PDA

View Full Version : Fanatec CSR Wheel stopped working

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 16:13
I first got Project Cars PS4 last week. After figuring out that I had to turn on my CSR Wheel at the start screen, everything started to work really well. Then this morning I started having issues with my wheel getting disconnected while I am racing. At first it happened about once per race then every minute then every 5 seconds. Eventually my wheel did not reconnect at all.. I tried everything... unplugged everything, restarted from scratch many times... nothing will do. My wheel is no longer recognized at all by the game even in the start screen. I tried booting up Forza Motorsport on my X-Box 360 and it works just fine. I am not sure what to do... The only thing I can think of is maybe erasing all game data but I would lose my progress... Any advice?

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 16:22
I would try a different USB slot and/or cable to eliminate those first mate.

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 16:35
I would try a different USB slot and/or cable to eliminate those first mate.

I did try that too... forgot to mention it:)

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 16:41
Ok!

Are you using the latest wheel firmware, is the wheel still going into PC mode and can you test it on a PC via the Fanatec drivers?

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 16:44
Ok!

Are you using the latest wheel firmware, is the wheel still going into PC mode and can you test it on a PC via the Fanatec drivers?

I have the latest drivers and the wheel is going into PC mode. It just vibrates and that's it. The n character no longer appears in the center of the wheel.

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 16:48
Can you test it on a PC, see what happens?

Sankyo
31-01-2016, 17:05
Try resetting all wheel/controls settings in the game (main Controls screen), then re-assign and re-calibrate.

Do you have any other games on the PS4 that you can try? Doesn't have to be a driving/racing game.

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 18:09
Do you have any other games on the PS4 that you can try? Doesn't have to be a driving/racing game.

You have me intrigued there, Remco... how would you go about doing that?

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 18:12
Can you test it on a PC, see what happens?

I have to setup Bootcamp on my Mac... I removed it recently...

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 18:13
Try resetting all wheel/controls settings in the game (main Controls screen), then re-assign and re-calibrate.

I went into the game but the wheel settings are no longer there since my wheel is no longer detected. I tried booting up Need for Speed Rivals but my wheel wasn't detected either... I never tried that game with my wheel though so I have no idea if it works or not...

My wheel definitely works on XBox 360 though... very odd..

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 18:21
My wheel definitely works on XBox 360 though... very odd..

Well, your wheel and 360 connect wirelessly, so they might work perfecty... whereas you are connecting to the PS4 or PC with the USB cable. The issue may well lie either with the wheel or console, hardware/software/firmware...

Could you try a database rebuild on the PS4 as well mate.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/55345-heres-how-to-rebuild-database-on-your-playstation-4/

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 18:51
Well, your wheel and 360 connect wirelessly, so they might work perfecty... whereas you are connecting to the PS4 or PC with the USB cable. The issue may well lie either with the wheel or console, hardware/software/firmware...

Could you try a database rebuild on the PS4 as well mate.

http://www.bidnessetc.com/55345-heres-how-to-rebuild-database-on-your-playstation-4/

So I did the following:
- used a different USB cable
- erase all my game data
- do a DB rebuild

still not working... What do you suggest I do next? A full PS4 initialize?

One thing that was odd is that after I rebuilt the database, the PS4 started downloading a bunch of updates for a bunch of games and apps all at once but not for Project Cars (I have 8.0).

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 19:08
You could try a full console reset and also re-flash the wheel firmware if you can. Are you definitely running firmware rev.756 on the wheel at the moment?

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 19:10
I am running 756 but I actually just noticed that there is a 757 that just came out... I wonder if that's the issue... I'll try updating to that...

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 19:16
The 757 update is for the Elite wheel, you want the updated 756 (if it is the CSR Wheel that you have).

I'm pretty sure that the update is simply rectifying an issue with outdated files for the updater though.. certainly won't harm to re-flash the wheel.. with the correct firmware of course!;)

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 19:25
The 757 update is for the Elite wheel, you want the updated 756 (if it is the CSR Wheel that you have).

I'm pretty sure that the update is simply rectifying an issue with outdated files for the updater though.. certainly won't harm to re-flash the wheel.. with the correct firmware of course!;)

well... this is really weird... I updated the firmware to 757 and it fixed the issue! The thing is... you're right.. it's for the Elite wheel and my wheel is not the Elite (as far as I know but I bought it on craigslist so I'm 100% sure).

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 19:31
Does your wheel look like this one? -

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 19:37
no it looks like this:226517. Do I have an Elite?

Sankyo
31-01-2016, 19:38
You have me intrigued there, Remco... how would you go about doing that?
Well your wheel is just a controller with axes and buttons. Any game that allows axes and buttons to be assigned then can be used to check functionality :)

Sankyo
31-01-2016, 19:39
no it looks like this:226517. Do I have an Elite?
That's a normal CSR. I recommend flashing to its 756 firmware, because using the Elite 757 firmware may cause unpredictable results. Download links here: http://www.fanatec.com/eu-de/support/product;old_product_id;62

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 19:41
OK, it is indeed a CSR... I would be installing the correct firmware post haste if I were you. It sounds like you've had a firmware issue, hopefully a gremlin and not symptomatic of an issue with the ROM chip inside the wheel!

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 19:46
yeah maybe I just needed to reinstall the firmware on that wheel... I'll revert...

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 19:47
OK, it is indeed a CSR... I would be installing the correct firmware post haste if I were you. It sounds like you've had a firmware issue, hopefully a gremlin and not symptomatic of an issue with the ROM chip inside the wheel!

is the rom chip replaceable or?

Sankyo
31-01-2016, 19:50
Only by a complete main PCB swap.

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 19:50

It would be pretty terminal for the wheel I'm afraid as it won't save settings and the firmware can get easily corrupted, unless you could source and fit a replacement main PCB yourself... let's not go there just yet!

EDIT : Is there an echo in here... here... here... :D

FranckDG
31-01-2016, 22:55
Hi,

so I am back playing but now my gated shifter does not work. Instead the car shifts to 6th automatically when starting a race so I have to use the paddle shifters. If I disconnect the shifter then it stop switching to 6th at the beginning of the race. Also I got disconnected 2 to 3 times but it seems less frequent. Am I the only one having these issues?

Thanks!

Sum Dixon-Ear
31-01-2016, 23:15
Have you recalibrated the shifter to the wheel?

FranckDG
01-02-2016, 01:47
My bad... I completely forgot about that. Thanks!

FranckDG
02-02-2016, 22:18
After reinstalling the firmware, everything worked great for a few hours then I started having disconnection issues again and eventually the same issue where the wheel is no longer recognized at all. Do you think this is the rom chip issue you were referring to? The thing is the wheel works just fine on XBox 360 and PS3 when it stops working on PS4...

Sum Dixon-Ear
02-02-2016, 22:30
It could still be an issue with the console's USB ports, you'll really need to test it on a PC to be sure whether the wheel has a fault or not.

FranckDG
02-02-2016, 22:33
It could still be an issue with the console's USB ports, you'll really need to test it on a PC to be sure whether the wheel has a fault or not.

When I was testing it on a PC the other day when it was no longer working on PS4, it was working fine although I just tried the Fanatec test software not an actual game. I tried both PS4 console ports already..

Sum Dixon-Ear
02-02-2016, 22:50
I would try a game and give the wheel a more thorough test on your PC mate.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely certain, you are booting pCARS with the controller, then putting the wheel into PC mode and subsequently starting the game with the wheel's 'X' button?

FranckDG
03-02-2016, 01:27
I would try a game and give the wheel a more thorough test on your PC mate.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely certain, you are booting pCARS with the controller, then putting the wheel into PC mode and subsequently starting the game with the wheel's 'X' button?

Yes this is exactly what I do. I'll have to find a PC driving game somewhere and try it out.