PDA

View Full Version : Any chances for better gamepad controller/support?

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 18:13
Hi guys

As a XBOX 360 gamepad user I always had a problem with how is pCARS played with the gamepad. So let me explain what I mean...

At the first I thought this game is gonna feel pretty much good since it's a multi-platform game. Looking at the other sim racing games such as R3E or Assetto Corsa or even rFactor 2 which they have an amazing support for the controller. I feel like I am connected with the car because it has more linear steering with mentioned games. Those games gives your the feeling how do you have to steer, how much do you have to steer and etc.

What my problems it there is no good connection between the controller and the game. You simply can't set the settings to your will. Either you have a to much responsive steering or you have to much deadzone which means you are having a problem with the response of the controller. I have tried everything I could but this game is not playable with the pad as it should be. If that isn't enough FFB or rumble effect is also not impressive and gives you minimum or zero feedback.

So guys can we please have a bit of your attention for the gamepad users since this game is also available on the consoles but it has the worst controller setup comparing to other non console games?

Thank you for your replies and wish you best!

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 18:33
I honestly don't know if I could play the game with the xbox 360 controller. My regular xbox one controller allows for such a greater fine tuning movements with how the joystick was redesigned.

Nelson Pacheco
27-02-2016, 18:37
i play with pad
i think i can survive most of the races....not easy but well
its going on

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 18:45
i play with pad
i think i can survive most of the races....not easy but well
its going on

Well that's the problem. You have to play "how to survive" race/game. I can do that in a Wreckfest or similar game. What we need is a better support for the pad. And that's why I have stopped buying DLCs and playing this game. It lacks a support for the pad.

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 18:56
I have found you certainly do get better at controller by leaps and bounds the more you play. My controller settings now is the exact opposite of what I use to have to use. I do recommend getting a xbox one controller.

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 18:57
I have found you certainly do get better at controller by leaps and bounds the more you play. My controller settings now is the exact opposite of what I use to have to use. I do recommend getting a xbox one controller.

I doubt it will make any difference because it's a problem how it's designed in the code. This is the only game I have played which has such a bad controller setup...

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 18:58
Well that's the problem. You have to play "how to survive" race/game. I can do that in a Wreckfest or similar game. What we need is a better support for the pad. And that's why I have stopped buying DLCs and playing this game. It lacks a support for the pad.... well the range that controller gameplay can change by changing settings is huge. You just have to test a lot to find what feel your looking for.

Mad Al
27-02-2016, 18:59
would probably be useful to actually post what settings you use ....

and I can assure you there was plenty of discussion during development on pad settings

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:00
... well the range that controller gameplay can change by changing settings is huge. You just have to test a lot to find what feel your looking for.

I have put 100 hours in it and I believe it's more than enough to figure out that this game is not friendly to controllers...

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 19:02
I doubt it will make any difference because it's a problem how it's designed in the code. This is the only game I have played which has such a bad controller setup...... I have to disagree. This is the best controller game play I have ever played. Also consider I mostly play gt3 and lmp cars..

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:03
... I have to disagree. This is the best controller game play I have ever played. Also consider I mostly play gt3 and lmp cars..

Well it seems it's the only one...

No offence ;)

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 19:04
Yea, I would have to say I don't see a lot of people saying they like it.

Mad Al
27-02-2016, 19:05
I have put 100 hours in it and I believe it's more than enough to figure out that this game is not friendly to controllers...

well, my second account says I have over 400 hours and 99% of that was using a 360 pad and I prefer the pad setup to most other games.. horses for courses and all that

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:07
well, my second account says I have over 400 hours and 99% of that was using a 360 pad and I prefer the pad setup to most other games.. horses for courses and all that

Well my account says 517 hours for Assetto Corsa, 132 hours for R3E and 34 horus for rFactor 2 (bought it few days ago). :)

FS7
27-02-2016, 19:07
I play with a DS4 controller, realistic aids, I can play the game just fine. The thing with PCars is that one has to be really smooth and precise to get good results, it's not like Gran Turismo or Forza where one can be very sloppy with their inputs and still keep the car on the track.

Schumi-
27-02-2016, 19:09
Personally speaking, been playing with a Xbox One Pad, and love every minute of it, controller is brilliant with Pcars, again that is my thought, i found the settings on this site, and i really couldn't be happier.

Xbox One Pad Settings (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21858-Xbox-One-Controller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions&p=1088866&viewfull=1#post1088866)

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:11
Personally speaking, been playing with a Xbox One Pad, and love every minute of it, controller is brilliant with Pcars, again that is my thought, i found the settings on this site, and i really couldn't be happier.

Xbox One Pad Settings (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21858-Xbox-One-Controller-Settings-Problems-amp-Solutions&p=1088866&viewfull=1#post1088866)

Thanks! Will try it ;)

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:14
Don't get me wrong guys this is a call for the help because I want to play pCARS again but simply can't get controller settings to my taste and feel :(

Mad Al
27-02-2016, 19:18
Well what style do you have, smooth movement type, tapper... the point of the 3 modes was supposed to be to cater to different tastes

my own choice is mode 2 with no steering deadzone, 5 steering sensitivity, 55 for speed sensitivity and 25 for filtering (throttle and brake to taste, personally I use 0 deazone and 50 sensitivity for those) - advanced at default (off)

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 19:19
I think people learning the game on controller start out thinking its going to be one controller setting that works the same for all the cars on all the tracks. From what I have found it just cant happin like that because each car handles so different. Take the time to learn each car and what each car needs as far as settings and the game is much less of a head ache to play.

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:20
Well what style do you have, smooth movement type, tapper... the point of the 3 modes was supposed to be to cater to different tastes

my own choice is mode 2 with no steering deadzone, 5 steering sensitivity, 55 for speed sensitivity and 25 for filtering (throttle and brake to taste, personally I use 0 deazone and 50 sensitivity for those) - advanced at default

I like to have a responsive controller with a chance for mini corrections...so deadzone is absolutely 0 for me :)

Mad Al
27-02-2016, 19:20
I think people learning the game on controller start out thinking its going to be one controller setting that works the same for all the cars on all the tracks. From what I have found it just cant happin like that because each car handles so different. Take the time to learn each car and what each car needs as far as settings and the game is much less of a head ache to play.

Actually I do use the same settings for all cars....

Rambo_Commando
27-02-2016, 19:25
I never understood why people complain that this game is unplayable with a controller because it's not the case. I much rather SMS approach to controller settings rather than generic presets you find in other racing games. It took me about a week before I found the perfect setting and even now I'm still fine tuning but I've enjoyed every moment of it.

I've never tried a gamepad to PC setup so you might be right. But if you're interested this is the process I used to setup my controller.
1-select controller input mode to 3-->best mode for a controller imo. Don't change any other settings except set speed sensitivity to 70 and controller filtering to 30.
2-pick the most powerful car that you want to drive eventually, for me it was FA and decrease to wing angles to minimum.
3-select a track that you know well. Barcelona GP is a good track.
4-just keep lapping the track, use a practice session , and I mean like putting in over 50 laps. It's best to drive with the other AI drivers on track as you can gauge your performance compared to them. During this time use ABS/TC/stability control if you need to. Do not use steering assist or brake assist. Eventually you'll get the hang of things.
5-now increase ONLY throttle and braking deadzone ONE CLICK AT A TIME. Personally, with a controller you need more deadzone than with a wheel, even if it's a new gamepad. Keep lapping until you are comfortable with your deadzone
6-now decrease or press right button for ONLY throttle and brake sensitivity ONE CLICK AT A TIME. Continue lapping.
7-now adjust (increase) ONLY steering deadzone ONE CLICK AT A TIME. Remember you need to have deadzone or "play" in the stick otherwise steering is too twitchy.
8-now adjust (decrease or press right button) the steering sensitivity ONE CLICK AT A TIME. You will eventually find your sweet spot.

The most important thing is that you only work on one element at a time. This way you can feel how the car handles after every change you make. Also make sure opposite lock help is turned off. Hope this helps you out.

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 19:26
Actually I do use the same settings for all cars....

...I cant really say I'm good enough to do that. The merc gt3 seems to unresponsive while the ruf gt3 is just evil with the same controller settings.I also have to change settings on the Toyota lmp1 car. Those are my 3 cars that throw a monkey wrench into my settings. like I said I mostly use gt3 and lmp cars

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:31
I never understood why people complain that this game is unplayable with a controller because it's not the case. I much rather SMS approach to controller settings rather than generic presets you find in other racing games. It took me about a week before I found the perfect setting and even now I'm still fine tuning but I've enjoyed every moment of it.

I've never tried a gamepad to PC setup so you might be right. But if you're interested this is the process I used to setup my controller.
1-select controller input mode to 3-->best mode for a controller imo. Don't change any other settings except set speed sensitivity to 70 and controller filtering to 30.
2-pick the most powerful car that you want to drive eventually, for me it was FA and decrease to wing angles to minimum.
3-select a track that you know well. Barcelona GP is a good track.
4-just keep lapping the track, use a practice session , and I mean like putting in over 50 laps. It's best to drive with the other AI drivers on track as you can gauge your performance compared to them. During this time use ABS/TC/stability control if you need to. Do not use steering assist or brake assist. Eventually you'll get the hang of things.
5-now increase ONLY throttle and braking deadzone ONE CLICK AT A TIME. Personally, with a controller you need more deadzone than with a wheel, even if it's a new gamepad. Keep lapping until you are comfortable with your deadzone
6-now decrease or press right button for ONLY throttle and brake sensitivity ONE CLICK AT A TIME. Continue lapping.
7-now adjust (increase) ONLY steering deadzone ONE CLICK AT A TIME. Remember you need to have deadzone or "play" in the stick otherwise steering is too twitchy.
8-now adjust (decrease or press right button) the steering sensitivity ONE CLICK AT A TIME. You will eventually find your sweet spot.

The most important thing is that you only work on one element at a time. This way you can feel how the car handles after every change you make. Also make sure opposite lock help is turned off. Hope this helps you out.

Believe me I have done everything what you have said. But it took so much time with 0 results. With other games few hours and problem solved. They just offer better personalisation IMO.

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 19:34
Get you a xbox one controller

Mad Al
27-02-2016, 19:37
Believe me I have done everything what you have said. But it took so much time with 0 results. With other games few hours and problem solved. They just offer better personalisation IMO.

Actually the problem is they offer less personalisation.. more choice = more time to get things wrong

During development we had some additional toys to play with to help get the settings adjusted more quickly... (pity they couldn't have left them in.. or put in another quick adjust option to use whilst driving)

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 19:56
Actually the problem is they offer less personalisation.. more choice = more time to get things wrong

During development we had some additional toys to play with to help get the settings adjusted more quickly... (pity they couldn't have left them in.. or put in another quick adjust option to use whilst driving)

I meant other games not pcars :D

havocc
27-02-2016, 20:56
... I have to disagree. This is the best controller game play I have ever played. Also consider I mostly play gt3 and lmp cars..

Gt3 and lmp don't require many steering corrections like road cars or vintage race cars do, anyway gamepad is much better here than AC

JessicaWalter
27-02-2016, 21:15
I use the same controller setting for all cars, I just change how my hand "drives" them. I also get irritated when people say it's unplayable with a controller. I used to try and correct them but I don't anymore. If they can't tell they need to adjust the way the drive, and see that it doesn't handle like GT, Forza, Driveclub, etc then whatever I say will just go in one ear and out the other. There's no game that everyone likes.

Gl4dia7QrZ
27-02-2016, 21:19
Try this good for ps and xbox controlers

hkraft300
27-02-2016, 22:25
I use same settings for all cars from FA to Vintage.
Though in the classic Lotus I have to use period correct tyres, but that's another discussion.

So the OP problem can't be solved as after 30 posts its still not clear what the problem is (same as most threads about controller use on pcars). What is it that you find difficult? What is your goal?

To find a solution, one must first define the problem.
For example:
Steering feels slow to respond - adjust controller filtering to a lower setting.

With the range of customisation in pcars there are thousands of combinations to get through and you won't find what you're after if you're blindly feeling it out.

Pick your favourite car. Try the 3 different controller modes then adjust deadzones to 0. Then do some laps to see which you prefer. Then adjust one parameter (steering sensitivity OR speed sensitivity OR controller filtering) by 25 clicks at a time. Step by step you can zero in on your preferred setting.

Your other option is to try different settings posted by other members then use the same method to get to where you want to be: which none of us as yet have an idea.

I'm not a stick flicker. I'm pretty smooth with my inputs (often needing less than half a turn of the stick to get around tight hairpins).

Controller mode 2, advanced on, soft steer on, steering sensitivity 35, speed sensitivity 40, controller filtering 45, deadzones 0.

Also with the variety of the cars and how different each car is to drive, you can't get all the cars to feel the same or drive the same.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
27-02-2016, 22:35
For me, pCARS is so far the best car game I've played on a pad (even though I play mostly with a wheel, I have used pad during times when I haven't had access to a wheel). It does require setting up the controls quite a bit to suit you, but once you're there it's great.

It is however not by any means perfect. I've posted about the pad controls in the past, so I'll just quote myself here about the foibles I perceive in the current system:

Just a personal opinion, I wish pCARS 1 treated the controller MORE like a wheel, my biggest problems with the game pad support are due to the pad specific filters, delays and speed limitations, I'd much rather have it respond as sharply and directly as a wheel. Even then, after tweaking the settings a bit, I've gotten the best feeling controller responses I've ever felt in racing games out of pCARS.

That said, there are many improvements that could be made. Deadzones seem to work oddly, it seems like rather than working as a deadzone they limit the minimum input level (so with deadzone at 30% the smallest input you can give is 30% once it activates), speed sensitivity is very car dependent (because the speed ranges of different cars vary so much), there's a small delay when turning the stick to the game responding, and particularly the maximum steering speed is very limited when starting from center, the steering speed is actually quicker when doing a quick left-right than just going right (I can't hit some of my lines due to that on a few tracks), this limitation also affects catching slides, and there's no indication of scrubbing so it's easy to steer too much (either scrubbing limiter or FFB info could help here).

Pr3t3nd3r
27-02-2016, 22:47
I use same settings for all cars from FA to Vintage.
Though in the classic Lotus I have to use period correct tyres, but that's another discussion.

So the OP problem can't be solved as after 30 posts its still not clear what the problem is (same as most threads about controller use on pcars). What is it that you find difficult? What is your goal?

To find a solution, one must first define the problem.
For example:
Steering feels slow to respond - adjust controller filtering to a lower setting.

With the range of customisation in pcars there are thousands of combinations to get through and you won't find what you're after if you're blindly feeling it out.

Pick your favourite car. Try the 3 different controller modes then adjust deadzones to 0. Then do some laps to see which you prefer. Then adjust one parameter (steering sensitivity OR speed sensitivity OR controller filtering) by 25 clicks at a time. Step by step you can zero in on your preferred setting.

Your other option is to try different settings posted by other members then use the same method to get to where you want to be: which none of us as yet have an idea.

I'm not a stick flicker. I'm pretty smooth with my inputs (often needing less than half a turn of the stick to get around tight hairpins).

Controller mode 2, advanced on, soft steer on, steering sensitivity 40, speed sensitivity 40, controller filtering 40, deadzones 0.

Also with the variety of the cars and how different each car is to drive, you can't get all the cars to feel the same or drive the same.

Ok. Let me try to explain.

If I set the sensitivity at the higher value steering speed is to high and corners can't be driven with any sense which means I do not have the feeling how fast to go into the corners.

If I lower the sensitivity of the controller than it has to much impact on the deadzone because even setting deadzone to 0 is not enough. This means that those two values have to much impact on each other. Sensitivity has to much impact on the deadzone...either it's to much sensitive or it's not responsive enough if I set the sensituvity to a lover value...

What I would like to achive is lowering senitivity and keeping responsivness with the deadzone set to 0...but this is not possible...even by setting deadzone to 0...

hkraft300
27-02-2016, 23:02
Still struggling to understand what you mean but its a big step in the right direction :)

Sensitivity and deadzone are unrelated in the way I think you're describing it, or I'm misunderstanding. Deadzones take away input range. With the small input range of a thumbstick its best to keep deadzone 0.
Maybe it feels like low sensitivity has deadzone because response isn't linear. Either way if your controller is fresh, keep deadzones at 0.

What is your controller mode (1/2/3)?
1 feels too heavy to me and 3 is too fast.

kevin kirk
27-02-2016, 23:24
If your just starting out on controller you need Preset 3 .Only change you need to make are 0 deadzone and 0 steering sensitivity. Now use your speed sensitivity setting to adjust how it handles. Probally landing between 65 and 75. No filtering, no advanced options just 0 deadzone 0 steering sensitivity and working your speed sensitivity setting to adjust how it handles. Its really that simple to dial in your first controller settings.

DECATUR PLAYA
28-02-2016, 02:29
Ok. Let me try to explain.

If I set the sensitivity at the higher value steering speed is to high and corners can't be driven with any sense which means I do not have the feeling how fast to go into the corners.

If I lower the sensitivity of the controller than it has to much impact on the deadzone because even setting deadzone to 0 is not enough. This means that those two values have to much impact on each other. Sensitivity has to much impact on the deadzone...either it's to much sensitive or it's not responsive enough if I set the sensituvity to a lover value...

What I would like to achive is lowering senitivity and keeping responsivness with the deadzone set to 0...but this is not possible...even by setting deadzone to 0...

Explain your technique. Every guy has a different technique for how they use the joystick and the gamepad in general. Understanding your technique is the key to getting proper help. This is where the disconnect comes in is this conversation most guys assume that someone else uses the pad the same way that they do.

For example: I use a free floating stick method to drive my car straight in straightaways. I achieve this by having good corner exit and lining the car up with the groove of the track which allows me to completely let go of the joystick and let the car float down the groove of the straightaway. If you let go of the joystick the steering wheel automatically centers the steering wheel and the car drives itself down the straightaway. A lot of guys overdrive the car on straighaways and is the reason for the high sensitivity feel.

This is all highly dependent on your technique and how you want to drive the car. Constantly changing settings adds to the problem because each change gives you a whole new set of circumstances.

I could have gone much deeper into my technique but it was just an example.

hkraft300
28-02-2016, 05:46
^ +1
How you drive with the pad will dictate what settings you want.
I'm constantly on the stick making millimeters adjustments. My settings didn't feel great at the start but practice got me used to it.
You get the settings roughly where you want and practice will get you there.

Pr3t3nd3r
28-02-2016, 09:08
Still struggling to understand what you mean but its a big step in the right direction :)

Sensitivity and deadzone are unrelated in the way I think you're describing it, or I'm misunderstanding. Deadzones take away input range. With the small input range of a thumbstick its best to keep deadzone 0.
Maybe it feels like low sensitivity has deadzone because response isn't linear. Either way if your controller is fresh, keep deadzones at 0.

What is your controller mode (1/2/3)?
1 feels too heavy to me and 3 is too fast.

It seems steering sensitivity does affect on the steering deadzone.

Controller mode is 3.

Pr3t3nd3r
28-02-2016, 09:17
Explain your technique. Every guy has a different technique for how they use the joystick and the gamepad in general. Understanding your technique is the key to getting proper help. This is where the disconnect comes in is this conversation most guys assume that someone else uses the pad the same way that they do.

For example: I use a free floating stick method to drive my car straight in straightaways. I achieve this by having good corner exit and lining the car up with the groove of the track which allows me to completely let go of the joystick and let the car float down the groove of the straightaway. If you let go of the joystick the steering wheel automatically centers the steering wheel and the car drives itself down the straightaway. A lot of guys overdrive the car on straighaways and is the reason for the high sensitivity feel.

This is all highly dependent on your technique and how you want to drive the car. Constantly changing settings adds to the problem because each change gives you a whole new set of circumstances.

I could have gone much deeper into my technique but it was just an example.

My technique is simple. I like to have the feeling like I have the control over the wheel. This means I like to do mini corrections and therefore I don't like to move the stick a lot on low to medium corners. That's why I have set the deadzone to 0. But if I want to do that I have to find a perfect spot for the steering sensitivity because it affects the steering speed. To much sensitivity will give me to fast steering and therefore unstable steering. To low sensitivity will give to much deadzone and non linearity which means I can't do those mini corrections while cornering or going at high speed. With that I like to have a feeling that steering is linear or in other words I like to have lower deadzone at the high speed and lower sensitivity. When speed drops down I also like to have the same deadzone but higher sensitivity which means I can maneuver fast like in a real car. This is same as in the real car. When you are cruising in the city steering wheel is more responsive and less responsive at the high speed on the highway.

I simply can't achieve that in the pCARS and therefore can't play normally because either I am to slow in the cornering (with the lack of the feeling I have described) or my setup is unstable in the high speed corners and straights.

This is what I would like to achieve like in other games I have mentioned.

Pr3t3nd3r
28-02-2016, 09:18
^ +1
How you drive with the pad will dictate what settings you want.
I'm constantly on the stick making millimeters adjustments. My settings didn't feel great at the start but practice got me used to it.
You get the settings roughly where you want and practice will get you there.

Well we have similar preferences it seems :)

Mad Al
28-02-2016, 09:29
Well we have similar preferences it seems :)

well in that case, IMO, you really don't want to be using mode 3, with it's irremovable deadzone..

DragonSyr
28-02-2016, 09:58
how can you play with deadzones???
how is possible to steer with precise ?
It is a great wonder
ι try playing with controller.even with steer deadzone 1 is total unplayable. if I had no steering wheel, I'd throw the game away.

r you magicians?????
depends on controller quality????

Pr3t3nd3r
28-02-2016, 10:27
how can you play with deadzones???
how is possible to steer with precise ?
It is a great wonder
ι try playing with controller.even with steer deadzone 1 is total unplayable. if I had no steering wheel, I'd throw the game away.

r you magicians?????
depends on controller quality????

It's very simple if the game supports the pad very well ;)

hkraft300
28-02-2016, 12:45
It's very simple if the game supports the pad very well ;)

It does: with its level of customisation.
With all the calibration and ffb tweaking that wheels have to do, I reckon we have it easy :p

Try steering mode 2. Then set steering sensitivity to 50. Then dial in speed sensitivity and controller filtering to get the response you like. Adjust steering sensitivity to fine tune.

DragonSyr
28-02-2016, 14:06
about the deadzones...... what is the purpose ?
is for mulfunctioned controller ? (spikes on center) ???
who wants to drive with deadzone with no problems on the controller

Fernandito
28-02-2016, 14:14
who wants to drive with deadzone with no problems on the controlleryou need some dead zone with the sticks. Otherwise it becomes unmanageable.

Set it to "3" while on control type 2.

Mad Al
28-02-2016, 14:17
you need some dead zone with the sticks. Otherwise it becomes unmanageable.

Set it to "3" while on control type 2.

that's an opinion, not a fact..

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
28-02-2016, 14:43
who wants to drive with deadzone with no problems on the controllerWhen I let go of my Xbox 360 pad's stick the car always pulls one way if I have deadzone set to 0. There's a small area near the middle of the stick's movement range where you can put it into various positions and it won't center. So if I don't use at least Deadzone 4 with the gamepad I can't drive straight, it always wants to pull into some direction.

Fernandito
28-02-2016, 14:53
that's an opinion, not a fact..cool story brah

kevin kirk
28-02-2016, 15:06
has anyone tested the difference in using xbox one and xbox 360 controller? I can feel how much more exact with the xbox one controller I can be than the 360. I was wondering how much that impacts gameplay. If I remember correctly, When I first started testing the nuts and bolts of controller and the way how each setting effected it. Turning the tire wear off fuel off and testing on a empty tank made it a lot easier to learn exactly what each setting did and how much it did it.

DragonSyr
28-02-2016, 15:07
so for 0 deadzone someones need a high quality pad.
can you name one of the best controller with high precice center????

according this (http://www.third-helix.com/2013/04/12/doing-thumbstick-dead-zones-right.html) which method of deadzone we have in pcars?

Mad Al
28-02-2016, 15:24
cool story brah

let's just say there is an interaction between mode, steering sensitivity, filtering and speed sensitivity that affects the deadzone and how it works... there are also underlying settings that are set by the 3 modes (which includes additional settings for low-lock steering sensitivity and circular deadzone..)

So as I said, if you set everything up to not need it, then you don't need a deadzone.

Nomad06
28-02-2016, 16:02
Well that's the problem. You have to play "how to survive" race/game. I can do that in a Wreckfest or similar game. What we need is a better support for the pad. And that's why I have stopped buying DLCs and playing this game. It lacks a support for the pad.

SMS is in the business of trying to sell wheels...or advertising for wheels....so my guess is, their thought process wouldn't be huddled around making a game pad an easy venture and quite embarrassing that game pad users could or even should be competitive.

I mean really. If things are made sooo difficult for pad users. .you'll have to buy a wheel, right?

DECATUR PLAYA
28-02-2016, 16:05
My technique is simple. I like to have the feeling like I have the control over the wheel. This means I like to do mini corrections and therefore I don't like to move the stick a lot on low to medium corners. That's why I have set the deadzone to 0. But if I want to do that I have to find a perfect spot for the steering sensitivity because it affects the steering speed. To much sensitivity will give me to fast steering and therefore unstable steering. To low sensitivity will give to much deadzone and non linearity which means I can't do those mini corrections while cornering or going at high speed. With that I like to have a feeling that steering is linear or in other words I like to have lower deadzone at the high speed and lower sensitivity. When speed drops down I also like to have the same deadzone but higher sensitivity which means I can maneuver fast like in a real car. This is same as in the real car. When you are cruising in the city steering wheel is more responsive and less responsive at the high speed on the highway.

I simply can't achieve that in the pCARS and therefore can't play normally because either I am to slow in the cornering (with the lack of the feeling I have described) or my setup is unstable in the high speed corners and straights.

This is what I would like to achieve like in other games I have mentioned.

Now we have something to work with.

The way I configured my controller was a lot like you have your setup. The key is to find a happy place with your steering dead zone and sensitivity and then you can smooth that feeling out with you speed sensitivity setting at the bottom of the screen and the controller filtering sensitivity. A lot of the HIGH speed sensitivity is controlled thru the speed sensitivity setting. I run mines at 55 i think. Most guys say between 55-65 is good for them.

What cars are you driving.

I don't change my settings between cars. Most cars require that you change your driving approach for that car.

Example: One night me some buddys decided to race the Lotus 49 (beautiful car) which turned out to be a hand full. This was before the Lotus track expansion in which SMS did a lot of work to the setup design of these cars. Long story short the car was a brick. I could not get the car to turn in for corners. My setup knowledge at the time was pretty good and I could just not get the car to turn in. So instead of changing my settings I changed my approach to driving the car I just had to realize that this car was not going to respond like a GT3 or some other car that I was driving. Had a similar feeling with Saber. Bottom line is I would change the setups and my driving approach to a car before I change my controller settings.

Pr3t3nd3r
28-02-2016, 16:12
Now we have something to work with.

The way I configured my controller was a lot like you have your setup. The key is to find a happy place with your steering dead zone and sensitivity and then you can smooth that feeling out with you speed sensitivity setting at the bottom of the screen and the controller filtering sensitivity. A lot of the HIGH speed sensitivity is controlled thru the speed sensitivity setting. I run mines at 55 i think. Most guys say between 55-65 is good for them.

What cars are you driving.

I don't change my settings between cars. Most cars require that you change your driving approach for that car.

Example: One night me some buddys decided to race the Lotus 49 (beautiful car) which turned out to be a hand full. This was before the Lotus track expansion in which SMS did a lot of work to the setup design of these cars. Long story short the car was a brick. I could not get the car to turn in for corners. My setup knowledge at the time was pretty good and I could just not get the car to turn in. So instead of changing my settings I changed my approach to driving the car I just had to realize that this car was not going to respond like a GT3 or some other car that I was driving. Had a similar feeling with Saber. Bottom line is I would change the setups and my driving approach to a car before I change my controller settings.

I like to drive all the cars but if I have to pick one class I would say GT3.

Sure we have to adopt our driving style to a different car class but still I can't find it to play as good as I can AC or rF2 or R3E.

Gl4dia7QrZ
28-02-2016, 17:59
The controller settings of project cars are verry good. I played pcars on playstation and on xbox and i use the same settings.

Here is a vid of the settings

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8XDMh5lQk

Pr3t3nd3r
28-02-2016, 18:56
The controller settings of project cars are verry good. I played pcars on playstation and on xbox and i use the same settings.

Here is a vid of the settings

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8XDMh5lQk

Thanks for willing to share with me! Will try it ASAP ;)

Pr3t3nd3r
15-03-2016, 18:10
After many hours spent trying to configure gamepad to my taste I have finally found the perfect settings for my taste! I really enjoy playing this game now!

Thanks guys for willing to help me and looking forward to meet you and race with you!

As for me you can close this thread now....problem is solved :D

Motorhead Racer
15-03-2016, 18:40
I have done something like 500 races, hundreds of hours, and I 'manage' even keep up with some of the best at times, sure I have my weaknesses but I wouldnt say the support is not there, or it is as bad as you seem to think it is, and I run mostly everything on default..

I am also using a VERY very old xbox 360 controller, remember when the Xbox 360 Elite was released? yeah a controller from that, its battered and worn but does the job!

Pr3t3nd3r
15-03-2016, 18:55
I have done something like 500 races, hundreds of hours, and I 'manage' even keep up with some of the best at times, sure I have my weaknesses but I wouldnt say the support is not there, or it is as bad as you seem to think it is, and I run mostly everything on default..

I am also using a VERY very old xbox 360 controller, remember when the Xbox 360 Elite was released? yeah a controller from that, its battered and worn but does the job!

I think mine is 5-6 years old or more :)

That controller is a pure quality stuff IMO :)

Btw...what's your time on SPA with GT3 cars? :) Do you manage to go under 2:20? :D