PDA

View Full Version : Starting Grid Launch Technique

Ruttagger
01-02-2016, 03:31
Simply put....whats the secret to getting a good launch off the line from the starting grid. It seems like I have tried everything but usually my RPM's red line then my car crawls off the line as my RMP's reset and slowly build back up. I have tried red lining then dumping the clutch, I have tried feathering the RPM's in the powerband and even tried staying off the accelerator until the light goes green.
I didn't notice it much in career mode because the AI seems to be sluggish off the line as well but now that I usually race Online I consistently lose 2-4 places every launch.

Warren1571
01-02-2016, 03:56
I find my best starts are by keeping the revs midrange, foot on brake, wait for the green, then quickly shift into 1st gear (using paddle shifters), then plant my foot on the accelerator, all as quickly as I can.

Having said that, I still feel that I've never 100% nailed the start. Tried many different techniques but still not as quick as some guys off the line that is for sure.

Any additional tips anyone can offer, much appreciated here as well.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
01-02-2016, 04:07
Depends a lot on the car. With some you can just floor it while dumping the clutch and get a really good launch, with some others you can end up killing the engine trying to do that, and must instead smoothly come off the clutch. That can happen especially with cars with a big ass turbo, dipping the clutch too quickly will drop the revs too low before the turbo spools up (turbo doesn't spool up just by banging against the limiter, the engine needs resistance to spool up the turbo properly), but smoothing out with the clutch allows the revs to stay up while the turbo spools up. Once the turbo gets going you can let go of the clutch and the car launches harder.

Ryzza5
01-02-2016, 06:08
If you can time the lights perfectly (and are just a little lucky), you can start to go just before the green, and because the car bogs down, it won't actually start moving until the light has gone green. Something that needs practicing though.

Holding the handbrake while hovering on the clutch biting point is another strategy. Just don't stall it. :)

Yorkie065
01-02-2016, 07:53
The GT cars are all pretty easy to launch and I use the same technique for them all, along with majority of other cars/ car classes that I have driven in the game so far. A few require a little more finesse with accelerator and some modulation depending on how much power they have and how likely they are to light up the rear tyres. I use auto clutch as...ok, I didn't used to have a clutch pedal but now I do, but for the moment I still use auto clutch :P Either way, starts are pretty simple.

During light sequence, put the car into 1st gear and hold down the brake. Tap the accelerator and you'll feel the revs briefly pick up before dropping. As the last red light comes on, wait for roughly 1 second, floor the accelerator and release the brake as soon as you see the green. You'll have a couple of seconds sat on the rev limiter before the car bogs and the revs drop, so you need to time it to avoid that happening and get the green timed so whilst the car is holding revs. The car will launch off nicely, you don't have to manage the throttle in the dry, in the wet you may need to modulate the throttle to minimise the wheel spin but the procedure is still exactly the same. If you time it right, you can make a place or two immediately off the line depending on the grid and how much room there is. If it's a tight grid where you're close to the car infront and there isn't much room on either side of the grid slots, prepare to turn pretty much straight away and also possibly get out the throttle a little if you get blocked.

RacingManiac
01-02-2016, 14:43
I find this game being pretty demanding on clutch release for a standing start. Dumping the clutch a lot of the time doesn't work other than just bogging the car down, most of the time I needed to slip the clutch a bit to get the car off the line...

RomKnight
01-02-2016, 15:00
There's yt videos explaining all this and more

DreamsKnight
01-02-2016, 15:08
the clutch do the start, not the accelerator. the clutch balance motor/gear/tires grip during the start.

so this is my advice. point your attention to the clutch and the left foot. forget the right.

Mauler_77
01-02-2016, 15:54
I do the same as Yorkie - hold the brake down, switch to 1st and floor it just before the lights go green and release the brake pedal when they do. I've found it's the best method for me no matter the car. Just be careful to not floor it too early or you'll lose the revs before green is go.

Loki C346
02-02-2016, 19:21
There's yt videos explaining all this and more

Thanks for linking to them.

maxx69
02-02-2016, 19:30
https://youtu.be/kBJudzQdORs this may help you " get started"
Check out Dyr 's other technical videos....the guy is most knowledgeable:)

maxx69
02-02-2016, 19:41
I personally use the handbrake technique( doesn't work on all cars or on a slope ) and really try not to time the lights .
I wish they made the green light more random so to stop the light timing .....but that's a whole different can of worms :)

Plage
03-02-2016, 03:08
I rev at bit below the limiter and hold it there then try to estimate the green as good as possible and just let go.

If you're playing online is auto clutch forced off? If not it's really good in this game and allows quite fast starts. Some players may just see the light a tad earlier simply because they've a better ping or are faster because of better equipment. Some have the clutch mapped to a button on the wheel and are therefore faster than you'll ever can be. Others simply are better I've heard. :D

Rodders
03-02-2016, 12:18
The GT cars are all pretty easy to launch and I use the same technique for them all, along with majority of other cars/ car classes that I have driven in the game so far. A few require a little more finesse with accelerator and some modulation depending on how much power they have and how likely they are to light up the rear tyres. I use auto clutch as...ok, I didn't used to have a clutch pedal but now I do, but for the moment I still use auto clutch :P Either way, starts are pretty simple.

During light sequence, put the car into 1st gear and hold down the brake. Tap the accelerator and you'll feel the revs briefly pick up before dropping. As the last red light comes on, wait for roughly 1 second, floor the accelerator and release the brake as soon as you see the green. You'll have a couple of seconds sat on the rev limiter before the car bogs and the revs drop, so you need to time it to avoid that happening and get the green timed so whilst the car is holding revs. The car will launch off nicely, you don't have to manage the throttle in the dry, in the wet you may need to modulate the throttle to minimise the wheel spin but the procedure is still exactly the same. If you time it right, you can make a place or two immediately off the line depending on the grid and how much room there is. If it's a tight grid where you're close to the car infront and there isn't much room on either side of the grid slots, prepare to turn pretty much straight away and also possibly get out the throttle a little if you get blocked.

This.

Expect a few false starts till you get used to it but get it right and you'll be more concerned about ramming the guy in front than the guys behind getting past you. Also it might not be appropriate for all cars. Not tested enough to know.

BigDad
03-02-2016, 12:22
Thanks for linking to them.
Lazy much , shall he come over to your place and launch the start for you ?. (Google how to play video games)