PDA

View Full Version : Im Outraged

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 00:11
But I don't find it funny anymore. I can live with being disconnected sometimes or having wheel clipping but when my car is constantly getting destroyed by thin air, its just taking the mick now.
All I want to do is race but almost every time I go into a race I get these issues, its not only ruining my race but it can effect others and how hard it is making my wheel snap left I pretty sure it wont be long for that packs it in too. I just want to know the truth do you guys actually know how to fix these issues and will it be in pCars2 because its just outrageous. How can I enjoy this game when all I get every other race is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzfPIufTMsk

The worst thing is, is that this is just from the last 4 weeks and I have about 4 others bugs like this that I didn't even bother to save. So let me know from now if this rubbish is going to be in pCars2 so I can save myself £50 quid next time round....

c_larkey
23-02-2016, 00:20
It must be your connection :D

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 00:23
It must be your connection :D

Lol hmmm I guess 100mb aint enough maybe its my driving style.

c_larkey
23-02-2016, 00:24
I've never seen these types of bugs before are they new?

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 00:27
I've never seen these types of bugs before are they new?

No not for me mate. Either I have the worst luck or the guy in front has a bunch of hand grenades. Hmmm but then again I was by myself in 1 of those clips.

STEELJOCKEY
23-02-2016, 00:29
Wow, serious landmines. Have you tried doing a complete fresh reinstall?

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 00:30
Wow, serious landmines. Have you tried doing a complete fresh reinstall?

I haven't mate but that literally is my last option.

kevin kirk
23-02-2016, 00:39
Browse around on the different gaming forums. Playstation is having a huge issues with online play for many different games.From shooter games to racing games. Its a bigger problem than just on one game.

DreamsKnight
23-02-2016, 00:49
Never happened in about 250h.
But my wheel don't clip. Search some guides and start from this point

Umer Ahmad
23-02-2016, 01:57
Any pattersn to this? Happens ONLINE mostly or about the same offline too?

MISTER WU
23-02-2016, 03:54
Not sure if its me but right hand turns seem to be whats causing it.
I would try with a keyboard because its almost like the wheel is shorting out or something. if you have a wheel that is

barrybrendan68
23-02-2016, 05:28
Have you considered re-installing? Most of these bugs are temporary, because they interfere (http://www.harveyillocksmith.com/) with your config.

NoBrakes
23-02-2016, 06:06
Have you considered re-installing? Most of these bugs are temporary, because they interfere (http://www.harveyillocksmith.com/) with your config.

If I am right he is playing (or trying to play) it on a PS4, so there shouldn't be much he can do to his config?! On the PC side I have never seen issues as strong as this one but we have the R8V10 suddenly getting stuck at certain tracks when the bottom hits the track or curbs. Maybe it's a similar issue on the PS4 with too low suspensions?

Riccardo De Rosa
23-02-2016, 06:29

It happens on and offline to my friend with ps4. he has never calibrate the steering wheel but I do not know if it is the cause.

spacepadrille
23-02-2016, 09:12
It happened twice to me after I made a fresh instal (after patch 8)....

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 09:30

Yeah it happens offline too m8 not sure what to try next.

Sankyo
23-02-2016, 10:33
But I don't find it funny anymore. I can live with being disconnected sometimes or having wheel clipping but when my car is constantly getting destroyed by thin air, its just taking the mick now.
All I want to do is race but almost every time I go into a race I get these issues, its not only ruining my race but it can effect others and how hard it is making my wheel snap left I pretty sure it wont be long for that packs it in too. I just want to know the truth do you guys actually know how to fix these issues and will it be in pCars2 because its just outrageous. How can I enjoy this game when all I get every other race is this

The worst thing is, is that this is just from the last 4 weeks and I have about 4 others bugs like this that I didn't even bother to save. So let me know from now if this rubbish is going to be in pCars2 so I can save myself £50 quid next time round....
Really odd, certainly not normal/happening to everyone on PS4 or we'd know about it I think.

I think that PS4 has an option to rebuild the database or something? Did you try that?

Riccardo De Rosa
23-02-2016, 10:40
This? http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?31411-Rebuild-database-improved-my-post-patch-performance&p=993154&viewfull=1#post993154
I never tried.

Paulo Ribeiro
23-02-2016, 12:31
I would try with a keyboard because its almost like the wheel is shorting out or something. if you have a wheel that is

Shhhh, or the people of the ovals will claim for only left turns even more. :rolleyes:

mr_belowski
23-02-2016, 12:41
I know it's not a solution, but have you tried using the default car setups for a bit (especially spring rate & ride height), see if it improves things?

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 12:47
Really odd, certainly not normal/happening to everyone on PS4 or we'd know about it I think.

I think that PS4 has an option to rebuild the database or something? Did you try that?

I did actually re-build the database a few weeks back because I kept getting the blue screen when playing project cars.

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 12:50

my answer to that is this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_ml0_cEP8

Ekay.jay
23-02-2016, 13:18
This very same thing happens to me last night. I was driving the Audi R8 ultra at monza, running first going down the front straight. All the sudden I hit a land mine out of no where. The only thing I did notice was that there was a lot of disconnected cars off theside of the track where people had quit the game but their car was still there...

Ekay.jay
23-02-2016, 13:21
Also this was on online, I've had it happen several times. If never ran into it in offline play.

Sankyo
23-02-2016, 13:32

Does it happen in specific situations (e.g. only online), or all the time (online, offline, free practice, career, few AI, many AI, clear weather, rain etc.)?

It is something that is on the list to fix BTW, but most likely pC2 only.

Riccardo De Rosa
23-02-2016, 13:40
Does it happen in specific situations (e.g. only online), or all the time (online, offline, free practice, career, few AI, many AI, clear weather, rain etc.)?

It is something that is on the list to fix BTW, but most likely pC2 only.

to me:
PS4
Offline - clear weather - 1 hour race - race 1 with 1 human vs 23 Ai - Hockeneim all ok
Offilne - clear weather - 1 hour race - race 2 ( after race 1) with 1 human vs 23 AI - Hockeneim - it has happened five laps to go :(

Djuvinile
23-02-2016, 14:01
yes, i can definetely agree with this bug.. skip to +/- 1.00min in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBUQiqYDmc
it is very very anoying... next to that the disconnecting is happening way more frequently since 8.0 in my case.

oh by the way.. this was an online league race (30 min.) with an hour practice and 15 min qualy in front of it.. so you could guess how "entertained" i was..

Liquid7394
23-02-2016, 14:31
I've experienced these issues before. Rebuild database and re-installing did nothing to fix it or any other problems, eventually I stopped getting severe landmines like this but I do still get minor ones sometimes.

Djuvinile
23-02-2016, 14:37
Youre right.. sometimes you see the car drop a bit and you hear a crash noise but you can continue.. i had that several times as well..

racesafegrandad
23-02-2016, 18:36
The more you play Project cars the more bugs you run into. I love this sim and wan't to stay with it but I don't know how long I can put up with the aggravation? Not a moan, just how it is.

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 19:00
The more you play Project cars the more bugs you run into. I love this sim and wan't to stay with it but I don't know how long I can put up with the aggregation? Not a moan, just how it is.

I totally agree with you mate I enjoy playing it but the bugs are just to much at the moment.

KrypticTMG
23-02-2016, 19:03
yes, i can definetely agree with this bug.. skip to +/- 1.00min in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBUQiqYDmc
it is very very anoying... next to that the disconnecting is happening way more frequently since 8.0 in my case.

oh by the way.. this was an online league race (30 min.) with an hour practice and 15 min qualy in front of it.. so you could guess how "entertained" i was..

That's what pee's me off the most is when you spend so long practicing for a league race, your enjoying the race and you just get silly bugs.

maxx69
23-02-2016, 19:55
This game seems to get worse with every patch . I haven't had the massive landmines for a while but get small wheel twitches like someones left a brick in the road or something , more and more regularly . I get a horrible grinding , gritty feeling with the FFB quite often (t300) and my lights turn on for no reason .I leave the pits during long races and the car has reverted to default settings or has the wrong tyres or I cant get out of the pits altogether .
I love this game and feel let down by SMS and Ian Bell and you expect us racing sim fans to go out and buy PCars 2.....
Our race forum refuse to run PCars events now because of all the bugs and disconnection issues . like above , when you put in hours of practice and preparation into a race only to get a disconnect or some other game ruining issue ....its not funny .
I'm just waiting till the end of April ....then shelve this game and hopefully start racing events again with AC

mister dog
23-02-2016, 20:42
These bugs exist since Shift 2:

Crash into nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJDRiT_R2Ek

Flying high:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqK0kInLh14

So these bugs date back 5 years already and are probably rooted deep in the game engine. Consequently i wouldn't get my hopes up for PCARS 1 and instead hope for the best in 2.

bc525
23-02-2016, 21:52
I’ve hit imaginary (non-existent) objects a few times – very rare but it has happened to me.

The three races that I remember were all online. One was at Brands Hatch, another was at Donington Park, and the third was at Road America, and each time my car was either totally destroyed or stuck upside down so there was nothing I could do but quit. I couldn’t even limp back to the pits for repairs. Race immediately over for no reason at all.

ChrisChros87
23-02-2016, 22:05
Happened to the AI at LeMans in LMP1. Wondered why it was in the pits, had to wait for the replay.

How can I get it from my XB1 to YouTube except for recording it with my phone. Can share to Twitter if anybody wants to see?

Riccardo De Rosa
23-02-2016, 22:37

Crash into nothing:
Flying high:
So these bugs date back 5 years already and are probably rooted deep in the game engine. Consequently i wouldn't get my hopes up for PCARS 1 and instead hope for the best in 2.
Pcars2 has a new game engine?

John Hargreaves
23-02-2016, 22:41
Well more like a fundamentally rewritten one, now that they have some financial stability to do what they need to, to address the limitations. They seem to be rebuilding much of the code from the ground up.

mister dog
23-02-2016, 22:43
Pcars2 has a new game engine?
No, but it would definitely be good if SMS delves deep inside it this time and does some necessary bug fishing IMO.

ChrisChros87
23-02-2016, 22:57
Happened again race 2, luckily I missed it

MISTER WU
24-02-2016, 02:19

Flying high:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqK0kInLh14

When i see that i think of that episode of Family Guy where Peter Griffin puts jet fuel in his car after dropping quagmire off.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbnl6o_family-guy-peter-gets-plane-fuel-to_shortfilms

AndrexUK
24-02-2016, 09:53
I've seen this sort of thing many times on the start finish straight, and I believe that it was something to do with a 'ghost' car left behind when someone left the lobby (normally leaving qually session shortly before progressing to race) It would leave an invisible car on the grid (sometimes an external reply would show it, but not while you were actually driving!).
Driving into it, resulted in exactly this type of thing, where the car feels like it hits an invisible wall.
Sometimes, if you were lucky, you might just glance off the invisible car, and on other occasions, I've pushed an invisible car a long way up the grid...

Never seen it anywhere other than on the grid spots, so this is very strange, and very concerning (I can avoid driving up the grid start positions on the start/finish straight, but if they are now not limited to grid spots..... eeeek).

I run on PC, and also use the Crew Chief App, which has a spotter function. It often advises me that there is a 'Car right' (or left) when there is no car thee at all. Almost like it can see the last position of a driver that left the lobby.

Not had a wreck like this for a couple of weeks, so I'm probably due another one soon...

Do you know if anyone left the race / lobby, either during that session, or during previous sessions just before switching sessions?.

bmanic
24-02-2016, 10:38
Lets just remind people that this kind of "invisible wall" bug is NOT unique to pCars only, like some people would have us think. These have happened in iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor, rFactor 2 and several codemasters titles.

Don't believe me? Google is your friend.

Having said that, it seems to be unfortunately a moderately frequent happening in pCars whereas in the other games it's very rare. My guess is that it's a some kind of safety measure that fails randomly while at the same time the car body clips the 3D surface.. or something like that. Having a completely seamless virtual 3D world is as far as I know not at all trivial and the reason for these kinds of glitches in many games (not just racing).

bradleyland
24-02-2016, 14:14
Lets just remind people that this kind of "invisible wall" bug is NOT unique to pCars only, like some people would have us think. These have happened in iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor, rFactor 2 and several codemasters titles.

Don't believe me? Google is your friend.

Having said that, it seems to be unfortunately a moderately frequent happening in pCars whereas in the other games it's very rare. My guess is that it's a some kind of safety measure that fails randomly while at the same time the car body clips the 3D surface.. or something like that. Having a completely seamless virtual 3D world is as far as I know not at all trivial and the reason for these kinds of glitches in many games (not just racing).

Something like that. I'm not sure I'd use the word "safety", but I think you're probably thinking about the problem the right way. I've been meaning to write a post on the topic, but haven't gotten around to it. This seems like as good a time as any.

3D game environments do not work like the real world. In a 3D game, what you see doesn't actually define the boundaries of what would be considered solid objects. Think of everything you see in game as a bunch of holograms that can pass through each other. Layered on top of the visual aspect is what game developers call collision detection. Collision detection defines what can/can't pass through each other, and it's not as simple as coding the game up by saying, "This car model can't pass through this road model." Collision detection is an entire area of expertise in 3D game development.

When you drop a rubber ball on a tile floor, it bounces high. If you drop a rubber ball on the grass out in your yard, it barely bounces at all. In a game, this is part of the physics and collision detection programming. Surfaces in the game have are defined as having specific collision and physics parameters. In ProjectCARS (or any racing simulator), the interaction of your car and the environment is extremely complex. Obviously I haven't seen the ProjectCARS code, but typically the interaction of the car with the road is not modeled in the way you'd expect. It's not as simple as modeling four cylindrical tires and defining their surfaces. Instead, the relative position, attitude, velocity, and vector are input in to a physics model. In complex simulators (like ProjectCARS), this physics model includes code that models each individual tire's interaction with the road surface. The physics model takes all factors in to account (aero, tire-road contact, tire friction, driveline torque, etc) and calculates an outcome that is also expressed as position, attitude, velocity, and vector. This is where landmine bugs are born.

Sometimes the car (or parts of the car) get "outside" of expected parameters. When this happens, you can get odd circumstances that result in output you don't expect. Like if your function always expects positive values, but somehow you end up with a negative value. Or your function expects a fractional value between 0 and 1, but it gets 1,500,000 instead. These unexpected values can come from many places. That's the challenge of tracking down landmine bugs. What looks like a single class of bug to you and I can actually be caused by (literally) hundreds of different circumstances in the game

cluck
24-02-2016, 14:18
Something like that. I'm not sure I'd use the word "safety", but I think you're probably thinking about the problem the right way. I've been meaning to write a post on the topic, but haven't gotten around to it. This seems like as good a time as any.

3D game environments do not work like the real world. In a 3D game, what you see doesn't actually define the boundaries of what would be considered solid objects. Think of everything you see in game as a bunch of holograms that can pass through each other. Layered on top of the visual aspect is what game developers call collision detection. Collision detection defines what can/can't pass through each other, and it's not as simple as coding the game up by saying, "This car model can't pass through this road model." Collision detection is an entire area of expertise in 3D game development.

When you drop a rubber ball on a tile floor, it bounces high. If you drop a rubber ball on the grass out in your yard, it barely bounces at all. In a game, this is part of the physics and collision detection programming. Surfaces in the game have are defined as having specific collision and physics parameters. In ProjectCARS (or any racing simulator), the interaction of your car and the environment is extremely complex. Obviously I haven't seen the ProjectCARS code, but typically the interaction of the car with the road is not modeled in the way you'd expect. It's not as simple as modeling four cylindrical tires and defining their surfaces. Instead, the relative position, attitude, velocity, and vector are input in to a physics model. In complex simulators (like ProjectCARS), this physics model includes code that models each individual tire's interaction with the road surface. The physics model takes all factors in to account (aero, tire-road contact, tire friction, driveline torque, etc) and calculates an outcome that is also expressed as position, attitude, velocity, and vector. This is where landmine bugs are born.

Sometimes the car (or parts of the car) get "outside" of expected parameters. When this happens, you can get odd circumstances that result in output you don't expect. Like if your function always expects positive values, but somehow you end up with a negative value. Or your function expects a fractional value between 0 and 1, but it gets 1,500,000 instead. These unexpected values can come from many places. That's the challenge of tracking down landmine bugs. What looks like a single class of bug to you and I can actually be caused by (literally) hundreds of different circumstances in the gameWhat an excellent post, thanks :yes:.

KrypticTMG
25-02-2016, 19:30
I've seen this sort of thing many times on the start finish straight, and I believe that it was something to do with a 'ghost' car left behind when someone left the lobby (normally leaving qually session shortly before progressing to race) It would leave an invisible car on the grid (sometimes an external reply would show it, but not while you were actually driving!).
Driving into it, resulted in exactly this type of thing, where the car feels like it hits an invisible wall.
Sometimes, if you were lucky, you might just glance off the invisible car, and on other occasions, I've pushed an invisible car a long way up the grid...

Never seen it anywhere other than on the grid spots, so this is very strange, and very concerning (I can avoid driving up the grid start positions on the start/finish straight, but if they are now not limited to grid spots..... eeeek).

I run on PC, and also use the Crew Chief App, which has a spotter function. It often advises me that there is a 'Car right' (or left) when there is no car thee at all. Almost like it can see the last position of a driver that left the lobby.

Not had a wreck like this for a couple of weeks, so I'm probably due another one soon...

Do you know if anyone left the race / lobby, either during that session, or during previous sessions just before switching sessions?.

No mate no1 did leave or disconnect and its a problem I get so often even when I'm just practicing by myself in free practice as you can see in my original post in the Nissan oreca @ Road America.
Ever since that latest patch it has got drastically worst and I just don't understand what is going on with this game.

kevin kirk
25-02-2016, 20:33

Sometimes the car (or parts of the car) get "outside" of expected parameters. When this happens, you can get odd circumstances that result in output you don't expect. Like if your function always expects positive values, but somehow you end up with a negative value. Or your function expects a fractional value between 0 and 1, but it gets 1,500,000 instead. These unexpected values can come from many places. That's the challenge of tracking down landmine bugs. What looks like a single class of bug to you and I can actually be caused by (literally) hundreds of different circumstances in the game...I love reading this type of stuff. Things about nuts and bolt of the game

Goresh
26-02-2016, 11:59
How close is Pcars built to say GTr2? Does it use walls to record sectors? I've seen the same thing in GTR2 if an xsector wall is not correct. Mind you it happens every time and it is not random, just wondered if it might be an odd reaction to the sector walls.

bradleyland
26-02-2016, 14:18
How close is Pcars built to say GTr2? Does it use walls to record sectors? I've seen the same thing in GTR2 if an xsector wall is not correct. Mind you it happens every time and it is not random, just wondered if it might be an odd reaction to the sector walls.

I don't know the answer to how pCARS detects sector traversal, but I don't think it's related to these bugs. If it were, we would expect the physics issues to always occur at a sector threshold. I've watched a lot of landmine videos and I don't recall any of them occurring on a sector threshold.

There is definitely more than one "class" of landmine bug, but many are related to the car bottoming out. In these cases, I think it's a physics paradox (I just made that up; it's not an actual term) issue. What I mean by this is that I think the car is clipping through the road surface, and when the car clips, the force that would normally rebound the car up is pulling it down in to the track. Think of it as crossing over a hump where instead of being pushed backward, you are pushed forwards. Many physics formulas are "symmetrical" in this way; meaning that they produce positive force values when input values are either positive or negative.

Because the physics models are so complex, I think there are counteracting forces calculated (both downward and upward). For example, the body clips, which causes it to pull downward, but the tires do not, so they (along with the suspension) continue to push upward. As the car's body clips through the track, these counteracting forces cancel each other out for a few milliseconds, but the upward force (suspension springs) has a different ramp/falloff rate than the downward (gravity/road collision rebound) force. So eventually, the upward force catapults the car up in to the air.

All of this is very tedious, and it's all rampant speculation. None of it helps devs solve the problem, btw. The physics model is composed of thousands (tens of thousands?) of lines of codes with hundreds (thousands?) of variables. Finding these bugs is a tedious matter of looking for that one variable that is going out of bounds. This is the moment where the inexperienced programmer pops their head up and says, "BOUNDARY CHECK ALL THE THINGS!" Unfortunately, boundary checks are branching logic, and when you need calculations to execute in milliseconds, you have to be very frugal with your conditionals.

Just for clarity, I'm not a developer. I manage developers, and as you can tell, I have a deep appreciation for how difficult their job is. Honestly, I don't know how they do it sometimes. It is a marvel to me that any computer software works. When you look at the immense level of complexity, and the layer upon layer of abstraction used to hide the underlying complexity, it is a miracle that it all works. That's why I try to keep a sense of perspective when engaging software developers. In terms of scope, the developer is working with tools that are a tiny rock on the peak of Mount Everest. The complexity beneath these tools extends down to the bedrock. They cannot possibly know it all, but they're bending over backward trying to drill down through the layers and find the bug, I assure you. In order to achieve any level of success as a software developer, you have to have a borderland masochistic level of persistence and maniacal degree of intelligence. These sorts of people rarely sit back and phone it in. If anything, we (managers) have to pull developers off of bugs like dogs off a kill. Losses to bugs don't come easy.

BioForce
26-02-2016, 18:01
Because the physics models are so complex, I think there are counteracting forces calculated (both downward and upward). For example, the body clips, which causes it to pull downward, but the tires do not, so they (along with the suspension) continue to push upward. As the car's body clips through the track, these counteracting forces cancel each other out for a few milliseconds, but the upward force (suspension springs) has a different ramp/falloff rate than the downward (gravity/road collision rebound) force. So eventually, the upward force catapults the car up in to the air.

In the past a lot of the landmines were eliminated. So it must be possible. And maybe the trackbuilders are busy with PC2.

John Hargreaves
26-02-2016, 18:20
I don't think he's saying it's impossible to fix stuff, just giving a very well considered professional perspective on how damn hard it is to fix things.

BigAlex
26-02-2016, 18:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJSMORKeKw

bradleyland
26-02-2016, 19:24
In the past a lot of the landmines were eliminated. So it must be possible. And maybe the trackbuilders are busy with PC2.

Yeah, sorry. When I write, I tend to come down hard on one side. It can seem as if I'm saying it's impossible. It's obviously not though. Like you said, landmine bugs have been fixed in the past. Having solid information on how to reproduce is the key. As more and more landmine bugs are fixed, the remaining ones tend to be the ones that are hardest to reproduce. Think of it like Darwinism for bugs.

The other factor to consider is that not all landmine bugs will have the same root cause. My hypothesis is just a guess. It's not even fair to call it a hypothesis; it's bare speculation. It could be that some of the remaining bugs are endemic to the game engine. That is to say, some may be impossible to fix within the constraints of the resources available.

bradleyland
26-02-2016, 19:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJSMORKeKw

Z4 GT3 Wonder Woman Edition?

BioForce
26-02-2016, 19:30
I don't think he's saying it's impossible to fix stuff, just giving a very well considered professional perspective on how damn hard it is to fix things.

What I meant was that Elvis has left the building already :)

billzkid
26-02-2016, 21:13
yeah ... happened to me today in the online race ... first time ...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qfy1wgQ1TMM

John Hargreaves
26-02-2016, 22:40
What I meant was that Elvis has left the building already :)

Driving the dlc Cadillac perhaps?

Nomad06
27-02-2016, 14:27

Huh? These issues have been around pretty much since... release?? Lots of vids and widely reported in here...yes?

Doge
27-02-2016, 19:44
Not being able to play a game released a year ago with a half-decent level of reliability... this is over the top.

If your game doesn“t crash altogether with the blue screen of death, you get DC“ed. If you don“t get DC“ed, you crash into invisible objects. There“s no way to complete a single smooth, normal race. Impossible.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
27-02-2016, 19:57
Not being able to play a game released a year ago with a half-decent level of reliability... this is over the top.

If your game doesn“t crash altogether with the blue screen of death, you get DC“ed. If you don“t get DC“ed, you crash into invisible objects. There“s no way to complete a single smooth, normal race. Impossible.And then again there are people who never have any of those issues. =/

BioForce
27-02-2016, 20:24
And then again there are people who never have any of those issues. =/

LOL

jack1984
27-02-2016, 20:37

So? That fact that some people experience major bugs like this after the game is released almost a year ago is pure sadness.

Pamellaaa
27-02-2016, 21:06
So? That fact that some people experience major bugs like this after the game is released almost a year ago is pure sadness.

Not really, we race 32 car grids all the time and rarely encounter issues, when we do it seems to be at the same time that steam is down. On the whole the game is reliable and works well, there are certainly things we wish were different but on the whole its the best option at the moment.

jack1984
27-02-2016, 21:16
Not really, we race 32 car grids all the time and rarely encounter issues, when we do it seems to be at the same time that steam is down. On the whole the game is reliable and works well, there are certainly things we wish were different but on the whole its the best option at the moment.

Yeah, it is known that the PC version has less issues than the console version. And where you encounter barely any issues, there are unfortunately some folks who experience almost every online race as a mess (read the PS4 forum for instance).

bcicciar
27-02-2016, 21:35
Wow.......... I have the PC version and have had issues but, I have never seen that before.

Pamellaaa
27-02-2016, 21:35
Yeah, it is known that the PC version has less issues than the console version. And where you encounter barely any issues, there are unfortunately some folks who experience almost every online race as a mess (read the PS4 forum for instance).

Yeah, there are issues with PSN at the moment, a lot of people are having problems on PC and XB1 as well but generally its not the game that is at fault.

m355y
27-02-2016, 21:58

I've had this landmine thing happen twice. Once was during a Le Mans 24 Hours driving for Audi. I was doing ok, a few hours in, had handed over to the AI a couple of times and was enjoying it, then I drove past the pit straight, possibly a bit closer than normal to the pitwall but nowhere near touching it, and BAM suddenly sky-track-sky-track-sky-track, and I'm on my roof with the windscreen smashed, race totally over and totally confused. Then it happened again some time later. Twice - that's not too bad. It's not destroyed my experience of the game. But then.....I reckon I've played this game a fraction of the amount of time some people have.

Point being, yes some of us haven't experienced this as much, but dismissing it as an issue because "lots of us haven't had this issue" is ****ing ridiculous. It needs looking at.

jack1984
27-02-2016, 22:24
Yeah, there are issues with PSN at the moment, a lot of people are having problems on PC and XB1 as well but generally its not the game that is at fault.

That's simply not true. Yes, sometimes it is a PSN issue, but lots of people already reported that online is a mess (crashes, disconnections) while ALL others games are completely functional online at that same time.

And even worse; the landmine issue discussed in this forum happens also offline. I am also very lucky to never encounter it....

Doge
27-02-2016, 22:29

Yep, people who didn't play this game.

Been involved in a hell of a lot of organized MP racing from day 1 up to today with a decent sized bunch of players. Dozens came and went and there's not even one who can say they were not involved in an event ruined by the game.

The creature has imagination though, from mines, to game crashes, through pitcrew sabotage, it always found a new way to screw us up in a new way depending on the patch we were using at that time. You never know how your next race will be ruined, it's a thrill!

Shadowoff
28-02-2016, 06:50

I never had kind of these bugs, but the AI. In 20 minutes ~3-4 retired the race...

cluck
28-02-2016, 12:30
Yep, people who didn't play this game.

Been involved in a hell of a lot of organized MP racing from day 1 up to today with a decent sized bunch of players. Dozens came and went and there's not even one who can say they were not involved in an event ruined by the game.

The creature has imagination though, from mines, to game crashes, through pitcrew sabotage, it always found a new way to screw us up in a new way depending on the patch we were using at that time. You never know how your next race will be ruined, it's a thrill!I play the game almost every day and I race with the RSR league twice a week (usually!) and the vast majority of the time, the only problem I experience is lag. I've never once been shafted by my pit-crew through anything other than my own stupidity.

You cannot simply sit there and state that everybody has problems, simply because you have witnessed problems yourself. I cannot remember the last time I was affected by a game-crippling or game ruining bug directly myself, other than lag (which we can't do anything about).

mister dog
28-02-2016, 13:17
You cannot simply sit there and state that everybody has problems, simply because you have witnessed problems yourself. I cannot remember the last time I was affected by a game-crippling or game ruining bug directly myself, other than lag (which we can't do anything about).
Seems to be a bad console port with regards to online issues and that landmine bug, i had it happening only once but experienced a lot of minor bugs on PC. In any case without the ability to save mid race i won't risk doing endurance races, and having a bug screw me over a couple of hours in. Shame really as the game lends itself to it with the changing weather conditions and beautiful day/night transitions.

Nomad06
28-02-2016, 15:15
Its easy to blame PSN...however I play, my kid plays numerous other games via psn...none of which experience the amount or frequency disconnects that Pcars does. This now, of the 8 months of release, is going into its 5th week where our league can't get a race going due to disconnects. If this were strictly a PSN issue...then my guess is myself or my son would be experiencing disconnects in other game lobbies. ..it simply doesn't happen or if it does...its rare. Pcars had always had this issue off and on.

EVERYONE in our group at some point gets disconnected. ..multi times in fact.

With such reliability problems, how can anyone sit there and say it's no big deal? Multi player is the meat and potatoes of Pcars...NO one wants to invest time into a race that you are wondering at what point in a 25 lap race I will be tossed. Never mind longer races.

It even gets more frustrating when you hear or read commets from admin that landmine issues apparently never been seen before? ? When its been plastered all over youtube. ..examples since pretty much the first month of release.

Sankyo
28-02-2016, 19:00
Seems to be a bad console port with regards to online issues and that landmine bug, i had it happening only once but experienced a lot of minor bugs on PC. In any case without the ability to save mid race i won't risk doing endurance races, and having a bug screw me over a couple of hours in. Shame really as the game lends itself to it with the changing weather conditions and beautiful day/night transitions.

Its easy to blame PSN...however I play, my kid plays numerous other games via psn...none of which experience the amount or frequency disconnects that Pcars does. This now, of the 8 months of release, is going into its 5th week where our league can't get a race going due to disconnects. If this were strictly a PSN issue...then my guess is myself or my son would be experiencing disconnects in other game lobbies. ..it simply doesn't happen or if it does...its rare. Pcars had always had this issue off and on.

EVERYONE in our group at some point gets disconnected. ..multi times in fact.

With such reliability problems, how can anyone sit there and say it's no big deal? Multi player is the meat and potatoes of Pcars...NO one wants to invest time into a race that you are wondering at what point in a 25 lap race I will be tossed. Never mind longer races.

It even gets more frustrating when you hear or read commets from admin that landmine issues apparently never been seen before? ? When its been plastered all over youtube. ..examples since pretty much the first month of release.
It has been hinted that pCARS may be overly sensitive to server/network issues because of the way it handles data between clients. That's not a 'bad console port', and stating that other games don't have online problems doesn't say much either as they probably use different online communication techniques.

Doge
28-02-2016, 19:10
I play the game almost every day and I race with the RSR league twice a week (usually!) and the vast majority of the time, the only problem I experience is lag. I've never once been shafted by my pit-crew through anything other than my own stupidity.

Sorry, no sell. It's not me, it's everyone I've known over 10 months of multiplayer racing. The game is totally unreliable platform for MP, all the way from day 1 to today.

mister dog
28-02-2016, 19:28
It has been hinted that pCARS may be overly sensitive to server/network issues because of the way it handles data between clients. That's not a 'bad console port', and stating that other games don't have online problems doesn't say much either as they probably use different online communication techniques.
So you admit the issue lays with PCARS then? :p

bradleyland
28-02-2016, 20:20
So you admit the issue lays with PCARS then? :p

Sometimes blame is not so simple as "this guy or that guy is responsible." Sometimes the responsibility is cumulative. What if Sony provides a multiplayer API that is sensitive to network load, but doesn't share this information with developers? What if the implementation of this multiplayer API is difficult to the point that SMS have gotten it wrong; not because they're incompetent, but because the API is bad?

SMS and Sony who share responsibility, IMO. SMS is the author, so it is their choice to use a specific multiplayer API, but Sony is the platform provider, so it is their responsibility to provide a stable network and comprehensible API.

cluck
28-02-2016, 21:14
Sorry, no sell. It's not me, it's everyone I've known over 10 months of multiplayer racing. The game is totally unreliable platform for MP, all the way from day 1 to today.It is unreliable for everybody you know. I am telling you what my experiences are and those of the league I race with. I'm not trying to "sell" anything, I'm just pointing out that not everybody is having serious problems all of the time. I am not going to sit here and say it is perfect, because it clearly is causing problems for some people but it is NOT causing problems for everybody.

Royster
28-02-2016, 22:18
I did reinstall and it worked also it fixed my wheel issue try4nothing insuppose

mister dog
28-02-2016, 22:45
Sometimes blame is not so simple as "this guy or that guy is responsible." Sometimes the responsibility is cumulative. What if Sony provides a multiplayer API that is sensitive to network load, but doesn't share this information with developers? What if the implementation of this multiplayer API is difficult to the point that SMS have gotten it wrong; not because they're incompetent, but because the API is bad?

SMS and Sony who share responsibility, IMO. SMS is the author, so it is their choice to use a specific multiplayer API, but Sony is the platform provider, so it is their responsibility to provide a stable network and comprehensible API.
It's not only on the PS4, people on the Xbone and on PC were also complaining about online/ disconnection issues just as much. If it would be just on the PS4 you could state what you say above and put the blame on Sony, but this is not the case. If it happens on 3 different platforms with 3 different online networks at a given time, it's pretty obvious that the disconnection issue is rooted within the game.

And seeing that in general consoles seem to suffer the most from bugs, it's not really a far fetched idea that maybe a badly optimized console port from the original PC version might be the cause.

Anyhow the invisible walls bug in the OP are a physics bug within PCARS, that at least is one thing we can't argue about :)

bradleyland
28-02-2016, 23:33
It's not only on the PS4, people on the Xbone and on PC were also complaining about online/ disconnection issues just as much. If it would be just on the PS4 you could state what you say above and put the blame on Sony, but this is not the case. If it happens on 3 different platforms with 3 different online networks at a given time, it's pretty obvious that the disconnection issue is rooted within the game.

And seeing that in general consoles seem to suffer the most from bugs, it's not really a far fetched idea that maybe a badly optimized console port from the original PC version might be the cause.

Anyhow the invisible walls bug in the OP are a physics bug within PCARS, that at least is one thing we can't argue about :)

I would dispute that claim vehemently. Where's the evidence? There's a whole thread of disconnects for PSN. Where's the same thread for XBL? For PC?

"Disconnects" is not a singular problem with a singular cause. Some people have bad connections. Many PC racers try to host a race on their home internet connections. XBL has experienced its own set of problems. None of them approach the scope and frequency of the PSN disconnects. I was literally disconnected 4 times within 15 minutes, all while running a steady ping in the background with no issues.

I am not saying SMS holds no responsibility; the opposite really. I'm simply saying that you cannot lump these all in to one category without being willfully ignorant. I have tremendous doubt that you have any degree of insight in to the problem that would provide basis for a claim that it is a "badly optimized console port". Whatever that means :rolleyes:

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
28-02-2016, 23:41
"Disconnects" is not a singular problem with a singular cause. Some people have bad connections. Many PC racers try to host a race on their home internet connections. XBL has experienced its own set of problems. None of them approach the scope and frequency of the PSN disconnects. I was literally disconnected 4 times within 15 minutes, all while running a steady ping in the background with no issues.Just to note, on the PC since the game was released I haven't had a single disconnect myself or seen anyone get disconnected from a session I was in EXCEPT for times when people have been having Steam connectivity issues. (Steam itself showing "OFFLINE" afterwards etc.)

mister dog
28-02-2016, 23:51
I would dispute that claim vehemently. Where's the evidence? There's a whole thread of disconnects for PSN. Where's the same thread for XBL? For PC?

For example PC users had major issues also these last months:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43270-Open-Letter-to-SMS-(MP-disconnect-issue)&highlight=disconnect

XBL i'll look tomorrow but i remember people complaining on that platform too.
Point being that these mass disconnect issues don't only happen on PSN.

But this is just the online issues, how about the landmine bugs mentioned in the OP, or other bugs that warrant you not doing endurance races as you might encounter one that screws up your race a few hours in, which was the first point i was making? :rolleyes:

bradleyland
29-02-2016, 15:28
For example PC users had major issues also these last months:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?43270-Open-Letter-to-SMS-(MP-disconnect-issue)&highlight=disconnect

XBL i'll look tomorrow but i remember people complaining on that platform too.
Point being that these mass disconnect issues don't only happen on PSN.

But this is just the online issues, how about the landmine bugs mentioned in the OP, or other bugs that warrant you not doing endurance races as you might encounter one that screws up your race a few hours in, which was the first point i was making? :rolleyes:

I am not disputing the fact that the game has bugs. What I'm disputing is that the disconnect issue on other platforms approaches the level of severity seen on PS4. I've read that thread you posted, and I understand that other platforms experience disconnects as well, but that's true of literally every multiplayer game ever created. Some users are going to experience disconnects. Some are going to be very vocal. What we're seeing on PS4 is on a whole other level though. We're not talking a disconnect here and there that wipes out a grid. We're talking about not being able to make it through a 4 lap Hockenheim Short race because everyone is being disconnected every couple of minutes.

maxpainpayne
29-02-2016, 15:37
you should learn to use your brakes properly, there is nothing wrong with this game it has been through 9 updates. project cars is a nearly perfect simulator and nothing major needs fixing.

Sankyo
29-02-2016, 15:39
you should learn to use your brakes properly, there is nothing wrong with this game it has been through 9 updates. pcars is a perfect simulator.
People are having a meaningful and constructive discussion here, don't spoil it with useless inflammatory remarks please.

Koza_Nostra
29-02-2016, 15:44
Just to join in on the discussion. So I haven't played online since August time, but now that FFB is sorted and feels great after the Patch 9.0, over the weekend I thought I will have a go online with some fellas. But guess what? Every time I joined the lobby, after 10-20 seconds I was disconnected. I tried different lobbies, still the same. Then I tried to create my own lobby, and it was fine, but not when I connect to other peoples' lobbies.

My connection is good, I have Virgin Media 200mb fibre optic, so internet is not the issue. I'm not sure where the problem is, if it's SMS, Microsoft or something else, but hope it gets sorted soon..

Roger Prynne
29-02-2016, 16:50
Just to join in on the discussion. So I haven't played online since August time, but now that FFB is sorted and feels great after the Patch 9.0, over the weekend I thought I will have a go online with some fellas. But guess what? Every time I joined the lobby, after 10-20 seconds I was disconnected. I tried different lobbies, still the same. Then I tried to create my own lobby, and it was fine, but not when I connect to other peoples' lobbies.

My connection is good, I have Virgin Media 200mb fibre optic, so internet is not the issue. I'm not sure where the problem is, if it's SMS, Microsoft or something else, but hope it gets sorted soon..
It's not the speed of your connection that matters but the 'ping'

For example, if you have a ping of 30 (good) and someone connects with a ping of 300 (bad) then your going to get problems.
Isn't there a way of seeing what the pings are on consoles?

Koza_Nostra
01-03-2016, 09:12
It's not the speed of your connection that matters but the 'ping'

For example, if you have a ping of 30 (good) and someone connects with a ping of 300 (bad) then your going to get problems.
Isn't there a way of seeing what the pings are on consoles?

Yeah true, but never have problems on any other games. Um, and no I don't think you can see the Ping. At least I can't remember, but I will double check tonight.

Flat_out
01-03-2016, 09:20
Yeah true, but never have problems on any other games. Um, and no I don't think you can see the Ping. At least I can't remember, but I will double check tonight.

You can check your ping with speedtest.net or if you have COD Black ops 3 it tells you your ping in MP!.
I have same connection and my ping is usually 13-18ms!

Riccardo De Rosa
01-03-2016, 09:25
Try this for ping

http://youtu.be/fd2MU6_wgaQ

Koza_Nostra
01-03-2016, 10:53
You can check your ping with speedtest.net or if you have COD Black ops 3 it tells you your ping in MP!.
I have same connection and my ping is usually 13-18ms!

Oh yeah, I know speedtest.net, I thought I had to check while I'm in the lobby. I will check it when I get home tonight. Cheers

Btw, what is classed as a good PING?

Flat_out
01-03-2016, 13:26
Oh yeah, I know speedtest.net, I thought I had to check while I'm in the lobby. I will check it when I get home tonight. Cheers

Btw, what is classed as a good PING?

You would really want below 100,but the lower the better.

bradleyland
01-03-2016, 14:17
Fellas, you're chasing your tail here. "Latency" is the time it takes for packets to go from one host (your PS4) to another host (PSN, game host, Google, etc). The latency will vary depending upon who/what you're pinging. Try this:

- On your PC, press and hold the Windows Key, then tap the R key
- Type cmd.exe and click OK
- Type "ping 4.2.2.2" (without the quotes) and press enter
- Wait for the ping to complete and you should see some stats
- Now type "ping 180.149.132.47" (without the quotes) and press enter
- Wait for the ping to complete and you should see some stats

The first ping is to Level 3's load balanced DNS servers here in the US. The second ping is to Baidu's servers in China. It doesn't matter what your latency is to either of these servers, because you're not going to connect to them when playing a game. The point is that they're very, very different. I get 30ms to Level 3 and 330ms to China.

Your PS4 doesn't "have a ping". Ping is a tool for checking latency. Running ping will only tell you the latency between you and whatever network host you're pinging. The latency will depend upon many factors, including the distance between you and the host, and the network equipment between you and the other network. When you're playing ProjectCARS, two latency values matter:

- The latency between you, the host, and other players.
- The latency between you and the PSN.

The only thing useful a ping test can tell you is if your connection is crap in a general sense. Testing network latency is usually done in segments. You start by pinging your router, then your ISP's gateway, and then you ping the host you're trying to reach. The latency to your router should be <1ms if you're hard wired and no more than 10-15ms if you're on WiFi. The ping to your ISP's gateway should be <20ms. If the ping to the target network is >100ms, you'll need to use traceroute (tracert on Windows) to identify which network hop is causing the latency.

Once you've done all that, you'll know where the problem is, but you'll be powerless to fix it. Very few consumer level ISPs offer service level agreements that guarantee latency performance. Your only option would be to switch ISPs.

Having said all of this, the disconnect issues on PS4 make it very difficult to discern between connection issues and PSN/pCARS network issues. IMO, it's best to either enlist the help of someone who understands networks, or to wait the problem out.

MISTER WU
02-03-2016, 02:36
Also on the post above, routes can change on the fly a well so if you use "pathping -n 8.8.8.8" it would maybe use 20 hops, but do that the next day it may take a different route and use 16 hops depending on the ISP routes and IPX locations and what routing proto they use such as BGP, EIGRP, OSPF, some protocols use fastest path and some use distance vectors so it may differ.

Setting MTU and forcing to 1500 can increase a little and if running VLAN's increase that to 1564. Also note when you login to your modem/router you will see the true connection speed which is negotiated with the DLSAM, divide that by 8 which would give you the maximum download speed of a file (In case anyone was interested).
I would assume the d/c's happen when users join or leave and something goes hay wire and the game either re broadcasts to many packets and floods the socket.
it doesn't happen to me very often but what i generally do is get the HOSTS IP address and then use a "ping %hostip% -t" and let that constantly ping for say 2 minutes (Then hit CTR+C to stop it to get a packet loss count) and then if no packet loos occurs i know its a stable host/server.

Im on Fixed Wireless NBN here in Australia, i can download at 3.5 mega bits (Remember the bits kids not bytes when it comes to speed) per second but my ping rate is around 60-70 because that's just wireless for you, satellite is even worse.
Dont worry about using network tweaking tools because its pointless once it leaves your domain/subnet you have no control over a packet.
maybe use googles global DNS servers 8.8.8.8 as DNS queries may be a little faster.

EDIT: Thought i would also mention, not sure how many know what a tcp window is but lets say when you download a file the first thing the pc will do is try the highest number (Bit rate) to download a file over http as an example.
Now, once it drops packets it resend's the last packet looking for an ACK (Or sequence number), and then lowers the tcp window #, it will continually do this until all packets are streaming with no packets having to be resent because of loss. This is why you generally see the speed start off fast and then pause for a second (Same as file copy operations) and then slow down untill it finds a steady download rate.

Noty sure if this game does something similar when users join or not but i know when someone joins with a good connection my game never freezes but when they are slow the game locks up for 1-2 seconds.

Koza_Nostra
03-03-2016, 10:18
So I've done the speed test and ping test on speediest.net and this is what I've got.

Speed test:

Download speed - 132m with Ping of 22ms

Ping test:

34ms with Jitter of 4ms

Looks quite decent to me. I will try multiplayer again tonight and see if I still keep disconnecting me from lobbies.

MISTER WU
04-03-2016, 01:12
So I've done the speed test and ping test on speediest.net and this is what I've got.

Speed test:

Download speed - 132m with Ping of 22ms

Ping test:

34ms with Jitter of 4ms

Looks quite decent to me. I will try multiplayer again tonight and see if I still keep disconnecting me from lobbies.

Thats a decent enough ICMP ECHO but using the command "ping 8.8.8.8 -t" in a Dos prompt "cmd.exe" and let that run for say 10 minutes, then hit CTRL+C to stop and then it will give a total % of packet loss over that time.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 11, Received = 11, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 45ms
Control-C