PDA

View Full Version : Why can't a slide be caught smoothly?

TRL Karthikeyan
03-02-2016, 10:16
after driving the rad bull recently i discovered a flaw with the steering which results in instant tank slappers.

Could it be that in controller settings it has 2 seperate steering settings(left,right) instead of using 1 axis(like on rfactor for example) which means holding a slide is very difficult as you jump from left to right with no transition.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
03-02-2016, 12:31
Slides can be caught smoothly though, it just requires good timing.

danowat
03-02-2016, 12:44
Slides can be caught smoothly though, it just requires good timing.

And a steering wheel ;)

03-02-2016, 12:57
And a steering wheel ;)There's at least one guy on YouTube though drifting with a gamepad on PS4, and he posts his setups (including controller settings). =)

danowat
03-02-2016, 13:10
Yeah, yeah, I know, I just have a bit of a bugbear with the controller system in the game :-P

Sasquatch
03-02-2016, 15:21
And a steering wheel ;)

And a Caterham Classic.

diesel97
03-02-2016, 15:23
Cars need tuning even for drifting

Mauler_77
03-02-2016, 21:08
I find it really hard to control a slide in this game, or rather not the initial slide but slide-correction/straightening up, almost to the point where I feel it's been programmed to deliberately punish us for trying, or spinning out slightly, just as I find some curbs ruin you no matter what, or if you've spun off then gently got back on track it's as if the game says NO and you spin out instantly again. Perhaps it's just me lol

03-02-2016, 21:19
It does require your timing to be pretty tight, and I'd say that just following the FFB of any wheel is just too slow (you need to also take into account the visual), but it does work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU20IzPgOp0

miagi
04-02-2016, 01:09
I would guess things like chassis flex, clutch slip, suspension and wheel flex and some delay in the way the tire builds up grip would make ending a drift smoother. But then again, those things even with simplified models still need a lot of processing power to put out good results in real time.

Btw. nice drifting Jussi ^^

Josh Whitcombe
04-02-2016, 01:59
It is something I have noticed with RADBUL, I personally feel that it is that the tyres regain grip too quickly, and it snaps the car in the opposite direction when you try to straighten the car out.