PDA

View Full Version : The cool rain effects..

GTX BaCoNSauCZ
23-02-2016, 10:44
As thread suggests, where are those great rain effects? When we selected storm weather and thunderstorm, rain splashed hard against windscreen and you could only see the road ahead in between windscreen wipes. Now every rain setting is lighter than light rain setting and you can drive and see perfectly without using windscreen wipers. Why is this gone? if it was too much for some players, at least give me an intensity level selection. Please fix this back to how it was right after the update that gave us improved rain effects.

Sankyo
23-02-2016, 11:14
Starting a thread with a thumbs down and demanding fixes when you're basically talking to the developers directly on this forum isn't really a good starting point for a constructive discussion.

Motorhead Racer
23-02-2016, 11:36
The title is short and sweet, I see no issue, he is not demanding as such, but asked nicely with the 'please' stop looking for trouble when it is not there 'please'

Mad Al
23-02-2016, 11:41
The title is short and sweet, I see no issue, he is not demanding as such, but asked nicely with the 'please' stop looking for trouble when it is not there 'please'

More constructive approach...

has there been a change, am I the only one seeing this.. some before and after pics.. etc., etc.

never assume just because you see a problem, that everyone else is seeing the same thing.

Invincible
23-02-2016, 11:45
More constructive approach...

has there been a change, am I the only one seeing this.. some before and after pics.. etc., etc.

never assume just because you see a problem, that everyone else is seeing the same thing.

I just wondered - was there any change at all after the updated rain visuals? :confused:

Sankyo
23-02-2016, 11:51
The title is short and sweet,
But it's not to the point. It could be a praising posting judging from the text only. And the thumb down isn't really setting up a good level of communication.

I see no issue,
But I do, and I've been in this with SMS for the past 4.5 years so I'm quite aware of what's a constructive approach and what is not.

he is not demanding as such, but asked nicely with the 'please'
'Please fix this back to how this was' is not asking really nicely, as it's not leaving any room for other possibilities (as Mad Al already hinted at above).

stop looking for trouble when it is not there 'please'
I'm not looking for trouble, I'm indicating that the OP's approach is far from optimal.

Anyway, enough on that. Hopefully the OP will chime in again and give more details on his findings so we can discuss whether it's really something that has changed recently or not.

Konan
23-02-2016, 12:15
I just wondered - was there any change at all after the updated rain visuals? :confused:

I was wondering about that too actually....:confused:

Silraed
23-02-2016, 12:31
I can't recall any changes made to the rain effects.

But I will chime in with my experience the other day driving I think it was the Marek LMP2 in heavy rain around Le Mans at night. I started the race and didn't notice until the 3rd lap, yes the 3rd, that I didn't have my wipers on.
It was a bit of a shock.

Konan
23-02-2016, 12:34
I can't recall any changes made to the rain effects.

But I will chime in with my experience the other day driving I think it was the Marek LMP2 in heavy rain around Le Mans at night. I started the race and didn't notice until the 3rd lap, yes the 3rd, that I didn't have my wipers on.
It was a bit of a shock.

So in your opinion they tuned it down then?

Silraed
23-02-2016, 12:40
I'm not saying that they have turned it down, that is the only example I have noticed of this but I haven't done a lot of wet racing since around patch 8. Before that I was doing it quite regularly and if you didn't have wipers on you were blind as a bat as far as I remember.

It may be it was just a glitch in the system and for that particular race it didn't display the effects properly. I know more than to come to a conclusion based on one example.

Konan
23-02-2016, 12:44
I'm not saying that they have turned it down, that is the only example I have noticed of this but I haven't done a lot of wet racing since around patch 8. Before that I was doing it quite regularly and if you didn't have wipers on you were blind as a bat as far as I remember.

It may be it was just a glitch in the system and for that particular race it didn't display the effects properly. I know more than to come to a conclusion based on one example.

Yes i agree...too many conclusions are being made hastily as it is....
Thank you for the reply anyway :cool:

RacingManiac
23-02-2016, 14:39
I haven't tried racing in the rain since the recent patch. But previously I did notice that in the race where I set it to storm, the spray and the effects are present, but if I save the replay of that race and went to watch it after, only the player's car has spray, no AI cars does.

Shogun613
23-02-2016, 14:59
I can't really speak for all cars/modes/tracks, but I just tried a few laps in a storm at Road America, and the rain is pretty heavy. I couldn't see without the wipers, and even during a replay it looked like the kind of rain you don't want to be standing around in. It also made my PS4 work so hard, it sounded like a hair dryer.

Sankyo
23-02-2016, 15:36
As thread suggests, where are those great rain effects? When we selected storm weather and thunderstorm, rain splashed hard against windscreen and you could only see the road ahead in between windscreen wipes. Now every rain setting is lighter than light rain setting and you can drive and see perfectly without using windscreen wipers. Why is this gone? if it was too much for some players, at least give me an intensity level selection. Please fix this back to how it was right after the update that gave us improved rain effects.
Did the particle density/detail settings in the game change by any chance?

GTX BaCoNSauCZ
23-02-2016, 18:24
Did the particle density/detail settings in the game change by any chance?

Hey. No everything is set to ultra or high. Only things off are anti aliasing, FXAA and SMAA.

GTX BaCoNSauCZ
23-02-2016, 18:49
Alright. I see I may of upset certain people with the "thumbs down". With this I really just meant I was sad to see this was gone. I apologise for any misunderstanding that caused.

GTX BaCoNSauCZ
24-02-2016, 20:21
Ok. So I have tried to look into this. this issue is also on Xbox and ps4 as I happen to have access to all platforms for this game. Anybody else looked into this?

poet
24-02-2016, 20:36
I remember it definitely getting lighter and easier to see through when they changed it early on with patch 1 or 2.
I was doing tonnes of laps in heavy rain at nords at the time of the change and before it was a terrifying experience where you couldn't see anything but the spray from the car in front, then they "optimized" it and it became a far lesser effect.
Then later on they added the animated rain "worms" that changed the view through the windscreen so that was easier to see through too in some ways.
So yes, the rain effect has changed, but both changes were some time back now.
(and yes, I also miss that intense terrifying rain from the first release.)

hkraft300
25-02-2016, 00:12
+1 for apocalyptic weather ;)
Except fog. I hate fog. Lol

Silraed
25-02-2016, 01:37
So after going and doing some rain driving/racing yesterday and really paying attention to the windscreen effects instead of just looking past them and concentrating on the race, I find myself surprised at how little trouble the effects actually pose and how easy it is to drive with no wipers on. Anything under a thunderstorm was pretty easily done. I think the biggest factors are the time of day (light) and the car itself.

Thinking back to when the game first released I have these mental images of insanely hard wet weather racing with windscreens you couldn't see through in heavy rain even with wipers on but, I went and looked at some youtube videos from that period and the effects were not really any stronger than they are now and just lacked the snail lines/worms. I think that it is just my mind playing tricks on me because the game was so wondrous and new back them.

resmania
25-02-2016, 02:16
When the game released there was no rain trail and wiper trail effect(mask).

Silraed
25-02-2016, 06:03
Yep apart from those newer effects the raindrops on the windscreen look pretty much exactly the same as the game did at release from what I could see in youtube videos. I will admit that two days ago I would have sworn the old storm/thunderstorm window raindrop effects were extremely intense going by my memory, but after looking at some youtube videos it really isn't much different to now.

Can I just mention how absolutely stunning Oulton Park is in the rain at sunset/dusk? Breathtaking.

poet
25-02-2016, 06:45
The difference in rooster tails between release and now is very noticeable.
They aren't going to change it back though, so pointless discussion really. Sadly.

GTX BaCoNSauCZ
28-02-2016, 00:30
but the problem is that all the rain settings are the same. And yes this game had intense rain effects once, i remember very clearly mad rain at night and NO visibility if wipers were not active. Super awesome, please come back :(

Silraed
28-02-2016, 03:43
but the problem is that all the rain settings are the same.

They are different, there is a noticeable increase in the rain effects from light rain to thunderstorm. A statement like that isn't going to help the argument.

Could the storm and thunderstorm effects be heavier? Sure. Is there a serious problem with them at the moment? Not really. That is my conclusion after spending a couple days checking out the wet weather.