PDA

View Full Version : (Revived) Why does every car in the game feel overly tail happy?

Zekken
01-03-2016, 23:37
Now, I've owned pCARs since last November, but after an update around early January I think, every single car has become extremely tail happy, touching the throttle just ends up with you facing backwards in a lot of cars.

I don't know if maybe Im just bad at driving lol, but its only been a thing for a month or two, and has completely put me off the game. it happens most often when I let off to go around a corner, and then apply power again out of the corner, a large percentage of the time it ends in me completely spinning out. and then when trying to get going again, I have to push the accelerator extremely gingerly or I just lose complete traction and the car spins out again.

so far, out of all the cars I have driven, the only one where this doesn't happen regularly is the Mclaren 12C GT3. Even then its still fairly tail happy, but its easier to control than most of the others. Even the Mistubishi Evo does this, a car I would of assumed to have plenty of traction and be fairly forgiving.

I've spent hours trying to set up cars to counter this as much as possible, but it doesn't work. on wet tracks it just magnifies the problem, I was stuck on a race for absolutely ever in career mode because it started in the wet, on a corner, and the second the auto drive switched to manual the car would literally spin out, you didn't even have to touch the throttle, it would just go. eventually I gave up, just took the massive loss and moved on.

im not going to say this is the games fault yet, maybe I'm just terrible at driving, but I've been playing Racing Sims since the original Gran Turismo, and this is the only game I have encountered this issue, but its only been like this since January at the earliest.

so... help?

bradleyland
01-03-2016, 23:41
Is it possible you could post a video with the telemetry HUD turned on? It's easier to give coaching advice if we can have a look at the inputs. You might also try going back to the default setup. You may have tweaked something unintentionally that is causing the spinouts.

Zekken
01-03-2016, 23:44
Is it possible you could post a video with the telemetry HUD turned on? It's easier to give coaching advice if we can have a look at the inputs. You might also try going back to the default setup. You may have tweaked something unintentionally that is causing the spinouts.

I could do that, I did think maybe I changed a control setting or something so I defaulted it, but not changing the actual car setup.

preference on Car/track/conditions? im on PC using an Xbox Controller

Krus Control
01-03-2016, 23:44
I would say what I have experienced is a slow move towards realism in every car. The fact that they used to not do this was a problem. This tail happiness can be fixed or managed at least with setup and is different in every car. Any car that is doing this in the game does this in real life. Many of them are more extreme in real life, as PCARS has a too much grip problem in almost every car. Are you using wheel or gamepad? If you use a wheel configuring your force feedback would be a good idea and help in a lot of cars.

Zekken
01-03-2016, 23:50
I would say what I have experienced is a slow move towards realism in every car. The fact that they used to not do this was a problem. This tail happiness can be fixed or managed at least with setup and is different in every car. Any car that is doing this in the game does this in real life. Many of them are more extreme in real life, as PCARS has a too much grip problem in almost every car. Are you using wheel or gamepad? If you use a wheel configuring your force feedback would be a good idea and help in a lot of cars.

I thought that, but then I thought that every other racing Sim I've played would of at least been similar, and they just don't do that. Gran Turismo/Forza etc.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
01-03-2016, 23:52
I thought that, but then I thought that every other racing Sim I've played would of at least been similar, and they just don't do that. Gran Turismo/Forza etc.See, your mistake there was thinking Gran Turismo and Forza are actual simulators. They're fun games, definitely, but they're not quite at the serious simulator level.

Zekken
01-03-2016, 23:53
See, your mistake there was thinking Gran Turismo and Forza are actual simulators. They're fun games, definitely, but they're not quite at the serious simulator level.

really? welp

also, I amend my statement that every car does it, I just tried the Ford Focus, which I have never actually driven before, and its fine.

havocc
01-03-2016, 23:58
really? welp

also, I amend my statement that every car does it, I just tried the Ford Focus, which I have never actually driven before, and its fine.

Well it's hard to experience throttle oversteer in a fwd car...

01-03-2016, 23:59
Aside from lift-off oversteer.

Zekken
02-03-2016, 00:02
Well it's hard to experience throttle oversteer in a fwd car...

I figured, which is why I tried something FWD.

biggbaddwolf
02-03-2016, 00:08
I have that problem with a lot of my cars. Posted about it in the PS4 forum. Everyone thought I was wacko!! I am tired of the "it's a simulator, deal with it" responses. It is a DAMN game, give us some GRIP!!! I will try to wait patiently for GTSport, and GT7. At least those cars have some grip with the racing softs, which you can use on all cars!!

biggbaddwolf
02-03-2016, 00:10
Oh and if the big he-man types want to race their cars like that more power to them, but add a setting for more grip for those of us that realize it is just a game, and would rather spend more time racing, and less time spinning out!!

Zekken
02-03-2016, 00:19
well, its not a youtube video, but its a Twitch Highlight (Im a twitch streamer for another game, and booting up the streaming software and click stream, then highlighting it is easier than creating a youtube vid and uploading it) Anyway: http://www.twitch.tv/asassian7/v/51812826

its using the Ford Falcon FG on Bathurst - which is a Track I have driven on many times across many other games, and I know it extremely well. I did 2 laps in the Falcon, then I switched the the Mclaren 12C GT3 to compare how I was driving.

bit of a note: the spin on the corner before Conrod Straight on the first lap was completely my fault. I could of easily avoided that. Also, the Third corner going left up the hill is a death trap for spins, I almost lost it in the 12C as well, applying any sort of power out of that corner in almost every car I've Driven ends in a spin

Krus Control
02-03-2016, 00:36
Looks to me like typical carish car stuff that cars do. Driving is really tough and you can't expect to perfectly control a complex race machine with a gamepad. Unless you switch to a wheel this kind of stuff will happen to you.

Zekken
02-03-2016, 00:55
Looks to me like typical carish car stuff that cars do. Driving is really tough and you can't expect to perfectly control a complex race machine with a gamepad. Unless you switch to a wheel this kind of stuff will happen to you.

if that actually is the case, then how am I able to stop spinning? so far the only way I have been able to prevent it is basically by driving like a granny and being super gentle with everything I do, but of course hoping to win races driving like that is not going to happen

Jason Ganz
02-03-2016, 01:09
have you tried doing scandinavian flicks in the Meganes, the CLios, and the Focus? HUGE FUN!

T0MMY
02-03-2016, 01:20
if that actually is the case, then how am I able to stop spinning? so far the only way I have been able to prevent it is basically by driving like a granny and being super gentle with everything I do, but of course hoping to win races driving like that is not going to happen

You can try follow the racing lines colours, it is pretty good for estimating how fast you need to drive on every part of the track.

Zekken
02-03-2016, 01:30
You can try follow the racing lines colours, it is pretty good for estimating how fast you need to drive on every part of the track.

I do attempt that, I've got it set to only braking, so when theres no line on the track I assume it means there should be no issue getting around that corner, but especially down the end of conrod when you take the right hand turn, even with no line there, it still spins pretty easily.

Mahjik
02-03-2016, 01:38
For starters, look at the colors of the tires in the HUD. If they are blue, they are cold and will spin very easily. You can't just start flying out of the pit lane on cold tires. Some series/cars, will have warm tires out of the gate where as others need a lap or two to warm up.

T0MMY
02-03-2016, 01:39
I do attempt that, I've got it set to only braking, so when theres no line on the track I assume it means there should be no issue getting around that corner, but especially down the end of conrod when you take the right hand turn, even with no line there, it still spins pretty easily.

That part of the track is depend on cars, I find some of them handling pretty well even if you floor it but some will spin. I suggest brake a little for turns like that when you are unsure how much the car could handle.

Zekken
02-03-2016, 01:47
For starters, look at the colors of the tires in the HUD. If they are blue, they are cold and will spin very easily. You can't just start flying out of the pit lane on cold tires. Some series/cars, will have warm tires out of the gate where as others need a lap or two to warm up.

if you could explain how the whole tire wear thing to me that would actually help a lot, it seems far more advanced that other games (like Gran Turismo) where they just go from fresh to worn.

I've looked for info on them but I couldn't find any official explanations

T0MMY
02-03-2016, 02:03
if you could explain how the whole tire wear thing to me that would actually help a lot, it seems far more advanced that other games (like Gran Turismo) where they just go from fresh to worn.

The colours of the blocks in HUD shows the temperature of the tires, green is optimal, blue is cold and red is hot. When the tire starts wearing you will see the blocks in the HUD getting shorter if I remember correctly.

Umer Ahmad
02-03-2016, 02:08
Yeah the color fades away from top to bottom as the rubber erodes

Bankai_Bullett
02-03-2016, 02:10
Well, going into T2 at Bathurst with cold tires, then flattening the throttle is in the '100% guaranteed to spin' club...
Especially in a V8SC. It'll take a lap or 2 to get them up to temperature...
The McLaren comes with warmed up tires, so you've immediately got more grip, and is a bit easier to handle from what I've driven.

I did notice that you were quite twitchy with your inputs though. So maybe trying to be a bit smoother or... more progressive, with your throttle in particular.
Also, you're not doing yourself any favours with the constant off-throttle/on-brake - off-brake/on-throttle driving (by that I mean when your going through the corner, you're constantly dabbing both the throttle and the brake, then giving it the beans and losing it) because the car is all over the place, unsettled and will definitely brake traction and spin in that environment...

On the setup side of things (not knowing if you use TC or ABS) you could mess about with the Diff Locks, Soften the Rear ARB, soften the Rear Slow & Fast Bumps, Rebounds and Spring Rates. It may give you a more predictable car, it may not, depending on your driving style lol

Hope this helps! :D

Mahjik
02-03-2016, 02:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCgGnS5qUWQ

See if this video helps.. I would also take a look at the controller settings in the following thread (which may help some with your control):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?23153-Xbox-One-Controller-Configuration-Guide

Zekken
02-03-2016, 02:22
Well, going into T2 at Bathurst with cold tires, then flattening the throttle is in the '100% guaranteed to spin' club...
The McLaren comes with warmed up tires, so you've immediately got more grip, and is a bit easier to handle from what I've driven.

I did notice that you were quite twitchy with your inputs though. So maybe trying to be a bit smoother or... more progressive, with your throttle in particular.
Also, you're not doing yourself any favours with the constant off-throttle/on-brake - off-brake/on-throttle driving (by that I mean when your going through the corner, you're constantly dabbing both the throttle and the brake, then giving it the beans and losing it) because the car is all over the place, unsettled and will definitely brake traction and spin in that environment...

On the setup side of things (not knowing if you use TC or ABS) you could mess about with the Diff Locks, Soften the Rear ARB, soften the Rear Slow & Fast Bumps, Rebounds and Spring Rates. It may give you a more predictable car, it may not, depending on your driving style lol

the setup for those cars was defaulted for the laps, I use both TCS and ABS as well.

the twitch driving hails back from playing on PS2 games and shit (since I haven't actually played a proper driving sim since GT4) where the throttle and brakes were either full throttle or no throttle. Im using an Xbox controller now with the Tiggers which give smoother response, but its still not perfect.

also, I Didn't know the 12C had its tires preheated

dbo35
02-03-2016, 02:30
Ease up on the trigger. Its really the only answer if you are using a gamepad. I know that I sure as hell couldn't race with one for the same reason.

Bankai_Bullett
02-03-2016, 02:37
Yeah I had to learn how to drive properly again on PS4 with my pad too... Can't wait to get a wheel though lol
Much pad setting tweaks were necessary to get me comfortable, or I'd be useless in my league since we don't use assists lol
Have you messed with the settings much? Or is it more or less default?
Also, kudos... I swear I assumed you were driver aidsless, what with the amount of wheelspin you were accomplishing lol

And for the future, all of the GT3 class use pre-heated tires. Very good thing too lol

Zekken
02-03-2016, 02:48
the controller settings are fairly default, I only really changed key assignments for the keyboard. to do things like turn headlights/wipers on etc.

the only thing I have done is lowered the steering sensitivity a bit, I had a thought that maybe fast steering was causing some of the oversteer

Zekken
02-03-2016, 02:49
Ease up on the trigger. Its really the only answer if you are using a gamepad. I know that I sure as hell couldn't race with one for the same reason.

I've never used a wheel apart from at a gaming convention where one of the booths had pCARS set up on a sort of racing sim setup with 3 massive TV's and a full seat and stuff. it was pretty cool, and what convinced me to buy the game lol

Bankai_Bullett
02-03-2016, 02:52
the controller settings are fairly default, I only really changed key assignments for the keyboard. to do things like turn headlights/wipers on etc.

the only thing I have done is lowered the steering sensitivity a bit, I had a thought that maybe fast steering was causing some of the oversteer

Well, super fast steering doesn't help, that for sure lol
But messing with the throttle and brake settings helped me loads, so I imagine it may help you too :)

Zekken
02-03-2016, 03:01
Well, super fast steering doesn't help, that for sure lol
But messing with the throttle and brake settings helped me loads, so I imagine it may help you too :)

I might try it, could you give me an idea of what to change and how much to change it?

biggbaddwolf
02-03-2016, 03:03
But these aren't complex race machines...this is a game, and for some people wheels just aren't an option :(

Mahjik
02-03-2016, 03:06
I might try it, could you give me an idea of what to change and how much to change it?

Look at the link I provide above.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-03-2016, 03:10
V8SC is a tail happy car. Wrong car to test your theory with in my opinion. I have struggled with some cars but that 1 has been a real struggle for me. You really need a feathery touch on the throttle with that car through the turns. If you try to get hard on the throttle deep in the turn your going to spin it. What worked for me with this car is wait for the car to square up out of the turn before going full throttle. Most of the advice given in this thread has been good I just think the Supercar is a bad choice to test this theory because it is really hard to drive out of the corners.

Zekken
02-03-2016, 03:14
V8SC is a tail happy car. Wrong car to test your theory with in my opinion. I have struggled with some cars but that 1 has been a real struggle for me. You really need a feathery touch on the throttle with that car through the turns. If you try to get hard on the throttle deep in the turn your going to spin it. What worked for me with this car is wait for the car to square up out of the turn before going full throttle. Most of the advice given in this thread has been good I just think the Supercar is a bad choice to test this theory because it is really hard to drive out of the corners.

I was assuming it would be one of the better options. give me another car and I can try it with that. but even the LMP cars were doing this

biggbaddwolf
02-03-2016, 03:18
Look at the link I provide above.
I read the link you posted on controller settings, and I did notice it was for Xbox One, could similar settings be applied to the PS4, or are they completely different?

Bankai_Bullett
02-03-2016, 03:25
I read the link you posted on controller settings, and I did notice it was for Xbox One, could similar settings be applied to the PS4, or are they completely different?

I got my settings from a guy on XB1 and I'm on PS4...
Work great for me lol
I'll post a pic of them tomorrow if you like...

Bankai_Bullett
02-03-2016, 03:26

I'll post up a pic of my settings and you could try that if you want :)

biggbaddwolf
02-03-2016, 03:27
I got my settings from a guy on XB1 and I'm on PS4...
Work great for me lol
I'll post a pic of them tomorrow if you like...
That would be awesome :)

Zekken
02-03-2016, 03:56
this is going to help a lot, I love the game but the constant spinning out had put me off it, I can't wait to get back into it

hdh
02-03-2016, 05:06
Keeping the car balanced is key. Once you've mastered how to manipulate the cars balance and weight transfer, you'll be noticeably quicker.

Take a lesson from one of the old masters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jAk-i5A_s

Zekken
02-03-2016, 05:49
Well, I have spent some time fiddling with the Control configurations on the controller settings to give me some more control over the car, and along with some attempts at driving more smoothly and not being as twitchy on the throttle and brake, here is test laps 2: http://www.twitch.tv/asassian7/v/51858993

theres still some spin there (going up the mountain on lap 2, plus going through the chase in the first lap) but its obviously much smoother and I feel like I am able to keep the car under control much better, there was way less spin at T3/T4 than previously. also I took it gingerly on the first lap to let the tires warm up.

Im going to refine them some more and then start seeing if I can set the car up properly (since it was still defaulted there, only change was to control setup and how I drove)

DECATUR PLAYA
02-03-2016, 08:42
I was assuming it would be one of the better options. give me another car and I can try it with that. but even the LMP cars were doing this

Try the GT3 Benz. The SLS. Powerful car that can be tail happy with to much throttle. A good car to test your throttle control.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-03-2016, 08:45
The V8SC is a really good car. I just struggled with it for the exact reasons that you stated. I was able to get past it in other cars but I'm struggling with this 1

Sankyo
02-03-2016, 09:03
But these aren't complex race machines...this is a game, and for some people wheels just aren't an option :(
This is a game that tries to accurately simulate these complex machines. It's aiming for realism so if that's how these cars behave then that's how the game is going portray them, and it's up to the player to learn how to control them.

There are assists to help, but for the rest it's for the player to learn how to use the controller smoothly. Dumbing down the physics is not an option.

danowat
02-03-2016, 09:13
Turn assists on.

There is no shame in running assists, the game is meant to be fun, so if they stop the frustration and make it fun, go for it.

The assists are actually very well done in PCars.

Dakpilot
02-03-2016, 09:34
Try these controller settings

Mode 2 (set first)

Everything to 0 (zero) except

Throttle sensitivity 50 (I believe this is linear response)

Brake sensitivity 50

Clutch (personal or default)

Speed sensitivity 65

Controller filtering 30

Advanced OFF

Controller settings are very personal and one size will not fit all, record your old settings first so you can go back if these do not work for you :cool:

I find these to offer a good balance of control and ease of use (and better lap times/safer driving) when using a controller on PC, worth a five minute test anyway

I take no credit for these, they were presented as a base long ago (don't remember the poster) and have used them for ages, personalize with small changes only to Speed and controller filtering Sensitivity

**EDIT** I use real assists, but when a car does not have ABS always adjust its brake pressure to just be able to lock up at max braking with hot tires, nothing wrong with using assist to avoid frustration and help learning curve

Cheers Dakpilot

APR193
02-03-2016, 10:20
I don't understand the claims that this game has no grip, or that its bordering on impossible with a controller. I play with a controller on xbox and this game has far more grip than Forza 6 does.

I'll admit I do have problems with a lot of the road cars, but I feel that is down to my controller settings more than anything else. The steering on road cars feels way too light and there's no real feel for what the car is doing, but that is how all the cars felt when I first got the game before changing my settings. If I changed my settings around I believe I could get a good feel for the road cars, but the races cars feel so good for me at the moment (and I wouldn't use the road cars anyway) that I don't want to change it.

danowat
02-03-2016, 10:30
I don't understand the claims that this game has no grip, or that its bordering on impossible with a controller. I play with a controller on xbox and this game has far more grip than Forza 6 does.

Mostly, I would agree with you, there is (at least in the current patch status) plenty of grip available at most times.

There are few anomilies though.

1) Touring car spec tyres, those fitted to the BMW 320TC and the Renault V6 Trophy are really quite slippy, not driven that specific tyre IRL, but they do to me feel a little way off what I'd expect.

2) Low speed mechanical grip can be a problem in some cars, this makes corners like the last chicane on Spa hard to execute properly without the tail getting really loose.

3) Low temp grip is (IMO) still way too low

4) Once grip is lost the surface of the tyre "gooeyfies" too much, too quickly, which makes it very difficult to regain traction again, the Nitto 5 tyres shouldn't (IMO) be the exception and all tyres should feel closer to the Nitto 5

5) The default setups (to me) are quite rear end biased in many cars, and I generally find I have to soften the rear end fairly significantly to make the cars more drivable.

All that is just my opinion of course.

Mauler_77
02-03-2016, 11:05
I found this happens with a lot of cars so I tend to soften the rear end, sway bars, springs, and perhaps add some downforce back there. The BAC Mono is a good example for me as the first time I took it out it kept going round in circles, but months later, after I'd learnt a thing or two, I went back and tuned it again and it became a lot more stable. I think simply by having the sway bars stiffer at the front than the rear helps massively, although the flip side is of course moe understeer and less response into corners. The right balance takes a lot of effort.

Roger Prynne
02-03-2016, 12:18

This ^^^, plus get your controller settings sorted is my advice.

TwilightUA
02-03-2016, 13:40
I think the problem is in your driving style, because I have opposite issue. For me a lot of cars have quite noticeable understeer.

Bankai_Bullett
02-03-2016, 17:12
These are the settings I use, with the Controller Input set to 2 I think...
Feels great for the way I drive. May help anyone here too :)

Zekken
02-03-2016, 23:32
The V8SC is a really good car. I just struggled with it for the exact reasons that you stated. I was able to get past it in other cars but I'm struggling with this 1

honestly, it was one of the better cars out there for me. the worst offenders have been kit cars or light track day cars like the Caterhams or the Ariel Atoms etc. of course, and the Mclaren P1. that thing is completely undriveable. you can either be going forwards, going backwards facing the direction you were trying to go forwards, or be attempting to imitate a ballerina.

After fiddling around with the Control setups I feel like I have much more control over the car though, I think before everything was over correcting and going from one extreme to the other rather than having any gradual increase which was playing havoc when attempting to get off the line, or accelerate out of a corner, which is where I got most of the wheelspin from.

Also, as for Grip, I have found that at higher speeds cars have plenty of grip, its only at fairly low speeds, or when you hit the curb on a corner you lose it.

03-03-2016, 00:35
Mclaren P1. that thing is completely undriveable.And here's me thinking it's too tame for a nigh 1000 hp car.

I will say though that the differential in the default setup is absolutely awful, the real car runs an open differential with some electric brake locking behavior (I use viscous locking with everything else set to 0 for this).

Similarly for the Atoms as well actually, I've always been slightly frustrated that I can't get the Atoms to develop enough lift-off oversteer, which the real car is famous for. I'm pretty certain that it's largely just a differential issue though (real car has a type of differential the game can't model).

Zekken
03-03-2016, 02:31
And here's me thinking it's too tame for a nigh 1000 hp car.

I will say though that the differential in the default setup is absolutely awful, the real car runs an open differential with some electric brake locking behavior (I use viscous locking with everything else set to 0 for this).

Similarly for the Atoms as well actually, I've always been slightly frustrated that I can't get the Atoms to develop enough lift-off oversteer, which the real car is famous for. I'm pretty certain that it's largely just a differential issue though (real car has a type of differential the game can't model).lol, when I first tried the P1 on a wheel setup I legitimately could not get it to go forwards. I spent 10 minutes literally just spinning out the second I touched the throttle, or, after being extremely gentle on the throttle to get it to actually go forwards, it would spin the second I gave any steering input with absolutely 0 control, no matter how little the input was.

hkraft300
03-03-2016, 07:06

But this is a complex simulation of complex race machines...
I had a bit of a meltdown and swallowed my pride coming to pcars from GT/Forza...

Edit: don't take this the wrong way but this thread has good videos to learn. It helped me a lot.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28168-Develop-Your-Skills-Safe-is-Fast

Diamond_Eyes
03-03-2016, 07:26
Mostly, I would agree with you, there is (at least in the current patch status) plenty of grip available at most times.

There are few anomilies though.

2) Low speed mechanical grip can be a problem in some cars, this makes corners like the last chicane on Spa hard to execute properly without the tail getting really loose.

well in most cars actually.

also there's.... Second chicane, Villeneuve at Zolder / Les Combes at Spa / Nurburgring NGK chicane

These are a few more of the "traps" as I call them, embedded into the tracks to make proceedings a bit more challenging. Even with four hot 'n sticky 300mm wide race tyres you can suspiciously be turning pirouettes.

konnos
03-03-2016, 10:35
well in most cars actually.

also there's.... Second chicane, Villeneuve at Zolder / Les Combes at Spa / Nurburgring GP, Turn 4 exit

These are a few more of the "traps" as I call them, embedded into the tracks to make proceedings a bit more challenging. Even with four hot 'n sticky 300mm wide race tyres you can suspiciously be turning pirouettes.

I have the feeling that at low speeds it is difficult to estimate how fast is fast to take a turn. You have slowed down to 80km after going nuts at 240km and you think you should be taking that last chicane at Spa with no problem. And you spin out like a scrub. I've done that many times and it always feels like i m being cheated, but in retrospect it is me misjudging the sense of speed and thinking that I can take this turn. And of course your line might have something to do with it. It is a hard chicane to nail in my opinion, especially if you don't have a huge monitor or triple screen to have more side awareness. Sadly, I can take a lot of these turns a lot better in bumper-cam or even better at chase cam because I can see well where my car is inside the track. But I persevere in helmet-cam, I will get it eventually...

Diamond_Eyes
03-03-2016, 11:15
I have the feeling that at low speeds it is difficult to estimate how fast is fast to take a turn. You have slowed down to 80km after going nuts at 240km and you think you should be taking that last chicane at Spa with no problem. And you spin out like a scrub. I've done that many times and it always feels like i m being cheated, but in retrospect it is me misjudging the sense of speed and thinking that I can take this turn. And of course your line might have something to do with it. It is a hard chicane to nail in my opinion, especially if you don't have a huge monitor or triple screen to have more side awareness. Sadly, I can take a lot of these turns a lot better in bumper-cam or even better at chase cam because I can see well where my car is inside the track. But I persevere in helmet-cam, I will get it eventually...

dunno. If I've gone wrong with estimating my speed from 240kph to slow then I'd miss the turn completely. With corkscrew I don't suffer like I do with Spa bus-stop or Villeneuve @ Zolder or McDonalds @ Ochersleben. . My approach is always slow in >>tiptoe out for tricky parts of a circuit which makes me suspicious. At Bus-stop I've already settled the car at turn-in; no brakes a touch like 0-10% of the gas and i'm suddenly doing a 180. Think it must be my line rather than the speed that sets the trap.

hkraft300
03-03-2016, 20:55
Something about the bus stop at Spa that unsettles cars mid-corner. It seems a little bumpy through there. Tight diff? Surface camber change? Low ride? No idea. I'm careful through there too and can barely get on the gas til I'm pointing straight and looking pretty. Touch careful at the exit of la Source too. Its bumpy there at the exit.

Panopticism
03-03-2016, 21:11
The bus stop has dips and rises, and the surface traction is poor.

Patrick Kulinski
03-03-2016, 21:30
I'm late too the party I guess, but I'll leave that here, along with a few notes:

What taught me proper racing is GTR2's driving school. In that game you had a driving school, and some lessons contained a driving line where you saw static information where to break and where to be on the throttle. Something striking is that the coloured areas (red=brake) didn't end sharply but faded out slowly. And this is what you need to do for every thing you do: steering, braking, applying the throttle. When you look at the Telemetry screen in the game you can see the dot inside the circle, right? Now please, welcome Sir Jackie Steward again, and watch the "ball in the dish".

https://youtu.be/IZw7ZnxWKjs?t=2583

Something about the bus stop at Spa that unsettles cars mid-corner. It seems a little bumpy through there. Tight diff? Surface camber change? Low ride? No idea. I'm careful through there too and can barely get on the gas til I'm pointing straight and looking pretty. Touch careful at the exit of la Source too. Its bumpy there at the exit.

Getting your car from a flat area into a sloped one like in Busstop seems to make the rear end of the car light every single time. The same applies to Nordschleife's right-hander at Breitscheid and it applied to T3 of the Solitude Circuit. When visiting an elder driver (Mr. Herbert Linge), when he heard that you spin your car in every lap there in the development version if you are not careful, with a smile he replied "you're not the only ones".

hkraft300
04-03-2016, 01:33
Its these characteristics that make certain tracks a little bit special.
The best tracks all have particular corners that will kill you/your car/your race if you're not careful, and some of the same corners when nailed are just properly rewarding.

04-03-2016, 02:01
Its these characteristics that make certain tracks a little bit special.
The best tracks all have particular corners that will kill you/your car/your race if you're not careful, and some of the same corners when nailed are just properly rewarding.There's one particular bump that really upsets cars a lot from what I've seen, and that's the divot/bump leading into the dipper. It's positioned just so that many cars are just turning in when the rear tyres hit it, so you get that wonderful feeling of going over a crest while turning and getting your ass kicked from underneath you. =)

The only problem is that I've tried to watch a lot of footage from multiple years, and I can't see that bump on any video. It's plain as day in in-game replays, but I have yet to see it on RL video. Seems like a slight accuracy issue. Not a deal breaker, but it makes an already difficult section even more difficult.

hkraft300
04-03-2016, 06:24
Maybe in RL they're better at tuning the car for that bump than we are :p
How's about the bumps at turns 4-5-6 going uphill at Bathurst! Though its a track I just can't get right and I'm a good 7-8 seconds off the pace in almost every car.
And I'm Aussie. FML...

konnos
04-03-2016, 07:43
Last night I was left as the host in an on-line room. I changed the track to Bathurst and everyone ran off...

hkraft300
04-03-2016, 12:00
Last night I was left as the host in an on-line room. I changed the track to Bathurst and everyone ran off...

Must've been too early in the morning here in Aus :p

Schnizz58
04-03-2016, 16:14
Glad to hear this...I thought it was just me that struggled on the chicane at Spa. There seems to be a dip or something at the apex of the right-hander that if you hit at the wrong angle or speed, you will spin out into the grass on the right. It doesn't feel like I'm going too fast but slowing down further does prevent the spin so perhaps it is just the lack of perception of speed that's causing it. I've spun so many times at that corner that now I'm a little over-cautious there.

Zekken
27-04-2016, 11:31
Im going to revive this thread, Sorry for Necro, I see no point in making another. but, thanks to this thread and the helpful advice, I have managed to hit 17th place on the leaderboard for bathurst in the Mclaren P1 - a car that previously was undriveable for me. (okay, the actual record is 23rd I think, the 17th placing time was during an endurance race I did in the P1, and not a time trial event so it didn't get counted)

so, thanks a heap. I've been driving a lot better since and I've bumped the AI up from 60% to 90% while remaining competitive against them.

Invincible
27-04-2016, 12:22
Nice to see you finally made it.

The game can be really tough for newcomers, but it sure is rewarding. ;)