PDA

View Full Version : Shouldnt the windshield get dirtier as the race goes on?

kevin kirk
01-02-2016, 17:38
Am I missing a setting or something? I see the dirt on the screen option but it doesn't change anything. Is that just for when the helmet showing option is on? if so does the visor/ screen get dirtier as the race goes on?

cluck
01-02-2016, 17:55
The tech isn't in there for pCARS1 for dirt to build up on the windscreen. The 'screen dirt' setting in the options is for external cameras to give the effect of dust on the lens :).

(or the tech might be there but it certainly hasn't ever been implemented)

kevin kirk
01-02-2016, 18:04
ok, I'm certainly not complaining.The time change is amazing. I just thought I might be missing something

YANNLEBLANC
01-02-2016, 18:17
I think the devs can just add some scratch and "permanent" "small" dirt and it's done..like R3E and others...

The windshield is really too much clean.

redruMKO
01-02-2016, 18:23
The tech isn't in there for pCARS1 for dirt to build up on the windscreen. The 'screen dirt' setting in the options is for external cameras to give the effect of dust on the lens :).

(or the tech might be there but it certainly hasn't ever been implemented)

Funny way to say SMS have not implemented it.

The tech was 'here' in 1998... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_McRae_Rally_(video_game)

kevin kirk
01-02-2016, 18:30
Well to do that you also would need some kind of tear offs during pit stops.

cluck
01-02-2016, 18:47

The tech was 'here' in 1998... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_McRae_Rally_(video_game) Yes, the tech is there in other games, but 'might' not be there in pCARS and that's all that matters in this instance :). It might also be that it is possible but couldn't be made to look right, given ALL of the possible permutations of weather, time of day etc. I have no idea if the underlying engine behind pCARS can do it, I just know that it isn't in the game as of now :).

Mahjik
01-02-2016, 18:54
It was in (to some degree), but removed early in the project. Most other titles do it time based (i.e. if you stop driving and just let the car sit, you'll see it building up even though the car isn't moving). My assumption is that SMS didn't want to add it in that way and decided if they couldn't do it right, not to do it at all at this time. Just my assumption as there was never a public mention about it.

artao
01-02-2016, 19:09
I was just thinking of this while watching the Rolex 24 at Daytona this weekend. LOL

kevin kirk
01-02-2016, 21:00
I was just thinking of this while watching the Rolex 24 at Daytona this weekend. LOL.........To have it build up like they did at daytona would be more of a aggervation than a feature. Those were some pretty dirty windshields. Alittle something would b nice though.

stangnutlx
01-02-2016, 21:08
Nr2003 does it

kevin kirk
01-02-2016, 21:08
I think the rain on the windshield looks to clean. Looks like water out of a bottle instead of rain coming off of a dirty car that your following.

Kroegtijgertje
01-02-2016, 21:27
The car itself gets more and more dirty as the race progresses.
It's just the windshields that stay perfect clean.

Warren1571
01-02-2016, 21:40
From memory NFS Shift 2 had dirty windscreens and bug splats etc, think it was pretty subtle and probably time based though, quite basic. So SMS has obviously toyed with the idea in the past.

It would certainly add another level of realism if they could add this for PCars 2 (I hope they do) - but then still have an option to turn it on or off though, so that if you want to stay "clean" you can, hehe.

3800racingfool
01-02-2016, 21:49
Why not just go full on and have simulated tear-offs?

Jason PLAdoh
01-02-2016, 21:55
Would love to see this feature in Pcars, as well as washer jets to get them clean with the wipers, would really add to the imersion.

Mahjik
01-02-2016, 22:31
I think the rain on the windshield looks to clean. Looks like water out of a bottle instead of rain coming off of a dirty car that your following.

The water is not that dirty when racing. The only time it would be is if a car put a tire off the tarmac with another car directly behind it.

kevin kirk
01-02-2016, 23:07
From memory NFS Shift 2 had dirty windscreens and bug splats etc, think it was pretty subtle and probably time based though, quite basic. So SMS has obviously toyed with the idea in the past.

It would certainly add another level of realism if they could add this for PCars 2 (I hope they do) - but then still have an option to turn it on or off though, so that if you want to stay "clean" you can, hehe...........to this very day every time I see the name nfs shift 2. I have flashbacks of the hours spent in that menu screen trying to get that games controller handling to not be like a Swiffer dust mop. That game was so bad it honestly makes me have flashback of playing it. Sometimes when I'm playin other games, I still hear a horseshoe clomping up beside my car from that god awful sound effect.

Warren1571
01-02-2016, 23:28
..........to this very day every time I see the name nfs shift 2. I have flashbacks of the hours spent in that menu screen trying to get that games controller handling to not be like a Swiffer dust mop. That game was so bad it honestly makes me have flashback of playing it. Sometimes when I'm playin other games, I still hear a horseshoe clomping up beside my car from that god awful sound effect.

I hear ya! ....... yep, I had no end of frustration with Shift 2 as well - just trying to get my wheel configured in a way I could keep a car driving in straight line was painful enough. The physics were awful, I persevered and had a bit of fun with it in the end because there wasn't much else around at the time.

That given I can see where Project Cars evolved from.

hkraft300
02-02-2016, 00:27
Didn't think much of the lack of screen dirt. But I race in mostly dry conditions and they're rarely long enough to warrant a dirty screen.
Til I get a wheel :)
You know what I thought was super impressive and immersive - dashboard reflecting on the windscreen. Subtle. Very nice touch.

Warren1571
02-02-2016, 00:37
You know what I thought was super impressive and immersive - dashboard reflecting on the windscreen. Subtle. Very nice touch.

Yeah, that is a great touch! Actually makes you feel like there is a glass windshield in front of you, even if it doesn't get dirty.

kevin kirk
02-02-2016, 01:23
The water is not that dirty when racing. The only time it would be is if a car put a tire off the tarmac with another car directly behind it........well the rain would be dirty looking from the dirt or what ever that's already on you windshield. just like it does in your real car. The dirty and clean line were the wiper wipes and doesn't wipe

Mahjik
02-02-2016, 01:29
.......well the rain would be dirty looking from the dirt or what ever that's already on you windshield. just like it does in your real car. The dirty and clean line were the wiper wipes and doesn't wipe

The only place you would see any dirt, if any, would be on the non-wiped areas from the rain mixing with existing dirt on the windscreen. The dirt wouldn't come from the water.

kevin kirk
02-02-2016, 01:33
The only place you would see any dirt, if any, would be on the non-wiped areas from the rain mixing with existing dirt on the windscreen. The dirt wouldn't come from the water....yea that's what I mean. sorry about that,I just didn't explain it right it.

hkraft300
02-02-2016, 08:08
.......well the rain would be dirty looking from the dirt or what ever that's already on you windshield. just like it does in your real car. The dirty and clean line were the wiper wipes and doesn't wipe

Wash your car.
Drive clean ;)

DreamsKnight
02-02-2016, 11:10
no pitcrew, but you can change tyres.

i think it is the same, each traffic light you don't see him.

http://www.darsch.it/public/img/2/lavavetri.jpg

Doge
02-02-2016, 12:31

The tech was 'here' in 1998... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_McRae_Rally_(video_game)

I remember tear offs being a feature in F1 1997...

Salty Dog
03-02-2016, 06:09
I want Wombats at Mt Panorama !!!

Invincible
03-02-2016, 08:28
I want Wombats at Mt Panorama !!!

Reminds me of the poor Kangaroo (or Wallaby) that got hit / vaporized by a car (M3 GTR) on the Conrod straight.

rotorrian
04-02-2016, 02:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NanBH1gYROU

Reminds me of the poor Kangaroo (or Wallaby) that got hit / vaporized by a car (M3 GTR) on the Conrod straight.

rotorrian
04-02-2016, 02:26
Only one more sleep until the 12hr :P