PDA

View Full Version : Difference in lap times PC versus PS4 using same wheel.

craste
31-01-2016, 20:27
Check out the lap time below of PC versus PS4 drivers.

Would be nice to get some feedback on here from people who have Project Cars on both PC and PS4 and if their lap times are slower on the ps4 version too.

Using the same wheel is the difference in feel night and day (better on PC) between each version?

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=108&t=1514290&i=1580

RAVEracer
31-01-2016, 22:33
Not sure why PS4 lap times are so slow there, I'm on PS4 and the best I've gotten so far is a 2:08.4 on hards and without changing gear ratios.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
31-01-2016, 22:41
My guess is that at least partially lag on consoles is to blame, and I doubt there's anything SMS can do about it. All of the measurements I've ever seen done on console games total system lag times (from controller press to on-screen action) has been incredibly slow, the fastest games (fighting games usually) have been twice as laggy as pCARS is on my PC (over 80 ms for Killer Instinct and 85 ms for Ultra Street Fighter IV on consoles vs. ~40 ms for pCARS on my PC). This amount of latency isn't necessarily catastrophic, but it can definitely have a negative impact on the feel and responsiveness of your driving, often leading to unnecessary amounts of steering lock used through corners and could cause you to be slower as well.

And indeed, it seems that there's something in the way these consoles are operating that seems to cause these issues, because no game so far has seemed to be able to get close to response times on the PC, I doubt SMS could do absolutely anything about it.

PureMalt77
31-01-2016, 23:00
In the other hand I've seen some PS4 LB times blow away the best on Steam, but since not the same driver, is hard to compare anything. Check out one of the races we did recently: Zolder and the Mercedes C DTM, is almost 3s! Easy to see on PS4 as this car has the best times in its category. On Steam, well, you got a website! ;)

Krus Control
31-01-2016, 23:47
I have yet to see compelling evidence that this is true. Though I have seen a lot of people making the claim that there is a difference between platforms. A good place to look is the events. And from what I've seen it's the same or very similar laptimes on all platforms in those events.

McKiernan
01-02-2016, 00:32
All I know is I'm at least a second quicker on the PC version at Watkins Glen GP than I was on the PS4. I suspect that if there is any difference between consoles that the cause is what Jussi said above, input lag. I strongly suspect it was also input lag that were effecting tyre heating issues on consoles after patch 6.

craste
01-02-2016, 16:52
Thanks for the replies guys.

Wish there was somebody on here who had both (PC and PS4) who could do a test though!!

Doge
01-02-2016, 17:48
I doubt thereīs such a handicap for console users, and if there is it is probable insignificant. Iīm a PS4 player and most times I have done a league race in a given combo, when I had a look at Steam Leaderboards afterwards I was either driving faster than top time, even if the cooling levels and tyre pressures had race day in mind instead of 1-lap pace.

Surely if the PC game was faster per se that woudnīt ever be happening. But go figure, as someone said before, unless you put the same guy driving for a good while on both versions, you canīt be sure about anything.

DreamsKnight
01-02-2016, 18:24
it might be interesting if SMS will introduce a test for the input lag in Pcars2. obviously to adapt the entire input system to the personal lag.

01-02-2016, 18:30
it might be interesting if SMS will introduce a test for the input lag in Pcars2. obviously to adapt the entire input system to the personal lag.I can't really think of a way to make an input lag test that doesn't rely on external gear (one that would be in any way sufficiently accurate at least), and I also can't really imagine what they could do about it that wouldn't make it worse. They could only delay it further, not speed anything up. In rhythm games that functionality is just there to sync the audio and video, but delaying the audio or FFB to an already delayed video in a racing sim wouldn't really help. =/

Tomcul
01-02-2016, 18:34
Can't be much difference the leaderboard times are mostly in and around the same.
As doge said above I too check my ps4 laptimes off steam leaderboard and can always get times in the top 10 with a bit of practice..
That's not to say that the PC might seem easier but the top times don't seem too far apart..

DreamsKnight
01-02-2016, 18:46
I can't really think of a way to make an input lag test that doesn't rely on external gear (one that would be in any way sufficiently accurate at least), and I also can't really imagine what they could do about it that wouldn't make it worse. They could only delay it further, not speed anything up. In rhythm games that functionality is just there to sync the audio and video, but delaying the audio or FFB to an already delayed video in a racing sim wouldn't really help. =/

the wii has it if i remember! why the video can't be sync with your hardware? am i missing something?

01-02-2016, 19:17
the wii has it if i remember! why the video can't be sync with your hardware? am i losting something?There will always be some lag simply due to the need to process and transfer data, which will mean that the on-screen happenings will always be slightly delayed compared to your controller inputs. The only way around this would be to predict where you're going to move your controllers before you do it, and I doubt most sim players want to take control away from themselves like that.

On the PC this lag seems to be lower than on modern consoles, for whatever reason (probably due to some OS related optimizations, but I really can't say). How much this bothers a given player is impossible to say outright, some might not notice at all, some might feel the console is a bit more sluggish, some will be instantly able to tell and have a disconnection in the feel. My previous HDTV had an input lag of about 40 ms, so with that I got a total input lag of somewhere around 80-90 ms in pCARS and other sims. I never, ever wanted to play any fast paced games with that because it just felt so bad, I ended up only using it for movies, series and slow games like Skyrim. Even just moving the mouse on the desktop felt odd with it, and I had trouble hitting icons and on-screen buttons compared to how it behaved on the other monitors. So an extra 30-50 ms can easily affect a person enough to cause problems, even if they aren't overt ones.

Zeke Bewlay
02-02-2016, 02:34
had similar discussion in another thread when talking about influence of slow TVs. My view was and still is that, with in reason, lag may not be big problem in predictable situations like a time trial where you're alone on track. I think you're brain would be be trained to act earlier to compensate for the lag. Otherwise you could never hit an apex. So I think when you're lapping alone you will learn subconsciously to anticipate when to turn and turn earlier if there is some significant lag. Problem comes in situations when something unexpected and rapid happens, like another car doing something in front you like braking unexpectedly, or your car loses grip suddenly. In that case your actions will be delayed by input lag. How significant that is in game I don't know. And it depends on how quick your reflexes are too.
I think...

KANETAKER
02-02-2016, 18:44
Something I had indeed noticed is that in the version of PS4 apparently engines or cars in general have greater acceleration and top speed compared to the PC; quite apart from the Camber Angle exploit that existed before, but not now).

Likewise, in PS4 they manage to achieve higher top speed without reducing downforce and reduce ventilation ducts brakes and radiator size.

Then I put a video comparison between two identical cars on the same track but with different settings and controls (I use a PC with a Logitech G27 Wheel, and he a T500 Wheel in your PS4, I think).

TRL_Flo In this video (PS4 version), he manages to score 310 Km / h in SPA despite using 4-4 of Downforce, without benefit of the exploit of Camber Angle (actually was -3.0 -0.2 front and back).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT3pE1yhYws

His best time was 1:58.

Here (PC version), however, I barely managed to reach the 307 km / h despite having used 2-2 of Downforce and taking advantage of the Camber Angle exploit. (both videos were published before Update 6.0).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Myx3KKdHE

My best time was barely 1:59. A second slower than TRL_Flo.

Fractured Life
02-02-2016, 19:00
I assume you measure at end of the kemmel (can't watch, connection crap), but what are your relative speeds after eau rouge. If you can stop the vids at a set line maybe he has carried extra speed through there explaining the top speed difference. There is more too it than just wings/gearing, perhaps correct camber and extra down force gets him through there already a few mph up on you.

Edit: he has about 2-3 kmph over you at the white line perpendicular to the track after eau rouge. Not sure what that would equate to by end of the straight but it's something

blankfile
02-02-2016, 19:10
Input lagg is only really an issue with large tv's and especially plasma screens. on a monitor it is extremely low, just like on pc.

02-02-2016, 21:26
Input lagg is only really an issue with large tv's and especially plasma screens. on a monitor it is extremely low, just like on pc.There are plenty of monitors on the market in the 30-50 ms region as well, and unfortunately most of the "better" ones, like 27" or larger 1440p monitors or those 21:9 ultrawides tend to fall into this category.

The vast vast majority of TVs are absolutely god awful at this sort of stuff, adding a further 50-150 ms of lag on top of the natural lag caused by whatever system you're using. And when you're on a console that gets 80+ ms input lag even on a super fast gaming screen, you need a really good TV to get under 100 ms (usually "good" coincides with "cheap", since it's all the "image enhacement" shit that causes the most lag, but even then there are only like 5 models on the market that I know of with sub-20ms input lag)...

tjezc
02-02-2016, 23:50
I believe it's fps lag. I want to share this video with you from someone from our GTA racing community to illustrate why we think that. Yes, it is a completely different game but I do believe the same theory could apply here. It gets interesting after 3 minutes.

http://youtu.be/ZY4kW0ON64U

I hope that this helps. I can't say anything for sure, but I think it's quite plausible.