PDA

View Full Version : Bentley GT3

ChrisChros87
06-02-2016, 20:52
GT3 is my favourite class, in game and real life. Im pretty consistent with the cars in this class but I just cannot get to grips with the Bentley. I just find that it feels too tail happy in the corners, so ease off, thus loosing time.

I play using a controller because I dont have the space for a seat/wheel, with manual and aids set to real. Tried clutch but couldnt get used to the downshift when braking. Doesnt matter what track either it seems.

Am I just not quite as good as I think I am or is it just a generally hard car to 'master'? Any tips or set ups worth trying out?

Shadowoff
06-02-2016, 21:19
GT3 is my favourite class, in game and real life. Im pretty consistent with the cars in this class but I just cannot get to grips with the Bentley. I just find that it feels too tail happy in the corners, so ease off, thus loosing time.

I play using a controller because I dont have the space for a seat/wheel, with manual and aids set to real. Tried clutch but couldnt get used to the downshift when braking. Doesnt matter what track either it seems.

Am I just not quite as good as I think I am or is it just a generally hard car to 'master'? Any tips or set ups worth trying out?

Try to use more downforce on the rear. I can drive pretty good with the Bentley, its my second favorite GT3 car in real life and in-game. Also try to increase the camber-angle and to decrease the rear tyre pressure (=less oversteer and more grip). When you loose the rear under braking try to increase the Differential-lock. If thats not they key I dont know other reasons...

ChrisChros87
06-02-2016, 21:51
Thanks for that, Ill give it a try next time im on

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
06-02-2016, 22:21
The default setup is also set up to be fairly nimble, maybe even oversteery. I like to soften up the rear somewhat so that the car gets more traction. It suffers a bit in that the car is front heavy and has the most peaky engine (the turbo comes in sharply and can kick the tail out) so getting grip to the rear is fairly important. Something like this could be worth a try: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/379295043

Shadowoff
06-02-2016, 22:38
The default setup is also set up to be fairly nimble, maybe even oversteery. I like to soften up the rear somewhat so that the car gets more traction. It suffers a bit in that the car is front heavy and has the most peaky engine (the turbo comes in sharply and can kick the tail out) so getting grip to the rear is fairly important. Something like this could be worth a try: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/379295043

Isnt it contra-productive to only use 2 "downforce" on the rear?

06-02-2016, 22:42
Isnt it contra-productive to only use 2 "downforce" on the rear?Well the front setting is also 0. =)

That specific setup is more for tracks where downforce isn't that important like Nords where it seemed to work fine, but you can of course increase it if you want to.

Stevesixty7
06-02-2016, 23:16
The Bentley was my favourite back in the day. Yes it is tail happy, that's up to you to work out, I had no help working it out, but I made it driveable to my liking. The worst thing? I haven't used it for ages, lost interest.

Awong124
09-02-2016, 14:53
I'm currently tuning setups for all the GT3 and GTE cars, and the Bentley is next on my list. I've driven it before with stock settings and it was by far the quickest GT3 car, like a second a lap faster than anything else. But that was also back when the DLC first came out, so I don't know if subsequent updates have changed anything. I remember it was fast, but I didn't like the way it drove, so I'm interested to see what can be done with the settings.

graveltrap
09-02-2016, 15:10
It was hit with the BoP hammer a few patches back, whilst this may make it the most realistic GT3 car the game has, it also means it isn't vey competitive with the rest of the cars in class, well maybe apart from the Aston Martin GTE...

Fight-Test
09-02-2016, 16:07
It was hit with the BoP hammer a few patches back, whilst this may make it the most realistic GT3 car the game has, it also means it isn't vey competitive with the rest of the cars in class, well maybe apart from the Aston Martin GTE...

Haha, yea right. It's still a top car if not still dominating in a fast drivers hands. It's speed through corners is incredible. At least most leagues allow it now as it was banned in most competitive leagues before. It is in no way slow or not competitive.

A few tracks including bathurst it's still a second to 2 seconds faster than field.

09-02-2016, 16:18
A few tracks including bathurst it's still a second to 2 seconds faster than field.Yeah, that'd be the turbo helping it. Since there's no way for us to enforce restrictors or wastegates, the turbo cars get a benefit over the NA cars at high altitudes.

M4MKey
09-02-2016, 17:02
Yeah. BUt everywhere except at those tracks, the Bentley is slower than a Z4 if you have full aero on it. ( and Z4 full aero too ). Astons GT3 are the fastest ( yet, they're not in service anymore since a long long time ).
And last year GT3 clearly showed how the Bentley still are supposed to be a monster on straights.

Right now, the Bentley has the worst brakes, has a "decent but not best" engine. Correct handling. Very poor traction.

No wonder why everyone in this game picks either astons or Z4 on this field. Because they're simply above the others.

7 different final drive ratios on the Z4 ??? 2 for all the others...

Awong124
09-02-2016, 17:13
Yeah. BUt everywhere except at those tracks, the Bentley is slower than a Z4 if you have full aero on it. ( and Z4 full aero too ). Astons GT3 are the fastest ( yet, they're not in service anymore since a long long time ).
And last year GT3 clearly showed how the Bentley still are supposed to be a monster on straights.

Right now, the Bentley has the worst brakes, has a "decent but not best" engine. Correct handling. Very poor traction.

No wonder why everyone in this game picks either astons or Z4 on this field. Because they're simply above the others.

7 different final drive ratios on the Z4 ??? 2 for all the others...

For me, the Z4 is slightly quicker than the Aston GT3 even at a relatively high speed track like Spa, but the difference is very small, like under 2 tenths a lap. With default gearing, the Aston GT3 is about 3 km/h faster at the end of the straight. I like the Z4 more because I think it has better handling balance.

M4MKey
09-02-2016, 17:30
Yup... Z4 is definitely the best GT3 car in this game. No wonder why everybody is driving it.

Mahjik
09-02-2016, 17:39
Yup... Z4 is definitely the best GT3 car in this game. No wonder why everybody is driving it.

I don't know about that. I do think the Z4 is one of the more competitive cars, but I don't think I'd call it the best. Most people drive it because of the glorious engine sound. ;)

Fight-Test
09-02-2016, 17:58
I think the mclaren, z4, bentley, ruf and audi can all win. Some cars do better at some tracks and they can't all be driven the same so style does come into it. Thats another reason I think the z4 is loved is it likes to be driven all out. It responds well to it and that's fun. A car like the audi which is faster when u go slower isn't for everyone and kinda goes against the natural instinct. Every time I jump from bmw to audi it takes a bit to adjust and remember to let the audi come to me instead of driving hard. Sometimes a certain car fits you better and you can find that extra speed which makes you think that car is better.

Shadowoff
09-02-2016, 17:59
The Z4 is a car which handles very balanced and has good acceleration/traction. But I dont think its quite fast. Im maining this car and I think its a good car to start with (if youre new). BUT in my opinion there is just on fast driver for it: Markus Walter aka Blacky. Nobody can reach a bloody 2.13 at Spa in this car, only he. There is a 1.5 second gap between him and the second place.
The Bentley is a strong turbo beast. Its very competitive and hard to handle. In my opinion it is the fastest GT3 car with the Aston and SLS, because of the top speed.

NEPALII
09-02-2016, 23:15

SNS will probably start updating the other GT3s with the new BoP. Some cars are a bit too fast judging by the lap times in real life vs in-game.

Awong124
10-02-2016, 15:37
I just spent some time with the Bentley yesterday. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems to me that the updates since its launch has made its overall character the complete opposite of what it was when it was first introduced. When the DLC first came out, I remember this car having monster straight line speed, but being an oversteering pig in the corners with very poor traction. When I tried it yesterday, the straight line speed is now average at best (even with max boost and shortened gearing it's a massive 6km/h slower than the R8 at the end of the straight at Spa), but it has great grip through corners, and has immense rear traction and stability. The grip and stability of this car is a match for the Z4, if not even slightly better. With traction control off, using soft tires, after I have the wheel somewhat straight I can pretty much floor the throttle out of slow corners in 1st gear and it will just hook up. And its composure over kerbs is pretty much unmatched among the GT3 cars. On kerbs that make me spin if I even look at them when driving the Aston or Z4, I can drive right over them safely with the Bentley. Even if you do start sliding the rear end, this car is by far the easiest of the GT3s to catch and recover from it. This car is easily the most forgiving car in the GT3 class. It does feel more sluggish on turn in and transitions than the other cars, more than the extra 25kg would suggest. It's a tall car, so possibly the center of gravity is higher along with the extra weight, which compounds the effect.

I didn't even have to soften the rear up that much. I only softened the rear springs 1 click (20 N/mm), and the rear ARBs 5 clicks (5 N/mm). I don't remember what the default aero settings were, but I have it at 1.0 and 7.0. I also adjusted the dampers a little, but not drastically. The default damper settings were almost about right. I don't remember what the default diff settings were, but I set them at accel 50%, decel 75%, preload maxed. I shifted the final drive one click towards accel, which actually maxes it to accel. The default gearing is far too long for any track other than maybe Monza or La Sarthe. I barely even needed to use 6th gear at Spa, and that was only once down the long straight right near the end before I had to brake.

For me it's currently the quickest GT3/GTE car around Spa, out of the cars I've tested so far (Vantage GT3/GTE, R8, M3, Z4). It's no longer nearly as OP as it was originally, but still one of the quickest for me. It slightly edges out the Z4 by less than half a tenth, so basically nothing when taking into account the variance in my skill between laps. I didn't expect to like this car, but I really like it. I think it's very very good. It's easy to push hard and still be very consistent lap after lap. I can see the appeal of it in a long race. It's currently probably my second favorite after the Z4. One of the main things I don't like about it, and it's completely a personal preference, is that it's right hand drive. It took a bit of time to get used to car placement and turn in points.

10-02-2016, 15:52
I always had great grip in the corners (even more actually before the BoP update which raised the ride height and reduced DF), but indeed the original version's immense power levels and fairly sharp turbo kick in combination with the nose-heavy weight distribution meant that it was really easy to overcome rear traction.

Shadowoff
10-02-2016, 18:01
In my opinion the "fastest" car list should be:
1.) Aston Martin GTE (6h Spa winnee WEC, also very competitive at 24h Le Mans)
2.) Bentley (BSS winner)/Audi R8 (BSS second place and fighted 'til last track for the win)
3.) BMW Z4 (24h Spa winner and 24h Nordschleife second)
4.) Ruf/Porsche (the GTE version was WEC GTE Pro winner)
5.) Mercedes SLS/Aston Martin V12(because of the power)

I dont know where the Ginetta should be, never saw the Ginetta racing in real life.