PDA

View Full Version : Personal opinion

NEPALII
10-02-2016, 00:09
I stopped playing pCars for a while maybe around Patch 5.0 and got back to pCars after Patch 8.0. I must say, pCars feels like a completely different beast and in a very good way! Much improved!

Tire model is improved, lap times are now more realistic, FFB with Jack Spade files and some extra tweaking of my own feels amazing! On par with AC as the best FFB I have ever experienced. Love some of the new features such as Warmup, setup saves and the many changes introduced to the Dedicated Server. Much more complete as a package.

Now, I will be pointing out some flaws not to put down or criticize the game but to try to grab the developers' attention and see if they can fix/improve the game. pCars, for me, it's close to being THE Next-Gen Sim that I have been looking for a long time. Here is a little list of what I think is preventing pCars from being much more:

1) Why does Qualifying or Practice end right away when time is over? When time runs out in a qualifying session, you are still able to finish that lap. This needs to be added in pCars.
2) Ballast. Touring Car racing uses a lot of it, same with GT racing. BoP is different, it's done in general. Ballast is only added to the fastest drivers to try to balance the field and mix things up. WTCC and BTCC do this.
3) 2-race format, reverse grids. Race 07 could do this, so why not pCars? Some real touring car racing could be done with this implemented.
4) Fix the exaggerated slipstream PLEASE! A Renault Clio shouldn't be gaining more speed drafting another car than a F1 in real life. Makes the game feel arcade. My only physics/aerodynamics complaint.
5) Edit pit preset while driving, not just when entering the pit lane. This is possible on many sims.

For me, with these 5 things checked, pCars would be near perfection. Hopefully, anyone at SMS can take note on this. Not trying to be harsh, just sharing my opinion and view on the current state of pCars, which by the way, has come a long way and is currently an amazing simulator. :)

Shinzah
10-02-2016, 08:32
1) Qualifying does end for me at the end of the lap in most cases O-o
2) A ballast option would be nice, yes.
3) Pcars isn't Race 07.
4) Well. Not exactly. While the slipstream is a bit generous, a Clio makes a much larger hole in the air and does not create as much turbulent wake. Drafting in an F1 car is incredibly difficult, as there is a lot of turbulent dirty air coming from the cars while a Clio with a much higher CoG and much fewer aero devices produces a more stable pocket of negative pressure over a larger area.
5) I'll one up this. It'll be nicer if the entire pit strategy can be worked out and saved for the duration of the race. I don't mind being only able to edit it in the pits, but I would rather be able to set my number of predicted stops, fuel load, and tires for the entire race duration. Going through an entire endurance race that requires a short fill requires unnecessary time to shut off tires/damage repair set fuel from 70L to 10L ect.

Hammerpgh
10-02-2016, 09:12
1) Qualifying does end for me at the end of the lap in most cases O-o
2) A ballast option would be nice, yes.
3) Pcars isn't Race 07.
4) Well. Not exactly. While the slipstream is a bit generous, a Clio makes a much larger hole in the air and does not create as much turbulent wake. Drafting in an F1 car is incredibly difficult, as there is a lot of turbulent dirty air coming from the cars while a Clio with a much higher CoG and much fewer aero devices produces a more stable pocket of negative pressure over a larger area.
5) I'll one up this. It'll be nicer if the entire pit strategy can be worked out and saved for the duration of the race. I don't mind being only able to edit it in the pits, but I would rather be able to set my number of predicted stops, fuel load, and tires for the entire race duration. Going through an entire endurance race that requires a short fill requires unnecessary time to shut off tires/damage repair set fuel from 70L to 10L ect.
I'm with the OP on this as for me qualifying ends as soon as the timer counts down and does not allow me to complete the current lap.

Bealdor
10-02-2016, 09:21
I'm with the OP on this as for me qualifying ends as soon as the timer counts down and does not allow me to complete the current lap.

Online or SP? It should let you complete your final lap in SP but not in MP.

seb02
10-02-2016, 09:32

in Solo player, we can't complete our lap in qualifications.

Bealdor
10-02-2016, 09:37

Well that's a strange one because I can.

Invincible
10-02-2016, 09:42

Well, I can too. Just made it over the start / finish line with 5 seconds left yesterday and still could finish my lap (Quick race weekend).

Yorkie065
10-02-2016, 09:52
About point 5, although you can't edit it out on track, in a warm up, practice or qualifying session prior to the race, you can create up to 10 pitstop strategies from the pits in the pit strategy menu. So if you've got an up coming endurance race, you can create say 3 strategies for planned stops 1, 2 and 3 (or however many you need to do), and then any potential variations for alternate strategies or emergencies (medium tyre switch, quick splash of fuel, no fuel or tyres but damage repair).

When in the race and you come into the pits, when the menu pops up go to 'view saved' and then either click with the mouse the boxes that say 'yes' or 'no' to tick and select which strategy you want to use. If your on xbox, it's 'Y' on the controller, PS4 should be 'triangle' and the wheel.....depends on the wheel so have a play around with it. Once you have highlighted the strategy, go back and then close the pit menu and it will do EXACTLY what you set for that strategy, I have had 0 issues with it working this way...apart from when I highlighted the wrong one :P It saves a lot of time for the race, and the only issue is you need to set it all up for each race you do where you're going to use it, so you kind of need to know and plan for that race, but it works nicely for me.

balderz002
10-02-2016, 09:59
TBH, in SP, I have, in QRW, had a few quali laps at Oserschleben end by the time i get half way around the track, to about the back straight. I dont know if my race weekend setup makes a difference? I only run 10 mins quali, then into the race.

(the only reason i talk about that circuit, is thats all I've been racing the last couple of weeks, and the location on the circuit, to say, its about 1 minute into the lap when it gets canned.)

Fanapryde
10-02-2016, 10:08
Well that's a strange one because I can.
I can....most of the time...
I have had a few exceptions though, which came as a surprise. Don't really remember which races.

Pit preset mostly poses an issue (career mode/PC)
While there is room for different setups, for some reason, no matter how many times I mark the one I need, the game chooses the one first on the list. I ended up deleting all, except the one I need for the actual race.

Only yesterday (LMP1 American Endurance Road America) I had no time to edit the preset, because my box was one of the first in the lane, which lead to leaving the pits with slicks in stead of wets...forcing me to another pit stop...
So yes, sometimes it would be useful to be able to edit the preset a bit earlier...

APR193
10-02-2016, 11:01
Regarding not being able to complete your qualifying lap, I think it works in the sense that your first session of the weekend is over when the time is over. I've mostly not had a problem with not being able to complete my last qualy lap, but if I don't complete a practice session, then qualifying finishes when the time runs out whether I'm in the pits or on a fast lap. Only when qualifying is the first session I complete though.

Tomcul
10-02-2016, 19:25
1- you could use the previous 10-30 minutes to practice and quali
2-we don't have the series that use it, mostly as you say btcc and wtcc
3-if I qualify first I expect to be first on grid otherwise I won't bother qualifying, same with any position
4-agreed slipstream is a bit off but more so for the ai they don't get as strong an effect
5-as stated above pit strategy can be set up quite well for each race

NEPALII
10-02-2016, 22:19
About point 5, although you can't edit it out on track, in a warm up, practice or qualifying session prior to the race, you can create up to 10 pitstop strategies from the pits in the pit strategy menu. So if you've got an up coming endurance race, you can create say 3 strategies for planned stops 1, 2 and 3 (or however many you need to do), and then any potential variations for alternate strategies or emergencies (medium tyre switch, quick splash of fuel, no fuel or tyres but damage repair).

When in the race and you come into the pits, when the menu pops up go to 'view saved' and then either click with the mouse the boxes that say 'yes' or 'no' to tick and select which strategy you want to use. If your on xbox, it's 'Y' on the controller, PS4 should be 'triangle' and the wheel.....depends on the wheel so have a play around with it. Once you have highlighted the strategy, go back and then close the pit menu and it will do EXACTLY what you set for that strategy, I have had 0 issues with it working this way...apart from when I highlighted the wrong one :P It saves a lot of time for the race, and the only issue is you need to set it all up for each race you do where you're going to use it, so you kind of need to know and plan for that race, but it works nicely for me.

Well, this really isn't ideal. I rather just have one strategy saved and change it throughout the race as needed. Imagine if you have an accident and you need repairs, changing this while in the pits will make you lose more time. I do like the multiple strategy option, I just wanted the ability to edit the strategy while driving and not when you get into the pits.

Yes, I am talking about MP. Why is it not implemented in MP?

Silraed
11-02-2016, 00:30
I have had my final quali lap cut on me when I was on course to significantly better my time on four occasions now since patch 8. It worked perfectly fine before that since the fix to it a couple patches ago, it is only since patch 8 that I am having it happen again.

I almost exclusively run quick race weekends with either 10 or 15 minute quali sessions, can't find any connection to how many sessions you run in the weekend (warmup, practice 1/2 etc).

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
11-02-2016, 00:32
Yes, I am talking about MP. Why is it not implemented in MP?I think it's to prevent trolls from extending the end of the session by driving veeeeerrrrrryyyyy slowly around the track after the time has run out.

NEPALII
11-02-2016, 01:37
I think it's to prevent trolls from extending the end of the session by driving veeeeerrrrrryyyyy slowly around the track after the time has run out.

Maybe make it an ON/OFF option on the dedicated server? The server can enable or disable this. Seems to be the best approach.

Other sims have it time based, which is fine but if you are in a long track such as Nordschleife and you are at the start of the lap then you will never be able to finish the lap. So an ON/OFF, in my opinion, seems to be the best approach.

KkDrummer
11-02-2016, 16:04
I can always finish qualify session, but this is single mode. Not sure about career. MP does not allow you to finish your lap...

NEPALII
12-02-2016, 16:14
Having read from some people that pCars will NOT be getting any new features but just bug fixes, if it is true, then there goes my list of suggestions. Very disappointing if this is true. :(

On the other hand, maybe pCars 2 isn't too far away and it will be released, hopefully, as a more complete package even though I rather have the features added in pCars 1 and not have to buy pCars 2 to get new features.

APR193
12-02-2016, 16:47
Having read from some people that pCars will NOT be getting any new features but just bug fixes, if it is true, then there goes my list of suggestions. Very disappointing if this is true. :(

On the other hand, maybe pCars 2 isn't too far away and it will be released, hopefully, as a more complete package even though I rather have the features added in pCars 1 and not have to buy pCars 2 to get new features.

Unless something has changed since it was said that this was the case, then Pcars 2 isn't until late 2017 at the earliest

Neil Bateman
12-02-2016, 17:20
I think it's to prevent trolls from extending the end of the session by driving veeeeerrrrrryyyyy slowly around the track after the time has run out.

Seems hard to believe that with millions of users this is implemented as a no choice option just to prevent a few idiots online messing around.

As has been mentioned an ON/OFF option surely was the way to go, i mean you could say 1 million users in total and 100 will be idiots so lets upset the other 999,900 users and add this as a feature.

Fanapryde
12-02-2016, 17:24
Seems hard to believe that with millions of users this is implemented as a no choice option just to prevent a few idiots online messing around.

As has been mentioned an ON/OFF option surely was the way to go, i mean you could say 1 million users in total and 100 will be idiots so lets upset the other 999,900 users and add this as a feature.

It does take far less than 100 idiots to upset 1 million users...

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-02-2016, 17:36
Have to say that personally I don't get why it's such a big deal not to be able to finish your lap, the only thing it basically means is that you have one lap less that you can do.

Torre
13-02-2016, 11:20
i did some downloads in the part : ON DEMAND : al those cars who are free of charges, i store them. But know i don't find them in mij car list to drive them. Could please sombody help me?