PDA

View Full Version : The impossible Combo with a controller : lotus 98 T / Spa Rain

Funzy2a
10-02-2016, 21:05
Hi all,

I am ....... tired ......

i have choosen to enter the Classic F1 Vintage event.

I am trying since three weeks to drive the lotus 98 T in Spa, Rain, with a controller / Default Setup / Rain tyres.

And it's impossible....

I have tried to change my controller settings with multiple tests but i can't drive the car on this track with this weather.

I wonder if someone has tried this combo ? and how you perform ?

edit: I drive without assit and i have no problem with other cars / tracks / weather until now.

DreamsKnight
11-02-2016, 01:25
Long the gear, softer rear bump, reduce the wastegate.

You are speaking of the most powerful beast in the game, the problem is not the controller ,:D

DECATUR PLAYA
11-02-2016, 02:05
Hi all,

I am ....... tired ......

i have choosen to enter the Classic F1 Vintage event.

I am trying since three weeks to drive the lotus 98 T in Spa, Rain, with a controller / Default Setup / Rain tyres.

And it's impossible....

I have tried to change my controller settings with multiple tests but i can't drive the car on this track with this weather.

I wonder if someone has tried this combo ? and how you perform ?

edit: I drive without assit and i have no problem with other cars / tracks / weather until now.

I struggled with the 98t also. The car is nothing but power. The rear end wants to kick out on corner exit. The only thing you can do is be very easy with the throttle when exiting a turn or it will spin out on you. There are some things you can do from a tuning standpoint but ultimately throttle control is the only way to control this beast.

I play with a controller also.

Krus Control
11-02-2016, 02:06
Make sure to turn wastegate to 6.0 ;)

marshma11ow8
11-02-2016, 02:41
And make sure to buy a wheel

Jego
11-02-2016, 07:28
Shift up early!

havocc
11-02-2016, 08:49
with great turbo comes great responsibility...

DreamsKnight
11-02-2016, 11:03

epic post.

Funzy2a
11-02-2016, 16:32
Hi all.

You are speaking of the most powerful beast in the game, the problem is not the controller ,:D

Make sure to turn wastegate to 6.0 ;)

I will try the tunning tips.

I struggled with the 98t also. The car is nothing but power. The rear end wants to kick out on corner exit. The only thing you can do is be very easy with the throttle when exiting a turn or it will spin out on you. There are some things you can do from a tuning standpoint but ultimately throttle control is the only way to control this beast.

I play with a controller also.

Shift up early!

I think i am smooth with the throttle and shift up early but not enough perhaps ???

And make sure to buy a wheel

Yes, it's certainly the next steps .... :D

:D

Krus Control
11-02-2016, 17:06
Just to clarify the suggestion to tyrn up wastegate was a joke. The last thing you need in this situation is more power (which is what turning up wastegate does). Try fiddling with the differential. 20% acc lock, 80% dec lock and 200 preload should put you in the right range.

DreamsKnight
11-02-2016, 18:32

i add something:

reduce rear spring, fast rear bumps at minimum.

forget full throttle in the rain, also in straights. i win ai at 90 or 95 last week in this race, but in qualifying with rain i was fifth. ;)

Krus Control
11-02-2016, 19:00
I've had success raising springs in this car as well. It depends on where the rest of the setup is. This car gets complicated because the tires deal with a huge amount of forces. I would say sort out diff first, then see if springs need changes. It's difficult to judge whether this car needs stiffening or softening with springs and roll bars.

hkraft300
12-02-2016, 06:49
I've had a little success stiffening the springs to keep it from bottoming out. Accel ~25%. With the right gear ratios you can short shift to 3rd just as the boost comes on and full throttle it through to 5th. The rain tyres are pretty good on this car. Lots of down force. Dial out some of the under steer and give it the full beans. The harder you drive it, the easier it gets; could be the aero making it easier at speed.

Voting this one post of the month.

Invincible
12-02-2016, 07:49

We should have a "Post of the month"-thread. Only posts from non-SMS users are eligible for voting.

/OT

DreamsKnight
12-02-2016, 07:53
I've had success raising springs in this car as well. It depends on where the rest of the setup is. This car gets complicated because the tires deal with a huge amount of forces. I would say sort out diff first, then see if springs need changes. It's difficult to judge whether this car needs stiffening or softening with springs and roll bars.

I've had a little success stiffening the springs to keep it from bottoming out. Accel ~25%. With the right gear ratios you can short shift to 3rd just as the boost comes on and full throttle it through to 5th. The rain tyres are pretty good on this car. Lots of down force. Dial out some of the under steer and give it the full beans. The harder you drive it, the easier it gets; could be the aero making it easier at speed.

You both are right, i forgot that step, raise both springs. The car is very soft.
It is also true that i was giving general tips. :D

hkraft300
12-02-2016, 12:32
I wouldn't raise it too much. Soft springs maybe for a slow and bumpy track, but Spa is fast smooth and aero dependant.
Stiff springs also work better in the dry. In the wet generally you want to go softer but keep it neutral. I tend to run more wing qt the front to balance it better.
Don't pile on the understeer to save you from the power oversteer: gear ratios, diff and most importantly throttle control.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-02-2016, 13:01
Don't pile on the understeer to save you from the power oversteer: gear ratios, diff and most importantly throttle control.Yeah, sometimes I see setups that are trying to deal with power oversteer by tuning it so far towards understeer that the only way to get the car to turn at all is to get exactly that, power oversteer. That makes your options pretty horrible, you either have to choose between terminal understeer or power oversteer, nothing in between. I've always preferred a setup that allows me to turn the car freely and being a bit more careful on the throttle.

hkraft300
12-02-2016, 13:26
I hate under steer.
Neutral setups work best for me with a slight rear bias for down force. I don't have the throttle control or the fine correction steering with my fingers on the gamepad unfortunately.
Though it is an approach I learned from you on this forum: that oversteer could be a result of overdriving an understeery car...

Funzy2a
13-02-2016, 12:47
Thanks all for you replies.

I have made some settings (diff, spring, etc...) as suggest but it's difficult.

The longs curves are hard to take and i often crash into the wall cause i only turn a little inch too far the wheel (and the stick of course !!!)

When i stay on track, my best time is for now 2.13.566 !!!! (13th in qualifying at 70 % AI).

What are your time ? have you a video ? and what are your controller settings ?