PDA

View Full Version : Tactile Transducers

czucker
03-02-2016, 17:05
Hi folks,
I am looking to add some transducers to my setup. I am planning on starting with one, just to get going, but I would really like to be able have left/right transducers in the future. Everything I'm seeing point to needing a sub amp for each channel. I really, really want to avoid this as I have a Playseat Challenge and live in a small apartment with my wife (who wouldn't appreciate the multiple amps and wires).

Is there any scenario that would all for a compact multi-channel transducer setup?

I'd love to hear some ideas.

Thanks,
Chris

wyldanimal
03-02-2016, 20:28
I'm currently running Two Subs, One for Left, and One for Right..
with two Clark Transducers.
http://www.parts-express.com/clark-synthesis-tst209-tactile-transducer-bass-shaker--300-861

My subs are 300 watts, and I have to keep them at slightly less than 1/2 gain.
I've already blown one of the transducers and had to replace it..
a Guest had cranked up the Gain to 100%, and I didn't realize it till Smoke was pouring out under the rig.

They do run HOT at Normal operation wattage ( 100 watts )
but when Pushed to near Max for a long time, they Burn up.

subs...
http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd300-300w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-508

czucker
04-02-2016, 18:32
I'm currently running Two Subs, One for Left, and One for Right..
with two Clark Transducers.

That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I don't love the idea of needing multiple plate amps hanging around.

I suppose I will keep noodling.

SUBGTRACER
05-02-2016, 01:39
you could use multiple buttkickers ?

http://www.pagnianimports.com.au/buttkicker-products.html

ChrisK
05-02-2016, 04:13
Never even heard of a tactile transducer.

SUBGTRACER
05-02-2016, 06:35
A tactile transducer or "bass shaker" is a device which is made on the principle that low bass frequencies can be felt as well as heard. A shaker transmits low-frequency vibrations into various surfaces so that they can be felt by people. This is called tactile sound. Tactile transducers may augment or in some cases substitute for a subwoofer.

A bass-shaker is meant to be firmly attached to some surface such as a seat, couch or floor. The shaker houses a small weight which is driven by a voice coil similar to those found in dynamic loudspeakers. The voice-coil is driven by a low-frequency audio signal from an amplifier; common shakers typically handle 25 to 50 watts of amplifier power. The voice coil exerts force on both the weight and the body of the shaker, with the latter forces being transmitted into the mounting surface.

Tactile transducers may be used in a home theater, a commercial movie theater, or for special effects in an arcade game, amusement park ride or other application.

Related to bass shakers are a newer type of transducer referred to as linear actuators. These piston-like electromagnetic devices transmit motion in a direct fashion by lifting home theater seating in the vertical plane rather than transferring vibrations (by mounting within a seat, platform or floor). This technology is said to transmit a high-fidelity sound-motion augmentation, whereas "Shakers" may require heavy equalization and/or multiple units to approach a realistic effect.[citation needed]

There are other products now on the market which employ hydraulic (long-throw) linear actuators and outboard motion processors for home applications as popularized in "virtual reality" rides. These products differ radically from tactile transducers in that they require the manual composition and synchronized playback of motion signals, in addition to the standard soundtrack that the motion is meant to accompany.

hkraft300
05-02-2016, 07:15
PS4 doesn't support something like a simvibe which give you rumble feedback from the tyres.
Buttkicker might be your next best thing.

GrimeyDog
05-02-2016, 11:44
PS4 doesn't support something like a simvibe which give you rumble feedback from the tyres.
Buttkicker might be your next best thing.

I use 2x buttkickers under My Chair they play L &R i love it!!! Sooo Much More Immersion, Racing Games, Shooters even Movies and TV Horror Flicks are the Best!!! i wear Astro A40 Head phones so its Total Isolation Full Effect!!! I was Home alone watching a Horrir Movie and forgot i had 1 hooked up... that thing went Crazy Shaking the Chair i almost Ran out the House!!!

Go to Butkicker.com only bad part is you have to sign up for Email to catch them in stock!!!! and when you do get the Email their In Order Quick they sell out Fast!!!

SGETI
05-02-2016, 15:09
Here is whole bunch of information regarding, tactile tranducers, sim vibe and butt kickers

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/tactile-info-buyers-guide-comparisons-opinions-work-in-progress.327026/

Fanapryde
05-02-2016, 17:34
I have only one Buttkicker Gamer 2 connected to my rig, not even on Simvibe (yet).
Turning the amp off reduces immersion by 50% (which I did not really expect to be that big a difference).

czucker
05-02-2016, 18:06
I use 2x buttkickers under My Chair they play L &R i love it!!! Sooo Much More Immersion, Racing Games, Shooters even Movies and TV Horror Flicks are the Best!!! i wear Astro A40 Head phones so its Total Isolation Full Effect!!! I was Home alone watching a Horrir Movie and forgot i had 1 hooked up... that thing went Crazy Shaking the Chair i almost Ran out the House!!!

Go to Butkicker.com only bad part is you have to sign up for Email to catch them in stock!!!! and when you do get the Email their In Order Quick they sell out Fast!!!

How do you have them playing left and right? My understanding is that the buttkicker amp will not do that unless you have one connected to each channel.

wyldanimal
06-02-2016, 07:02
I've used a number of Different tactile Transducers.. Including Buttkickers..
So far, the Clarks have given me the Best Bang for the BUCKS..

this is Under the Platform where my Seat is mounted. One Front Left, and the other Right Rear.
I have a 1" thick layer of Foam, between the Base Frame and the 24" x 24" plywood Sheet that the Seat Attaches too.
This allows the Platform to Float on the Foam... More responsive to the Tactile Transducers..
Each one is about 9" in Diameter
The Clark Synthesis TST209 tactile transducer is one of the best values on the market today.
This high-tech bass shaker produces 1.6 lbs.-ft. of force per watt, with a peak force output of 216 lbs.-ft.

I had to Place my Rig on Pink 2" thick Solid Insulation.
Without it, the Entire Floor picked up the LFE, and the LFE resonated through the building.
Low Frequency Emission

One 24 x 24 platform for the pedals,
One 24 x 24 platform for the Seat, held together by Side rails.
My seat is out of a Car, I kept the Tracks with it, so it's fully adjustable.
this last picture I didn't have the 2nd Amp yet..
I now have one one Plate amp on each Side.
Oh the White Disc shaped thing is a Heater..
There is no Heat up there. In the Winter it gets really cold..

The Support for the Screens is a separate unit.
It's on Wheels and Straddles the platform for the Pedals.

wyldanimal
06-02-2016, 07:12
That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I don't love the idea of needing multiple plate amps hanging around.

I suppose I will keep noodling.

Yes, I read that in your 1st post..
On PS4, I don't know any way to do it, using just one Sub Amp..
Maybe a Home Theater Receiver with 100 watts per channel or more,
and use Left out to drive one transducer and Right Out to drive another.
One Amp, Seperate Channels, Two Transducers. ( these are rated 4 ohms )

On PC, SimVibe has already Been Mentioned.

SimVibe is very Different from what I'm doing.. I'm using the Audio, Sub Frequency, to Drive a tactile Transducer..
SimVibe is actually Software driven by the telemetry of the cars suspension, just like FFB to the Steering Wheel.
So For Each tire of the Car, a specific Thrust is sent to the tactile transducer for that tire.
It's not the Audio Channel, but a Sound Sent Specific to the response of the tire.

This is why SimVibe is PC only,
the Driving Simulator software has to output the telemetry data for SymVibe to use.

hkraft300
06-02-2016, 11:19
Wyldanimal wins.
He has heater on his rig.
Because race cars are hot.
+1 for immersion ;)

BigDad
06-02-2016, 11:37
Wyldanimal , can i ask , this ^ is your rig and you play pCars on ps4 , why ?
Just asking because your rig looks awesome . Maybe just needs a little Fanatec added .

hkraft300
06-02-2016, 11:44
Just asking because your rig looks awesome . Maybe just needs a little Fanatec added .

You haven't seen subgtracers rig?
Its a little fancy too with the buttkicker.
Pity its just collecting dust :p

BigDad
06-02-2016, 11:56
lol . But the triples on Wyldanimal's are what got me .
I've seen pics of Sub's rig , i don't think it collects dust , didn't you notice how clean and possibly anal it looks . lol .
Sorry Sub , you rig is beautiful !

hkraft300
06-02-2016, 13:02
Ye he's too busy polishing it to be actually using it :p

wyldanimal
06-02-2016, 23:30
Wyldanimal wins.
He has heater on his rig.
Because race cars are hot.
+1 for immersion ;)

I've got a Heater and a Three Speed Fan...
the faster I Drive, the Higher the fan gets set.. For that Wind in your Face effect...

okay, the fan is not controlled by my driving speed.. It just gets Very Hot in the Summer, and Frigid in the Winter..

The Triple Screen is Connected to (3) PS3's ( that PC is just a low end box for Web Browsing..)
It's connected the the Right Screen. I just switch HDMI inputs if I want to See the PC.

I built the 3 Screen setup for GT5, and then used it again for GT6
PS4 doesn't currently have Multi-Screen Support.. I'd Buy 2 other PS4's if a Racing SIM supported it.. One to Control Each Screen.

I didn't build my rig to be Pretty.. I just wanted to Drive...
I had my Screens on layaway... Couldn't afford all three at once, but wanted Three matched from the same Lot.
I don't like using Credit cards for my hobby purchases.. either I have the money, or I wait...
So I put a few bucks down, and over 6 months paid for them.
And once I finally Got them Paid for. Man I wanted to Drive...
Some 2x3's and some Screws. A few cuts, Two 24 x 24 platforms, some side rails all done in a few hours time..
And a support frame to hold the screens...
But I've added too it, a bit here and there...

I drove it with bare wood for about 2 years.. Then I said I need to paint it..
took it all apart and painted it..
Looks better painted..
Still not Pretty...

But Man, That wind in my face, really adds to the Immersion..

The Clark Transducer, really kick arse.. i feel every bump that makes a sound...
Not quite a motion sim, but still better Immersion than not having them.

Edit: I've gotten to drive a couple motion Sims..
Fun and excitemtn at first, but I really think the Motion Got in the way of the driving for me..
Maybe I'd adjust to it with time. But the Two experiences, made me Not want to build one.

I'll stick with the Transducers.. good enough effects for the seat of my pants.

BigDad
07-02-2016, 05:01
I like it .