PDA

View Full Version : help why am i losing so much time and places by pitting?

kevin kirk
15-02-2016, 20:13
Quick single player One hour race, no damage, penalties off. Default pit stop settings with tire change and default set up. Fuel use real, tire use real. GT3 same class race. Driving McLaren. I stay in the 8th spot until I have to pit for fuel. Come out 29th. Finish in 21st with cars ahead piting much later than me some in the last 5 minutes of the race. What am I doing wrong? Are the AI not changing tires or not pitting at all?

Mahjik
15-02-2016, 20:32
They likely aren't changing tires.

kevin kirk
15-02-2016, 20:56
They likely aren't changing tires.
....Are they starting the race on the default setup for their particular car allowing me to just look at that cars default setup to know how much fuel they start with verses my car. They went much father than me before stopping or does the gt3 cars vary that much on fuel usage that some of them can go 15 minutes longer than me on their fuel run. I start with default fuel load.

bradleyland
15-02-2016, 20:58
When you finish the race, are you finishing with lots of fuel left over? I keep notes on my fuel consumption during practice & qualifying so I have an idea of what my consumption rate is like, then I use that to adjust my pit stop settings.

Puffpirat
15-02-2016, 21:21
....I start with default fuel load.That could be the problem. The fastest way in pCARS is to fill the tank to the brim. Refueling loses you more time than the bit of pace that you sacrifice with the heavier car.

Say 40 laps race: Even if your tires last 20 and your fuel 30 laps, fill it completely, change tires during the stop and only add the fuel for the missing 10 laps. Quicker than doing 20 laps of fuel and then refueling 20 laps of fuel :)

kevin kirk
15-02-2016, 22:12
use full tanks to get the full life out of tires and fuel tank before stopping to pit during the race until the last stop of the race were you only refill wants needed. Thanks guys.

Doge
16-02-2016, 00:09
That could be the problem. The fastest way in pCARS is to fill the tank to the brim. Refueling loses you more time than the bit of pace that you sacrifice with the heavier car.

Say 40 laps race: Even if your tires last 20 and your fuel 30 laps, fill it completely, change tires during the stop and only add the fuel for the missing 10 laps. Quicker than doing 20 laps of fuel and then refueling 20 laps of fuel :)

They should have fixed that ages ago.

The invisible crew was the perfect chance to make tyres and fuel work happen at the same time in the classes where itīs allowed, and to adjust the flow rate of the refueling per series too.

The failure to solve this lead to absurd strategies like this working :eek:

kevin kirk
16-02-2016, 00:59

The invisible crew was the perfect chance to make tyres and fuel work happen at the same time in the classes where itīs allowed, and to adjust the flow rate of the refueling per series too.

The failure to solve this lead to absurd strategies like this working :eek:......I guess I view it as what really cause a pit plan to work or not depends on how the AI run the race. Not so much as to how the game is made or functions. Meaning as long as the AI cant take tires during refueling just like I cant then there is no issue to solve. I am finding I cant do the nascar short pitting like I'm used to racing nascar but hey, that's the fun of it.

E_Luckow
16-02-2016, 03:37
Interesting. Never had such problems. My pit strategy was always based on starting the race with enough fuel just for the first stint.

Yorkie065
16-02-2016, 08:55

The failure to solve this lead to absurd strategies like this working :eek:

In the GT3 class however, it isn't allowed. Fuel and tyres have to be done separately so it is quicker to fill the car with enough fuel to go the full race distance, and just pit for tyres when needed because as Puffpirat said, the time gained/lost isn't worth it.

Would be nice though to see it altered so it's correct for each racing discipline.