PDA

View Full Version : Pit Strategy - Tyre Preassure

BigAlex
12-02-2016, 18:48
Folks,

Just to want to clarify how to better set up your pit strategy. It seems simple but I keep getting confused with its behaviour during races.

Some questions?

Fuel quantity: We have shaded area that I suppose is the current fuel quantity in the tank and then you have a meter that you can slide from one side to another. What if I don't touch this? No fuel will be added or substracted from the tank? Some times the pit crew insists in filling up my tank to the maximum in spite of anything.

What about those tyre pressures? Will they only be used when putting new tyres on or will it mess with my current (used) tyres?

Sometimes It seems to alter my tyre preassures even when I don't change them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Neil Bateman
12-02-2016, 20:13
If you move the fuel slider all the way to the left you get no fuel added all the way to the right you get a full tank, i think the grey area is either what fuel you started the race with or how much you have left when you pit but i am not sure on that, i think whatever amount you move the slider to that is how much you get added to the tank, with tyre pressure you have to set those to your desired pressure before the race start, whatever the pressure in your strategy is what you get, not what you have in your race set up.

hkraft300
13-02-2016, 03:16
The grey is the amount of fuel present in the tank at the time you box. I've never had the pit crew fill my tank when I didn't request it.
Moving the slider into the clear area adds fuel to the tank. Think of the bar as the tank level or your fuel meter.
Even if you don't change tyres your pressures will be changed.
You want to select the same compound (even if you don't change the tyres).
Now here's where it gets tricky: I'm yet to figure out whether (and for which classes) the crew is adjusting cold pressure, "warm" pressure (as in the pressure with cars using tyre warmers), or hot pressure (current pressure as you enter pit lane).

BigAlex
15-02-2016, 16:45
At first anyone would think that the tyre pressure and Tyre compounds would be used only when changing tyres. I have never seen a car adjust tyre pressure in a ongoing tyre. Maybe I am wrong.

hkraft300
16-02-2016, 06:18
Trust me its useful to drop pressure in changing conditions like day to night when temps are dropping but you don't yet need to kill 17 seconds for a tyre change.

jimmyb_84
16-02-2016, 23:09
At first anyone would think that the tyre pressure and Tyre compounds would be used only when changing tyres. I have never seen a car adjust tyre pressure in a ongoing tyre. Maybe I am wrong.

That happened in the Rolex 24 and Bathurst 12hr recently