PDA

View Full Version : Controller vs steering wheel

i-am-the-stig
30-01-2016, 21:35
Why has someone using a controller got an advantage over some one using a steering wheel you can see them with there front wheels moving all over the place going round corners but the manage to over take you

Udd-
30-01-2016, 23:48
They don't

i-am-the-stig
31-01-2016, 00:35
Why is it so easy to use a controller now then it used to be when the game was released

RobMUFC1987
31-01-2016, 22:54
It's not easier or harder. People have just figured out controller settings and car set up. Like I said in the other thread, a wheel doesn't make you automatically faster than a pad, you have to get used to it

AbeWoz
31-01-2016, 23:23
I've been playing with a controller the past few days since I'm in the middle of moving and my wheel is in storage and it took some real time to get used to. Now it's only been a few days so I'm not as quick or smooth as I am with the wheel but I'm getting there. Getting the proper set up really helps too. I found a thread on here (can't remember who wrote it) that really really helped with controller settings.
Looking forward to getting my wheel set up again tho.

Salty Dog
01-02-2016, 07:36
One thing with a controller is i recon you can physically move your fingers faster than people can turn wheels and use pedals, it might only be milliseconds but i recon it might make a difference.

Arthur Ritus
01-02-2016, 12:22
A controller gives you the ability to turn from full lock one way to full lock the other way in the blink of an eye whereas you can't do that with a wheel.

Djuvinile
01-02-2016, 12:24
I think it has pro's and con's. i absolutely prefer my wheel for driving Pcars, the feeling and realism is much better imo. that said, i think you can easily be as fast as a wheel driver (or even faster) using your DS4. For example i tried oulton park with a clio cup (no assist, real settings) in free practice.. after 12 laps, i felt i coudnt go any faster with my wheel in bumpercam view manual shift. Then disconnected my wheel, and tried the same with DS4 in chasecam this time automatically shift. it took me only 4 laps to be faster (0.5 sec of my best wheel time). All right, the tire's showed some more wear (not much) but other than that i think a DS4 can always beat a wheel and yes thats annoying..

i-am-the-stig
02-02-2016, 08:27
This game is supposed to be a sim racer if you wiggled you wheels about it would slow you down and it doesn't

RobMUFC1987
02-02-2016, 12:46
This game is supposed to be a sim racer if you wiggled you wheels about it would slow you down and it doesn't

But it does. Race someone at Monza with a pad. You'll scrub a bit of speed between the 1st and 2nd Chicane and you'll be slow coming out of Parabolica. You're just butthurt that you're not automatically faster because you have a wheel

Sankyo
02-02-2016, 13:01
But it does. Race someone at Monza with a pad. You'll scrub a bit of speed between the 1st and 2nd Chicane and you'll be slow coming out of Parabolica. You're just butthurt that you're not automatically faster because you have a wheel
Drop the 'butthurt' usage please, it won't help the discussion at all.

Sankyo
02-02-2016, 13:02
A controller gives you the ability to turn from full lock one way to full lock the other way in the blink of an eye whereas you can't do that with a wheel.
Except that in pCARS there's a limit to how fast the steering reacts to such instant lock-to-lock movements.

Sixer
02-02-2016, 13:22
What about just giving online rooms some more structure?

Wheel rooms
Controller rooms
Open rooms

PureMalt77
03-02-2016, 14:02
There are a lot of variables on this subject.
I will take out the car setup and "learning curve" of adapting yourself to the pad.

I was racing in a league with both pad + wheel players and was asking myself many times how the top drivers were so fast on a pad. Until someone posted a quick lap on Youtube which I used to compare (it was the Formula Renault), and started wondering how the driver could brake so late and go on the throttle so quick still managing to hold the car. It went all to assists allowed. I was using Real assists and this car has none of them, but the league allowed ABS+ST. So for experience, I turned on both assists and voilá, could beat the times.

Don't get me wrong here, there are a lot of good, clean and fast drivers out there using pads.

But in average, when it comes down to no assists the wheel drivers will have an advantage IMO and will usually drive faster and the car will be more "forgiving" with ST and TC on, and that will make a huge difference especially with the older cars. Take the Lotus 98T or the BMW Group 5 with zero assists and real clutch- H-shifter on both pad and wheel to Imola and you will have an idea!

Controller apart, even the camera used will have an influence. For instance the top camera will give you a much better view of the track, you don't suffer so much from blind spots in tracks such as Laguna Seca.

As someone already said, is about the realism you are looking for. I like cockpit view with real assists (and yes, will use ABS/TC on a GT3 car if that gives me faster lap times!). But when racing with people that will use assists where they do not exist, I don't want to be in disadvantage either.

Stevesixty7
03-02-2016, 20:51
Using a wheel and pedals set up for me is all about the game being a more enjoyable and realistic experience, it doesn't bother me if I'm beaten by a pad user. Each to their own I suppose, but I wouldn't get anywhere near the same level of enjoyment using a pad, in fact I doubt I'd play it if that was my only option.

hkraft300
05-02-2016, 07:26
I can be faster than most wheel users with the DS4.
But its not all about outright lap times. No assists on the gamepad is much more punishing. If I sneeze on corner exit I might oversteer and correction is a lot more difficult than a wheel might be.
Threshold braking is harder: I'll often have to back brake pressure to <85%.
Gamepad is at a definite disadvantage to a wheel in a sim. Like driving a real car with thumb sticks.
That said: its not impossible and can be done.

Tez
06-02-2016, 16:45
Got to say I hold my hat of to the guys who use the pad and beat times on the wheel,just couldn't do it myself.By the way I am on ps4 not pc.