after the first bend ... I never stood a chance .... not once :teapot:

Good job I don't actually give a monkeys about times though really. It was much fun regardless :cool:

cluck
01-02-2016, 18:15
Good job I don't actually give a monkeys about times though really. It was much fun regardless :cool:That's the name of the game :yes:

(except that's a lie. The name of the game is Project CARS, not "much fun regardless". Perhaps the next game should be called "Much Fun Regardless", it might sell 10x as many copies as people will be more curious to know what the game is about. I'll PM my idea to Ian and see what he thinks.)

Silraed
01-02-2016, 19:34
I have hit that brick wall that seems to pop up at some point that seems to stop you improving your time. Best I can get is a low 2:31, I'll throw some more time at it tomorrow and see if I can improve. Maybe try a reckless new approach ;).
I just noticed the leaderboard is showing me as using a custom setup but I can't for the life of me remember even opening the setup menu for this car. Not that it really matters.

cluck
01-02-2016, 20:12
I'll try and walk you through a lap, the way I drive it. Bear in mind, this is from memory so might be wrong.

As the timer hands over control, at the start of the session, bury the throttle and get up into 6th gear around the S/F line. It's a long drag down to the first left-hander so take a moment to grab a breath and relax, the next 2 and a bit minutes are going to be a little hectic :D

Still in 6th gear, turn in earlier than you think for the first left-hander, lift off the throttle and take a bit of the grass on the left - not too much or you'll get a cut track or, just as bad, lose speed. Get it right and you should exit that turn at 132-134mph. You can afford to take a smidgen of grass on the right but, again, not too much or you'll lose precious speed.

Heading down towards the right-hander, aim to brake around the point of the last 'bump' in the road, drop it into 4th and chuck the car right as hard as you can. Then bury the throttle, let the car wash out to the left, leaving a trail of smoke, hit the redline and slam it into 5th.

You're flat to the floor, in 5th, for only a second or two before it's a tap of the brakes, dropping it into 4th and then throw the car right. A gentle cut of the grass on the right (no more than that or you'll earn yourself a cut track invalid lap) and hard on the gas again.

Up to 106mph, pop it into 5th, a flick left, over the bridge and stay in 5th right up to the 1st of the two most crucial corners in the lap. Brake a lot earlier than you might think (I use the 2nd slow sign as my marker - not necessarily to brake there, but to use as a guide) and drop it into 3rd. Aim to get down to around 70mph. Then easy on the power - really easy - before you can afford to mash it again. Light up the rears, stab it into 4th and then it's hard on the power all the way down the side of the lake.

Grab 6th for a short stretch before you stab the brakes (I start timing my braking as I pass the 2nd to last light pole on the right before the bend itself), drop into 4th and fling the car left. Hard on the power, almost as soon as you've turned, let the rears light up, grab 5th and power hard up the short hill. Keep the throttle buried, start the descent down and you should see the rev limiter light light up. You can take 6th if you want but it's only going to be for about 50 yards, so stay in 5th, the engine screaming for mercy, and turn in early for the blind left-hander. The car will slide out to the right and, if you're still on the power, could spin out, so ease off the throttle until you're clear and it's then only a short stretch before you hit the village.

Brake hard, drop it down into 3rd and turn hard left into the village. Get straight on the power, hard, and quickly grab 4th. You should hit 5th just before the first closed off junction on the left. Keep the power down and take the narrow kink flat out and leave the village still hard on the power.

Ease off the throttle and fling the car left, still in 5th, and pick your moment to get back on the power (although you need to ease the power in here for best results). You should naturally wash out to the right and just stay on the track.

Dropping down the hill for the esses, drop it into 4th and gently take the car left, then right, very gently on the throttle. You don't want to spin the tyres here or provoke understeer. You can get onto the kerbs without losing much (if any speed) as you get onto the bridge.

Then it's hard on the power and time to decide if you're a man or a mouse. The kinks at the bottom of the hill can be taken flat out if you dare but you've got to get the line spot on. It's a proper bum-clencher. The second of those you'll be taking in 6th gear and likely in mid-air. Grinning like a loon.

Drop a gear, into 5th and take the right onto the third, and last, bridge. Don't attack it too hard or you'll lose a lot of speed with wheelspin. Ease the throttle in and you should get great traction and a lovely exit speed.

You now have just the final corner - the 2nd of the two crucial corners to get right - between you and the finish line. Get it right and glory awaits. Get it wrong and you'll be buying a new fence for the house owner.

Leave the corner, hard on the power, bury the throttle and fly across the line.

That's your 2m24 lap right there :).

EDIT : My apologies for the 'wall of text' first edition of this. I was just trying to get my thoughts down as I ran through the lap in my head :o.

MysterG
01-02-2016, 20:42
Wall of text

From memory .... you have done a lot of laps haven't you.
One thing immediately obvious to me ... I never get into 6th :livid:

I have managed to get down to 2:29 now though .... I really don't care about times .... honest .... maybe just one more go ...

cluck
01-02-2016, 20:59
From memory .... you have done a lot of laps haven't you.
One thing immediately obvious to me ... I never get into 6th :livid:

I have managed to get down to 2:29 now though .... I really don't care about times .... honest .... maybe just one more go ...Not that many really, it's just fresh in my mind :).

EDIT : I suppose it wouldn't help if I said that my first lap was a 2m30 would it :o. I also have no doubt that somebody who is a little less, erm, 'exuberant' with the loud pedal can put down a quicker time. That doesn't bother me in the slightest. My only goal is to do the best that I can and, as yet, I still haven't done that in this car on this track. My ideal time is probably a VERY low 2m24 lap, possibly just nudging into 2m23s. I just hope I don't do that time and spot a mistake or I will just want to beat myself. Erm. That didn't come out right.

Silraed
01-02-2016, 23:22
Well what do you know, down to a 2:28:045! Pretty scrappy lap as well I could probably make another half a second easy. I felt like I was really abusing the car though to the point I almost felt sorry for it :rolleyes:.

cluck
02-02-2016, 23:13
I was going to go to bed but I couldn't resist another crack at this track. Had I not screwed up the last corner - before which I was 0.5s up on the previous best lap (2m24.4xx) - I would have done a 2m23 lap at last. As it was I've had to settle for a 2m24.247 time. Getting so very very close now to the point at which I can call it a day at this track in this car with default setup.

Krus Control
03-02-2016, 06:32
I dialed in a setup. This car has a sweet spot with setup for me. I really love this car after having played around with different aspects. I set a 2:23.784. I think I could go .5 faster if I put the laps in. It actually might be possible to go 2:22.9. Would take lots of laps.

cluck
03-02-2016, 07:43
I dialed in a setup. This car has a sweet spot with setup for me. I really love this car after having played around with different aspects. I set a 2:23.784. I think I could go .5 faster if I put the laps in. It actually might be possible to go 2:22.9. Would take lots of laps.Nice time :yes:.

I was thinking about where I lost time during my last lap and I reckon your time is the absolute limit of my ability in default setup. No idea if I'll ever do it but I'm not going to stop until I at least get under 2m24 :D.

If I could be bothered, I'd watch your ghost, but I actually find ghosts distracting, especially when there's only a tenth or so in it.

Krus Control
03-02-2016, 08:01
Yeah the default setups definitely have their limits. The ones in this latest DLC are the best and most competitive IMO. They're funky but you can still go fast with them.

MysterG
03-02-2016, 08:34
Nice time :yes:.

I was thinking about where I lost time during my last lap and I reckon your time is the absolute limit of my ability in default setup. No idea if I'll ever do it but I'm not going to stop until I at least get under 2m24 :D.

If I could be bothered, I'd watch your ghost, but I actually find ghosts distracting, especially when there's only a tenth or so in it.

I like Ghosts they help me. But I have discovered there is no point in me going for one much faster than my time. I have better results picking one a second or so faster, then when I've caught up consistently pick another slightly faster one.

SlowBloke
03-02-2016, 09:05
I like Ghosts they help me. But I have discovered there is no point in me going for one much faster than my time. I have better results picking one a second or so faster, then when I've caught up consistently pick another slightly faster one.

This exactly - that approach got me down from 2:35 to 2:32 to 2:31 to 2:29 and last night 2:28.1 and now Im starting on following the 2:26's.

Following the mega fast guys means you lose them with a few corners and then you cant learn. First 2 corners alone gained me more than 2 seconds learning this way.

Ripgroove
06-02-2016, 15:36
Just got #1 again by only 00:00:058 using the H-Pattern shifter instead of the paddles :cool:

Krus Control
06-02-2016, 20:19
Nice. I might attack this again. I'm pretty certain a 2:22.9 is possible. 2:23.7 definitely represents a certain threshold that is tough to cross. This track is really fun for time trials. It always seems to stay interesting for me.

Ripgroove
06-02-2016, 20:35
Nice. I might attack this again. I'm pretty certain a 2:22.9 is possible. 2:23.7 definitely represents a certain threshold that is tough to cross. This track is really fun for time trials. It always seems to stay interesting for me.

I think the fact it's mostly a fast flowing fun track is keeping me interested in it, there are still a couple of corners I need to figure out though. For me at least it's getting real hard to go much faster due to the fact I can never seem to nail every corner perfectly in 1 lap. I think if any of us can pull our own perfect lap together there is definitely some quicker times to be had.

I actually fancied a change earlier and took the Caterham R500 and the BAC Mono around there, with a bit of work I could set some good times with the R500 but I couldn't get on with the Mono for some reason. The KTM seems to really suit that track, just a shame I don't ever get to use its 6th gear!

Krus Control
06-02-2016, 20:41
I think the fact it's mostly a fast flowing fun track is keeping me interested in it, there are still a couple of corners I need to figure out though. For me at least it's getting real hard to go much faster due to the fact I can never seem to nail every corner perfectly in 1 lap. I think if any of us can pull our own perfect lap together there is definitely some quicker times to be had.

I actually fancied a change earlier and took the Caterham R500 and the BAC Mono around there, with a bit of work I could set some good times with the R500 but I couldn't get on with the Mono for some reason. The KTM seems to really suit that track, just a shame I don't ever get to use its 6th gear!

Yeah a lot of the corners are really intuitive and are tough to find the fastest way around. I feel like with a lot of tracks, and Nordschleife comes to mind here, the geometry and flow is very restricted and wrapping a car around certain turns can be a pain. It's like the designers made is so that there is no good way around certain turns. Bannochbrae isn't like that. It's really open and the best way through a lot of turns is to just throw a car in like crazy. I can't think of any real world tracks like that.

mulkkensson
20-05-2016, 18:27
Looks like you guys having fun with this combo, so i may try it. I haven't tried KTM at all yet :D

pippinfort
01-08-2016, 12:51
Have you tried throwing an LMP class around this track?

Much fun!