PDA

View Full Version : Finish Order Changes Between Race and Standings Screen

SenorPez
15-02-2016, 20:47
In working on the Replay Enhancer (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43736-UDP-Replay-Enhancer), I've encountered a strange situation that seems like an edge case, and wanted to ask if I'm missing something, or if anyone's encountered and solved this problem before.

A given car's race ends when it crosses the start-finish line after the car in P1 completes the race distance or time. That's known.
In the race in question, however, the car in P3 crosses the line before the car in P4. "Duh," you say. "That's how things are supposed to happen." This is backed up by the raw telemetry data: The P3 car is listed in position 3, and its lap counter ticks over to the next lap before the P4 car's lap counter ticks over less than a second later.

However, somehow, the race time for the P3 car is greater than the race time for the P4 car. Both the in-game results screen and the calculated Replay Enhancer results screen show the same total time. And on the in-game results screen, the P4 car is awarded third place, despite crossing the line after the car in P3. Position data even shows the P4 car behind the P3 car, yet somehow time passed... slower... for them?

What in the world is going on here?

Is there a time penalty being applied somewhere to the P3 car, so that even though they finish the race faster than the P4 car, they have a higher race time, and thus, end in 4th?
Is there a multiplayer concession at work here, in which perhaps P4 wasn't fully loaded, and got the benefit of the doubt? (Due to bad Internet, I don't do much multi.)

If anyone has any idea, please let me know! It's driving me crazy!

EDIT (in addition to title): I actually have a source video that I used for testing the Replay Enhancer where you can see, in front of the player car, the situation described above.

azidahaka
16-02-2016, 13:49
Is this in a Time based race? If so it may happen often that the 3rd driver do not take the checkered flag and the ones following him do...

Pamellaaa
16-02-2016, 14:03
This happens quite often in our races as well, I would say once every 3 races or so a couple of drivers are transposed in the race results screen. Wild guess would suggest the timers are starting at different points (startline sync bug might cause this for example) and is therefore messing up race results for drivers who finish close together at the end of the race.

Would be very keen to see this sorted or at least know the cause so that we can be on the lookout for it when it does occur, its been like this for as long as I can remember.

Pamellaaa
19-02-2016, 15:05
A little bit of a bump for this one, we experienced it again during races held last night. Certain people seem to be more likely to experience this than others as every time recently I can remember it happening to us it has affected one specific driver (sometimes amongst others).

Would this also make more sense in the Technical Support forum rather than in the App and API one as it is highly likely to be the same issue but has effects outside of the app and API systems? Might also be worth re-titling the thread to improve visibility and see if we can get more reports from others who experience it.

SenorPez
19-02-2016, 22:11
Changed the title. Mods, can you move this to Tech Support?

Yorkie065
19-02-2016, 22:29
I've seen it a number of times, and experienced it myself. It seems to be happening when drivers finish close together (within less than a second) but it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes it shows the correct positions they crossed the line in, others it reverses the order and puts the guy who say, finished in 3rd in 4th and the guy who finished 4th in 3rd. I also have footage proof of this happening, and as far as I can remember has happened since launch.

OBigO
20-02-2016, 19:20
Yep happened to me last night, I was a car length back from 3rd but it showed me 3rd in the standings.

AndrexUK
24-02-2016, 14:30
Yup, must be something to do with the standings displaying the results in the order of 'total time', and the driver who was close behind another, has a shorter 'total time' due to some sort of start/time sync'.
Defo needs to be in the tech support thread imo.