PDA

View Full Version : Analog throttle control on fanatec wheel

Fasted
08-02-2016, 20:26
Hi,

Im looking for a wheel for the ps4 that has analog throttle control on the wheel.
I cant use the pedals because of my disability (spinalcord injury).
I emailed fanatec about this, asking if they have a wheel which has analog throttle control.
This was the reply:

Thank you for your inquiry,

our Wheels supports controls via wheel,but not all games do support this function.we are not able to tell you unfortunately which game allows this kind of mapping. This decision belongs to the game developers and you would need to contact the support of the game developers.

Thank you for your understanding

Best regards / Freundliche Gre
Suat Tombul

(Fanatec Support Team)

I am confused now because on all the forums i checked people are saying that there is no analog throttle control on fanatec wheels.
Is there anybody here with a ps4 and a fanatec wheel that can confirm that throttle and brake controls can be mapped to analog buttons on a fanatec wheel?

lollygag
08-02-2016, 21:00
Well of course you can map throttle/brakes/clutch to any button on a wheel.. but then its just that, an on/off button.. there is nothing on the wheel (except the wheel itself) to control axis which throttle and the other pedals are usually mapped to.

Maybe you could map it to a rotary dial? dont think that would be helpful though.

Pappa_Stig
08-02-2016, 21:59
If you have a wheel mounted to a proper rig, you could buy some proper car hand controls for the pedals and have someone mount them to the rig. That would probably be the best way to go about it, as it'd be more realistically simulating how you'd drive a real car. Of course, if you did that, you'd also need to mount one of those knobs on the wheel rim to have better control of the wheel with one hand. Just an idea, but I think that'd work really well. Good luck mate.

bradleyland
08-02-2016, 22:51
Basically what they're saying is that some games allow you to map throttle/brake to buttons on a wheel, but that this kind of support varies from game-to-game, so they can't say for sure. I've never tried mapping throttle/brake to a button, so I can't say whether it works in PCars. I can tell you with certainty that there are no analog buttons on Fanatec wheels though. Analog buttons are a console-only thing. Honestly, they'd be horrible for throttle & brake inputs though, because the range of motion is so limited.

Regardless, I have some other ideas. I think you're going to have to go custom here. Do you have hand controls in your car? I would try to rig something up that is similar. Your best bet is probably going to be buying a used set of G25/G27 pedals, which you can link to a custom set of hand controls. Fanatec makes an adapter (http://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/pedals-accessories/g25-g27-pedal-adapter-cabel-for-fanatec-wheels-eu.html) that will allow you to connect these pedals to their wheel.

I'm thinking a push-pull setup is probably going to be the easiest to DIY. Going push-rock or right-angle might require you to buy an actual set of hand controls. I'm thinking that you should be able to fabricate a simple control lever from a cut mop handle. In a car, the linkages are complex because you can't easily move the pedals. Fortunately, you can mount the G25/G27 pedals anywhere. I'd mount the pedals upside down under your rig's wheel-mount surface (I'm assuming you're going to build a rig since you're going Fanatec). All that's left is to figure out the linkages.

Boy I hope this makes sense! I put together the image below. Keep in mind that this is the view from UNDER the mounting surface, so everything is reversed. Viewed from the top, the hand control would be on the left side of the wheel, which is typical. You'd probably want to space it off the bottom of the mounting surface a bit as well. I've only ever driven one vehicle with hand controls, and the lever was about 1/3rd of the way from the bottom of the wheel, which seemed to work well in keeping that hand out of the way while operating the wheel with the other hand.

Each of the pedals on the G27 have two screws used to mount the pedals. In order to connect the rod-ends to the pedals, you'll want to build little right-angle brackets that are drilled to match the screw pattern. You should be able to unscrew the pedals and screw your brackets right on. The rest of this stuff is just custom lengths of rod (you can use all-thread) and a piece of angle iron (or aluminum).

Hope this helps!

http://i.imgur.com/Y6wKzg5.png

bradleyland
08-02-2016, 22:54
Let me know if you want any help sourcing materials or designing the full specifications for a setup. I'm thinking that this would have value to other racers who don't have use of their legs for whatever reason. I'm sure that a DIY guide for hand controls would be very interesting to them, considering actual hand controls cost hundreds of dollars.

lollygag
08-02-2016, 23:10
Or.. for the quickest solution, run down to Walmart or a similar store for your locale.. buy an xbox controller, plug it in, in the game map throttle to the trigger and accelerate with your right hand and steer with your left.

It works, I just tested it with my controller i use for replays.

Fasted
08-02-2016, 23:55
Thanks for the input guys!. I had a car with hand controls, unbelievable i never thought of doing the same on a gaming rig.
I was only thinking on how i would get analog triggers mounted to the wheel. But i think im going for papa's and bradleys idea's. I still know the mechanic that modified my car, think maybe he can work something out. The mods on my car were only a few metal rods, shouldnt be that hard and expensive i guess. Ill let you know if i need help bradley!, thanks!

bradleyland
09-02-2016, 02:53
Perfect! I'm sure his ideas will be informed by a LOT more experience than mine :)

Also, I'm not sure if you're familiar with him, but Alex Zanardi races with hand controls. He's a double-amputee as a result of a crash while racing in a Champ Car. Guy is friggin' amazing!

Sankyo
09-02-2016, 07:58
Hi,

Im looking for a wheel for the ps4 that has analog throttle control on the wheel.
I cant use the pedals because of my disability (spinalcord injury).
I emailed fanatec about this, asking if they have a wheel which has analog throttle control.
This was the reply:

Thank you for your inquiry,

our Wheels supports controls via wheel,but not all games do support this function.we are not able to tell you unfortunately which game allows this kind of mapping. This decision belongs to the game developers and you would need to contact the support of the game developers.

Thank you for your understanding

Best regards / Freundliche Gre
Suat Tombul

(Fanatec Support Team)

I am confused now because on all the forums i checked people are saying that there is no analog throttle control on fanatec wheels.
Is there anybody here with a ps4 and a fanatec wheel that can confirm that throttle and brake controls can be mapped to analog buttons on a fanatec wheel?
Well the CSW BMW and F1 rims have an analog joystick that could be used for this. How convenient/useful that would be I don't know, but it is possible.

I also seem to remember a Thrustmaster wheel with analog paddles, but that would mean getting a new wheel (if it's still available).