PDA

View Full Version : Why do AI drivers pit every lap?

Schep
11-02-2016, 18:43
Was in a GT3 race on Sakitto, foggy and rain. 85% difficulty, 100% time. Did 15 laps, was in first place with a 7 second lead. Had to go for dinner, let AI driver take over. I come back from dinner and Im in last place. I watched the replay and it turns out the AI driver pitted every single lap. Why do they do this and is there a way to prevent that from happening? It ruined my entire race and now I have to spend another hour and a half to do the race again...

Animera
12-02-2016, 00:29
It's your pit stop strategy. If the strategy is set for softs / slicks the AI will keep putting those on, even if it's raining.
This causes him to come back to the pits every lap. He wants rain tyres but doesn't get them.

hkraft300
12-02-2016, 14:18
^ interesting!
I'll have to keep that in mind for future endurance races :)

Invincible
12-02-2016, 14:35
Poor guy. Can you imagine him, crying under his helmet, begging for rain tires, and all he gets are a full tank and effing soft slicks? Lap after lap after lap...
This guy must've gotten really desperate.

Schep
13-02-2016, 08:18
Oh ok. Thanks for the reply. ;)

N0body Of The Goat
13-02-2016, 10:04
It's your pit stop strategy. If the strategy is set for softs / slicks the AI will keep putting those on, even if it's raining.
This causes him to come back to the pits every lap. He wants rain tyres but doesn't get them.

If your custom pit strategy does indeed affect AI, that is a pretty serious issue!

Umer Ahmad
13-02-2016, 10:12
So you prefer your AI co-pilot NOT to follow your custom/specific instructions? Would that not be a worse problem?

N0body Of The Goat
13-02-2016, 10:40
In wet/dry changing weather conditions, pre-race tyre strategies have to go out of the window, you have to react to the changes and be on the right tyre at the right time to be in with a shot at a good race result.

It sounds like some of the AI co-pilot logic is in place, because if you have a strategy of slicks and it is raining, the co-pilot keeps coming back to the pits every lap. We just need the co-pilot to override the tyre option and get the pit crew to fit rain tyres.

In a race where it remains dry, then the co-pilot should stick to your strategy as regards dry slick tyre options.

Invincible
13-02-2016, 11:25
What I would like more than not sticking to my strategy would be to use my damn setup! Every time I switch over to Ai, the top speed on Mulsanne is like 20km/h slower than mine because the AI uses the default gear ratios instead of the ones I've set.