PDA

View Full Version : FOV settings

BreadedVirus
01-03-2016, 00:31
What FOV settings do people use for the game? Specifically cockpit and helmet cam.

Rambo_Commando
01-03-2016, 03:46
I leave it at 80. Is moving the seat forward or backward the same as adjusting the FOV?

moniker_a
01-03-2016, 05:11
I'm at 70 in cockpit cam. Check out this video regarding FOV - it explains it all pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYeiAHsdr0

Adjusting the seat forward and back doesn't adjust the FOV, as far as I can tell.

BigDad
01-03-2016, 06:10
If you plug in a keyboard on ps4 you can use control k and +/- on the num pad to adjust fov in game .

Jbpd
01-03-2016, 07:25
64 helmet cam

Plus I have played around with fov speed sensitivity

konnos
01-03-2016, 09:59
60 helmet cam, with invisible helmet. Works pretty nicely on my 27" screen at 75cm distance from my face. Obviously you lose side vision, but it's a good compromise.

Rotters91
05-03-2016, 14:45
I used the FOV calculator to set up my helmet cam. The result came out as 46 and I used it in an online race in the McLaren GT3. First off I had to put the seat right back as I couldn't see the Motec display on the wheel. The view itself was alright, it definitely brings everything closer. But once racing it was a nightmare, it seemed to magnify every bounce bump and compression so much that it was almost impossible to drive a consistent lap. Peripheral vision was non-existent. For the next race I wound the FOV back to 65 as a guess, roughly halfway between where I started and the FOV calculator result. This was much better although I'm not sure it was enough of a difference from 80 to notice in the heat of a race.

What I've decided is to keep an open mind and try it on different cars and give myself a chance to get accustomed to it. The video makes sense and I'll experiment with a gradually decreasing FOV setting until I reach one I can live with

KillerFox1978
05-03-2016, 21:30
I Use 90 in cockpit cam/invisible helmet, i tried using lower but this then makes Peripheral vision non-existent which is no good for racing others unable to see anyone next to you. 90 is the best setting in my eyes.

spacepadrille
05-03-2016, 21:51
72 helmet view (without helmet). TV is 44" at 1.50m from my eyes.

inthebagbud
05-03-2016, 21:52
I am not sure pov works correctly on consoles. This has been discussed before and with no satisfactory answer.

FOV is supposed to change the view outside of the car as far as I understand but if I use it on xbox all that happens is that if you are using in car view you are moved nearer the dash . Even if you use the seat back / forward settings it just is not enough to actually make this feature work properly

TheReaper GT
05-03-2016, 22:03
I am not sure pov works correctly on consoles. This has been discussed before and with no satisfactory answer.

FOV is supposed to change the view outside of the car as far as I understand but if I use it on xbox all that happens is that if you are using in car view you are moved nearer the dash . Even if you use the seat back / forward settings it just is not enough to actually make this feature work properly

The feature works as intended, fov stands for field of view and the number is the fov angle, the high the number, higher the angle... Therefore more you will see...

inthebagbud
07-03-2016, 07:33
The feature works as intended, fov stands for field of view and the number is the fov angle, the high the number, higher the angle... Therefore more you will see...

Reaper I get that but should your position in the car not stay static ?

Bealdor
07-03-2016, 07:43

It does. It's just looks like you get closer to the dash because the FOV influences the cockpit too.

wyldanimal
08-03-2016, 17:04

It does. It's just looks like you get closer to the dash because the FOV influences the cockpit too.

It's done with Simulating a Wider View on the Same Size Display. So There is a bit of ZOOMing in / out involved.

It's Not Like your Screen is Physically Stretched wider so you see more, without adjusting the zoom.

If you adjust from a 60 deg FOV to a Wider 90 deg FOV, then there is a ZOOM OUT, and it will look like your Seat has moved Back further.
the Seat is still in the same position, you just now have a Wider View.

If you Adjust FOV from 90 to 60, then you will have a ZOOM IN, and it looks like your Seat is Closer.

Seat Position and FOV both contribute to getting the Right driving experience.

I'm using a 32" screen with a FOV set to 80 deg.

Humm..
I can Set FOV to 90, then with Black Paper, Mask off the Two Side of the Screen so I only Have a FOV of 60.
Then Slide my Screen Closer to my Seat...

Then to get More FOV, I can just slide the Paper Mask open a bit more..

That will let me adjust FOV and not Affect the ZOOM on the Screen.

poirqc
11-03-2016, 15:35
This is how i run my helmet cam. (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?45761-What-setting-disables-the-effect-that-makes-the-car-to-sway&p=1249697&viewfull=1#post1249697)

I like it. Seems natural to me.

FoV @ 80 btw

Olijke Poffer
01-05-2017, 17:37
A bit old topic but today I used the fov calculator. http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de
I have a 55inch screen. My eyes are 1.43m from the Screen so the correct fov according the calculator is 46.
Wow. It plays completely different. The First few laps I missed every corner and my first reaction was. I'll set it back to 75.
But suddenly I got the hang of it. It plays more realistic or feels and looks more realistic. And best thing, I'm driving much much much faster. With the AI set to 85 I barely could keep up with the back of the line up. Now with the FOV set to 46 I can keep up with the front of the line up. And not barely but easily.
The view shakes much more indeed but when I watch a real racedriver on a track, I see the guy shaking in the cocpit like hell. So for me the cam shake in Pcars is a welcome addition.

bradleyland
02-05-2017, 03:28
A bit old topic but today I used the fov calculator. http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de
I have a 55inch screen. My eyes are 1.43 cm from the Screen so the correct fov according the calculator is 46.
Wow. It plays completely different. The First few laps I missed every corner and my first reaction was. I'll set it back to 75.
But suddenly I got the hang of it. It plays more realistic or feels and looks more realistic. And best thing, I'm driving much much much faster. With the AI set to 85 I barely could keep up with the back of the line up. Now with the FOV set to 46 I can keep up with the front of the line up. And not barely but easily.
The view shakes much more indeed but when I watch a real racedriver on a track, I see the guy shaking in the cocpit like hell. So for me the cam shake in Pcars is a welcome addition.

But how do you keep the screen from fogging up :D

Hehehe, yes, I know you meant 1.43m :)

bradleyland
02-05-2017, 03:42

Your position in the car does stay static. The appearance of zooming in and out is a function of changing FOV.

Think of it like this. Take the distance from you to your TV. Now, imagine that a frame — the same size as your TV —*is hanging in front of you at the same distance as your TV. What can you see inside the frame? With your FOV adjusted for "true to life" settings, that's what you'd see on your display.

The problem is that most people sit very far from their TV. If you take the scenario above (frame hanging in a car), and you place the frame 2 meters in front of you, the frame would be somewhere out on the hood. You wouldn't see anything inside the car at all. Maybe the top of the steering wheel.

This is also why sim racing rigs put the displays up close. It's a balancing act between comfort and FOV. If your TV is too close, it's uncomfortable. Too far, and using a realistic FOV means you can't see the inside of your car.

I sit about 0.75m from my 40" TV. The "true" FOV from my setup is 61 according to this calculator (http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de). I compromise by running a FOV that is a little higher, but I try to stay as close to 61 as possible. It's one of the biggest reasons I really want to upgrade to a 60" TV for my setup.

Olijke Poffer
02-05-2017, 03:49
But how do you keep the screen from fogging up :D

Hehehe, yes, I know you meant 1.43m :)

Hahaha yeah indeed.. 1.43 cm is a bit to close I guess. :tears_of_joy:

Tepp
25-05-2017, 16:16
The problem with all these FOV calculators and all these "proper" and "mathematically correct" values is the assumption that the FOV setting in the game should be equal to the angle of your view to your monitor. This usually explained as the window you are looking through. So the field of view (FOV) should depend on distance you are standing from this window.

But, THIS IS NOT TRUE !!!

Let's imagine you are looking at a 30x40cm photograph hanging on the wall in front of you. The picture is taken with some standard camera with standard lens, which has it's own parameters - focal length, field of view, frame size, and many other.

Now try to step back few steps. Then a few more. Did the FOV on the picture change? Think of it? Does it?

The answer is NO!

The same is with the games. You are looking at the PICTURE, and the FOV does not depend on the distance how far you are sitting/standing from it. Now you know that!

Let me introduce a new term from world of photography, which is tightly related to all the lens and optical parameters - and the term is PERSPECTIVE.

Every experienced photographer knows about it. And he (she) knows that the wide-angle lenses (have wider FOV) extends the perspective - distance between the objects in the field of the picture looks increased comparing to a "normal" perspective. But, the telephoto lenses (narrow FOV) compress the perspective, so the objects look closer to each other and to a viewer than they are "normally". Both these cases are called PERSPECTIVE DISTORTION.

Actually, when you are changing the FOV in the game (actually this should be called AOV - Angle of View, or Angular Field of View), two things happen and they are tied togehter:

1. The field of view (proper FOV term) changes - the visible part of the image, so you can see more - that's why most of the users set this higher, so they see more of the scene.
2. The perspective also changes. And if you set too high or too low, you've got the perspective distortion.

So actually we want the "NORMAL" perspective, to avoid the perspective distortion, right?

I'm a photographer, so I know that the "normal" lens, which does not have (or have minimal) perspective distortion is the f=50mm lens (f=focal length, on full frame camera with 24x36mm frame size, 3:2 aspect ratio). So with simple calculations, we can realize that the "normal" field of view (actually, horizontal angular FOV) for 16:9 image will be 45 degrees.

That's why most of the sim racers prefer to sit closer - because in this case all the FOV calculators give them "proper mathematical" values. That's it. They just didn't know about the perspective ... until now! ... :)

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view
https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables
http://themetalmuncher.github.io/fov-calc/

P.S. Sorry for my English.

poirqc
26-05-2017, 13:05
The problem with all these FOV calculators and all these "proper" and "mathematically correct" values is the assumption that the FOV setting in the game should be equal to the angle of your view to your monitor. This usually explained as the window you are looking through. So the field of view (FOV) should depend on distance you are standing from this window.

But, THIS IS NOT TRUE !!!

Let's imagine you are looking at a 30x40cm photograph hanging on the wall in front of you. The picture is taken with some standard camera with standard lens, which has it's own parameters - focal length, field of view, frame size, and many other.

Now try to step back few steps. Then a few more. Did the FOV on the picture change? Think of it? Does it?

The answer is NO!

The same is with the games. You are looking at the PICTURE, and the FOV does not depend on the distance how far you are sitting/standing from it. Now you know that!

Let me introduce a new term from world of photography, which is tightly related to all the lens and optical parameters - and the term is PERSPECTIVE.

Every experienced photographer knows about it. And he (she) knows that the wide-angle lenses (have wider FOV) extends the perspective - distance between the objects in the field of the picture looks increased comparing to a "normal" perspective. But, the telephoto lenses (narrow FOV) compress the perspective, so the objects look closer to each other and to a viewer than they are "normally". Both these cases are called PERSPECTIVE DISTORTION.

Actually, when you are changing the FOV in the game (actually this should be called AOV - Angle of View, or Angular Field of View), two things happen and they are tied togehter:

1. The field of view (proper FOV term) changes - the visible part of the image, so you can see more - that's why most of the users set this higher, so they see more of the scene.
2. The perspective also changes. And if you set too high or too low, you've got the perspective distortion.

So actually we want the "NORMAL" perspective, to avoid the perspective distortion, right?

I'm a photographer, so I know that the "normal" lens, which does not have (or have minimal) perspective distortion is the f=50mm lens (f=focal length, on full frame camera with 24x36mm frame size, 3:2 aspect ratio). So with simple calculations, we can realize that the "normal" field of view (actually, horizontal angular FOV) for 16:9 image will be 45 degrees.

That's why most of the sim racers prefer to sit closer - because in this case all the FOV calculators give them "proper mathematical" values. That's it. They just didn't know about the perspective ... until now! ... :)

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view
https://www.nikonians.org/reviews/fov-tables
http://themetalmuncher.github.io/fov-calc/

P.S. Sorry for my English.

Recently, i've changed my FoV settings in pCars and AC. For a long while i couldn't pick between large FoV and further front seat or smaller FoV and moving the seat back. Since i like the cockpit view, i ended going to a smaller FoV and moving the seat back as far as i could. When this is done, i fine tune the seat/fov so that the dash match the size of my physical steering. Having a smaller FoV really help me on corner entry. It's even better when following cars closely.

I ended up between 45 and 55.

Thanks for the nice explanation!

Olijke Poffer
26-05-2017, 13:45
Same over here.. 55inch FOV set to 46 and using a keyboard to move de seat in de cockpit . Works great..

inthebagbud
27-05-2017, 06:25
Your position in the car does stay static. The appearance of zooming in and out is a function of changing FOV.

Think of it like this. Take the distance from you to your TV. Now, imagine that a frame — the same size as your TV —*is hanging in front of you at the same distance as your TV. What can you see inside the frame? With your FOV adjusted for "true to life" settings, that's what you'd see on your display.

The problem is that most people sit very far from their TV. If you take the scenario above (frame hanging in a car), and you place the frame 2 meters in front of you, the frame would be somewhere out on the hood. You wouldn't see anything inside the car at all. Maybe the top of the steering wheel.

This is also why sim racing rigs put the displays up close. It's a balancing act between comfort and FOV. If your TV is too close, it's uncomfortable. Too far, and using a realistic FOV means you can't see the inside of your car.

I sit about 0.75m from my 40" TV. The "true" FOV from my setup is 61 according to this calculator (http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de). I compromise by running a FOV that is a little higher, but I try to stay as close to 61 as possible. It's one of the biggest reasons I really want to upgrade to a 60" TV for my setup.

But on the xbox the only thing that happens is you move towards or away from the windscreen, objects outside of the car do not move

Do objects outside of the car move for ps4 and pc , I would like to see video comparison of this function as I am sure it just does not work on xbox

Olijke Poffer
27-05-2017, 07:09
No objects do not move, neither your car or dashboard. It will show up lager or smaller when altering the FOV.
I have the FOV set to 46 and my wheel is set very close to the screen. Everything looks real life size, inc the tracks and the buildings etc. When I set the FOV to the standard 81(I believe) the whole game world gets smaller. It looks like it gets stretched out towards the horizon so to speak.
So objects do not move but they appear to get bigger or smaller..
that is my perception of the FOV. I don't know if this is true but I experience it this way..

VintageGeo61
02-10-2017, 12:32
yeah i came up with about 44 but didnt like that, i am at 54 now and using speed sensitive settings to pull it back at speed and it feels pretty good