PDA

View Full Version : How to combat the changes made for people using gamepads?

KinkyRabbit97
18-02-2016, 16:08
Hi all,

I regularly commit the heinous act of using a gamepad to play the game on my Xbox, it's terrible I know but I cannot afford a proper wheel and other costs come first. Anyway, I race on a website and it has recently become more difficult to drive on a pad, my friend told me that this is because changes were made to make it more difficult for pad players to race for some reason. now i'm not complaining but I'd like to find a way to go as fast as I used to.

Any tips?

Cheers.

Alexandre Bardet
18-02-2016, 16:26
I play on PS4 with gamepad and I can get to the top page of the leaderboards. You just need to google the proper settings for your controller.

Mahjik
18-02-2016, 16:30
Check this thread: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23153-Xbox-One-Controller-Configuration-Guide

bc525
18-02-2016, 16:45
I use the gamepad for my Xbox and I haven't noticed any changes that made racing with the controller more difficult. Looking at the TT leaderboards there seems to be a fairly good mix of wheel and gamepad users.

To me it seems like car tuning and set-ups are where the greatest gains in lap times can be made - and unfortunately I'm awful at car tuning, just too impatient.

Flat_out
18-02-2016, 16:47
After a couple of patches I have noticed changes in handling.But these can be counteracted by changing your controller settings!

kevin kirk
18-02-2016, 16:56
If the people you race with put you down for using a pad then you need to find new people to race with. I think the dumbest remark I have ever read about pad players, on facebook I think it was, is they are racing while eating chips,or answering the phone and so on. I myself have to focus so hard trying to play this on controller that one of my eye lids will start twitching.

Fractured Life
18-02-2016, 17:13
After a couple of patches I have noticed changes in handling.But these can be counteracted by changing your controller settings!

I didn't think they had changed anything specifically for the pad since before christmas. The Tyre heating issues did seem to hit the pad users somewhat but changes were made for a number of reasons that went too far the other way and so I think the first patch after Christmas had the final update to tyres rolling back to some happier medium from before. Its only different now in terms of the tyre model and camber fixes which is the same for all pretty much.
Can still set decent times on a pad with plenty of practice and a few car setup tweaks. Main thing is to just find something that you feel comfortable with and stick with it even if it seems slow to begin with. Constantly changing config at the start screwed me up for a long time, I think thats the biggest waste of time. Stick with a pad config and then once you have a good idea of how its reacting in different situations over many different tracks, cars and conditions, start moving on to the setups and tuning out any issues you are coming across.

With whatever way I have set my pad up I always run slowest steering rack and because I haven't touched the pad config in a long time I'm used to how the car responds to what I'm doing. With Default rack settings I would always spin off in the second 'flick' of any chicane so that seemed to fix that and since I can concentrate on the rest of the setup. To begin I was just chopping and changing pad config settings per track and nothing ever felt the same and car setup changes had different effects than exepected even on the same tracks. Give yourself a month or so with a pad config and learn the sh!t out of it. Whatever I'm using now works for all cars for me and thats the most important thing as I can jump on any track in any car and know pretty much whats going to happen when I start making setup tweaks. Or Driving.

DECATUR PLAYA
18-02-2016, 17:14
Hi all,

I regularly commit the heinous act of using a gamepad to play the game on my Xbox, it's terrible I know but I cannot afford a proper wheel and other costs come first. Anyway, I race on a website and it has recently become more difficult to drive on a pad, my friend told me that this is because changes were made to make it more difficult for pad players to race for some reason. now i'm not complaining but I'd like to find a way to go as fast as I used to.

Any tips?

Cheers.

The game is a little more difficult for all players not just the gamepad. I play with a controller to and you don't need to change your controller settings either.

The difference you are feeling is in the tire physics. The last few patches have changed the physics of the tires to give a more realistic feel. The changes from patch 5 to patch 8 were all over the place as SMS was responding to complaints about proper tire physics. With patch 8 i think they found the sweet spot and the physics are good now and I believe that SMS will leave them this way.

If racing with a default setup the new tire physics will completely change your experience to put it simply you have to drive your tires with more finesse. The harder you drive the tire the more that you will beat the tire into submission the less grip you will have.

If you tune your car then you pretty much just have to make some adjustments to reach previous grip levels but out on the track you still have to finesse the tires.

You also have to take into account the patch 7 camber changes. If you was running the 0 camber trick with the patch 7 camber fix that 0 camber now feels very sloppy out on the track.

DECATUR PLAYA
18-02-2016, 17:17
I didn't think they had changed anything specifically for the pad since before christmas. The Tyre heating issues did seem to hit the pad users somewhat but changes were made for a number of reasons that went too far the other way and so I think the first patch after Christmas had the final update to tyres rolling back to some happier medium from before. Its only different now in terms of the tyre model and camber fixes which is the same for all pretty much.
Can still set decent times on a pad with plenty of practice and a few car setup tweaks. Main thing is to just find something that you feel comfortable with and stick with it even if it seems slow to begin with. Constantly changing config at the start screwed me up for a long time, I think thats the biggest waste of time. Stick with a pad config and then once you have a good idea of how its reacting in different situations over many different tracks, cars and conditions, start moving on to the setups and tuning out any issues you are coming across.

With whatever way I have set my pad up I always run slowest steering rack and because I haven't touched the pad config in a long time I'm used to how the car responds to what I'm doing. With Default rack settings I would always spin off in the second 'flick' of any chicane so that seemed to fix that and since I can concentrate on the rest of the setup. To begin I was just chopping and changing pad config settings per track and nothing ever felt the same and car setup changes had different effects than exepected even on the same tracks. Give yourself a month or so with a pad config and learn the sh!t out of it. Whatever I'm using now works for all cars for me and thats the most important thing as I can jump on any track in any car and know pretty much whats going to happen when I start making setup tweaks. Or Driving.

Wish I read this before I wrote my post. Yeah what he said ^

Sloskimo
18-02-2016, 17:27
It probably is just the tires that changed, i cannot Find the post, but it mentioned something like: "We're not making things harder for pad users, but we don't give them an advantage either."

Which is just as well, played my fair share of forza and it was just funny seeing pad users going around corners full lock, tires smoking, but hitting the apex, while they should have understeered right off the track.

Fractured Life
18-02-2016, 17:38
Wish I read this before I wrote my post. Yeah what he said ^

4:20 just passed, was bored at work. It took me so long to write that I had to log in twice just to post it. Sorry it took me so long :)

Agree with the above. Where is the fun ploughing round at full lock with no effect. I love that it will throw me in a wall and catapult me out in front of one or two league buddies setting off a huge chain reaction and hurting some people races (this happened last Sunday), if I just try and plough round...that's what should happen and though I looked like an idiot and felt even worse than anything that I could be called, it's what makes the racing "real" in this game compared to some others. Consequences are amazing in this game lol

DECATUR PLAYA
18-02-2016, 17:40
4:20 just passed, was bored at work. It took me so long to write that I had to log in twice just to post it. Sorry it took me so long :)

Agree with the above. Where is the fun ploughing round at full lock with no effect. I love that it will throw me in a wall and catapult me out in front of one or two league buddies setting off a huge chain reaction and hurting some people races (this happened last Sunday), if I just try and plough round...that's what should happen and though I looked like an idiot and felt even worse than anything that I could be called, it's what makes the racing "real" in this game compared to some others. Consequences are amazing in this game lol

Amazing

BigDad
19-02-2016, 07:48
I deleted everything and reinstalled the whole game and default settings for DS4 works better than ever .
I usually use a wheel but if it's late i might just use the pad.

Fernandito
19-02-2016, 07:56
Hi all,

Any tips?

Cheers.I'm miles faster with the pad and don't need to apologize for not using the wheel, which I have as well (t300), so relax man, relax. By any means it's terrible.

They have indeed changed some of the settings (type 2 handling, the optimal one), but all you have to do is to restore the dead zones manually (throttle and brakes) to their old "4" values. That's all. The physcis haven't been changed for the pad exclusively but for all users.

KinkyRabbit97
19-02-2016, 10:42
Its not that im being "put down" for using it i just thought it was a sim racer things to use a wheel. Anyway thanks for the tips guys, like others have said i dont know how to tune and i have not got the patience for it so its frustrating when the default setting arent working for me. Sounds like i just need practice and a place to find a setup that works for my driving style which is probably far too aggressive lol.

Fractured Life
19-02-2016, 13:23
Its not that im being "put down" for using it i just thought it was a sim racer things to use a wheel. Anyway thanks for the tips guys, like others have said i dont know how to tune and i have not got the patience for it so its frustrating when the default setting arent working for me. Sounds like i just need practice and a place to find a setup that works for my driving style which is probably far too aggressive lol.

Get the pcars setups database in your favorites, get the pcars dash app on your phone/tablet and you'll be able to see what most changes you make are doing.

People who post the setups will usually give a time they hit and what control method. Pretty cool site if you are looking for setup ideas.