PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Three

Pops Racer
28-02-2016, 03:31
It seems many races are devolving into only three drivers after a few laps.
This is a bit different from having players dropped due to network or other issues(rage quit, mom calling etc). Many races i start have massive dropouts and i often finish as the only driver.(13 laps at nordshief a few days ago and by the third lap i am alone.)
This other phenomenom i am seeing is becoming common as the racers below Third place drop out.
That is fine for me as i stay in a race regardless so its an easy podium finish but it violates the spirit of racing in my opinion.
Is there some way to encourage racers to stay in a race?
Maybe "season points" or some other point system to reward slower drivers for completing a race?
In real life a driver can never win a race but win at the end of the season due to points accrured.
This is a real problem and needs a solution.

STEELJOCKEY
28-02-2016, 05:28
Some people just don't have patience or commitment in this modern world, they want instant gratification. If they can't win in 3 laps, they quit. That's one reason why they don't improve because they don't take the time to do the laps, gaining skills and learning from mistakes.

Same happens on xbox, too many FM drivers, where the game only allows them to do 3-5 laps anyway, so once again, they quit and drop out when they are not in front after a couple of laps.

A league is a good way to go, as usually they are more committed to playing this game as a sim, and running quite a few more laps.

Rambo_Commando
28-02-2016, 06:06
I did an online gt3 race, 5 laps, monza. I qualified P5/12. After the first chicane I was P10. On lap 4 is was in P3! I did not physically race against any driver, I had open track for the whole race because I could not keep up with race pace. The only reason why I finished in P3 was because everyone eventually quit. I see this more in public lobbies with damage on.

biggbaddwolf
28-02-2016, 20:13
I think more people might be encouraged to race more if the room moderator didn't have to play he-man, and disable all assists, and damage on full. For crying out loud, let people use them if they wish, and turn damage off. It doesn't have to be like "real world"..After all it is a damn game!!!! I know I pass on all the rooms with assists disabled, and damage on, and I usually won't waste my time to open my own room with my rules.

GUTTER-BOY
28-02-2016, 21:08
@Pops: we had the same problem, so after finding others who were sick of it we joined a league. Due to the disconnect issues, the league owner from Germany decided to disband it recently.

We started a new group called Half-Fast Racing League. www.halffastsimracing.com (that's Half Fast Sim Racing .com). We have a Friday night series, Saturday and Sunday series. Different cars and tracks for each series. Pick one you like and fits your time, or join all if you want. Most of us are from the States, but with some Canadians, Aussies and Brits, too.

We're not too serious, but we keep it fun with good close racing. Check it out if you're interested. Next Sunday series will be Corvettes at Brno, Watkins Glenn GP and then Sonoma. We do restrict driving assists and run full damage. The reason is that we sometimes run mixed class racing, so to keep it fair we limit stuff because some cars have TC, ABS, etc. and some don't. And we run damage because it makes people think twice before pulling a Senna-like dive bomb move. Repercussions of hitting someone and sustaining damage keeps things clean.

Krus Control
28-02-2016, 21:19
In probably half of the races I do everybody leaves within the first few laps. Some people don't want to race if they get smoked and are 5 sec behind after one lap. I'll leave a race myself if my setup has issues or if I joined late and didn't get enough practice to hit my braking points and whatnot. I don't think these people that are quitting so early are really worth racing anyway.

racesafegrandad
29-02-2016, 08:21
I did an online gt3 race, 5 laps, monza. I qualified P5/12. After the first chicane I was P10. On lap 4 is was in P3! I did not physically race against any driver, I had open track for the whole race because I could not keep up with race pace. The only reason why I finished in P3 was because everyone eventually quit. I see this more in public lobbies with damage on.

This is almost the norm for me. I can't keep up with the fast drivers but all I have to do is stay to the end of the race, make no mistakes and I am on the rostrum drinking the champagne. :)
But the problem is, the drivers that give up seem to be the same drivers that just want to bash you off the track if they can. I hate them! Grrrrrr.

poirqc
02-03-2016, 04:11
I think more people might be encouraged to race more if the room moderator didn't have to play he-man, and disable all assists, and damage on full. For crying out loud, let people use them if they wish, and turn damage off. It doesn't have to be like "real world"..After all it is a damn game!!!! I know I pass on all the rooms with assists disabled, and damage on, and I usually won't waste my time to open my own room with my rules.

Hehe, that made me chuckle! :D

Krus Control
02-03-2016, 04:20
Haha I'll leave assists on but then turn on T-storms just to be a sadist.

RomKnight
02-03-2016, 12:06

"My server, my rules. Not happy, search for another" - my default answer on teamspeak when testing with some mates that insist on using external cameras (i lock to onboard) and the same for assists as they are over efficient in pCARS.

Too bad I can't disable thinks like the line that some also use which is a HUGE advantage at night.

Then again, when I do this is private. Public lobbies no thank you, I want to keep the remainder of my sanity :D