PDA

View Full Version : Real World Race Circuits vs Fictional Tracks?

Warren1571
31-01-2016, 23:51
With the new DLC just released and the fictional Bannochbrae Track coming out, there's been a few off topic discussion going on in a few other threads about race circuits & fictional tracks. I'm very interested to hear what the Project Cars community prefer.

Firstly let me say the new track looks amazing, very picturesque and a great job by SMS with the visuals. Fun to drive too.

But my personal preference is for actual real world simulations of actual race circuits in a game. SMS has done an amazing job bringing a huge selection of race circuits so far and I still hope they continue to bring more. I'd prefer that they focused resources on developing real world circuits rather than more fictional stuff. Obviously licensing plays a part but lets forget about that for now.

What do you guys prefer?
1. Simulated Real World Race Circuits
2. Real world Roads
3. Fictional Tracks
4. Fictional Roads

RacingAtHome
01-02-2016, 00:04
From playing games like the Gran Turismo series, I find that some fictional tracks are better than some real circuits. I would rather have 30 fantastic but fictional circuits than 30 circuits like the Yas Marina circuit. If they decide to create about 5 circuits with multiple layouts and kart circuits, I wouldn't mind at all. They could be based anywhere for all I care.

JessicaWalter
01-02-2016, 00:05
my favorite is real world street circuits. i love monaco and rouen, and of course nords. id love to see port imperial in pcars 2. all that said, we have plenty of real circuits and i think bannochbrae is stunning and a welcome addition. as far as im concerned sms can add whatever they feel like because they haven't put a single bad track in the game yet and i trust them (not that my opinion matters, it's their game and they can do with it what they wish).

Warren1571
01-02-2016, 01:04
From playing games like the Gran Turismo series, I find that some fictional tracks are better than some real circuits. I would rather have 30 fantastic but fictional circuits than 30 circuits like the Yas Marina circuit. If they decide to create about 5 circuits with multiple layouts and kart circuits, I wouldn't mind at all. They could be based anywhere for all I care.

I think one of the key things that SMS has done with Project Cars is actually create heaps of atmosphere at the circuits to the point where they feel alive. I think that is where Gran Turismo failed badly due to whatever reasons, the real world circuits in GT5/6 all feel so lifeless and bland, hence the fictional tracks they created actually feel better in some cases.

T0MMY
01-02-2016, 02:50
I like the both circuits but some real life circuits like Yas Marina has a rather boring layout and I was never a fan of the original Suzuka. The fictional Suzuka layout we have in pCARS now is one of my favourite tracks.

As for fictional circuit like the new DLC, I would love to have more. Nice scenic roads with road cars to race on is just perfect, will be nice to have a 2-3 more tracks like this since we have a lot of licensed circuit now.

Salty Dog
01-02-2016, 03:56
Real world tracks for me in a racing game like PC, but in rally games i dont mind as much, im still totally happy to play made up tracks but i prefer the authenticity of the real thing.

Don Rudi
01-02-2016, 07:34
While Bannochbrae is a great track and fun to drive on, I prefer real world tracks. Not the modern faceless Mickey Mouse tracks, but the famous ones, like Spa, Nords, Silverstone, Daytona Road (I guess you get the point :) ).
I love to race the cars and tracks of my motorsports idols.

If there is no chance to get the license for tracks like e.g. Sebring, I would not mind seeing a slightly altered fictional track of course.

Paulo Ribeiro
01-02-2016, 08:47
What do you guys prefer?
1. Simulated Real World Race Circuits
2. Real world Roads
3. Fictional Tracks
4. Fictional Roads

However, I don't mind to blast over Bannochbrae.

Diamond_Eyes
01-02-2016, 09:45
I'm good with 3 and 4

Bannochbrae is wonderful! It's fast! With fictionals you get to play GOD and this is a stunning piece of design. Games have come a long way from Loch Rannoch-Toca 2 from back in the day.....

Also enjoy the Historic Roads: there's a lot more like Old Spa and Brno.

There seems to be some ridiculous licensing/legal stuff going on (e.g. where the fck is Mugello?) and at least fictionals get around that. Some of the real work tracks get dumbed down (ok, for "safety") like that stupid chicane before last turn at Catalunya GP and of course the dreaded Monza Turn 1 chicane & pile ups.....

Pisshead30
01-02-2016, 09:46
I personal like a good mix of everything

Invincible
01-02-2016, 09:58
I personal like a good mix of everything

I'm with you here. For me it should be like:

50% Simulated Real World Race Circuits
20% Real world Roads
15% Fictional Tracks
15% Fictional Roads

IJerichoI
01-02-2016, 10:41
The main part of the track roster should include real world tracks, as we also use real world cars and the focus of the game is racing/real motorsports.

But I don't see a problem with fictional race tracks - I had great racing at Seattle, Grand Valley and Midfield in the GT series. It is really great as they provide artistic freedom and you are able to include locations to the game normal racetracks won't offer. For me as a player it adds a welcome variety.

Also I want to have road tracks like Bannochbrae or the P2P tracks - driving super sports cars over these tracks is basically doing what they are meant for, and it could be really thrilling. I think pCars mixed this pretty well in the career.

The thing in general is that regardless what it provides - if you don't like driving the public roads, stick to the race tracks. I see street cars as a valuable addition (for trackdays, not racing), and the road tracks enhance the variety of the game.

Simple said:

70% Real tracks
20% fictional tracks
10% public roads, P2P or circuit (maybe based on real roads, but this is no must)

Spudcake
01-02-2016, 10:55
As long as a track is fun to drive/race on, I don't mind if it's real or not. As already mentioned, the Gran Tursimo series has some fantastic fictional tracks (Grand Valley Speedway, Trial Mountain, Midfield Raceway, Deep Forest Raceway, Autumn Ring, Tokyo R246). I'd actually like to see more fictional tracks in Project Cars.

maxzig
01-02-2016, 11:02
real cars with fictional tracks?

FS7
01-02-2016, 11:14
I prefer real circuits & street circuits, but I don't mind having some fictional circuits. The good thing about fictional circuits is that SMS doesn't have to worry about license issues, and they have liberty to do whatever they want to make the track interesting (eg: not worrying about FIA safety stuff, having small or no escape areas, having barriers close to the track edge, reverse layouts, etc).
As much as I like real circuits if SMS added a few more fictional circuits as good as Bannochbrae I'd be really happy.

haydnbuzz
01-02-2016, 11:18
Certainly almost entirely 1 & 2 for me. There are countless real world tracks in idyllic settings that have real atmosphere. Some are certainly lesser known but that just adds to the character if you ask me and I presume obtaining a the license for these may also be far cheaper than more well known circuits. For me PCars has plenty of car content and I'd like to see focus shifting to adding both contemporary and historic track content. I'd love to see circuits such as Mas du Clos, Johor, Rijeka, Ahvenisto which are all set in superb surroundings. I'm sure others can name many more real life locations such as these and the list could just continue. If real world content was developed I'd certainly be supporting that kind of content but personally fictional tracks/circuits just feel like a poor effort to me, personally I just can't get excited about them.

KkDrummer
01-02-2016, 11:23
Real and street circuits for me.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
01-02-2016, 12:30
I think I'd go as follows:

50% Fictional Roads
49% Real Roads
1% Real Tracks (in essence: I want Nordschleife, not that bothered about the rest)
0% Fictional Tracks (Not that I'm against them at all, but I have no desire for them either. If they turn out great, then sure, why not. Live For Speed and Gran Turismo have had some fantastic fictional tracks in them.)

Now, why a higher bias for Fictional Roads? I think this is more of a practicality thing than anything else: Making a long P2P road is insanely expensive. And in real life it can often be the situation that to get to all the interesting bits you need to drive really long distances, and have a lot of fluff in the middle. So leaving open this clause enables the developer to do something similar to how California Highway was done, and use real road portions but condense everything into a more interesting and compact track that's more realistic for them to develop.

So basically the reason I put Fictional Roads ahead of Real Roads is because I think fictional ones are in some ways more likely to actually get done.

Gejabo
01-02-2016, 13:46
I prefer real world circuits.
Not a big fan of fictional circuits.

roads can be left out all together

satco1066
01-02-2016, 14:11
i prefer real tracks. When watching TV, F1, LMP or GT races, i like the tracks, i also own in PC or AC.
Yes, i "was" there, i know the corners, great. And in my head i can compete.
Sim racing is not only driving fast on my rig, it's a kind of competition with real world drivers, that i'll never meet in real live.

Mahjik
01-02-2016, 14:11
I don't mind fictional tracks. I've had races in the past on some fictional rFactor tracks which were brilliant. As long as the tracks are well thought out and executed (and are circuit tracks, not point-to-point), I don't mind.

Fractured Life
01-02-2016, 16:08
Prefer real tracks, but of course some have been sterilized so I'd have to say my preference would be fore classic versions of existing tracks...easier on the licensing that way???
Old Osterreichring perhaps from before they wrecked it?
Old Kaylami layout from before the time it was cut down?

As for Fictional Tracks, i don't particularly care either way when they are as much fun as Bannochbrae. That place is legit and reminds me of a nice piece of countryside here in Ireland.

Plato99
01-02-2016, 16:22
Real world race circuits, in particular classic circuits, old layouts, pre "F1 sterilisation".
Classic Spa (HINT HINT), Mosport, Kyalami, Mallory Park.

Warren1571
01-02-2016, 22:28
Man, refreshing to hear that most people here are a little more focused towards the real world race circuits.

Agreed, a few fictional tracks can be fun too, but for me I think I got an overdose of that kind of thing in DriveClub while I was waiting for the release of Project Cars.

I'd love to see a track list for PCars 2 to see what they have in store for us :)

Ixoye56
01-02-2016, 22:42
I don't mind fictional tracks as long as they are as good as Bannochbrae, the most important thing is that they are fun and challenging to drive, but my dream track in PCars is the Isle of Man.

CPU M Rossi
01-02-2016, 23:00
Prefer real tracks, but of course some have been sterilized so I'd have to say my preference would be fore classic versions of existing tracks...easier on the licensing that way???
Old Osterreichring perhaps from before they wrecked it?
Old Kaylami layout from before the time it was cut down?

As for Fictional Tracks, i don't particularly care either way when they are as much fun as Bannochbrae. That place is legit and reminds me of a nice piece of countryside here in Ireland.

but its in Scotland :p (btw I know what you mean it is amazingly beautiful and realistic looking)

anyone I don't care if its real of fake, just as long as it can be raced on.

I started out hating the New York track in Forza 3 (the one with the chicanes) I thought of it as just a nightmare before I started racing online and well seeing I wasn't that fast. But once I realized that other people hated that just as much if not more then I did. While I wouldn't say I loved the track it grew on me as I was beating people by not crashing in the chicanes :D