PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tablets/smartphones for use with companion apps

Mascot
02-02-2016, 10:59
I currently use a 10.1" Galaxy Tab 4 for pCARS Dash, mounted above my TV screen, but am interested in getting at least one more 10.1" tablet to run alongside it. However, I don't want to spend a small fortune when its only function will be running a companion app. The market (eBay, Amazon) now seems flooded with ~50 no-name Chinese android devices that are probably not much use as day-to-day multi-use tablets, but might be absolutely perfect for running a companion app.

My Galaxy Tab has a resolution of 1280x800, which is not terrific up close by today's standards, but is perfectly fine at 2' distance. A few cheap tablets have this resolution but most of them seem to be 1024x600. Again, this might be absolutely fine for displaying a large gear indicator and rev counter, but not perhaps for showing detailed telemetry.

I guess my question is this: does anyone have any experience with running companion apps on these cheap-and-cheerful devices, and what recommendations or advice can you offer?

:)

Mascot
04-02-2016, 07:41
OK, research complete. Everybody uses iPads.

justonce68
04-02-2016, 08:43
I use an ipad for pcars dash and a cheap android tablet from amazon (25) for crew chief

Mascot
04-02-2016, 09:23
I use an ipad for pcars dash and a cheap android tablet from amazon (25) for crew chief

Ever used the cheap tablet for pCARS Dash, even as a test? And how does it perform with Crew Chief?
Also, any chance of a link to the one you bought?
Thanks.